Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 10:24   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Make sure all hell breaks loose when you're at the ASC next time and demand for a replacement at their expense and settle for nothing less.
Yes, this is needed, but, very difficult to prove actually. They can always deny they did it or it will be harder for you to prove you never got it opened outside... it is a loosing battle in the book. But definitely try redressal

When I service my vehicles at ASC, I always check few things at the time of delivery, or before giving feedback couple of days later when they callback. Reputed ASCs don't want less than 8 out of 10 score in customer feedback. Two related events come to my mind- (1) When I had Safari, wheel rotation was complimentary on every service if last rotation was done more than 10k kilometers or before. ASC usually don't do it is a well known fact. But, they mark job done regardless. So, I used to put tiny dots with a non erasable black pen. Small dots, small enough to be noticed easily, look like tar marks on alloys. FL wheel- mark 1 dot, RL 2 dots, RR 3 dots and FR 4 dots. Leave the car for service. While picking up verify the markings on wheel and challenge. You should see the faces of the SA/technicians. Two times (2 different ASCs) I extracted apologies and 1000 rupees or so service coupons for next use.

Event (2) happened with Brio, service at a popular Honda ASC. They broke the plastic retaining clamp of the engine hood rod (probably a genuine issue the car is 7 year old and plastic harden, might have broken when opening the hood). Didn't inform me. Least expected, I will open and check everything even match the battery barcode with my battery invoice etc. So, in the evening, I see brio is nicely washed and shining ready to pickup. I tell them to open boot and hood. Check toolkit, spare tires etc. Noticed- the broken plastic clamp. Challenged them. They said it was broken already before service. Fair enough- then why didn't you inform or changed it?They have no answer!. Again extracted apologies and got it replaced FOC (not much, only 30 rupees or so).

Crux is "evidence collection" at the time of crime

Good luck.
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:05   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Looks very good on the bike. I have a question regarding this, do you know what the load rating of the top rack is? (The Zana website doesn't give any rating for the same) Can the rack handle a soft bag (around 40L) with roughly a week's luggage on the back?
Anyone who does long rides with pillion can also add their experience with moderate to heavy loads on the top rack.
Thanks,
Giridhar
I got it from Bikenbiker: https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...ith-plate-zana

Name:  Zana Top Plate.png
Views: 1929
Size:  774.7 KB

Quote:
Loading Capacity 10-12 Kgs on smooth tarmac riding. For rough road use it is advisable to reduce vehicle speed or weight carried in the top box.
One thing I would be wary of is the width of the bag against the top plate. The plate is not the widest.
In fact, the Art Of Motorcycles top plate is much larger, personally seen it. You could check that out too: https://artofmotorcycles.co/royal-en...il-rack-plate/

Name:  AOM Top Plate.png
Views: 1761
Size:  246.5 KB
shyamg28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:36   #1293
BHPian

I want to get the rear tyre of my Himalayan changed. The stock Ceat isn't that great.

Has anyone used Timsun TS-822? Also, I see that MRF also has Mogrip Meteor M in the same size. Does anyone has experience with Meteor M?
Old 15th October 2020, 11:47   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
I want to get the rear tyre of my Himalayan changed. The stock Ceat isn't that great.

Has anyone used Timsun TS-822? Also, I see that MRF also has Mogrip Meteor M in the same size. Does anyone has experience with Meteor M?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4727219

I like the MRF and found it much better than the stock Ceat. Used it on my ride from Hyderabad to Nepal and it was not scary on the mountains.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:26   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4727219
I like the MRF and found it much better than the stock Ceat. Used it on my ride from Hyderabad to Nepal and it was not scary on the mountains.
+1 to that. I have been using the same for the past 5k kms now.
Everyday to office and back on the CEAT had me sliding at least once when I bought the bike.
Slowly learnt to reduce usage of rear brakes on road especially.
This one is far better on tricky surfaces than the CEAT. But I recall the dealer mentioning that this is slightly more road oriented than the CEAT.
If keen on off-roading, might be better to check out some "knobbier" knobbies. I'm clueless on that (except the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR, which everyone knows about)!
shyamg28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 20:05   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Make sure all hell breaks loose when you're at the ASC next time and demand for a replacement at their expense and settle for nothing less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I agree. There is not doubt that the damaged screw head is due to negligent work by a mechanic. As for the broken tab, it might have been caused by a failure of the plastic but there is also the possibility the mechanic applied too much force on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Hear what the SVC says. If they insist you have to pay, please decline and then send an email to Royal Enfield customer care. Dont forget to attach pictures and add a link to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Yes, this is needed, but, very difficult to prove actually. They can always deny they did it or it will be harder for you to prove you never got it opened outside... it is a loosing battle in the book. But definitely try redressal
Thanks everyone for the inputs. So here's what happened after my last post.

The next day, SA calls me saying that he talked to the technician and that the cover was already broken when he opened it up. And that if plastic tab was recently broken, it would be in white color. I countered why the technician kept mum if that was the case (reply was similar nature to what A.P. had suggested). He said he'll call back and ended the call.

Ten minutes later, SA calls admitting that the technician did break it and they will provide a replacement part, which
being BS3 version, was not in stock and it would take atleast a month to arrive. I told him I'll escalate to RE because this replacement cannot be delayed and ended the call.

Within two minutes I get a call from their CRM. He was aware the situation, gave me his assurance and told me he'll arrange the part at the earliest. I asked him to mail me quoting their mistake and that they'll replace the part on FOC basis. He mailed me within five minutes, obviously not accepting any blame, but assuring a replacement. Here's the mail:
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Marikar Royal Enfield !!

As per the concern you raised about your vehicle KL 29 L XXXX about the air filter box cover.We cross checked the same and as a goodwill basis to the customer we are replacing the damaged parts in foc.Unfortunately the parts we need is currently not available so we have ordered the parts it will take around 14 working days in order to reach us.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We assure you your genuine concerns will be resolved at the earliest…
If any concerns or queries happen in future please be in touch with me .
I gave a reply to the mail, to just to document the issue in its entirety. (Thanks Neil)

Quote:
Dear Xxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

Please be aware that I had serviced my Himalayan BS3 (KL 29 L XXXX) with Marikar RE Service , Panavila on 07/10/2020 with JC No. RJC024420210xxxx.

After receiving the serviced bike, I noticed that the Air Filter Box Cover was damaged useless during service and the fact was concealed when I took delivery of it after service. I went to the Service Center on 13/10/2020 and requested the Service Advisor to replace the damaged part. Since the technician who serviced the bike was not on duty, I was assured a solution the day after, i.e 14/10/2020.

On 14/10/2020 (today), I received calls from the service advisor admitting the mistake and damage done by the technician. As such the technician was not able to clean the air filter which was part of the service bill amounting to Rs. 3,091/- (attached). He also said that replacement parts are not available and are ordered. There is only BS4 air filter box available whereas my bike is BS3 version. He advised me that there is no issue in using the bike in the meantime.

The bike is my primary transport and I cannot keep it parked even for one day. Please note that the damage to the air filter cover (image attached) will cause unfiltered air to enter into the air intake system of the engine and can cause irreversible damage to critical engine parts.

Since the cover is common for both BS4 and BS3 air filter boxes of the Himalayan, and since BS4 part is in stock as informed by the service advisor, I request you to provide replacement of the air filter cover and carry out cleaning of the air filter which was omitted by the technician and billed to me.

I hope you are able to provide a solution at the earliest so that I don't need to forward this email to RE Customer Support.

Thanks & Regards.
(I know I went overboard with the unfiltered air issue)

I did not expect the CRM to bother about the mail. But he called me later that day and informed that their Thrissur branch(250km) away had it in stock and the item will be available in 2-3 days.

Today morning CRM called and said the part will be available by 5pm and he'll arrange a pickup if required. I went to ASC myself and got it replaced. As it turns out, if the replacement is FOC, the whole airbox need not be replaced..

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20201015_175552.jpg
janakiram_m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 16:13   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
Today morning CRM called and said the part will be available by 5pm and he'll arrange a pickup if required. I went to ASC myself and got it replaced. As it turns out, if the replacement is FOC, the whole airbox need not be replaced..
janakiram_m, it is good to see such a speedy resolution to your issue from Royal Enfield's side. In my 6 years of ownership experience with the company, I have found them to be fairly customer centric and supportive while following a lot of processes to improve the sales and service experience. I would say that Royal Enfield is one of the better motorcycle companies to deal with, even if there are some issues with the bike or non availability of parts etc. The good old days of expecting to shout and argue and create a scene at the RE SVCs are long gone. As in your case, some polite emails, a few telephone conversations are all that is required to get issues sorted to one's satisfaction.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 19:21   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
In my 6 years of ownership experience with the company, I have found them to be fairly customer centric and supportive while following a lot of processes to improve the sales and service experience. I would say that Royal Enfield is one of the better motorcycle companies to deal with, even if there are some issues with the bike or non availability of parts etc.
My Himalayan is a June 2016 make and is one from the first batches of production. It had lots of issues and they were all sorted during the initial years of ownership. Replaced parts for those issues include the Cone set, t-stem, fuel tank cap, key set, stator coil (twice) etc. Also to rub salt to the BS3 wound, BS4 version was launched with proper quality checks and an FI system without any significant hike in price.

Agree that the company is customer friendly and is very accommodating to all concerns. I had to send a couple of emails in the same manner to RE to resolve the above issues when they cropped up. Once the company is involved, they'll coordinate with the ASC and sort out everything.

My only gripe is the way ASCs ruin the company's customer centric reputation. For my recent issue, I believe that the air filter cover was in stock at the ASC and they were holding up the replacement expecting me to forget about this or decline replacement citing BS3 stock issue . Once I mentioned that I'll contact the company directly, things got sped up.

I was so fed up with the ASCs such that I used to go to Cochin, where they have the company owned RE Brand Store, to service my bike. Those services were truly top notch.
janakiram_m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 20:25   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakiram_m View Post
My Himalayan is a June 2016 make and is one from the first batches of production. It had lots of issues and they were all sorted during the initial years of ownership. Replaced parts for those issues include the Cone set, t-stem, fuel tank cap, key set, stator coil (twice) etc. Also to rub salt to the BS3 wound, BS4 version was launched with proper quality checks and an FI system without any significant hike in price.

Agree that the company is customer friendly and is very accommodating to all concerns. I had to send a couple of emails in the same manner to RE to resolve the above issues when they cropped up. Once the company is involved, they'll coordinate with the ASC and sort out everything.

My only gripe is the way ASCs ruin the company's customer centric reputation. For my recent issue, I believe that the air filter cover was in stock at the ASC and they were holding up the replacement expecting me to forget about this or decline replacement citing BS3 stock issue . Once I mentioned that I'll contact the company directly, things got sped up.

I was so fed up with the ASCs such that I used to go to Cochin, where they have the company owned RE Brand Store, to service my bike. Those services were truly top notch.
I still believe the BS3 is still and will always be the best version of the Himalayan (my opinion and not considering the stator and chassis issue). It's still one of the "easy to maintain" bikes with minimal electronics. Of the numerous BS3 and BS4s I have ridden, the BS3 feels more lively and punchy and has that grunt which I feel is a bit mediocre in the BS4. I still remember, one of the main USPs of the BS3 was, you could still push start the bike with a flat battery and limp to the nearest SVC.
Please note, these are just my personal views which may differ from person to person.
Happy riding

PS- I have a BS4
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 00:00   #1300
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I still believe the BS3 is still and will always be the best version of the Himalayan (my opinion and not considering the stator and chassis issue). It's still one of the "easy to maintain" bikes with minimal electronics.
This is something I've heard from a fellow enthusiast who is also a Himalayan owner, he owns a BS3 but he's not opinionated against EFI like me since he owns a ZX14R as well.

His reasoning was that the motorcycle was repairable and it does make sense as he's a long distance tourer who has done several rides including a K2K on the said Himalayan.

Not to reignite a tech debate but strictly being technical the only thing that can leave you truly stranded on an older generation motorcycle is if it's CDI goes for a toss. Anything else you can simply replace from any motorcycle spares shop that is nearby or better carry a spare cause it costs peanuts.

Which brings to mind a tale shared by a fellow ZMA enthusiast who still commutes between TN and KA every week, once his motorcycle stopped firing and with basic diagnosis he was able to determine that he wasn't getting any spark, he was getting current from CDI but nothing out of the IC, so he simply walked to the nearest generic spare shop and got himself a Bajaj Boxer IC, installed it and resumed riding. No drama no nothing.

This is something that we'd miss with the newer iteration of Motorcycles, especially since BS6 has been in force, but the upside is that India is developing at an aggressive pace and RSA and Service Networks are way better than what it used to be, plus things would only get better moving forward, so it wouldn't be a stretch to expect hassle free motorcycling in the near future.

Quote:
one of the main USPs of the BS3 was, you could still push start the bike with a flat battery and limp to the nearest SVC.
This is optimistic thinking at its best.

Jokes apart my P220 also has DC ignition like the Himalayan and you can push start it with a weak battery but with a truly dead battery it is as useless as any Fuel Injected Motorcycle.

Modern RR's are equipped with a capacitor bypass to the Electricals as a fail safe or I believe you can get such RR's in the aftermarket for RE's as I remember seeing a video of such a unit being demonstrated by the guy from NCR Motorcycles a RE Enthusiast's go to YT channel I'm told.

@Janakiram, Glad that your issue has been resolved, if your motorcycle is out of warranty then it'd be a good time to contemplate DIY'ing or finding a more reliable shop near your place, cause riding up to Kochi for a periodic service from Kayamkulam doesn't make much sense IMHO.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 17th October 2020, 20:40   #1301
BHPian

I currently own a CBR250R (used) and while I'm pretty satisfied with her, next three years might be my last in the country and hence, I want to explore all I can, and considering our roads and obvious areas of interest, I'm contemplating a (used) Himalayan. Used one, because if at all Honda CB500X or a higher powered Himalayan is launched (parallel twin) I'm jumping ship hence not going after a new Himalayan. Want to experience parallel twin.

Do you all, owners, think it could be a good idea going the pre-owned route? What pointers should I look at and which variant should I target?

ABS is must, I'm spoilt by the Nissin brakes of the CBR
Old 19th October 2020, 11:07   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
I currently own a CBR250R (used) and while I'm pretty satisfied with her, next three years might be my last in the country and hence, I want to explore all I can, and considering our roads and obvious areas of interest, I'm contemplating a (used) Himalayan. Used one, because if at all Honda CB500X or a higher powered Himalayan is launched (parallel twin) I'm jumping ship hence not going after a new Himalayan. Want to experience parallel twin.

Do you all, owners, think it could be a good idea going the pre-owned route? What pointers should I look at and which variant should I target?

ABS is must, I'm spoilt by the Nissin brakes of the CBR
Im not an owner but I would suggest that you stick to the CBR250R and tour on it until an adventure twin gets released in India. The Honda is likely to reach before the bigger Himalayan.

If you still want the current Himalayan in a preowned avataar, go for BS4 over BS3 all day. Also the newer the bike that you can get within BS4, the better.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:37   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Im not an owner but I would suggest that you stick to the CBR250R and tour on it until an adventure twin gets released in India. The Honda is likely to reach before the bigger Himalayan.

If you still want the current Himalayan in a preowned avataar, go for BS4 over BS3 all day. Also the newer the bike that you can get within BS4, the better.
I want to learn trail riding and off roading on a more accomodating motorcycle before directly jumping on a middle class adventure motorcycle, hence the idea.

And I don't want to prove any points by being able to ride the CBR to the Himalayas, I'd like to have a purpose built motorcycle for it, and hence the pre-owned route again, because with the motorcycle, I can invest in luggage and other touring specific needs which I won't be able to, if I get a new Himalayan.

I hope I'm making sense.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:12   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to learn trail riding and off roading on a more accomodating motorcycle before directly jumping on a middle class adventure motorcycle, hence the idea.

And I don't want to prove any points by being able to ride the CBR to the Himalayas, I'd like to have a purpose built motorcycle for it, and hence the pre-owned route again, because with the motorcycle, I can invest in luggage and other touring specific needs which I won't be able to, if I get a new Himalayan.

I hope I'm making sense.
ManasN95, it does make sense from some perspectives. The thing is, if you get a pre-owned Himalayan, you would buy luggage and touring specific accessories, gear etc so that you can tour. This may or may not fit the adventure twin that you eventually plan to buy at a later date. All saddle bags are not interchangeably usable, at least to my knowledge. Things like that.

Given that Honda has started moving with it's Big Wing dealerships, the 500 series bikes should be here soon. Hence my suggestion that you wait a bit and continue enjoying your CBR250 till then.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 15:19   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I hope I'm making sense.
Hello Manas. Went through your posts and would love to throw in my two cents. The rule of motorcycles are simple "there ain't no rules" There are people who buy a bike and use 1/3rd of what it can do, and then there are people who go full on, on a bike that wouldn't even be deemed road worthy. You get the point!

Just like anything else, we have a wide genre of bikes with a specific "user tag" attached to it. There are guys who use their Triumphs/BMW ADVs for coffee/Sunday/Urban jungle rides and call it touring rig and then there are those who ride their R1s on desert, muck, hills and still come out alive.

Go for the bike if you truly have a connect with it, do what your conscience allows to you do with it. Just try not to exceed your or the bike's limits, that's when things turn ugly.

I always say, the essence of it is the key, and how it makes you feel, not what's between your legs. One can buy an expensive bike and still feel melancholy and not "fulfilled" which are dime plenty.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 8th November 2020 at 15:20.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks