Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 22:39   #1531
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I'll do that then. Quite disappointing as its been just over a month and the bulb has already fused
Not a disappointment actually. It happens with electrical parts, especially filament bulbs.
By the way, you can also go for a different bulb. I have replaced mine with the Halonix 55/60. Much better than the company fitted Osram Bilux (and I don’t like white lights). You can also go for Osram/Philips.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 18:13   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
Not a disappointment actually. It happens with electrical parts, especially filament bulbs.
By the way, you can also go for a different bulb. I have replaced mine with the Halonix 55/60. Much better than the company fitted Osram Bilux (and I don’t like white lights). You can also go for Osram/Philips.
I've ordered a Philips 12V 55/60 White Halogen for now. If it works out well, I'll keep it, else I'l consider investing in a better lighting setup. I'm not too bothered because I use the bike when there's sunlight 90% of the time and its very rare that I take it out in the night. I'll keep the forum updated nevertheless! Thank you all, cheers.
WhiskeyTangoFox is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 19:45   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
I've ordered a Philips 12V 55/60 White Halogen for now. If it works out well, I'll keep it, else I'l consider investing in a better lighting setup. I'm not too bothered because I use the bike when there's sunlight 90% of the time and its very rare that I take it out in the night. I'll keep the forum updated nevertheless! Thank you all, cheers.
Can you share the exact name and link if possible. Also, i guess this should be a direct fit, please confirm.

I do have additional lights setup, but would like to have a better headlight for city riding.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 20:09   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Can you share the exact name and link if possible. Also, i guess this should be a direct fit, please confirm.

I do have additional lights setup, but would like to have a better headlight for city riding.
Absolutely. The name of the light is Philips H4 12342 Premium Halogen Headlight Bulb (12V, 60/55W) , White , Pack of 1 as listed on Amazon. It should be delivered by tomorrow so I cannot speak for its performance yet, but its very inexpensive and the amazon reviews are very good.

What additional lighting setup do you have and where did you purchase it from? How much did it cost and what is its effect on the warranty of the bike? Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00NAZHWAI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 19th July 2022, 21:21   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. The name of the light is Philips H4 12342 Premium Halogen Headlight Bulb (12V, 60/55W) , White , Pack of 1 as listed on Amazon. It should be delivered by tomorrow so I cannot speak for its performance yet, but its very inexpensive and the amazon reviews are very good.

What additional lighting setup do you have and where did you purchase it from? How much did it cost and what is its effect on the warranty of the bike? Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00NAZHWAI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. Do share your feedback post installation.

I have Maddog alpha, everything inlcuding LED lights + Filters + Switch + wiring cost me about 15k. It's good for the price, but too bright for city riding and don't want to get attention of cops.
So, looking for simple Halogen upgrade, would prefer yellow light instead of white LEDs.
Do share your feedback on the philips bulb
gypsyFreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 00:00   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
I've ordered a Philips 12V 55/60 White Halogen for now. If it works out well, I'll keep it, else I'l consider investing in a better lighting setup.
Hopefully it will work. I have also been using Philips H4 XtremeVision G-Force on my Standard-500, and was not completely satisfied, given the price I paid. The best plug and play solution is replacing the bulb with Cyclops Ultra LED, but it costs ~7.5K. Although those who are using it, swear by it.

Quote:

I have Maddog alpha, everything inlcuding LED lights + Filters + Switch + wiring cost me about 15k. It's good for the price, but too bright for city riding and don't want to get attention of cops.
So, looking for simple Halogen upgrade, would prefer yellow light instead of white LEDs.
Do share your feedback on the philips bulb
The Maddog lights and harnesses is great. I am also using ScoutX+Harness Pro+ Filters+ Switch. They work great.
If you are looking for bulb replacement, don’t go for pricey ones. You will find good ones with in ₹200 price bracket. You can also try local market as most of the bulb brands you will not find online.

@WhiskeyTangoFox Good quality harnesses don’t affect your warranty, at least when you need to claim one. They are attached directly to battery and no wire cutting is required. And since there is no wire cutting, you can easily remove them when claiming anything related to electrical issues. It also depends on your reputation with the SVC.
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:15   #1537
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
Hopefully it will work. I have also been using Philips H4 XtremeVision G-Force on my Standard-500, and was not completely satisfied, given the price I paid. The best plug and play solution is replacing the bulb with Cyclops Ultra LED, but it costs ~7.5K. Although those who are using it, swear by it .
I tried to install it myself, but it still didn't work. Took it to Art of Motorcycles today as it was nearby and they found that a plug internally had disconnected somehow, so the old bulb was actually fine. However, as of now, the philips bulb does seem much brighter. Will share feedback after testing in the night. Also, @gypsyfreak, the bulb is actually yellow, I don't know why they have mentioned it as white on the Amazon listing.

I do however have a new concern now. The rep at AOM told me that my bike sounded slightly different from other Himalayans. He said that it had a slight knocking noise (I presume he is referring to the engine tappet sound). However, it isn't very loud and is onnly noticeable after the engine has heated up considerably. He advised me to take it to the SVC and have it checked out. I'd appreciate all of the members here to provide their input on this. How serious is this issue and what steps do I take? Please advise, thanks!
Old 21st July 2022, 13:52   #1538
BHPian

I took a ride recently to Aiyur Forest near Bangalore. It's an 80kms ride one way, to Aiyur Forest Rest House.
To make life more interesting, we did a ride to Panchapalli Dam from the forest Area
For anyone looking for a quiet and hilly ride through Forests, this is a to-do ride. We hardly encountered 2-3 other riders from Bangalore.
The bike performed well even with a pillion
Adding the map and some pictures below
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-screenshot-20220721-1.45.26-pm.png

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-dsc_0106.jpeg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_0616.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_0631.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20220716_105249.jpg
lancia_fanboy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:54   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
I tried to install it myself, but it still didn't work. Took it to Art of Motorcycles today as it was nearby and they found that a plug internally had disconnected somehow, so the old bulb was actually fine. However, as of now, the philips bulb does seem much brighter. Will share feedback after testing in the night. Also, @gypsyfreak, the bulb is actually yellow, I don't know why they have mentioned it as white on the Amazon listing.
Any feedback on the bulb, how does it fare in the night?
Old 26th July 2022, 21:07   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback on the bulb, how does it fare in the night?
The bulb is much better than the stock headlamp, I would recommend this anyday for the price. However it isn't like a stark difference like an LED would so if you have a higher budget, then I'd suggest an LED. But for City use, this is sufficient IMO
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:21   #1541
Team-BHP Support

An absolutely crazy day for me.

I was on an errand and bike horn sounded really low. My battery indicator light has been out of order for a very long time so its useless anyways.

So I decided to pluck out the fuse and check. It was fine. But now the bike was fully dead.

Anyways I waited for a few mins and did a rolling start.It worked. Took bike and got a new battery as I am still thinking the low running is the reason behind the early demise of the battery.
My last battery had lasted 2 years and this was also 2 years old. I don't give it much thought. But I asked for a multimeter check. There is no change on even heavy acceleration.

I took the bike over to my trusted electric guy. He checked and decided it was a busted rectifier. The damn thing is just not available anywhere.

Went over a FNG who works on Himalayans. Looks like this is a very common issue. He had a bunch of scrapped rectifiers in his garage. We tried out a couple of them and finally got one which worked and pushed the voltage over 13.2 volts.

Since I have no choice, I got it fixed on the bike.

Will hunt and get an original and new one over this weekend and install it.

But every dark cloud has a silver lining.
At that mechanic shed I mentioned the crappy handle feel and suspicion that the cone set is gone.
The mechanic did some adjustments and fixed it beautifully. The ride back was very pleasant.
I plan to go to him for my general service next week.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd August 2022 at 19:22.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:27   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But every dark cloud has a silver lining.
At that mechanic shed I mentioned the crappy handle feel and suspicion that the cone set is gone.
The mechanic did some adjustments and fixed it beautifully. The ride back was very pleasant.
I plan to go to him for my general service next week.
The cone-set issue is more of a wrong torque adjustment problem rather than the water seeping in. If I remember correctly, someone did mention this in a post earlier in this thread.

Finding a good mechanic is a different kind of high. Suddenly you fell elated
NTab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:01   #1543

This may not be the right thread to post this query on, so please feel free to direct me to the right one.

I bought my Himalayan back in August 2018 in Chennai. Moved to Bangalore in 2019 but didn’t take the NOC since I wasn’t sure how long I was going to be here. Few years and a pandemic later, I find myself in the unfortunate position of not being able to use the bike often since I’m in a fully remote role. I’m thinking of selling it but unsure how to go about it.

Should I just take it to Chennai and sell it to a dealer? I want to make sure the RC transfer is done right so I can buy something else in a year or two. Or is it worth getting the RC transferred to KA and selling it in Bangalore?
Old 5th August 2022, 12:54   #1544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSilver View Post

Should I just take it to Chennai and sell
The cleanest and best possible way to do it.

Either to a dealer or to a private individual. Considering the ride between Bangalore and Chennai is hardly 6-7 hours, its not even worth worrying about.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:20   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSilver View Post
Should I just take it to Chennai and sell it to a dealer? I want to make sure the RC transfer is done right so I can buy something else in a year or two. Or is it worth getting the RC transferred to KA and selling it in Bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The cleanest and best possible way to do it.

Either to a dealer or to a private individual. Considering the ride between Bangalore and Chennai is hardly 6-7 hours, its not even worth worrying about.
@bblost is absolutely right. Don’t get into the hassle of transferring your RC from Chennai to Banglore unless you are planning to keep it, which obviously you are not.

Just sell it in Chennai or even any place in TN where RC transfer is not required.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks