Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 09:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electrified! My Royal Enfield Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPSAM View Post
Folks, Is there a Bullet 350 ES or is the Electra mentioned as Bullet 350 ES in the specification documents ?
Mate the Electra is still called the Electra on RE's website but it sports a Bullet 350 logo on its toolbox instead of the earlier Electra. It comes with an ES and a front disc brake.

Whereas the Standard Bullet 350 is the base model from RE's stable. It does not have ES and comes with drum brakes.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 12:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post

I'm driving up to speeds of 60, never crossing that limit. I hope I'm doing justice to the engine during run in period.
I am not sure about the UCE engines and the running in . However on my Electra which is a cast iron, I could feel different levels in engine smoothness as the kms piled on. I can say it was around the 30k mark that I felt the engine has fully set in. I am not saying that is running in till then, but being a big engine and a cast iron one at that, it took a while.

You can vary the speeds during the running in and it is okay even if you go above the stipulated limit now and then , but not pushing it. This will help the engine set in across the rev range over time.
I would say the initial few thousand kms is critical in engine life and maintenance later.

Another tip if you are not following it already; after the bike has been parked for around 4-5 hours or more, let it idle for at least half a minute before riding. I have been doing this religiously on my bike from day one and has helped for sure.

A big bore engine can be sensitive to riding habits , probably not much on a UCE, but on my bike, after some one else had ridden it and I ride after, I can immediately tell how it was ridden.

And last but not least, don't forget to take it out on a trip once a while, it helps the rider and bike more than you know.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 18:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

You can vary the speeds during the running in and it is okay even if you go above the stipulated limit now and then , but not pushing it.
Another tip if you are not following it already; after the bike has been parked for around 4-5 hours or more, let it idle for at least half a minute before riding.

And last but not least, don't forget to take it out on a trip once a while, it helps the rider and bike more than you know.
Thank you tharians, Now that I've got that most wanted green light, I'll occasionally let the sppedo hover between 60-65

I do kick start and idle for half a minute for the first start in the morning but not after the engine has slept for 4 to 5 hrs in day time, but here after I'll stick to the habit.

I'm thinking of going for a long solo on some holiday.
Old 1st March 2016, 18:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
.... looks apart, classics were not suited for the long rides for tall guys. I was sceptical and took his bull for a 10km drive and felt it was OK....

.... decisive role in my switching of choice from classic 350 to Electra. ....

.... difference of amount between C350 and Electra will be made available....
Could you please elaborate a little more as to why you changed your booking to the Electra from the Classic? I'm more or less a noob when it comes to different types of Enfields.

Also, how much was the difference in amount between Electra and Classic??
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 18:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba View Post
I also want to own a RE someday but it is the maintenance part of it that makes me stay away from it.

All the best for your road trips on this dhug dhug bike.
Thank you. I think the new crop of RE with UCE engines are mostly trouble free and returns good average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Could you please elaborate a little more as to why you changed your booking to the Electra from the Classic? I'm more or less a noob when it comes to different types of Enfields.

Also, how much was the difference in amount between Electra and Classic??
There were two key factors.

The classic 350 (c3 for short) is low slung compared to Electra or standard. The handle of c3 also lacks height, while driving one has to reach forward when sitting on a relatively lower seat. This may not feel prominent during short drives but for long drives it will cause discomfort like shoulder and back pain.

The pillion sits in lower position in c3 which is not at all a comfortable position and women are shorter than men. My wife always sits sidewise while riding pillion so sitting low adds to a very disadvantageous position for her. Single seat of electra is stepped up at pillion so my wife is equally tall as me as a pillion and can see well over my shoulder.

There's a difference of nearly 9000 rupees between Electra and c3. The costs would have been much higher had I bought the classic and replaced the handle and seats as one of my colleagues is going to do.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd March 2016 at 19:23. Reason: Please use the QUOTE+ Function within 30 minutes instead of posting consecutively. thanks
adityadeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 21:20   #21
BHPian

When two retros met

The only double decker in kochi parked under a cool tree shade in a sweltering noon.

Both the vehicles share one thing in common : old world charm.

First calculation of average fuel consumption

The Deep green got filled up for Rs. 500 @ Rs. 62.12 per litre with the Odo reading 9 kms. Around 8.xx litres went into the tank which had just around 1.5 litres in it.

In reserve the tank consumes 2.5 litres, so out of 8 litres 1 litre went to reserve.

The next reserve came at 383 kilometres.

So total kilometres run on 7 litres of petrol = 383 - 9=374

Average fuel consumption = 374 ÷ 7 = 53 kms /litre.

Seems good enough, anyways it's above 50 even if the initial petrol in the tank was 2 litres.

tomorrow the deep green will go for first service

Electrified! My Royal Enfield Electra-img_20160229_130215.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2016 at 07:32. Reason: Please use the QUOTE+ Function within 30 minutes instead of posting consecutively. thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:30   #22
BHPian

congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you many miles of memorable moments. Do keep this thread posted as you keep riding and finding out new places.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:30   #23
BHPian

Welcome to the world of Niggles!

That said, I have a bullet CI '96 model with me and just love it to the core. I have had it for 6.5 yrs now and has more than 60K on the odo.

I have modified the original crank with a '57 model super-heavy one. The average sucks (around 25 kmpl) but love the way it rides. Once in motion, it can easily be on the fourth gear at 20-25 KMPH with a pillion and does not knock.

Welcome to the world of Bullet! Ride on.
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the Electra! Wish you lots of miles on the odo. Keep the thread updated.

The tappet noises which you mentioned were there in my Dad's Classic 350 too, while decelerating. It disappeared eventually, when the engine ran in. Just FYI, its at 12k kms.

Now that the Himalyan is going to be here, what do you feel?

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

The tappet noises which you mentioned were there in my Dad's Classic 350 too, while decelerating. It disappeared eventually, when the engine ran in.

Now that the Himalyan is going to be here, what do you feel?

Neel
I sincerely wish that the deep green also gets rid of the tappet noises just like your father's c3 and praying for the same.

Himalayan is a totally different breed of motorcycle catering to the likes of adventure tourer. The bike will fit right for people who are taking a few good days off the home. If someone buys the bike for a regular use, then he might not be fully satisfied. Bullet has proved its reliability by passing the test of time.

Studying ones true requirement is a must before buying any vehicle. Most of the people go by the image of the vehicle rather than thinking whether it suites ones requirement and temperament.
Old 2nd March 2016, 23:20   #26
BHPian

The deep green came back from first service.

Initially the tappet noises were prominent and thump seemed absent at some speeds. But after 12 kms and a halt of half an hour bike seems to be the same old creature with thump.

Engine seems freed up a bit.

I asked the service guy to set the rear suspension to c3 position, but he strongly recommended to change to c4 as there is a chance that it might slip from c3 position in case I accidentally hit a deep pothole in high speed, so I relented and went for c4. The ride has become much smoother with less bouncing around. thanks to navin_v8 for the advice. One thing I forgot was to avoid water wash and truly they've messed it up. Next time I'm going to tell it the first time I see service Engineer.

Also I replaced pilot lamp bulbs with LED bulbs, it just cost me Rs. 30 a pair, but illumination is not that great. Its just that the colour has changed a bit. I'll definitely invest in bright leds. Brighter ones costs 170 a pair, but was unavailable in the shop at the time.

Over all first service has made the engine a bit more smoother.

Odo reading after the first service 706.

Last edited by adityadeva : 2nd March 2016 at 23:27.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 01:13   #27
BHPian

For your eyes only

The Deep Green after an 'eye transplant'.

Electrified! My Royal Enfield Electra-img_20160302_192010.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2016 at 07:33. Reason: Inserting image in post
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked the service guy to set the rear suspension to c3 position, but he strongly recommended to change to c4 as there is a chance that it might slip from c3 position in case I accidentally hit a deep pothole in high speed.
That's some serious bullcrap dished out by the service guy. The suspension never slips from its cup which I have experienced in all my years of riding and that includes offroading too. Since you are comfortable with level 4 you can continue with the same. Do take you wife as a pillion and see if the rear suspension bottoms out on load. If not then continue with Level 4 or switch to level 3.
Quote:
Over all first service has made the engine a bit more smoother.
It will become even more smooth once it crosses 3000 kms. As a practice I run in my motorcycles for at least 3000 kms by varying speeds and not exceeding above 60-70 KMPH. But that's just me. Enjoy your deep green, reminds me that my magic black AVL Tbird is gathering dust. Need to take it out for a ride.
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
That's some serious bullcrap dished out by the service guy. The suspension never slips from its cup which

Do take you wife as a pillion and see if the rear suspension bottoms out on load. If not then continue with Level 4 or switch to level
It did occur to me that suspension cannot simply slip out. But I didn't want to take the work from a guy who had diametrically opposite attitude.

Quote:
It will become even more smooth once it crosses 3000 kms. As a practice I run in my motorcycles for at least 3000 kms by varying speeds and not exceeding above 60-70 KMPH. But that's just me.

Enjoy your deep green.
Thank you..
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:45   #30
BANNED

Quote:
One thing I forgot was to avoid water wash and truly they've messed it up. Next time I'm going to tell it the first time I see service Engineer.
Hi there. Congrats on your new ride.

Normally don't swing by RE threads, just wanted to see what a brand new Enfield these days look like.

Can't say I am not surprised.

Anyways, rather than welcoming you to world of niggles as though it's a wonderful club to join, I would like to offer some advice to keep you out of that club.

If you have the time and/or inclination, source yourself a tube of Anabond 666 RTV Silicone, preferably the clear one.

Generously dab all your electrical contacts in your fuse box, ensuring to cover all the possible water seepage areas. you can do this to all your electrical connections. It will dry to form a dust, water and vibration resistant coating to all your connections. You can peel it off easily when needed as well.

Rather than keeping your bike away from washes, make it ready for any wash.

If this sounds like fun, you could get some Loctite and have a go at all the nuts and bolts.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed