Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 23:12   #1
BHPian

2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA

2016 KTM RC 390 has been unveiled at EICMA 2015.

2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc3904.jpg

Gets a pretty big list of changes. Gotta give it to KTM for the constant upgrades of their bikes. The change list is big for 1st year upgrade. Here they are,

1. All new aluminium exhaust (KTM says: "Similar to the system of the “BEAST”, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R")
2. Slipper clutch
3. Ride by wire
4. Bigger 320mm front disc. (2015 model has 300mm)
5. Adjustable clutch and brake levers
6. More comfortable rider seat with 12mm thicker cushion
7. Mirrors have a new design

More pics:
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc39024.jpg
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc3909.jpg
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc3901.jpg
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-2016ktmrc39011.jpg

My views:
The changes seem to be aimed at making the bike much more modern and packed with tech and at fixing major negative areas based on customer feedback.

The new exhaust slightly spoils the look (gotta blame Euro IV). But the big list of changes make up for that. Hope the bike sounds much better with the new exhaust.
The fairing seems to be more curved at the bottom, which may mean no more scraping at extreme lean angles.
Slipper clutch with adjustable clutch levers would make city riding much, much easier.
New mirrors may improve the visibility. The brakes hopefully are much better with the bigger disc.

I personally was waiting for slipper clutch, but here comes KTM, with a big load of goodies
Overall, you won't get a bike packing this much tech even if you pay double the amount. This is now a true mini supersport motorcycle.

Note to mods: Posting a new thread since the list of changes is pretty big and much bigger than a usual facelift. Kindly merge with any other thread if needed.

Source of info

More pics available at source

Last edited by theredliner : 17th November 2015 at 23:34.
theredliner is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 23:40   #2
BHPian

KTM just killed the competition again. That's a lot of goodies for a motorcycle which retails way below 3L. I'm hoping they have fixed the mediocre braking feel and bite with that new rotor setup. They are listening to customer feedback. Hopefully more manufacturers come forward and offer at least abs in their 4L offerings in future.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 00:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: 2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA

I desperately want those adjustable levers on my Duke.

Though even in these photos the clutch looks angled wide same as before.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 00:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant, after i walked away from Yamaha R3 and was again seriously contemplating the RC390, here comes Duke with a good job on facelift. Would have been great if they had worked a bit on changing the stickers too, that would have made it easily distinguishable.

What do you guys think will this go on sale in India, and what do you think it will add up to the total Current cost.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 01:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think in all probability this shall and can go on sale in India, considering the manufacturing base, and the fan base it has, I don't think there's any reason for KTM to not sell it here in India. I for one love the exhaust tip, beautifully done, the older one was smoothly integrated, this one just adds the pepper a bit and and at the right level.

And those adjustable levers, slipper clutch, man who needs a supersport!

Cheers!
V
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 04:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new exhaust slightly spoils the look (gotta blame Euro IV). But the big list of changes make up for that. Hope the bike sounds much better with the new exhaust.
The exhaust will sound much silent for sure. Secondly the lever is a big boost. This is the lever the 600's carry and these levers are perfect to adjust based on not only size of your hands but also on the gloves you use.

In Winter, i use heated gloves and i can tell you its such a boost to have this adjustable lever.

Secondly i think this continuous upgrade to the 390 makes it my No 1 VFM bike ever in india.

The brakes with 320mm disc combined with ABS makes it one of the best (i use the 320mm without ABS and i am superconfident in dry weather but poor in wet weather)

Also the tyres are still one of the best in wet weather. Love these updates. Waiting to return to India and make sensible decision to stick to a 390 than wasting money on bigger size bikes.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 08:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bigger rotor would also need the caliper assembly to be changed right? At the bare minimum - even if the master cylinder etc. are left the same.

Maybe even the fork lower.

Vivek am completely with you on the ridiculously bang for buck paradigm of KTM in India. Something they are the polar opposite of abroad - everything else unchanged.

A bike with the performance to push and even be ahead of the big boys in most real world riding, with mileage and tank range to match of course (!!), with unbelievable for price point levels of equipment (no toys - everything critically functional), and in a lightweight package that costs just a bit more than other Indian flagship bikes.

P.S. to be honest though, I'm not a huge fan of the new exhaust. The supporting metal mid body band gives it a very aftermarket dalda dabba look that detracts from the mass centralized minimalistic USP of the twins.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th November 2015 at 08:42.
Old 18th November 2015, 09:40   #8
BHPian

Slightly OT but does anyone have any news on the Duke 390 face-lift ? I've been procrastinating my purchase citing this and if the list on RC is anything to go by, I so much want those adjustable levers. Though the new up-swept exhaust is such a dampener. I'm really fond of the current under-belly one but then you never know, it may eventually grow on me.
Old 18th November 2015, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. to be honest though, I'm not a huge fan of the new exhaust. The supporting metal mid body band gives it a very aftermarket dalda dabba look that detracts from the mass centralized minimalistic USP of the twins
These are standard these days when you look at all the bikes with high compression engines coming out due to Euro Norm. But rest assured there are enough after markets.

There are enough upgrades available. We should be able to source twin brother and a power commander tuned for twin brother with a quick shifter and we are in for a treat and still stay less than 3L

Heck its like renting the beast for 10K a month in the worst interest loan scenario. I am pretty sure some of these upgrades will flow into KTM 390 as well.

The drive by wire and slipper clutch are not sub 5L segment for sure.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 10:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I hope I am not wrong in assuming that these goodies will also trickle down to the Duke 390, if yes then KTM. If only KTM can increase the current fuel tank capacity by 3-4 litres it would be an icing on the cake. KTM unlike any other manufacturers who have been in India for donkeys years have not deprived us Indians from having some world class offerings with latest technologies. I mean come on which manufacturer offers a 2 channel ABS, USD Forks, Metzeler tyres, Slipper Clutch and now Ride by Wire in a sub 400cc category in India. I know this model hasn't been launched yet in India, but looking at KTM's commitment to the Indian market I am sure this will make it to our shores soon. The KTM RC 390 sure looks killer with that exhaust, it makes the bike look complete. The new RC 390 indeed looks like "Ready to Race".

Last edited by navin_v8 : 18th November 2015 at 10:20.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 12:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Another problem with that exhaust now is bye-bye big saddlebags.

I use the same huge saddlebags of my Bullet directly on my Dukes, with zero mods. And zero tension of burn holes.
Old 18th November 2015, 13:31   #12
BHPian

Really cool additions to the RC by KTM right there. I agree with Doc on the exhaust, as it's going to cause some form of hindrance to tourers and track freaks. The underbelly was way more subtle, distinct and feasible.

These additions are one a first to any sub 3 lakh bike and I feel that just as it did with the D390, KTM has slaughtered all it's competition mercilessly. Again. Well done!

Could have made some changes to the graphics/colour, but then again, it's KTM.

Looking forward to see it on Indian roads soon along with the extended (and upgraded!) scowls of many weekend-morning bikers.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 13:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bigger rotor would also need the caliper assembly to be changed right? At the bare minimum - even if the master cylinder etc. are left the same.

Maybe even the fork lower.
Doc, as far as i can see they have fitted a spacer kind of thing between the caliper assembly and fork's caliper mounts to account for the larger rotor. Almost all parts are same from these pictures. They are new and old setups respectively
Attached Thumbnails
2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-1447834567969.jpg  

2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA-1447834579079.jpg  

b16h22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 15:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Doc, as far as i can see they have fitted a spacer kind of thing between the caliper assembly and fork's caliper mounts to account for the larger rotor. Almost all parts are same from these pictures. They are new and old setups respectively
You're right. Good catch!

The rotor along with the levers will be on my shopping list.

Along with the spacer thingy of course.
Old 18th November 2015, 21:59   #15
BHPian

Re: 2016 KTM RC 390 unveiled at EICMA

Instead of a solid mounted disc it now gets a floated disc. That may seem like a small thing, but is a significant update.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks