Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2019, 09:11   #1096
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Did you have to upgrade the power cable?
No need to upgrade the power cable. HDT Customs guy also made a video on this.

cataclysm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 09:27   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Ajo, I am using the NGK IRIDIUM plugs only and not the PowerTronics. The plug model for the Himma is CR9EIX.

Cheers!
VJ
I presume this is the plug link you have recommended. Can I buy the plug online from Amazon?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:11   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I saw some places refer to CR8EIX as the model. Did you have to upgrade the power cable?
Nopes! I didn't upgrade my power cable, sticking with stock cable and just the plug alone. If you're in the Americas, you can try your hands on NGK racing cables, red ones, and install with the plug, you will definitely have improvement in performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I presume this is the plug link you have recommended. Can I buy the plug online from Amazon?
That is the one, right.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 21:54   #1099
BHPian

slight OT - if thats allowed:

talking about Spark Plugs :

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...um-spark-plugs

for my K-VerSys, the manual states stock as: (a) NGK CR9EIA-9 (retails for INR 2000), wherein another compatible is (b) NGK CR9EIX (retails for INR 600).
The difference, as per above article is :
Both above have small difference in the structure, (a - stock) slightly better because of bit projected tip than putting the electrode gap deeper in center of combustion chamber, and their difference in usage period.
However, both (a) & (b) will work, and the manual states gap needed 0.8mm to 0.9mm.

regards,
Old 18th November 2019, 21:45   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

My first thought is to go with the least expensive spark plug.
IMO, there's not enough difference between the two spark plugs you mention to justify any large difference in price.

That said, at least one place on the web warns of fake NGK CR9EIX spark plugs on the market. Here's a link to the article which explains how to recognize the difference between a real NGK plug and the fake one.

https://www.driven2automotive.com/bl...rk-plugs-2018/
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 22:11   #1101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
My first thought is to go with the least expensive spark plug.
IMO, there's not enough difference between the two spark plugs you mention to justify any large difference in price.
Now that's some commonsense that's not so common these days.

You really got to wonder what people are smoking these days to believe that an Iridium plug would extract commendable performance from a lazy motor with 9.5:1 CR, and that too a bone stock motor for which the manufacturer recommends otherwise.

Peace.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:46   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone found a strengthened rear luggage rack? I see Trek N Ride makes one, but the weld quality looks bad. But its cheap. Any other alternatives?
Old 23rd November 2019, 22:18   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone found a strengthened rear luggage rack? I see Trek N Ride makes one, but the weld quality looks bad. But its cheap. Any other alternatives?
I am using one from Zana, feels sturdy.
Old 23rd November 2019, 23:30   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I am using one from Zana, feels sturdy.
Can you please post a pic and also can you install the pannier racks with the rear luggage unit?
mail4ajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:48   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post a pic and also can you install the pannier racks with the rear luggage unit?
Zana has two types of racks, one with the base plate to mount the top box and one without the base plate. I went for the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-sherpa.jpg  

Old 1st December 2019, 13:01   #1106
Team-BHP Support

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20191201_080915.jpg

Did a short breakfast run for about 180 odd Kilometres.

Very happy that I have changed to the touring seat. It's a lot now comfortable than the original seat.
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:59   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Very happy that I have changed to the touring seat. It's a lot now comfortable than the original seat.
I could not find the touring seat on the RE online catalog. I accessed the link you'd shared in an earlier post and it returned a 404. Has the seat been discontinued or is available only via the showrooms?

EDIT : I managed to dig a little deeper and found it elsewhere in the catalog.

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/gma/1990208/

Last edited by satishv1987 : 2nd December 2019 at 12:01. Reason: Added additional information
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:11   #1108
BHPian

It's available at showrooms. Just call up your showroom or the nearest one, they will confirm availability. I did same. They had 2 units, I went and picked up one. Certainly better than stock version. Yet to test it over 100kms at a stretch.
Old 19th December 2019, 00:47   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
My first thought is to go with the least expensive spark
True AJ. It's just those little perks of mods that help the bike. Nevertheless, there isn't gonna be a jump in HP per se but definitely yes a little improvement can be felt and trust me that does make a teeny weeny difference. The stock plug UR5CC is extremely cheaped out, any more cheaper and she wouldn't even fire.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th December 2019 at 00:48.
Old 21st December 2019, 00:23   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
It's available at showrooms. Just call up your showroom or the nearest one, they will confirm availability. I did same. They had 2 units, I went and picked up one. Certainly better than stock version. Yet to test it over 100kms at a stretch.
I asked a showroom close to me, they seem to have it but the next weekend I was going to a longish ride so couldnt pick it up with that short notice. I shall check again and need to get this if its really making the difference before my Munnar ride in couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
True AJ. It's just those little perks of mods that help the bike. Nevertheless, there isn't gonna be a jump in HP per se but definitely yes a little improvement can be felt and trust me that does make a teeny weeny difference. The stock plug UR5CC is extremely cheaped out, any more cheaper and she wouldn't even fire.

Cheers!
VJ
I've got the NGK spark plug, replaced it and went for a 250kms ride on a weekend 10 days back, I felt the misfire (although I noticed it less frequently) and some irregular firing (this I noticed more frequently) seems to have got better now, I see stable firing and power delivery even at the low rpm and felt its better! I'm thinking if I need to change the power cable as well?

I was thinking of adding K&N as well, can someone tell me if I have to make any other adjustment if I replace the air filter with that one from K&N? I saw some folks doing it for Carbed version, mine is FI so just wondering if I have to make any other changes?

I was also looking at the exhaust by and then powertronics device, read some review where it really changes the character of the motorcycle, makes the engine really peppy and you feel its a different bike while accelerating from low to high RPM. Although its not going to help much in bumping up the top speed or motorway speeds, but getting there becomes really fun with powertrocnis.

Again, I'm holing off on those heavy performance mods while I'm contemplating to get the KTM 390 Adv and may get convinced to sell my Machismo 500 and Himalayan while I do that. I wish I dont sell them but maintaining more than one mo-bike is becoming a big project for me and hence in the dilemma!

Last edited by Ketan : 21st December 2019 at 00:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks