Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:50   #46
BHPian

Re: The story of my Bug-Eyed Warrior: KTM RC 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Can you share some thoughts or feedback on the power tronics? Do you see any mid range improvement and have you removed the RPM limiter. Currently the stock bike i feel hits the limiter way to early which is too early and ending up changing gears.
The PT gave me very warm start up instead of the usual diesel clatter the RC gives you. The power delivery is smooth and pretty linear. The PT software has an option of extending the Revs till 11k rpm and yes I had the same extended.

The stock bike never hits the rpm band early, you have option to adjust the same Via RPM 01 and RPM 02 settings. The RPM 01 flashes briefly at about 7.5k RPM but doesn't create a brick wall rev limiter, however it is the RPM 02 that cuts in the revs once you hit about 9 to 9.5k.
dual disc 200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I was talking about the RPM 02. I am not sure if the additional 2K RPM has effect on torque or power delivery. I kept hitting the limiter in every gear i tried though the bike was hitting 3 digits easily. Guess habits of riding bigger bikes needs to be corrected.

Have you thought about upgrading the brake pads in the front to Brembo and is yours the 320mm version or the earlier 300 mm version. I am just contemplating on getting the older version and upgrading brakes or get the newer version.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Thanks. I was talking about the RPM 02. I am not sure if the additional 2K RPM has effect on torque or power delivery. I kept hitting the limiter in every gear i tried though the bike was hitting 3 digits easily. Guess habits of riding bigger bikes needs to be corrected.

Have you thought about upgrading the brake pads in the front to Brembo and is yours the 320mm version or the earlier 300 mm version. I am just contemplating on getting the older version and upgrading brakes or get the newer version.
Hitting the rev limiter might happen with me too, just that I don't see the speedo console at all for me to observe the Rev Limiter flashing, rather I ride like I stole it

Mine is the older version of the 300mm rotors with EBC dual Sintered in the front and SBS at the rear. Although the braking has improved right out of the box even before the pads could bed in, there is a significant amount of fading observed on the long runs

Last edited by dual disc 200 : 3rd June 2016 at 13:41. Reason: Spell Chk
Old 8th June 2016, 13:02   #49
BHPian

Update on the PT 2.0 Issue:

Disappointments come in all shapes and sizes and for me it was in the shape of a square plastic box that's orange in colour. The RMA'ed PT was returned to me on 3'rd June 2016 and the same was installed on the day of a solo ride on 05'th June 2016 that I planned for two reasons. One to get some fresh air in the morning and second to test the PT unit and make sure all issues were ironed out that was nagging previously. The bike started with the PT at a very calm and composed manner, very matured to be precise and not like a underdog. I was impressed and thought, at last I should be happy with the results.

Things went bitter in a matter of few kms when a turn that I took to refuel turned catastrophic. The bike stalled and luckily I was able to dodge the turn with no throttle and coast the bike to the fuel pump. I was shattered. Just imagining the same with some oncoming traffic and things would have turned to a Emergency Medical Response call.

Let me explain the stalling pattern which is very important to understand the nature of the issue. "Bike runs fine for a few kms, stalls. "N" number of cranks wouldn't fire the bike back to life. Waiting for some 30-40 secs would help to start the bike again only to stall again in exact 20-30 secs" very weird pattern right? But, this is what I've been observing in all the past stalling incidents.

After refuelling, the bike was pushed to a few yards and then, I tried the usual cranking didn't help. I waited patiently for about a minute and then thumbed her and then she came to life. I was certain that I shouldn't keep moving as she would stall in another 20-30 secs. My intuitions and observation in past incidents were spot on. She stalled again and there i thought, this is something to do with the PT and not something with the wiring loom that was replaced again.

As luck favoured me, I had carried the dummy coupler with me and the same was installed in the circuit and there she comes to life. A angry little girl breathing hard and not subtle PT idling.

The solo journey continued and the Bug Eyed girl clocked some beautiful 300 kms plus without any hiccups ironing out all the other equipments that was being suspected and narrowing down to the one and only faulty PT who had been the culprit trying to kill me.

On the brighter side, Sirius Motorsports were more than happy to take the unit back again for testing and I'm not sure what would be the outcome. But, I've made up my mind to go with PT only if I get a fresh replacement or stick with stock for now and save up a bit and get PCV.

Let's see what's in store for me.

P.S. The entire incident of the bike stalling this time was captured in my action cam and I've got some solid evidence this time.

A few pics from the ride;

Old 8th June 2016, 17:09   #50
BHPian

some nice set of upgrades done there.How comfortable do you find the seating position ? I have done 400 kms trip in my ex RC 390 but anything more than that im sure would be painful.Do you use it for daily commute as well ? and finally, what riding shoes are those ? looks really good!
Old 9th June 2016, 09:41   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
some nice set of upgrades done there.How comfortable do you find the seating position ? I have done 400 kms trip in my ex RC 390 but anything more than that im sure would be painful.Do you use it for daily commute as well ? and finally, what riding shoes are those ? looks really good!
Thank you Nitinja. I've accustomed myself to the seating position and have done some 500 Plus Kms a day without butt hurts and I'm extremely ok with the seating. No, I don't use it for daily commutes as my humble Dio does it without much sweats

The Boots are Tarmac Venom and IMHO one of the finest you can buy.
Old 13th June 2016, 19:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nice updates, Ram. I have a few questions. Correct me if I am wrong, you said your maps were different, from what PT offers, so yours were a custom made map? If yes, can this be causing the stalling issue? Just what I am gathering from this.

Secondly, where did you install PT in Coimbatore, Ram? I did see some videos on PT installation, but just didn't want to tamper anything, considering the only brick wall RPM limiter, I am loving the lady.

When you get the PCV or Baz, I would really love to get some detailed insights , buy IMHO I'd suggest the autotune too, for peace of mind.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 14th June 2016, 15:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Nice updates, Ram. I have a few questions. Correct me if I am wrong, you said your maps were different, from what PT offers, so yours were a custom made map? If yes, can this be causing the stalling issue? Just what I am gathering from this.

Secondly, where did you install PT in Coimbatore, Ram? I did see some videos on PT installation, but just didn't want to tamper anything, considering the only brick wall RPM limiter, I am loving the lady.

When you get the PCV or Baz, I would really love to get some detailed insights , buy IMHO I'd suggest the autotune too, for peace of mind.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks Vijay, The issue was diagnosed with the PT as what map you burn-in, the bike stalls. I'm talking about a map with zero values too. Yes, the Map that I had initially was a custom map and even before I could burn in the Map, the bike stalled half way which we initially thought to be a faulty wiring loom which has been ruled out now.

The installation was done in Sirius Motorsports and yes Vicky is a good friend of mine extending support as and when required. I did initially had my eyes on PCV and Bazzaz, dropped PCV as it's insanely expensive and you'll need to buy parts in bits and pieces and second Bazzaz cannot do ignition corrections and is only a fuel correction module.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
Thanks Vijay, The issue was diagnosed with the PT as what map you burn-in, the bike stalls. I'm talking about a map with zero values too. Yes, the Map that I had initially was a custom map and even before I could burn in the Map, the bike stalled half way which we initially thought to be a faulty wiring loom which has been ruled out now.

The installation was done in Sirius Motorsports and yes Vicky is a good friend of mine extending support as and when required. I did initially had my eyes on PCV and Bazzaz, dropped PCV as it's insanely expensive and you'll need to buy parts in bits and pieces and second Bazzaz cannot do ignition corrections and is only a fuel correction module.
Hmm right, that is why I mentioned the auto-tune, and you're right about the parts, one is required to buy all the other parts separately, kinda shucks if you ask me.

But on a general note, I've read considerably positive reviews for Buzz Box than the PCV, and when you consider RD PB at 18k you can very much expect the firangi stuffs to have sky high prices.

So, the orange soap box is on for a replacement?

Cheers!
VJ
Old 15th June 2016, 11:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Hmm right, that is why I mentioned the auto-tune, and you're right about the parts, one is required to buy all the other parts separately, kinda shucks if you ask me.

But on a general note, I've read considerably positive reviews for Buzz Box than the PCV, and when you consider RD PB at 18k you can very much expect the firangi stuffs to have sky high prices.

So, the orange soap box is on for a replacement?

Cheers!
VJ
Buzz Box is good, just that I would be left orphaned with warranty issues if something crops up. Also, there is one issue of a Norway customer who says that the Buzz box or the PCV took out the factory ECU which was ridiculous and scary.. So, I'll have to see an authorized partner for these to make any decisions.

Yes Vijay, the soapbox has gone in for replacement. If I'm not happy, then I'll part ways and would look for a refund and switch to PCV later.

Last edited by dual disc 200 : 15th June 2016 at 11:12. Reason: Spell Check
Old 24th May 2017, 11:01   #56
BHPian

Coming back after a really long time. Have been tied up with a few projects that had kept me out of station for about 5-6 months and the bike was simply standing there parked. So, in midst of the projects that I was tied up with, I had received the new Powertronic and things seems to be good. The stalling issues of the older ones have been now sorted and this thing works as advertised. The only downside being, the company now only gives 2 maps loaded Vs the 5 maps that can be updated in the older units. You guessed it right, the older maps aren't compatible with the new hardware and that's something I personally don't like.

Have raised the issue with RD and they've asked me to send the box again to see if something can be done as there are a few interfacing issues between the newer windows software and the PT firmware.

The next additions that I'm looking at is custom sprockets and a free flow filter like the DNA or K&N along with a custom map.

A few pics for now until the next solid update.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG] how to upload pics[/IMG]

[IMG] how to upload pics[/IMG]
dual disc 200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 14:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual disc 200 View Post
I had received the new Powertronic and things seems to be good. The stalling issues of the older ones have been now sorted and this thing works as advertised.

The next additions that I'm looking at is custom sprockets and a free flow filter like the DNA or K&N along with a custom map.

A few pics for now until the next solid update.
Hi,

Any updates on the PT box ? did you DECAT the Exhaust ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks