Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 17:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Carberry Enfield sets up base in India

Of all the Royal Enfield customizations in the market, the Holy Grail has always been the twin-cylinder modifications. While a few individuals and customization houses have tried their hand at it, Australia based Carberry's 1,000cc cast-iron V-twin has been among the most popular ones. Carberry sold around 13 hand built units of the V-twin Enfield before it shut shop a few years ago.

Now, it looks like they're back in action. Through a post by Carberry's Facebook page in January 2016, the company confirmed that it will begin production once again. While that is good news, the headline is the fact that they have relocated to India to build Carberry Enfields.

The company has partnered with businessman Jaspreet Singh Bhatia and has setup a base in Bhilai, Chhattisgarh. The crankcases for the custom engines are being cast and Carberry has put out a call for local aftermarket suppliers for engine, clutch and transmission components.

The immediate advantage Carberry will have is that its supply chain will be a lot smoother. Not only will components be more readily available than they would be in Australia, but the production costs would reduce as well.

Royal Enfield itself was one of the first buyers of the Carberry Enfield and understandably that led to talks of the company partnering with Carberry. However, Carberry did not forge any ties with Royal Enfield and the current operation is independent as well. Carberry's twin-cylinder mill does not use the UCE engine and that could pose a problem.

Royal Enfield phased out the old cast-iron and lean-burn engines years ago and while components for the engines will be easier to find here than they would be in Australia, availability could still be an issue, as could emission norms because of which the old engines were phased out in the first place. According to Overdrive, the first India-made Carberry Enfield 1,000cc V-twin is around 6-8 months away.

Carberry Enfield sets up base in India-2.jpg

Carberry Enfield sets up base in India-1.jpg
Tushar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 17:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Carberry Enfield sets up base in India

Have already inquired with Paul and he also said that they will try fitting UCE cylinder heads on their custom cranks this time, but the cost has not been worked out yet. this will carve out its own niche in India, would be interesting to see how they get legal status though.
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 18:25   #3
BHPian

Interesting news indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Royal Enfield itself was one of the first buyers of the Carberry Enfield and understandably that led to talks of the company partnering with Carberry. However, Carberry did not forge any ties with Royal Enfield and the current operation is independent as well.
If the talks for partnering failed, why did RE not build one on their own. Its not like they didn't have the technology or something. Was it related to patent restrictions? or was it too ahead of the time then, and RE didn't see a viable market for twin cylinder litre class bikes in India?

Regards
Bugs
Old 25th February 2016, 19:00   #4
r.K
BHPian

Wow this is wicked! Have heard a lot about these guys. AFAIK, they take your cast iron engine as the 'donor' and plonk another 350/500 cylinder, making corresponding changes to the frame, tank,crankcase and internals to make it a thumping twin. Similar to Aniket Vardhan's "Musket", which was recently reviewed in Jay Leno's garage.

As said the cast iron engines will post a problem due to emission norms, though there are still quite a few still plying on roads today. Spares will be easy to find and there are many capable mechanics for the old machines.

I would definitely want to make mine a twin. Hoping this will give RE the impetus to release their parallel twin! Exciting times for motorcycles in India.
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 19:25   #5
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 1st March 2016 at 13:16.
just_in is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th February 2016, 11:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

More than the release of this motorcycle, I'll be super happy if Carberry will sell engine components for cast iron 500's. Even after two engine rebuilds, my 500 isn't anywhere as good as the specifications suggest.

The release of the Carberry twin cylinder Enfield is indeed good news for those who want something unique.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the Musket that's made in America, wasn't there an Indian made version of the V-twin too? I remember reading about it somewhere on the forum itself.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Apart from the Musket that's made in America, wasn't there an Indian made version of the V-twin too? I remember reading about it somewhere on the forum itself.
I think there was. Just that the Indian version I read about was a 350+350 set up and not the 500+500. I too remember reading about it.
Old 26th February 2016, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I think there was. Just that the Indian version I read about was a 350+350 set up and not the 500+500. I too remember reading about it.

Oh, that should be a sweet setup too. Wasn't it showed at one of the Rider Manias?
Somebody must have some more details.
Old 26th February 2016, 16:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Australian Carberry like UK's Norcroft builds these Vtwin Enfield's out of 350 and 500 CI engines. Our very own Aniket Vardhan from the US too builds Vtwins out of 350 and 500cc CI engines.

Anand and Dean the duo team from India built a Vtwin Enfield using two AVL 350cc engines. Link: http://www.topgear.com/india/car-gal...currentid=6828

My personal choice among these are the ones built by Norcroft UK.

I am not sure how will Carberry procure these engines as RE has stopped making these engines. They will have to rely on donor engines alone as developing an engine the same design as RE's CI from scratch will attract legal issues in India. Also I am not sure if our beloved RTO allows registration of such modified motorcycles. If they pull it off then it will open a lot of options for those looking at buying CI Vtwin Enfield.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 18:59   #11
BHPian

This is great news for RE enthusiasts! With RE being hush-hush on whether they are coming out with a 2 cylinder version, we now have an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
this will carve out its own niche in India, would be interesting to see how they get legal status though.
+1 to that. Wonder what the legal framework will be to sell this bike in India?
Old 26th February 2016, 19:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
This is great news for RE enthusiasts! With RE being hush-hush on whether they are coming out with a 2 cylinder version, we now have an alternative.

+1 to that. Wonder what the legal framework will be to sell this bike in India?
Modifications are a big no-no according to the Motor vehicle Act. Though I'm not certain on the number, the gross weight cannot be changed by more than 5%, changes to the chassis/frame cannot be done, cubic capacity changes would also be violative. Basically this business would have to sell their product as new, but could use a donor bike as a recycled parts bay. Though the problem of re-registration would still remain! unless it can get a waiver from the government or can effectuate a change through a legislation by the collective builder lobby on the "make in India" angle, I don't see how they handle compliance with our anti creativity/custom motor laws
zee_bat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 19:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Interesting news indeed.

If the talks for partnering failed, why did RE not build one on their own. Its not like they didn't have the technology or something. Was it related to patent restrictions? or was it too ahead of the time then, and RE didn't see a viable market for twin cylinder litre class bikes in India?

Regards
Bugs
The rumor mill is abuzz with Enfield working on its on 750 cc twin that would probably first make its way into the Himalayan
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The rumor mill is abuzz with Enfield working on its on 750 cc twin that would probably first make its way into the Himalayan
Am hoping that the grapewine is correct this time!

A proper 2 cylinder mill from RE would be just what the doctor ordered. A good 750cc twin putting out around 45-50 bhp and 60-65 Nm of torque will be more than enough for Indian conditions. If priced somewhere in the 3.5-4 Lac range, this will be a killer value proposition and will take the battle right upto the Harley 750 and Triumph street twin
Old 27th February 2016, 10:39   #15
BHPian

I'm drooling just looking at that engine. What a beauty! About time these bikes came to India. And at affordable prices - not the 6 lac + segment

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks