Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 17:57   #1546
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
Royal Enfield Himalayan blocking the use of the word Himalayan for an Uttarakhand based agri-business

Hi All,

I work on entrepreneurship development and we have been working on supporting small businesses to create jobs in the Himalayan region.

An entrepreneur based in Kumaon, Uttarakhand tried to trademark his brand name: Himalayan Made to sell agri produce like millets, local herbs, seeds, honey etc.

The Royal Enfield guys have blocked his trademark application for Himalayan Made in Class 31. They acknowledge that his application is for 'raw and unprocessed agri foods, unprocessed grains, fresh foods' but dismiss it as an 'dishonest attempt .... to capitalize on my clients reputation'....
I am curious to know about what happened finally on this issue. I seems very unreasonable of Royal Enfield to block this trademark application.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 12:11   #1547
BHPian

Hi all!

I am looking out for a used bike for weekend rides and office commutes IFF work from office starts (hope it doesn't )
Because of my hefty build available options to choose a bike from are restricted.
Plus not willing spend 2.5-2.7 on a new RE as off now as I am not sure how well the 'weekend riding' stuff will suit me.

So considering all these points, filtered down on one BS4 2018 Himalayan (non ABS) Sleet Grey version used for 36K KMs.
Bike is equipped with many useful accessories and quoted price is 1.45 L, with slight scope for negotiations.

But I have following questions:

1. Is it advisable to have a "touring" bike without ABS now?
Also a point to consider is, in last 6-7 years I have never ridden a BIKE (use Vespa often).

2. Overall how do you guys find the deal? What should be the correct price in your opinion?

3. Any particular issue to look for, while examining the bike?

4. If not this which used bike you would suggest ?

Note: You'll find my similar post in other threads (like in Gixxer 250/ Dominar) as those are also in my list of option. Pardon me for that.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:14   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post

So considering all these points, filtered down on one BS4 2018 Himalayan (non ABS) Sleet Grey version used for 36K KMs.
Bike is equipped with many useful accessories and quoted price is 1.45 L, with slight scope for negotiations.

But I have following questions:

1. Is it advisable to have a "touring" bike without ABS now?
Also a point to consider is, in last 6-7 years I have never ridden a BIKE (use Vespa often).

2. Overall how do you guys find the deal? What should be the correct price in your opinion?

3. Any particular issue to look for, while examining the bike?

4. If not this which used bike you would suggest ?
1. Probably not, ABS had helped me quite a few times and the lack of has shown me the gates to the other side once if you know what I mean. Considering that you'll be touring at fairly high speeds i.e 80-110 kmph on the Himmy, I'd suggest you look for a bike with ABS.
2. A little overpriced IMO, If you're able to source a 2020 BS6 version for sub 2L, that'll be a good deal, again depending upon the mileage. I wouldn't personally get a used vehicle with more than 12-13k on the ODO.
3. Stalling Issues, Pronounced Tappet Noises, Inspect the welds on the chassis. These were prevalent on the older Himalayans.
4. If you are looking for a bike that was manufactured before 2020, I would suggest a Dominar. Else you can get fairly capable new bikes for less than 2L like the Hunter and the Ronin which will fair well for weekend rides.

Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 17:36   #1549
BHPian

My bike (2020 pre-tripper model) suddenly refused to start. No lights, crank, nothing. But when I hold the key at a particular angle, between ON and Ignition, the lights were coming on and the fuel pump priming. So the issue wasn't with the battery. I had washed the bike at home a couple of days earlier, so suspected loose wires.

It did come on for once and I took the opportunity to run it to the service centre which is about 3km from home. I was climbing a hill and it stopped again and I had just about enough momentum to take it off the road. Once again it cranked after a while and a lot of tries and this time just about reached the service centre.

They tried some lube, Rust-off et al which I had done anyways. Finally they agreed to get a new key set under warranty though they didn't have one in stock. Atleast the SC guys were prompt in sourcing one from another branch and sorted out the issue quickly over the weekend.
DesertLynx34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 00:42   #1550
BHPian

My 2019 Himalayan which has been trouble free so far faced its first major issue this week at roughly 12500 kilometers on the odometer.

The motorcycle would run fine the first 30-40 kilometers. However, after that, the idle RPM would shoot up to about 2000 rpm instead of the usual 1000-1100 rpm making the gear slotting very difficult. The engine heat would also be unbearable due to the high idle rpm and I could feel the motorcycle heating up like my KTM 390 in the city (which was never the case earlier).

So I gave it to the service station and they told me that an Oil temperature Sensor had gone kaput which was resulting into the engine cranking up its idle rpm whenever the oil temperature exceeded a certain limit. I am still not very sure what the connection is between both; the Oil temperature sensor and the engine automatically choosing to idle at a higher rpm but they replaced the sensor and after a day of riding - I can confirm everything looks good.

They also changed the rear wheel ABS wire stating it was stretched and worn out. Total damages: 800 rupees inclusive of both (roughly 400 rupees each).

The cone set is making loud thudding noises when it goes over an excessive high bump at speeds / an excessively deep pothole at speeds. So it looks like I will have to get the conset replaced too shortly.

By the way, has anybody tried this as a permanent resolution? Somebody at the dealership recommended this; not sure if it was another customer or a member of the staff.

https://artofmotorcycles.co/royal-en...set-fix-combo/
rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 17:19   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
My bike (2020 pre-tripper model) suddenly refused to start. No lights, crank, nothing. But when I hold the key at a particular angle, between ON and Ignition, the lights were coming on and the fuel pump priming. So the issue wasn't with the battery. I had washed the bike at home a couple of days earlier, so suspected loose wires.

They tried some lube, Rust-off et al which I had done anyways. Finally they agreed to get a new key set under warranty though they didn't have one in stock.
A common issue with Himalayans, please ensure to get the ignition key set replaced.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 22:22   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

By the way, has anybody tried this as a permanent resolution? Somebody at the dealership recommended this; not sure if it was another customer or a member of the staff.
Me and a fellow Himalayan rider friend actually visited them at their garage and he had the bearing replaced and the nylon cap added. He had good reviews. I myself was advised by Mr. Zuhaib not to change mine as I hadn't put in that many kms at that point but later on at around 13k I did change to the NTN bearing and it's been good so far.
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 17:12   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Can any one help me to source alternative to OE footrest spring.

From other OE or from Salvaged car part.

I have installed new footrest today at the RE service center.

Unfortunately the Footrest assembly doesn't come with spring and steel ball which is required to keep footrest locked in up or down position.

The mechanic arranged the steel ball but was not able to source the spring so installed it with a spring from PEN.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-riderandpillionfootrestroyalenfieldmoto411himalayanhimalayan410euro4himalayan410euro414.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-rider-pillion-footrest-royal-enfield-himalayan-410.png

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-spring-pillion-foot-rest-587777_a-s.png

Last edited by jeepster : 27th September 2022 at 17:15.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:02   #1554
BHPian

An update after ages:

My bike has ran 15k so far in the past 1.5 years. Life is keeping me busy, and priorities have changed a bit, so bike is used only for office runs, and weekly late night short rides in and around city. Construction of metro rail, and rainwater drain by corporation have made Chennai roads a nightmare. Thankfully the suspension of Himalayan is proving to be a boon on non existent roads. There are no issues with bike so far, and am consistently getting around 30kmpl during office commutes.

It was time for rear tyre change, so went ahead with MRF Meteors this time based on various reviews for my use case, and suggestion by @shyamg28.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2.jpg

Changed tyres and did a general checkup at my trusty FNG.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-3.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-4.jpeg

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 21:46   #1555
Team-BHP Support

My bike was way overdue for service (25,000 kms).

In the morning on my way to office in Hi Tech City (Madhapur, Hyderabad) I decided to check the Bolt Service Center to see about booking a service slot.

Quote:
Royal Enfield Service Center -
Bolt Motorcycles LLP,
Plot No.62, Sy.No. 11/3,
Khanamet Village,
Serilingampally Mdl Behind Crypto Sports Bar, Cyber Towers, To, JNTU Road,
Madhapur, Telangana 500084

Although it was 12:30 PM, the service advisor (Surya Ganesh) assured me that they will get it done by 6:00 PM.

I left my bike with them and walked over to office.

The bike was ready as promised. Surya is a very sweet and friendly chap. I liked the way he was interacting with everyone.

A new cone set (I think this is a mandatory change lol)
A new chain kit.
Air filter, oil filter, oil.

The bike feels much smoother and as I press the throttle I can hear a tune that says..."The mountains are calling"

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-re.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 1st November 2022 at 21:48.
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 00:30   #1556
BHPian

[New Purchase]

Y'day evening took delivery of my RE Himalayan (Rock Red color).

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20221106_172050__01.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20221106_173811.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20221106_171552.jpg

Intro IG Reel : https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkoN9...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Overall the whole process from booking to delivery was smooth, and happened just within few days.

On the Accessories front, I have installed few basics from RE showroom itself :
- master cylinder guard
- oil cooler guard
- pannier mount rail kit
- hand guard (were out of stock, will be soon delivered)
- large engine guard (were out of stock, will be soon delivered)

In next few weeks, would put some more essential accessories (mobile mount & charger, top-box plate, aux lights & its mount, etc).

I hardly rode for few KM to home, and had few key observations :
1) tyre pressure was quite low. Ideally showroom guys should have thoroughly checked beforehand. Upon reaching my building, got my handy Mi portal tyre inflator from my car, and filled air in bike (online checked the readings).

2) found the review view mirrors are not appropriate : very less field of view, and no more adjustment left as per my needs, especially the right side is too off. Planning to get this changed first - maybe Bajaj Avenger's are popular replacement ??

I would pour herein my experience / queries as it comes.

Here is to wishing myself - lots of happy and safe miles on this machine.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 09:31   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
[New Purchase]

Y'day evening took delivery of my RE Himalayan (Rock Red color).

2) found the review view mirrors are not appropriate : very less field of view, and no more adjustment left as per my needs, especially the right side is too off. Planning to get this changed first - maybe Bajaj Avenger's are popular replacement ??

I would pour herein my experience / queries as it comes.

Here is to wishing myself - lots of happy and safe miles on this machine.

regards,
Pranav
Welcome to the club.

Following are my two cents based on personal experiences:
1. If you are intending to keep the bike for long, go get a PPF done from a reputed detailer like 3M. Don't try to find cheap options. You will be most likely to face issues while peeling them off, a bad quality adhesive will affect the paint.

2. As you already mentioned about RVMs; I, and many others on this forum have found the Avenger mirror to be the best replacement and they are very cheap.

3. If you are dissatisfied with braking performance, you can change the disk pads. I opted for Vesrah ones(~1100), and the difference is noticeable.

Wishing you a great journey ahead with your machine
NTab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 11:08   #1558
BHPian

Quote:

On the Accessories front, I have installed few basics from RE showroom itself :
- hand guard (were out of stock, will be soon delivered)
- large engine guard (were out of stock, will be soon delivered)

In next few weeks, would put some more essential accessories (mobile mount & charger, top-box plate, aux lights & its mount, etc).
Congratulations on your Purchase! Wishing you many happy miles ahead. I have the factory large crash guards and over time I've realised that they offer very basic protection and you will benefit from investing in a more robust setup. Might I suggest the Auto Engina Crash Guard (link below) or any crash guard that can take the weight of the bike without bending or breaking, and should ideally have sliders as well.

https://www.amazon.in/AUTO-ENGINA-Enfiled-Himalayan-Compatible/dp/B08THFFTKV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=auto+engine+himalayan+crash+gu ard&qid=1667885807&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjI0IiwicXNhIjoi MC44MSIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&replacementKeywor ds=auto+engine+crash+guard&sprefix=auto+engine+%2C aps%2C247&sr=8-1&vehicle=Royal+Enfield%3AHIMALAYAN

I got a good set of Hand Guards from Bandidos Pitstop Online for much lesser than the OE Accessory, so do check it out.

Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 12:02   #1559
BHPian

thanks for wishes.
my replies inline :

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post

1. go get a PPF done from a reputed detailer like 3M.

I have not planned this yet. I can think of tank area (more prone to scratch, including with usage of tank-bag).
Any other areas you can pls suggest ?

2. Avenger mirror to be the best replacement and they are very cheap.
Yes, I will get this from a Bajaj OE part shop, thanks.

3. If you are dissatisfied with braking performance, you can change the disk pads. I opted for Vesrah ones(~1100), and the difference is noticeable.

Previously I had a Kawasaki Versys for few years (sold last year), the braking was absolutely superb and confidence inspiring. Read my intro post here :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4304276 (Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!)

In my few KM ride on RE-H, found the braking is pretty average - surely can't compare with a superbike. However, I would like to ride more my RE-H to get used to & learn the "default" braking pattern, and then later opt for some upgrade.
BTW, in our Kawasaki groups, many have installed Vesrah and said of decent performance at far lesser cost. However, still couldn't be compared with far superior (but costly) EBC ones, which even I used lots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Might I suggest the Auto Engina Crash Guard (link below) or any crash guard that can take the weight of the bike without bending or breaking, and should ideally have sliders as well.

Sure I believe the aftermarket crash guards would be good, I will evaluate at later stage. However in general, also need to consider that guards need not be very sturdy or rigid - at some point they really need to bent / break upon big impact, and prevent the collision force getting transferred to critical areas like chassis. (just like a fuse)

On the Slider part, I would avoid in these kind of adv bikes.

I got a good set of Hand Guards from Bandidos Pitstop Online for much lesser than the OE Accessory, so do check it out.

I opted for the RE OE handguards just to have some OE design symmetry :-)

Yes, previously I had good experience with such Chinese imported handguards, often white-labeled, having metal spine as main protector for levers and plastic flap to cover fingers. IIRC those retail for ~1500 bucks. I do have that installation video on my YouTube channel

queries :
a) is the side-stand extender really required ?
b) is the guard for brake oil reservoir really required ?

again, thanks for your wishes and suggestions.

PS: Im thinking of starting here a fresh thread of my ownership & travel experiences, just not very sure if I may be frequently updating it (time constraints el al). Lets see.

regards,
Pranav
Old 8th November 2022, 12:07   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for wishes.
my replies inline :

queries :
a) is the side-stand extender really required ?
b) is the guard for brake oil reservoir really required ?

again, thanks for your wishes and suggestions.

PS: Im thinking of starting here a fresh thread of my ownership & travel experiences, just not very sure if I may be frequently updating it (time constraints el al). Lets see.

regards,
Pranav

I am planningor purchasing both soon. I have noticed that the side stant tends to sink into soft mud or grassy surfaces causing the bike to tip over. For the rear brake reservoir and master cylinder, I'd say yes because they can break pretty easily. For the front reservoir, its purely cosmetic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks