Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2016, 22:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
And has a little bit of exclusivity.
A very well written review Mr Blackwasp.
Infact we do know well you enjoy exclusively even in your four wheelers. Any plans of an upgrade to Aprilia?
Old 26th August 2016, 18:19   #17

Thank you for the quick response @blackwasp.

I apologize for the late response on my part as I am kind of caught up with unforseen health issues in the family.

Please do continue posting what you can and whenever you can as your posts are keenly followed by me.

In between running between hospitals am reading up on the 150 CC category of Vespa scooters and trying to understand pros and cons between CVT engines etc.

Saw the Aprilla scooter...did not like it on account of it being too 'skimpy' to carry off a brand image of Aprilla (at least the brand image I have if Aprilla anyways Some make like it and some may not.

Vespa 150s do look more rounded off than the Aprilla scooter.

But all in all a good attempt for scooter market to start showcasing 'sporty' scooters. I hope the companies that launch it do remember that most of us Indians grew up with 'scooter' standing in for reliability and servicability before anything else. IMO this baseline has not changed for the customers who opt for 'premium' scooters.

Am currently in Pune and on the sidelines trying to link up with Vespa owners to shortlist decent dealers etc.

Just got stumped with the health issues in the family. Hope all goes well!

Wish you and other owners of Vespa many safe miles ahead!

Taking this opportunity to thank the moderators of the forum for keeping it what it is. Its surprising how your efforts give a bit of 'exhaling' time to members who may be experiencing difficult situations in their lives or on the homefront in my case. Please don't read 'exhaling' in an incorrect or superficial way of acknowledging your efforts. I mean it in the most respectful of terms.
Old 26th August 2016, 21:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffius View Post

Just got stumped with the health issues in the family. Hope all goes well!

Wish you and other owners of Vespa many safe miles ahead!

Taking this opportunity to thank the moderators of the forum for keeping it what it is. Its surprising how your efforts give a bit of 'exhaling' time to members who may be experiencing difficult situations in their lives or on the homefront in my case.

Mate, first of all praying for good health in your family. Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding scooters and CVT and geared bikes, if your use is in traffic, then CVT will be a joy to use. Do go through the latest thread by @Hemanth.anand. He has travelled quite a bit on different Vespas and he has shared his experience wonderfully.

Vespas can keep up with traffic and the 150cc ones will be even better. The SR 150 though a sporty scooter, lacks the looks of vespa. And being a retro scooter in a modern avatar, Vespas are recognised easily.

So far my maintenance is also well inside my expectations. Eagerly waiting to take her out. You can expect some updates around 1st sept.
Old 14th April 2017, 00:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

18k kms update

18k kms done. Its a long time to update, but life has been busy. Took an off from work so got some time.

Not much usage since I started working in Feb last year. Time flies by, but nothing much has changed in the Vespa. She still turns heads ( especially when ridden by a lean guy wearing black jacket and black helmet with a smoked visor). Stopped doing the every 3 month servicing recommend by the manufacturer. Sticking to 3k kms and 4months service. Service costs have increased to around 700-750 for an oil change service. Moderate increase. Also gone are the days of getting servicing done in a day. Have to take prior appointment now. The Aprilla has improved the sales of Piaggio scooters. Every time I goto service, a minimum of 20 scooters are parked outside.

My work and my classes in the weekends have forced me to use our cars (Abarth + an uncle's 09 Spark) instead of the Vespa. Now the Vespa has been reduced to just a couple of trips a month and dad's trips to the local Park. However, I do try to go take her out occasionally and my favourite place is Datta Snacks at Palaspa Phata just ahead on Panvel. I go there for breakfast - mostly solo but sometimes with friends- and then goto office. Was thinking of upgrading to the SR 150 which was recently launched, but the Vespa simply has been too good. There is no reason to upgrade to any other scooter. She will be 4 years old in May 2017.

Niggles so far -
1.The LHS side mirror has a tendency to bend downwards while in motion. its not very loose, but gets annoying after sometime. I frequently have to adjust it when I'm riding.
2.The clock intermittently stops working and when I decide to take it to the Service centre, it's back to normal.

Parts replaced since last update-
1.Accelerator cable
2.Brake Cable
3.Rear Tyre - there was a big nail stuck and I drove for a bit leading to a tear. I thought it's wise to replace it.

FE has more or less remained consistent around 45-50kmpl.

Adding some random pictures.

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0891.jpg
Random photo - she's a looker

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_1361.jpg
One of the rare snaps of me riding

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_1426.jpg
Garage mates

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_1443.jpg
All set to go

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_4307.jpg
Good company

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_5007.png
One of the trips to Datta Snacks

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_5009.png
Can cruise all day long at 60-80kmph

The only regret I have regarding her is that I haven't yet taken her on a long trip. Many have been advising me against that, but some forum members have done good trips on their Vespas. Its certainly doable, but finding good company is important. Most people just zoom off ahead and then theres no fun of going together. Its better to go alone. So far, I've got a bunch of friends who share similar views on the speeds to be done during trips, so going to plan a trip with them soon.

Until the next update...
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 18:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

A significant update:

Had my first breakdown on the Vespa yesterday. It was a usual day to office and knowing that it was holiday for some, I expected less traffic. Decided to take the Vespa to stretch her legs. Unfortunately, she suddenly lost power. Thankfully I managed to bring her to the side without much issues except for annoying a Celerio driver.

Left it overnight neat a school and paid the watchman 50 bucks to keep and eye. On the way back home, BHPian johannskaria came to my aid and we tried our best to get her to start, but to no avail. Decided to leave the Vespa there and come back the next day.

Today afternoon, a friend and I went to check out if any mechanic is willing to come take a look. Most said no and couple of yes guys looked shady. Decided to bring her to home where my known mechanic (or myself) can work on her in peace. Used the LYNK app and got a Mahindra Maxximo. The 4 of us (my friend, me, the driver and co driver) managed to load her in the back and bring her home safely. Surprisingly was charged only Rs 400 + 55 bucks toll for an hours ride. Uber is expensive at times.

Here is what happened:

Parked like this:
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-5596b073935a4d0d83fea2479e633d27.jpg

Loading her in:
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_4827.jpg

Seating at the front is scary in this. Almost like Omni. Top speed limited to 40:
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-79ca9fb729484a5f9384c19285312321.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
A significant update:

Had my first breakdown on the Vespa yesterday.
What was the issue? Did you get it fixed?
Old 21st November 2018, 17:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Lockset is not making electrical contact. Not yet repaired as been quite a bit busy with home and work duties. Planning to do it next week.
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Lockset is not making electrical contact. Not yet repaired as been quite a bit busy with home and work duties. Planning to do it next week.
Did you face any issue with Silencer of Vespa yet?
What is the approx. cost of changing it?
Old 9th January 2019, 12:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Noticed yesterday that battery was puffed up so that's gotta go. This is the 2nd battery and will replace it today most probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Lockset was changed and I was charged Rs. 600 for ignition and seat lock + 2 keys. According to the technician, this is a known issue as lock mechanism is used to open the front storage leading to increased wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Did you face any issue with Silencer of Vespa yet?
What is the approx. cost of changing it?
Touchwood so far no big problem except for surface rusting of parts of exhaust and its pipe. There has been no change in the exhaust note so haven't considered any replacement yet. I have no idea on the price, you should get it from a local Vespa service centre.
Old 1st March 2019, 13:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
18k kms done.
2 years and just about 2000 kms done. Thanks to traffic and mom's safety concerns, the Vespa is clocking very few miles. I have changed the service interval to 6 months based on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I too feel LED projector is a overkill and it spoils the
I agree, and finally I have reverted back the stock setup. Turns out the usage of Vespa has significantly gone down. And I no longer have to worry about poor night illumination due to the same.

Quote:
Lockset was changed and I was charged Rs. 600 for ignition and seat lock + 2 keys. According to the technician, this is a known issue as lock mechanism is used to open the front storage leading to increased wear.
The rectifier and relay unit was also damaged and the same was replaced at a cost of some couple of thousand bucks. Apparently this is cheaper than the Active one!

Attaching some pics I took last night after I took her out after a long long time. Started on the 2nd crank:
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_6625.jpg

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_6623.jpg

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_6624.jpg
Old 20th February 2020, 21:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Posting another update since its been a while. Sometime over the last 3 months, the odd cable must have snapped. And since I had a go after ages, it was the first thing I noticed. The seat is also torn and needs to be re-upholstered.

Planning to get a service done soon and fixing it.

Here are some snaps I took just 5 mins back:
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0231.jpg

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0232.jpg

Last edited by blackwasp : 20th February 2020 at 21:35.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks