Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 21:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa sells >10 lakh scooters in 5 months!

Having ridden the Activa, I would think some of the customers could have done better. The ride has never been to my liking. I think its the higher center of gravity compared to the Wego i own. Turns at moderately high speeds have had me scared quite a bit. But yes, reliability and low maintenance are big plus points in this case, which is what would matter to the average customer looking to buy a scooter.
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 22:56   #32
BHPian

This couldn't have come at better time. Indeed the fuss free ownership of Honda has come in handy. Bought Activa 125 DLX 10 months back. The vehicle has crossed 4500 kms (strictly city) and heck there isn't a single breakdown/parts wear or anything like that. The service bills have stood awesomely reasonable. The ride is stress free and very much enjoyable. Honda at very best.

Sharing pic of my current rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Activa sells >10 lakh scooters in 5 months!-dsc03530-2.jpg  

anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 13:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I personally don't let a salesman's attitude affect my choice of vehicle. I have to live with the car - not the salesman - for 5 to 10 years. If I like a car, I'll buy it...no matter how broken the sales experience might be.
You are right it shouldn't affect. Since you are buying the product and it should be solely based on the techno-commercial merits.

But people with king sized egos walking into the showroom behave really irrationally. And that usually means buying something else to satisfy the broken ego.

Of course there is a limit to such behavior. People often walk out from kirana shops if the attendant/shopkeeper is slow. Because they have the confidence that they will get the same thing from somewhere else -OR- perhaps even slightly more expensive thing but the price difference is less than the price of the bruised ego.

Will it (the situation) be the same for something as expensive as a Rs 15 Lakh car? Doubtful.
What about a Rs 3 lakh vehicle? Perhaps.
Scooter/Bike? More likely

###
Before someone concocts a surreptitious malicious intent of my post: My post is not at all directed towards Rahul or his purchases.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th September 2015 at 13:12.
Old 29th September 2015, 17:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Activa deserves this! . Such a wonderful product it is. I have 2 of them, 1st is a 2002 model and second one is 2014. In these 12 years, body panels have changed, engine, price etc. However Honda have kept the basics right, Reliability and simplicity. Apart from cold start problems, i don't remember of any problems.
My 1st gen Activa is mainly for farm use. It can carry not less than 200-300 kilos and never refused to pull.Road or no road, Activa isn't bothered much.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 23:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
...But if the showrooms are not keen to explain the product properly, if they are not keen even to offer a test ride, then? Forget test ride, many of them do not even have a demo scooter many times!

In such case, why to buy a product without testing just because it sells in huge numbers? And that too when you have choices in a competitive market? That's what I did...
I agree with Rahul. The dealership is the face of the company as far as the public is concerned. We can't expect everyone to be technically sound as BHPians! It definitely is the dealership's responsibility to provide adequate information as well as a test ride to all prospective customers. If they don't do it, they tend t lose customers like Rahul to competitors - however behind they might be in sales numbers, or even other Honda dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
...But people with king sized egos walking into the showroom behave really irrationally. And that usually means buying something else to satisfy the broken ego...

...People often walk out from kirana shops if the attendant/shopkeeper is slow. Because they have the confidence that they will get the same thing from somewhere else -OR- perhaps even slightly more expensive thing but the price difference is less than the price of the bruised ego...
I really didn't get the point you're trying to make. Are you trying to say that all prospective customers who defer their purchase - either at a 2 wheeler showroom or a kirana shop - are doing so because of their ego? If so, I beg to differ!

If I go to a provision store and the guy there is slow or rude or simply doesn't acknowledge my presence, I go to a different shop so that I can do business with someone who actually deserves it! Same applies to a 2 wheeler showroom. If a customer goes back without making a purchase, or makes a purchase elsewhere and is happy about it, the one who is losing out is the shop/dealer, however big they are.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:51   #36
BANNED

One reason why they sell so many. It's a monopoly market.

Suzukis are simply too grandfather type in particular their silly front mudguard. Plus the mileage is in the low 30's.

Kinetic is a dubious company. I wouldn't buy a cycle from them.

Mahindra..well I'd buy their jeeps but not the scooters as that division of their business is still dubious. It looks like a rebranded Chinese import.

Coming to the Wego: a friend runs a general two wheeler service center. It's quite a big one. I've sat often in the engine repair bay. If you open up an Activa's engine fully you get say 100 parts. If you open up a Wego there'd be at least 200-300 bits and pieces in it.

I'd buy a Yamaha scooter if only they'd make it special somehow. Like their RX's.
Old 2nd October 2015, 14:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

I'd buy a Yamaha scooter if only they'd make it special somehow. Like their RX's.
I thought Yamaha would see a ray of hope with their Ray, in automatic scooters. But I'm surprised it fizzled out. I came very close to buying it but then went ahead and bought Dio as the dealer offered good price on my old Activa which I traded in for sleeker Dio.
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One reason why they sell so many. It's a monopoly market.
This is the actual reason. Honda motorcycles had a 6 year headway before any competition came (Suzuki Access in 2007). The first mover advantage and the lead time ensured, word went around.

It was also the time the market matured and moved towards automatic scooter as a convenience. It should also be mentioned that Activa is also appealed to men, not just college going guys or women. That is where it got the numbers, as opposed to Scooty (which was girly, they've positioned themselves so seeing the initial response).

Bajaj did try their hand with Sunny more or less when Scooty started. I guess they discontinued long before Activa even came into existence.

In effect HMSI became the 'Maruti Suzuki' of scooter market.

Quote:
Suzukis are simply too grandfather type in particular their silly front mudguard. Plus the mileage is in the low 30's.
Owning one, mileage isn't in low 30s. When I was actively using, I've mid to high-40s and occasional low 50s too when I was regularly maintaining it. Even in the occasional use days (when I was more biased to driving), I used to get low 40s when the maintenance became occasional.

The numbers aren't any different from Activa's in close family.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 18:33   #39
BHPian

The news really brought a smile on my face. I was "The one" Among many others who bought Activa without even a test ride or without ridden any activa ever before! This was the only scooter which appealed me most. I completely ignored other scooters before making buying decision. A fact which I realize now after four years of ownership. The only disappointment I had was about mileage. I was expecting somewhere around 50 kmpl but to my shock I got 35 kmpl consistently! The good thing is that it doesn't drop below 35 kmpl The scooter has been very very reliable. Pick up is good and what else do we need! So I wont be surprised in future again if I am suppose to buy a scooter it will be no doubt again an Activa!

Coming on to the topic I think Activa deserve this market share as they innovated the product which couldn't be matched up by any competitor. Off late I am seeing all other scooter manufacturers are coming up with Activa look like models!
Old 6th October 2015, 11:51   #40
BHPian

A snapshot on scooter sales by different manufacturers in the first five months of FY16.

Source:SIAM
Attached Images

subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 15:23   #41
BHPian

Well I knew the Activa sold like hot cakes, but I could have never imagined the scale. 10 Lakh scooters is some serious number.
As fellow Tbhpians have already mentioned, Activa has become a generic brand. Any gearless scooter in India is by default referred to as Activa. Just like Maggi (was) to Noodles and Xerox is to photocopy. And the loyalty is more towards Activa than Honda. I tried hard to convince my wife that Honda Dio seemed a better buy but in vain.

Kudos to S2 for this thread and to GTO for the number munching with the profits.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 7th October 2015 at 15:29.
Old 9th October 2015, 18:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Having ridden the Activa, I would think some of the customers could have done better. The ride has never been to my liking. I think its the higher center of gravity compared to the Wego i own. Turns at moderately high speeds have had me scared quite a bit. But yes, reliability and low maintenance are big plus points in this case, which is what would matter to the average customer looking to buy a scooter.
+1 to this. We had an Activa and a Dio. Both did not serve us well. Frequent breakdowns, mechanical issues, pathetic mileage, even worse service centers, expensive to maintain. Add to that, the ride and handling was terrible of both. My dad and mum absolutely hated the weight of the Activa. The Dio's headlight design has to be one of the worst ever.

Now my Mum uses a 7 year old Hero Honda Pleasure (which is the only two wheeler at home now) which is way better than the Honda twins. Other than a couple of punctures, we've had no issues whatsoever.

Have ridden my friend's Wego too and that thing blows the honda twins when it comes to ride and handling.

Regards,
Aniketh
Old 10th October 2015, 11:38   #43
BHPian

I am a happy activa owner for past 3 years. Keep in mind, it does not offer any riding comfort, back breaking over pot holes and humps. However, it starts without fail, never troubled me ever ! Runs like a reliable horse, services were never beyond 1100 rupees. Still having the original bulbs working fine. The Dealer and After sales service/support is pathetic. But the product is reliable that the pain is overshadowed. Its slow but runs smoothly always.
Old 13th October 2015, 12:07   #44
BHPian

Came close to buying one, but the arrogance of the Honda showroom people kept me away. Now thinking of the Yamahas. Be it 10 lakh or 20, keep your arrogance to yourself Honda. It was even more funny, as the sales guy pitched the Activa to someone whose waiting for the CBR250 was prolonged! *facepalm*

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks