Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 12:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa

A bit late to post, but I'm a new Team-BHP member and was inspired by the following two members to post my experience with Vespa.
1.hemanth.anand
2.hillram

15 th March 2012
I was in college and my mom called me up with bad news - our Activa was stolen from the society premises some time the last night! Usually I take the Activa to the train station, but this day decided to go with a friend hence didn't know it was stolen till later in afternoon. Anger, Sadness, Disappointment were the emotions going through me at the same time. This was our second Activa and the first on which I learnt to drive and got my license- gearless scooter licence.

After coming to terms with the loss, it was decided to look for a new two-wheeler as it is very convenient to go short distances and run errands.

The choices
1. Activa
For
1.Tried and tested
2.Highly reliable
Against
1.Take it or leave it attitude of dealer - also forced us to buy accessories from him
2.Highly common sight (This in no way affected us)

2.Aviator
For
1.Something different than Activa
2.Disk brake
Against
1.Price
2.Same dealer and hence same problems

Up till now, the Vespa wasn't even in the picture due to its very high price ! However we went and checked out Spice Motors in Thane, and to say it was a bad experience is putting it mildly. The sales people were rude, arrogant and they were even charging handling charges. My dad was suddenly repulsed by the idea of Vespa even though he really liked the vehicle. We returned home disappointed.

Booked Aviator sometime in April 2013 with Rs1000 advance and was told delivery in 3 months! This was decided after taking into consideration the servicing woes of Honda near my place. The service centre looks very crowed. 9 am was the reporting time and without prior appointments (taken a week before) they wouldn't even let you stand outside. Serviced vehicles were parked on the street outside. And 9 out of 10 times there was water shortage - hence "no washing saar! "

However, the real story begins now. Vespa announced a price cut and that made its price comparable with Activa+accessories! Also to avoid the fiasco at the dealership, my friends and I decided to scout the Panvel Dealership - Kian motors. It was a stark contrast to Thane - or even other branded showrooms. They allowed us on longish test drives as well all the while explaining the features etc. patiently and never pestered us about when we were buying.

Now it was a time to convince Dad. So far I was praying that Honda doesn't send in a batch of Aviators. Finally one fine, day - 13th May 2013 - last day of my semester exams, we(Dad and I) decided to meet up at the dealership after exams. We were shown the colours, but we had already decided on Black. Upon enquiring the waiting time, we were surprised when told we could take the vehicle today itself ! This was at 6pm or so.

Here's the sweet deal. The final price including the insurance (zero dep), registration came out to Rs67,200. This was almost the price of Aviator. Unfortunately, I was unable to get Vespa branded helmet as it was unavailable in my size.

Did not take any pictures as it was dark and I was just too excited to bring home such a beauty to our stable. Drove home gingerly that evening. Few days later, visited the Honda dealership and canceled the booking and got the booking amount via a check.

Initial Impressions
1a.Italians sure know how to design beautiful vehicles (BTW it's a she definitely)
1b.Everyone will turn heads as you go past them
2.Outstanding pick up
3.Superb mileage
4.The side foot rest is mounted on guards which we did not opt for. Hence it is not possible to sit side facing for the pillion
5.I'm a 6 footer and I find it extremely comfortable to sit. My knees would bang the handle bars while turning on Activa and Access
6.Pillion should always hold on to the rider or the grab handles all the time, especially during moving from standstill. The acceleration will catch you unawares even at just 30-40% rotation of accelerator.

Accessories purchased over time
1.Studds Helmet
2.LS2 mesh jacket with CE approved armour and removable rain and winter linings
3.Led headlight
4.MT Axxis helmet

Now I will let the pictures do the talking.

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0308.jpg
The morning after bringing her home, beside our Punto

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_20141214_104131.jpg
First long-ish ride to Sewri to see Flamingoes

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_20141214_104111.jpg
Jacket, helmet, gloves - definitely recommended

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-10152084460601448.jpg
side by side Yamaha FZ

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-10152084458686448.jpg
You can carry a bag in the footwell !

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0280.jpg
Getting dirty in the rains - still a looker

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0341.jpg
I like to wash and wax myself, but I get a professional job done after monsoons.

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img20150807wa0000.jpeg
This pic was taken 4 days ago.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th August 2015 at 07:50. Reason: Spacing
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Black Vespa LX 125 - Ownership report continued

A Vespa is an ideal vehicle for you if
1.You like to stick to the speed limits of the road
2.Your commute is inside the city limits
3.Once in a while you travel on highways

Fortunately, in my case, all the above points were met and Vespa still amazes me. To get a smile at your face, just wait for a traffic signal to turn green and move off from the stop line. Up till 60 kmph, you will be ahead most of the other vehicles. It has a very good 125cc, 3 valve Aluminium engine and CVT gearbox (9.76 bhp @ 7,500 rpm and 10.6 Nm @ 6,000 rpm).

The Drive
It is possible to stay at 70-80 kmph all day long. No strain on the engine. Upwards of 90-100 kmph she runs out of breath, but that wasn't on my criterion at all. She is nimble yet rock solid at any speed due to her monocoque chassis. Performance has definitely improved over the years. Engine is smoother and the exhaust makes a sweet sound. Travelling with a pillion, just climb any flyover and you will realise what a gem of an engine it is.

Suspension is superb. You won't feel the bad patches at all. But the moon crater potholes will cause you to navigate it carefully and at low speeds. The front is an aircraft inspired anti-dive single side-arm and the rear is dual shock absorbers.

The brakes as per a few people were reported as poor. However after using it for a while now, I have realised that the brakes are good enough. It must be said that using both front and the rear ones simultaneously will give you proper braking. The rear wheel tends to lock up in case of hard braking, yet she will not fish tail out of control. She maintains her composure while braking.

My only disappointment with Vespa is the stock headlight. It is extremely poor. You can't even see 10 feet ahead of you in the dark. Hence decided to upgrade the light. Following are the pictures.

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_20150604_224518671.jpg
with only pilot lamps on

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_20150604_224526549.jpg
with low beam on

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_20150604_224533964.jpg
with high beam on

Another issues are the wheels, they are 10" ones but internationally Vespa sells LX with 12" wheels too. That said this is only an upgrade and the current tires are sufficient. The low speed pothole navigating ability is superb. Just go slow and you won't feel any harsh bumps.

Unfortunately, there were two incidents till date that caused damage to her.

1.A stray stone hit the underbody just behind the front wheel well. It caused a dent, almost 6-7 cm wide. The only sound I heard was a slight 'thud' and the stone did not cause any loss of control. Mind you, this took place on Sion-Panvel highway outside Juinagar station and at a good speed (> 60 kmph). There was a lot of debris dumped on the side of the road during the road widening work. Took a good 2 weeks to repair and paint since the whole panel was re-painted. Workshop people were proficient and did an excellent job.

2.Waiting to take a right turn, there were cars ahead of me, but stationary due to traffic , was T-boned by a rashly driven Activa. The front wheel hit Vespa below the front glovebox on the left side. The activa guy was driving in between cars and didn't see all the stationary cars ahead of him. Fortunately the damage was only a cracked footboard. Funnily the Activa's mudguard went into the front wheel and it would not rotate. I was not at all hurt since both my feet were on the ground. This was just 100 meters from my home. I was wearing my MT helmet and LS2 jacket at the time. Please wear protective gear even if you are going out to buy some milk

In both cases insurance took care of the expenses and being zero dep I was not charged even a penny.

Kitna deti hai section
I rigorously maintained a log of fuel + distance for first 6 months and some of the observations are:
Avg mileage in first 3 months - 43.6kmpl
Avg mileage in second 3 months - 53 kmpl
Avg of 6 months - 48.3 kmpl

All calculations were done using the tank full to tank full method. The initial mileage was very poor - in the run in period. The best mileage was while maintaining a steady 65 kmph as indicated on the speedometer. If your speeds fall below 50, you will get terrible mileage. I don't know why, but at speeds 60-70 kmph you get the best mileage, before falling at higher speeds. Piaggio should have given a bigger fuel tank though - 7 litres feels a bit on the lesser side, though its a bit higher than some other brands.

Service experience
The paid and free services are alternate up till the 2nd year. Service costs are remarkably lesser them my expectations. The free service is actually free - I have 2 bills for Rs. 0.00 and some for around Rs. 200 if oil was replaced. Paid services are around Rs. 400 (only servicing) and 600 (oil + oil filter replaced). I found this acceptable since Vespa uses the Petronas synthetic oil (5W40 grade).

Also the servicing happens without any rush, although there has been a steady increase in number of Vespas coming in these days. The last service was just 4 days ago. Perhaps my experience is so much better due to the competent people at the workshop.

Incidents to show Vespa is a head turner
1. I was flagged down by a traffic cop. I started to remove my wallet to show licence and insurance, when he stopped me and said "vo sabh hoga aapke paas. Gadi maast hai! Kitna mileage hai ? " (You must have the papers. The vehicle is awesome! How's the mileage?) . Chatted up with him for a couple minutes and went.

2. A mall parking attendant was highly impressed by Vespa and asked if I had got it a few days ago. The expression on his face was priceless when I mentioned that she's almost a year old.

3.Innumerable incidents of people ogling her (verb. to look amorously, flirtatiously, or impertinently).

Parting shots
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0349.jpg
At Belapur, above the railway tunnel

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0367.jpg
12k kms done, and many more expected

Last edited by Aditya : 13th August 2015 at 07:48. Reason: Formatting, spacing
blackwasp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 07:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 13th August 2015, 09:25   #4
BHPian

Excellent write-up blackwasp. It was very interesting to read the brief history, the entire buying process and you've touched upon very pertinent points in the ownership part.

She is a beauty and a head turner for sure. I did like the gloss, round headlamp version more than the matte black, square headlight one ( Vespa S ). Wishing you many happy miles and smiles on her
Old 13th August 2015, 09:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a details thread about the Italian beauty!

You are right about its looks, quality of product ride quality and lights
I too ride one, a VX one thoughand has done 9k plus on it. I also ride a friend's black Vespa LX and hence my feedback is based on these.

1) Head light looks good but isn't that great. Its average like you said.
2) Braking in LX is very bad for the speed it can go.
3) Guess #2 is also coz of the tyres of LX. The ones ones in VX is good. Would recommend that when you change.
4) Maintenance is nill or cheap . All I do is company prescribed oil change.
Old 14th August 2015, 10:41   #6
BANNED

Re: 2013 Black Vespa LX 125 - Ownership report continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
12k kms done, and many more expected
Thank you very much for sharing.

This is the first time I'm reading through a Vespa ownership experience on TBhp. Earlier I never bothered.

I've always underestimated the Vespa. And the pricing was exorbitant. Other than the looks, I didn't find anything. But this is fantastic. I didn't know it was so much better. Seems the extra moolah is worth it.

How much did the projector setup cost you? How much of a difference did it make?

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 14th August 2015 at 10:49.
Old 14th August 2015, 10:48   #7
BHPian

Re: Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa

Your Italian scooter looks stunner in black clothes! Seems you are admirer of Italian products since you have the gorgeous blue Italian Hatchback too! Nevertheless their design language seldom ages.

It is really admiration that you have brought the jacket and gloves along with helmet too which genuine riders does while riding on the scooter.

I am definitely recommending this thread to the people who rides scooter without protective gears.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Excellent write-up blackwasp. It was very interesting to read the brief history, the entire buying process and you've touched upon very pertinent points in the ownership part.

She is a beauty and a head turner for sure...
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good to see a details thread about the Italian beauty!

1) Head light looks good but isn't that great. Its average like you said.
2) Braking in LX is very bad for the speed it can go.
3) Guess #2 is also coz of the tyres of LX. The ones ones in VX is good. - yes, VX gets tubeless where as the LX has standard tube ones. Also the tread patterns are different as well.
4) Maintenance is nill or cheap . All I do is company prescribed oil change.-This is the best part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Thank you very much for sharing.

This is the first time I'm reading through a Vespa ownership experience on TBhp. Earlier I never bothered.

I've always underestimated the Vespa. And the pricing was exorbitant. Other than the looks, I didn't find anything. But this is fantastic. I didn't know it was so much better. Seems the extra moolah is worth it.

How much did the projector setup cost you? How much of a difference did it make? - Cost varies according to the bulb wattage and any features. The one I got is worth around Rs4000. Fitting cost will be another 400-500 depending on your negotiating power.
Thank you. Yes, at first glance the Vespa does seem pricy, but when one adds all the factors like safely, looks, handling, mileage and servicing costs, it becomes a VFM product. Also Vespa will last you ages. Its definitely going to be a long term affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Wanderlust View Post
Your Italian scooter looks stunner in black clothes! Seems you are admirer of Italian products since you have the gorgeous blue Italian Hatchback too! Nevertheless their design language seldom ages.

It is really admiration that you have brought the jacket and gloves along with helmet too which genuine riders does while riding on the scooter.

I am definitely recommending this thread to the people who rides scooter without protective gears.
Thanks. It was just sheer luck Fiat offered a nice discount when we got it. Other wise we would be having an Indica

Regarding the proper gear, bike or a scooter, if you fall at 40 kmph, the damage will be same to you. I usually try to even get the pillion to wear the other helmet (I have 2) but usually not successful. If someone benefits from this I'll be glad. Also a tip, incase of a scooter , you can store the jacket in the under seat storage, helmet wont fit, but bikers have to carry their jacket after parking.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on acquiring Vespa.
I see a Xenon headlight. Can you throw some light on this accessory - Cost , Fitting procedure , effectiveness etc.
Also remove the front number plate sticker and make it a little strip under horn casing and also get rid of the orange sticker.
Go for white wall inserts for the wheels, it will give a neo-retro look.
Enjoy your ride with a helmet always. Best Wishes.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 20:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Congratulations on acquiring Vespa.
I see a Xenon headlight. Can you throw some light on this accessory - Cost , Fitting procedure , effectiveness etc.
Also remove the front number plate sticker and make it a little strip under horn casing and also get rid of the orange sticker.
Go for white wall inserts for the wheels, it will give a neo-retro look.
Enjoy your ride with a helmet always. Best Wishes.
It's a LED light with a projector. Costed me about RS. 4000. Fitting wise, it fits a bit snuggly, since the speedometer cable is right behind it. It however doesn't touch it. For fitting, headlamp bulb holder (reflector) had to be increased in size a bit to accommodate the LED. The clear glass also had to be heated and opened to fit the projector part of the light. Re-sealed with silicon and took couple of hrs to dry. You can see the light in the photo above, it is really effective. Initially people complained that it blinded them, but after adjusting the screw which changes the reflector angle solved this problem. However please note that it is only necessary if you do night/early morning riding. Otherwise it does not make sense to upgrade the light.

The numberplate sticker was originally as you mentioned in a strip below the horn grill, but it had come off. Ideally the best option is no numberplate at front .
The orange sticker was necessary as its for my college parking. However in December I can get rid of it and put a new numberplate sticker.

White walls are definitely a planned upgrade. Could you give me some pointers about it ? Like how is it fitter and more importantly can it be cleaned easily? Can those be found in Mumbai ? Your wasp looks great with those.

Last edited by blackwasp : 18th August 2015 at 20:43.
Old 18th August 2015, 20:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
It's a LED light with a projector. Costed me about RS. 4000. Fitting wise, it fits a bit snuggly, since the speedometer cable is right behind it. It however doesn't touch it. For fitting, headlamp bulb holder (reflector) had to be increased in size a bit to accommodate the LED. The clear glass also had to be heated and opened to fit the projector part of the light. Re-sealed with silicon and took couple of hrs to dry. You can see the light in the photo above, it is really effective. Initially people complained that it blinded them, but after adjusting the screw which changes the reflector angle solved this problem. However please note that it is only necessary if you do night/early morning riding. Otherwise it does not make sense to upgrade the light.

The numberplate sticker was originally as you mentioned in a strip below the horn grill, but it had come off. Ideally the best option is no numberplate at front .
The orange sticker was necessary as its for my college parking. However in December I can get rid of it and put a new numberplate sticker.

White walls are definitely a planned upgrade. Could you give me some pointers about it ? Like how is it fitter and more importantly can it be cleaned easily? Can those be found in Mumbai ? Your wasp looks great with those.
I too feel LED projector is a overkill and it spoils the retro look of the headlights.
I will PM you the details about White Wall Inserts.
Old 17th October 2015, 10:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures I took yesterday. Yes, it spoils the retro look, but this time is function over form. I'd rather look badly dressed than not be able to see at night.

Another solution is to get a Hid xenon kit with new reflector (that supports Hid) which is more expensive + I don't know if it's available in India for Vespa.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-1445056463836.jpg  

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-1445056483129.jpg  

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-1445056497236.jpg  

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-1445056515555.jpg  

blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

A small update - 15k kms done. I have recently started to use Vespa for my daily commute to office - 48 kms both ways. The performance is as usual quite good. And mileage I get varies between 48-53. However had a small setback. The RHS plastic clip, connecting the two halves of the front handlebar panels broke. This caused vibrations during moving from stand still. Upon asking the service center for the part availability, they said it'll take a while. So as usual did a Jugaad - Used 3-4 cable ties (zip tie?) and made a bracelet like thing to hold the two halves of the handle bar panels. Works like a charm, and the black zip ties are not noticeable from far. I was initially planning to replace the damaged part, but since this solution is working, I'm no longer in a hurry to replace it.

I've also decided to do servicing twice yearly instead of every 3 months, and between those services I'll monitor the engine oil levels and top up if needed. Some pics now.

Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_0971.jpg
Sunset at Panvel
Ownership Report: 2013 Black Vespa-img_1280.jpg
Random pic taken on highway
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 13:01   #14

Thank you for writing your review about the Vespa!

Up until now I was pretty much in the dark regarding Vespa. But your diligent updates made for a pleasurable reading and that too from an actual user.

Noticed the lack of quick availability of spares (major or minor) from the service center. Has the RHS Clip been made available to you ?

Please do write further about your continuing experience with 'The Italian'. It must be now beyond the 15k reading on the odometer...real mechanical issues or lack thereof must be making themselves felt by now...

I am on the fence regarding gear less scooters and so far have none to be satisfactory in proportion to the money spent in purchasing them. (Used to have a RE STD 500 but had to let it go)

Thanks again for writing your experiences. Wishing you many safe miles on the Vespa.
Old 14th August 2016, 22:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffius View Post
Thank you for writing your review about the Vespa!

Noticed the lack of quick availability of spares (major or minor) from the service center. Has the RHS Clip been made available to you ?

I am on the fence regarding gear less scooters and so far have none to be satisfactory in proportion to the money spent in purchasing them. (Used to have a RE STD 500 but had to let it go)

Common parts is not an issue. The panel would have taken 2-3 days to come, another day to paint and fit. Combined with a weeekend coming up I couldn't part ways with Vespa for so long. I'll probably get it done sometime in next 2-3 months since I really don't mind the cable tie solution.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but the monsoon season makes riding a tad difficult. Not the rains, but the potholes! Hence not much running in but have crossed 16k kms. Usually I start her up twice or thrice a week and take a short ride near home. Current using car to commute to office. Will start using post monsoons.

Regarding scooters, if you want the convenience of riding compared to bikes ( in traffic especially ) and have someone else in family using them, go for scooters. Else you can buy decent bikes in the price of Vespa's these days. The 150cc ones have crossed the one lakh rupees barrier. IMO, I would have thought many times if I would have purchased mine at current prices. But even today, she's a head turner. And has a little bit of exclusivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks