Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 11:07   #16
D C
BHPian

Re: Pics: The Abandoned Jawa Factory @ Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
These photos are very old.
As of today, what was once Ideal Jawa factory, is now a premium residential apartment complex ( with a total of 700+ flats coming up in what was once a 28 acre factory complex)
In fact one of my friends stays in the apartment complex and i visit the place frequently. Someone who had not seen what was there before will not even realize that what is now a apartment complex was once a busy bike factory!
Thanks for updating us on the current state . Looks like the Album was created in 2011 and some pictures were recently updated, making it looks its a recent Album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
The link to the Facebook is not available. It mentions the following.

"Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in."
Embee - Apparently, you need to log in to view this Album, the pics are available.

Comments on the Album states that, Swastik auto parts, bikes India, Jain Auto parts, Dominator auto parts and Jo motors purchased all the spare parts. This might be a useful information for anyone who still owns any Jawa model.
D C is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 00:57   #17
BHPian

I did a whois for yezdi.com and interestingly the domain is owned by the director of the Rustomjee Group, Boman Irani. Perhaps he has a softspot for Yezdi. The domain was refreshed in 2011 and is valid til 2020.
Kommandogerät is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 08:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Looks like the Album was created in 2011 and some pictures were recently updated, making it looks its a recent Album
These photos were taken way back in 2003-2004.
Endless.... is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

I was among the fortunate few to have visited the Jawa/Yezdi factory, Thanks to the man in the coveralls, Mr. Adu, who was once my trusted mechanic.

It was a sad sight for the lovers of this once iconic motorcycle brand. It was also a gold mine for the folks who took the trip cause you got all the parts you wanted for your motorcycle and even a full motorcycle for cheap. The new land owners or traders who bought the property decided to sell everything there is for almost scrap value. A new piston set was a few hundred rupees, a brand new Yezdi Roadking for Rs. 10,000. I paid around Rs. 16,000 for a new, assembled in front of me, Yezdi 350 Twin. I still have this motorcycle. Unfortunately; I can't ride it cause I have no papers. I did not pursue them when they were easily available and it is impossible to get them today. The traders did not issue any form of a sale slip. I have nothing that proves that I am the owner of the bike so can't register. As a result, its sitting in the garage at my granny's place. I recall the days that the papers for a scrapped 350 being sold for as high as Rs. 7000. I did not have the money back then. As it is, I had taken the money from my father. I did not want to ask him for more.

The demise of this iconic motorcycle brand can't be blamed on the stricter emissions norms alone. To be honest, they were not very reliable motorcycles. They were defective straight out of factory, much like how Royal Enfield's were from back in the day. Nothing lasted or held up for long. You had to visit the mechanic at least once a month for something or the other. The mechanicals were very simple though and allowed for easy repair. The clutch and throttle cables snapped out of the blue, the brakes were non existent and the electrical system was hopeless. God help you if you lived in a coastal city (Rusting). If there was the slightest bit of DIY in you, you knew what you do if the clutch or throttle cable snapped. I must say that the design of the gearbox was superb. It was designed in a way where you could engage the clutch even with a snapped clutch cable. Basically; the kicker assembly, which was unique cause it integrated the gear shifter as well, allowed you to shift gears without engaging the clutch lever. The play on the kicker acted as the clutch itself. The pro riders loved this cause you could shift without using the clutch lever and there was zero gear gnashing. With the correct engine speed, shifts were effortless.

I have just started restoration work on a 1969 Jawa 250. To be honest, I don't have the same interest that I used to for these bikes. I am starved for time too. Parts are next to impossible to source and its going to cost a bomb. It is in this situation where I feel, I should have picked up some Jawa parts as well, when stuff was getting dumped at the factory. For this particular Jawa, only one reason makes me want to to restore it. A promise that I made to the lady who sold it to me. She requested if I could show her the bike once the restoration work is complete. Maybe; it is to recollect fond memories of the days she travelled on it with her late husband.

My motorcycle days started on a borrowed Yezdi D250 Classic in 2002. Took me to work everyday and on some long rides too. It did pinch to run it though considering that my salary back then was what a meal for two costs today at a decent restaurant. The endless trips to the garage was annoying. Times changed and Yezdi/Jawa was unable to keep up. The best example of change is Royal Enfield. I doubt if they have ever had it this good in the history of the company. Things might have been different if the Ideal Jawa Company had the right guidance or vision.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st March 2016 at 10:57.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 13:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Very heart-rending story. Jawa and Yezdi (sometimes the name plate would be fixed upside-down by mechanics and it read Ipzah) were such aspirational youth icons of 70s and early 80s before Ind-Suzuki hit them. I always wanted to buy Yezdi as soon as I could afford one.

Yes the typewriter with the paper still loaded leaves a lump in the throat. The same emotions - what might have gone through the typist's mind when he couldn't come back and complete what he started. I will have difficulty swallowing my breakfast.

But why it happened so sudden as if an earth quake hit them? Why they couldn't they put away all work-in-progress before they closed it?

Similar stories about Allwyn and AP scooters (made a scooter called PL170 in late eighties) in Hyderabad, within the automobile sector.
Perhaps thousands more in other industry sectors.
Hey there, we share a lot in common.

I have also been fortunate to see several Yezdi plates installed inversely, to an extent that I started to believe the company's name as IPZAH JAWA Ltd . It was only when I saw a carton box (of some Yezdi component) lying on the road, which read the correct name as "Ideal Jawa".

Perhaps it’s the harsh truth of nature, if this could happen to the largest 2-wheeler maker of the yesteryear then what would be the fate of small timers of those ages. I remember a lot of such small time vehicles (Kinetic Spark, Suvega Samrat, Avanti Garelli, Kinetic Nova, TVS express, Luna wings, Priya scooter, Polo scooter, Pacer, Panther, Hero majestic, et-al )names of which are not even heard of by many.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 13:56   #21
BHPian

Saddening sight. If it had been there today, I am sure it would be still sold (yes upgraded version) like the RE.

My dad had told me that our old yezdi was bought from Mysore and he rode it down to my Home Town (Sulthan Bathery). I think we had the bike from around 1984 to 1997.
Old 21st March 2016, 14:12   #22
BHPian

One good thing about all old vehicles is the liberal use of metal, esp., cast iron and steel. Touch them anywhere you wish and you get the feel of the metal. I miss this aspect on today’s machines where most metal parts are replaced by plastic/ fiber plastic, be it in the name of cost cutting or modernization or crumple zones or any which name.

The rich, solid, rugged and noble feel in old machines are hard to match by the flimsy toys of today.
Old 21st March 2016, 14:59   #23
BHPian

Man. This thread is so depressing that I thought I'd cheer it up with a picture of a 34 year old lady, who still starts up with a single kick every morning.

Pics: The Abandoned Jawa Factory @ Mysore-1458552484409.jpg

The blue pipes are courtesy plastidip that I sprayed on to prevent rusting last monsoon. I still haven't gotten around to having it removed and the pipes rechromed.
djpeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Is that Jawa 350 twin for sale?
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:40   #25
BHPian

Wow this post just teleported me back in time. Like Sandeep mentioned we were one of the first allowed to get the factory first. The first sight just showcased the sad moment the work ceased at the factory and one felt like walking in a photograph where time stood still. There were still some cafe racers, a Bison, Perak, Pav trailer, Velorex sidecar and Czetta Scooters apart from the 350s in different conditions.
Was fortunate to be able to pick a 2 350s, a cafe racer and 2 engines and numerious other spares. The worst thing was the way the hired men were breaking perfect good aluminium parts like the 350 big drums to pieces and all. Took a lot of snaps some are in the post, wish I could share the rest.
ameet_pv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
Is that Jawa 350 twin for sale?
when did you get into Jawas? These will be auctioned soon is what I have heard. But I have been hearing that for a while now. Most likely all Jawa Yezdi guys will pickup stuff even before it out in the market for an auction, I saw close to 300 pics from this lot I will tag you the album.

Pramod
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:59   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Saw some pictures of an idle Jawa factory located in Mysore. Mr. Prasanth, who visited the factory along with a few friends, has posted the pictures on his Facebook timeline.
Sad to see the state of the erstwhile factory, ironically it was called Ideal Jawa and now it's idle Jawa
Brings back some nostalgic memories from school vacations spent in Mysore at my relative's house, it had some aura at that time!
The 3 places etched in memory from those days are the Jawa factory, the Joy Ice-cream factory and Vikrant Tyres.
And the numerous visits to KRS where cars were allowed on top of the dam
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
when did you get into Jawas? These will be auctioned soon is what I have heard. But I have been hearing that for a while now. Most likely all Jawa Yezdi guys will pickup stuff even before it out in the market for an auction, I saw close to 300 pics from this lot I will tag you the album.

Pramod
I had a Yezdi for a while in Lucknow while I was in college. It was fun, trust me. I liked that bike a lot.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

I remember the time when once one of my father's friend left his Yezdi road king at our house when he went away on tour. Even my parents were away and I could not wait to lay my hands on the bike and ride it, I was in class 7 at that time so you can feel the euphoria I was in. But alas, for the love of me I could not find the kick starter and spent an absolutely miserable 3 days trying to figure it all out. It was only when he came and rotated the gear shifter backwards to kick start the bike that I realised what an Idiot I was. haha but yes it was a bike to drool upon.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow! Nice to see a dedicated thread! I had shared the FB link here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3931859

Staying at Mysore, I get to see these bikes regularly and given the attachment the owners/enthusiasts have towards them, it's a given that the bikes won't face the same sad end their factory did. Owner groups, regular meets and rides has ensured the survival of the brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks