Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 23:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Anti-Pollution Masks for Bikers

I have used Respra masks when I used to bike (bicycle) to work.

http://www.amazon.in/Respra-Facewear...d-14aa7dee2700

The mask is good when you are breathing lightly i.e on a motorbike. But was not very useful for heavy breathing as in when you bicycle hard. I always had to take the mask out when I had to breathe heavy.

Try it out. I actually had donated a couple of them to our Traffic policemen friends too. Thats how much I liked these.
sk7671 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 10:51   #17
BHPian

as mentioned by gthang, mine are purchased from a hardware store. not sure if the prices would be relevant as my company purchases in bulk. but theyre not hard to find at all, and not that expensive.
bivin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 12:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Here's a link (as always, no stake/personal interest/pecuniary benefits): http://www.ebay.in/itm/161825101392
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Is the workaround effective? I think so, because, I rarely get the smell of petrol or diesel fumes inside the helmet (but I do get other smells like dead rats etc. in full intensity ) and if I move the mask out of its place, I start getting plenty of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
I use these .. theyre called carbon filters.. theyre a lot more effecctive for filtering out dust etc.. not ergonomic imo but does the job.. and im someone with a very sensitive respiratory system. there are cheap and disposable. i use 1 for about a week depending on usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Avoid using cheap masks available online.

Please go through the following link for a suitable mask for your purpose:

http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...94857442&rt=r3

Visit your nearest hardware store selling Safety equipment, and if they don't have in stock, you can order by 3M part number.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
I have used Respra masks when I used to bike (bicycle) to work.

http://www.amazon.in/Respra-Facewear...d-14aa7dee2700

Try it out. I actually had donated a couple of them to our Traffic policemen friends too. Thats how much I liked these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
but theyre not hard to find at all, and not that expensive.
Thanks, people!

If nothing else, I'm sandwiching a couple of these filters with my cabin air filter on my car [no 3M activated charcoal filter available for my car - AStar].
Old 13th October 2015, 13:27   #19
BHPian

If you wear spectacles, then you have very little option. I bought a Respro and its lying unused as its shape is not compatible with spectacles. I use Respra instead which is the best compromise I could find
fash_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 16:59   #20
BHPian

I use a sparton balclava inside my MT helmet. It does a very good job of blocking the dust particles. It does get a little sweaty inside and mess up your hair. But i comb it back on..

PS: I ride through roads that are so dusty; its hard to see the car/bike 10 feet from you. My balclava does a very good job. Its cloth, so not water proof.. And it costs around Rs.250.
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:39   #21
BHPian

I had to look up "balclava", I always thought it was some sort of snack .
It is this - "balaclava" and looks like a mask. Another thought, it might work better if wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-Pollution Masks for Bikers-balaclava.jpg  

Last edited by mvadg : 15th October 2015 at 17:40.
Old 15th October 2015, 18:22   #22
BHPian

There is an air filter "woodyknows" which you put in the nostril. It looks inconspicuous and comparatively comfortable. Also, it works as well as any other good air filter money can buy. It is on slightly expensive side compared to the others. I bought one for around INR 1300 (available in India for ~2300) on Ali express. There are different sizes available according to your nostril size. Works pretty well.
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 15:29   #23
BHPian

Masks are no good if they do not form an airtight fit on the face. facial hair prevents a good fit. surgical masks are not particularly good for particulate matter 2.5 or smaller. Get some standard 3M masks of the N95 variety, make sure you have a proper seal between the edges of the mask and your face- I have used 3M face masks in Hyderabad whike commuting daily by motorcycle- there is a big difference visually between a new mask and one worn for about two months. I used to change my masks every two months.
epijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 13:49   #24
BHPian

Here is a comprehensive resource from 3M:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...s-selector.pdf

Watch out! Do not buy the following (no such mask by 3M themselves, the seller is falsely claiming it to be a pollution filter). It is only a particulate filter and 3M makes no claim about pollution. Many such ads all over. Read the above document from 3M.
http://www.amazon.in/3M-Anti-Polluti...dp/B00S9PGGMO/

Read this

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/201...get-that-mask/

Above link recommends some masks [trust them at your own risk!]
or this:
http://www.theworldofchinese.com/201...ng-face-masks/

Chinese urbanites are spending millions on anti-pollution masks—and most of them don’t do anything

Came across this:

It’s been a tough week for breathing in Beijing and other parts of northern China.
Quote:

Blue skies were finally visible in the capital on Thursday after the region suffered from seven straight days of intense pollution, sending consumers out in droves to buy pollution masks.
Although Thursday’s weather brought a collective sigh of relief from the masses, if past records are any indication, the pollution is bound to return. So one Beijing doctor is asking: what actually makes a good face mask?
Not every mask is equally effective, says Dr. Richard Saint Cyr, a family physician with Beijing United Family Healthcare.
Air masks for sale at a 7-Eleven in Beijing.Debra Bruno
Wearing simple cotton masks or those that don’t fully seal against the face could actually be dangerous because it leads to a false sense of security and even more time outdoors, he says.
“It disturbs me that people are walking around thinking wearing these things is safe, but they almost certainly are not,” says Dr. Saint Cyr.
Of course, there are plenty of people in Beijing who wear no mask at all. President Xi Jinping strolled through the popular Nanluoguxiang neighborhood Tuesday, breathing on a day that the air-quality index reached more than 500. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says an index of above 300 is “extremely rare” in the U.S. and typically occurs during events such as forest fires.
But Dr. Saint Cyr suspects that the lack of scientific data on the most effective types of masks has made many people wary of buying any at all. The doctor, who also keeps a blog called My Health Beijing, has started a project to test masks currently on the market, using a crowdfunding approach to pay for testing as many as 200 masks, which will be evaluated by a California company.
For those looking for protection right away, Dr. Saint Cyr offers these tips for mask shopping:
  • The most important element is how a mask fits against the face. Air gaps that allow particulate matter in render the mask basically useless, he says. Some of the popular Chinese-brand masks sold in 7-Eleven stores around Beijing are no good, he says. One, Ludun, touts its 99% efficiency, he says. But within the mask, the filter is just a tiny square inside a cotton mask. The vast majority of the mask is cotton, with lots of leakage. “It just doesn’t fit well.” What’s most worrisome, he says, is “people are walking around thinking they’re protected.” One good test is whether eyeglass-wearers find their glasses steamed up. If so, the masks aren’t air-tight.
  • The mask’s material – its ability to filter out the smallest particulate matter – also is important. Cotton masks or surgical masks aren’t effective, Dr. Saint Cyr says. The U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health offers mask certification based on the amount of particulate matter filtered out. An N95 rating, for example, means a mask filters out 95% of airborne particulates.
  • Good ventilation matters, especially for those who might want to exercise outside in the mask. Some masks rest away from the face, creating a comfortable breathing space, while others feel too suffocating for heavy exertion.
  • Style, too, is a consideration. Some masks, like Respro, make the wearers look like Darth Vadar, while others, like Totobobo, resemble some sort of alien with white gills. Some blogs suggest placing a second mask over the powerful one, topping off the look with a mask that may be ineffective but aesthetically pleasing. After all, if people feel ugly wearing their masks, they may be less likely to wear them.
</snip>

[More on the site]

Last edited by mvadg : 19th October 2015 at 14:06. Reason: added information from chinese sites
Old 19th October 2015, 18:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I have been travelling on a motorbike...who have used such masks.
Came across this & thought of sharing it with you. May be its a viable option. If you can get in touch with Jay, he can help you answer about the mask
https://www.facebook.com/jay.kannaiy...53712086687140
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:25   #26
BHPian

OK. Some firsthand information:

Bought two masks from SP Rd 3M dealer:
1. 3M 9913IN+ (approx Rs 100)
2. Venus V-414-SLOV-V with a valve (70/-)

Tried the Venus - hard to breathe through, and ineffective because it leaks.

Same with the 3M (just tried putting it on and checking, but it too leaks, so didn't even bother to ride with it).

Overall, a waste of money. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-Pollution Masks for Bikers-mymaskscompr.jpg  

Old 20th October 2015, 14:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
There is an air filter "woodyknows" which you put in the nostril. It looks inconspicuous and comparatively comfortable.
Hey AZ911 thanks for introducing this cool device. I'm going to give it a try.

The sizing info on Aliexpress has me confused. What size did you choose and any tips for selecting the right fit?
Old 20th October 2015, 15:07   #28
BHPian

I use spectacles and a open face lid (with visor). Can anybody enlighten how comfortable, rather uncomfortable the balaclava or anti pollution mask would be.
Old 20th October 2015, 15:13   #29
BHPian

I use the Neoprene mask, same as djpeesh, for my cycling trips. I find it quite reasonable to use in the fumes and dust, even while needing to breathe deep for the cycles. So I would say it should serve well in motorbike rides as well, where you need less deep breathing than while cycling.
Old 20th October 2015, 16:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
I use the Neoprene mask, same as djpeesh, for my cycling trips. I find it quite reasonable to use in the fumes and dust, even while needing to breathe deep for the cycles. So I would say it should serve well in motorbike rides as well, where you need less deep breathing than while cycling.
Thanks for the info. But I need to understand how comfortable it'll be with the specs on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks