Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 11:27   #91
BHPian

Re: PAPS, my Enfield Bullet 500 (Forest Green) Ownership reports

Updates on this thread from whats been happening to PAPS in the meanwhile.

1. At around 8000Kms the self start did not pick. Had a fateful morning kicking the machine back to life and had my knee's down with pain for a week.
Solution: removed the battery. Cleaned up the terminals. Opened up with a coin. checked the fluid levels and topped it up. Applied vaseline at the terminals and no more starting issues. On checking with a multimeter, the initial ignition needs ~12.8 volts for the starter motor. While all the lights in the circuits need ~5 to 7 volts only. So if the battery aint giving ~12 volts, the self start could give up on you.

2. The exhaust had a funny brownish fine dust like deposit in the internal cylinder. Cleaned it up with a touch of ethanol and looks fine. Not sure why this would get deposited? Any expert opinions please?

3. At 8200 Kms, THe left pilot light went kaput. Fuse out. Bought green lights (12V 2W) and fixed them. However was surprised to find these were disco lights . Now the Pilot lights blink on and off .
Am sure it would have an impact on the tungsten filament. lets see how long it goes. The cost was only 10 rupees. hence trying it out for sometime.
Shall upload a video of this shortly.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 00:07   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PAPS, my Enfield Bullet 500 (Forest Green) - Selection, purchase & review

It sounds like things are going well for PAPS.

You did touch on something I really haven't mentioned.

Over time, most lead/acid batteries develop small leaks around their battery terminals. It is usually too small to see but it is large enough to allow some of the batteries acid to contaminate the terminals.

If this happens the terminal and the wiring connector can corrode.
Most of the corrosion is not conductive to the flow of electricity so the power that is in the battery can't get to the places it needs to be to do things like crank the engine, power the lights, the ignition and fuel pump on fuel injected models.
The corrosion can also reduce the amount of power from the alternator so the battery does not get recharged like it could and should be.

Removing the wires and lightly scraping any dull looking oxides off of the terminals and wiring connectors will get things back to normal.
Also, applying a bit of Vaseline or dielectric grease to the terminals/connectors before reassembling them will prevent future corrosion.

Gasoline (Petrol) contains a lot of different additives to do a number of things ranging from increasing the octane to cleaning carburetor jets and fuel injector nozzles.

Most of these things do not burn so they become deposited on the interior of the silencer, often looking like brown or tan dust.
It is normal and nothing to worry about.

As for flashing lights, to each his own I say.

If they don't look like turn indicators and the law doesn't have heartburn with them they could actually be a benefit.
The unusual nature of flashing lights will call the attention of drivers to them so they are more likely to see you.
If they see you, they might not pull out in front of you.
Then again, they might so NEVER trust anyone or anything to do the expected.

Ride safe.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 10:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Over time, most lead/acid batteries develop small leaks around their battery terminals. It is usually too small to see but it is large enough to allow some of the batteries acid to contaminate the terminals.

Most of these things do not burn so they become deposited on the interior of the silencer, often looking like brown or tan dust.
It is normal and nothing to worry about.

As for flashing lights, to each his own I say.

Ride safe.
Thanks for the inputs. really helps to understand the machine and mechanics better.
On 1 - completely agree. its difficult to spot minor corrosion on copper wires.
on 2 - so , if these dont get deposited on the exhaust, they go into the air as pollutants isnt it? :(

On 3 - Here is a small video of the lights. Shall check with the local cops if its ok, shall continue, else would change the bulbs.
Old 8th February 2017, 19:31   #94
BHPian

@FuelInjector ... Should have read your review before making my payment @ Sheriff Motors. Now I am going through the phase of Nightmare with them.

One line from my experience. Stay Away from Sheriff Motors....

If their sales is so pathetic not sure what their service is going to be ...
Old 9th February 2017, 04:49   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
@FuelInjector ... Should have read your review before making my payment @ Sheriff Motors. Now I am going through the phase of Nightmare with them.

One line from my experience. Stay Away from Sheriff Motors....

If their sales is so pathetic not sure what their service is going to be ...
I guess you have only paid the booking amount. Why not simply cancel it and then go with the RE Showroom folks ?
mshooli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 09:02   #96
BHPian

Have been mentioned I will be allotted a vehicle only after paying the full amount on 11th Jan. After getting the vehicle details, eventually found that it was used as a display vehicle which I rejected. Though my new one got allotted last week with the help of Area Sales Manager, still waiting for delivery of the same.

Now the blame is on RTO for not registering the vehicle not sure if that is a true scenario though.. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:05   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Though my new one got allotted last week with the help of Area Sales Manager, still waiting for delivery of the same.
Which variant have you booked? let me know if you need any help. Have some contacts in RE company store in Avanashi road whom we can seek advise.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Which variant have you booked? let me know if you need any help. Have some contacts in RE company store in Avanashi road whom we can seek advise.
Thanks for the help FuelInjector. Just spoke to them and heard it will be sent to RTO today. Let me see if I get a positive response by afternoon.
Old 9th February 2017, 20:50   #99
BHPian

Got my Thunderbird 350 Flicker Black today .. It's a great feeling and couldn't explain. Thanks FuelInjector & mshooli for your supporting words.. Named her Black Bird.
Attached Thumbnails
PAPS, my Enfield Bullet 500 (Forest Green) - Selection, purchase & review-img_20170209_184917.jpg  

lightpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 09:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Named her Black Bird.
wonderful name. Its a very good bike. Do take care of your bird and am sure you will have a great time flying around.
Wishing you many many miles of happiness!

BTW - there is a T-BHP coimbatore group. if interested PM me your number and i shall add you to the list. we meet up almost every week.
Old 10th February 2017, 19:04   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
wonderful name. Its a very good bike. Do take care of your bird and am sure you will have a great time flying around.
Wishing you many many miles of happiness!

BTW - there is a T-BHP coimbatore group. if interested PM me your number and i shall add you to the list. we meet up almost every week.
Thank You very much . Have PM'ed my number.
lightpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Hello FuelInjector,

I was going through the forum and came across your PAPS. How is your PAPs these days?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks