Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:08   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
I hear you about the purpose of buying an Enfield and an REH in particular.

A point of note: in my first experiment with a cheap option for Aux lights from Amazon, I found no need to splice any wires. Only a 4mm dia hole was needed at the back of the headlight casing to connect positive lead to the ignition socket in series with the switch.
Out of 10 bikes, atleast 7 of them have auxlights on them, my general observation after visiting the service centre, and that too upto 3 pairs of lights. If you have some more moolah, you can also try rigid Industries.
One point to note, the 4D hyper spots are pure Spot lights or rather I would say, pencil beam, so the spread is very limited. You need to figure out what is your requirement, is it spread or spot.The 4D hyperspots will be very helpful to spot obstacles at a distance rather than to show you what's near.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th July 2018 at 03:33. Reason: removing full quoted post
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:44   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Out of 10 bikes, atleast 7 of them have auxlights on them, my general observation after visiting the service centre, and that too upto 3 pairs of lights. If you have some more moolah, you can also try rigid Industries.
One point to note, the 4D hyper spots are pure Spot lights or rather I would say, pencil beam, so the spread is very limited. You need to figure out what is your requirement, is it spread or spot.The 4D hyperspots will be very helpful to spot obstacles at a distance rather than to show you what's near.
No duty or anything? You imported it through aramex straight? Considering how cheap these are, i guess there is no landed duty.

Can you shoot a video of the lights in action at night?

many thanks,
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:23   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
No duty or anything? You imported it through aramex straight? Considering how cheap these are, i guess there is no landed duty.

Can you shoot a video of the lights in action at night?

many thanks,
Had to shell out INR 400 as duty. I didn't pay for the lights anyways, received as a gift. Will click some pics at night for sure.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 23rd July 2018 at 14:25.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:20   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Had to shell out INR 400 as duty. I didn't pay for the lights anyways, received as a gift. Will click some pics at night for sure.
Yes please upload a video of the light performance. I have made my own harness without touching the original wiring but installed a 1100 bucks Led pair off Amazon. Hence would like to change them to Auxbeam if they are good.
Old 25th July 2018, 21:00   #815
Team-BHP Support

Over the past few days, I have been playing around with the Fego Float.

I have finally found a very comfortable position for it.
A long ride thru absolutely mad traffic was fine!

The Fego is installed such that its very close to the tank. Air pressure at roughly half full.

The drawback is that it makes me sit a little too tall for my comfort. But given that there is almost no pressure on my butt, its something I can get used to.
Old 25th July 2018, 22:05   #816
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the Auxbeam as discussed. I am happy with the output but still need to play around with the positioning for which I am not finding the time. Will try to do it over the weekend.
Took Pics at two different locations-
Pic1- Stock Headlight
Pic2- Stock light with Aux light
Pic3- Stock Headlight
Pic4- Stock light with Aux light
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_7282.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_7284.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_7291.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_7290.jpg  

rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 22:23   #817
Team-BHP Support

I have never really liked nor needed extra lights on a bike. But those lights on your bike are looking as bright as a car.

I am just wondering if the lights were placed closer to the number plate, the throw might be a wider.

Something like its done, here.
Old 26th July 2018, 14:21   #818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
. As a counter measure I thought of trying the netted seat cover and got it done at a friends shop.
This comment was continuously playing on my mind. So today morning, while stuck in a traffic jam close to a seat maker, decided to check it out.

The guy strongly discouraged the use of the net. He kept saying that it traps a lot of dirt and I will need to wash the bike with water on a regular basis.

To prove his point he asked me to tap the nets, which he had hung outside his shop.
He was like don't do this brother. You will keep using your seat and it may remain clean. But your rear seat will get dirty and when you take your wife along, she will not like it.
Of course he said this in typical Hyderabadi style and it sounded way funnier that I can convey here.

In any case, I told him that my concern is that the bike seat needs this extra "Fego Float" on it and while its quite comfortable, I am worried about its safety.

We went ahead and put a regular seat cover on the bike.

The ride from that shop to my office was barely 8 odd kilometers.
It felt comfortable for that distance.

I will use the Fego during my long rides.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 16:49   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This comment was continuously playing on my mind.
The guy strongly discouraged the use of the net. He kept saying that it traps a lot of dirt and I will need to wash the bike with water on a regular basis.

To prove his point he asked me to tap the nets, which he had hung outside his shop.
He was like don't do this brother. You will keep using your seat and it may remain clean. But your rear seat will get dirty and when you take your wife along, she will not like it.

I will use the Fego during my long rides.

You should have tried it for a couple of weeks and if you found the issue as expressed by him, its only an experiment worth Rs. 200/250.

While, I agree the dust does settle in the gaps (takes a long time though unless it is always parked near a construction site) but it is equally easy to get rid of it too, just pat it hard enough for a few times and it settles the matter. This too I had to do only a few times in the last 6 months of my usage.
Try it for the sake of scratching an itch.

Cheers,
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 17:31   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The guy strongly discouraged the use of the net. He kept saying that it traps a lot of dirt and I will need to wash the bike with water on a regular basis
Another reason - this rubbish net has absolutely no grip and you will end up sliding around; whether braking, cornering, whatever

Tried it on my Duke. Took it off in 48 hours
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 02:35   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Another reason - this rubbish net has absolutely no grip and you will end up sliding around; whether braking, cornering, whatever

I'm using seat covers from JoyRide. To me it is alright, kind of protecting the original seat and serving some purpose as well.
Not as finished as the original seat cover, the rider seat part requires some efforts to get the right finish, the pillion part is easy to fit. It claims it keeps the seat cooler than usual owing to the material used etc..

I've done 2-3 hours ride without a break and close to 7-8 hours with short breaks without major problems. I assume it also depends on the build, if one has a heavily built frame, one's going to require good amount of real estate to rest seat bones / overall frame etc.
I found it even more comfy than my Machismo that has got seat with large flat area (not the stock one) to rest. I assume its overall seating posture that's making a bit difference with the handlebar raised to around 2-4 inches with risers (I got it done in order to fit the hand guards) and it felt even more comfortable than my previous rides.
Immediately after riding from Kudremukha to Bangalore, I didn't feel tired going for another 10 hours work routine and was amazed!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 12:53   #822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
2-4 inches with risers
Please share pictures and where you got them from.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:54   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Could be that way on the KTM, but definitely not on the Himalayan.
Plenty of riders in our group in Pune use it and are certainly happy with the performance (me included). Long distance riding is a lot easier on the derriere with this.

Most of us riders have installed the raised handlebar.

Cheers.

Last edited by Trojan : 27th July 2018 at 12:57. Reason: Added Handlebar info
Old 27th July 2018, 13:59   #824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Most of us riders have installed the raised handlebar.

Cheers.
Repeating again:
Please share pictures and where you got them from.
Old 6th August 2018, 13:09   #825
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to change the angle of the handlebar to see if that can make the bike more comfortable.

The Allen key in the toolkit was a little too big for the handlebar's bolts.
Went to the service center.

The helpful mechanic simply kept the toolkit's Allen key and tapped it in using a hammer. Soft blows not bang bang.

He said the same thing can be done for the headlight adjustment as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks