Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 20:08   #871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The MD of the service center called up around 6 PM. He confirmed that the issue is NOT alignment but a tight fork.

This must be a season for tight forks. My friends Sleet had this issue for sometime and it got rectified just yesterday. Earlier today another friend of mine enquires via WhatsApp about why his steering felt so tight at times. I shared with him what was done on the Sleet, then I log on this thread now and I read about the diagnosis received by you. Jeez. What the fork is going on? LOL!

Jokes aside, glad to note that the issues are getting sorted out.

Am curious to know how your seat comfort is now. Have the minor fixes helped? Got mine re-upholstered with leatherite covers, denser foam inners and a top layer of memory foam. This was around two weeks ago. On my recent trip covering around 1100km, its been quite a difference. Got some more long rides coming up. Will update after clocking some more time in the saddle.
Old 27th September 2018, 20:24   #872
Team-BHP Support

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Jokes aside, glad to note that the issues are getting sorted out.
Thankfully.

Quote:

Am curious to know how your seat comfort is now. Have the minor fixes helped? Got mine re-upholstered with leatherite covers, denser foam inners and a top layer of memory foam. This was around two weeks ago. On my recent trip covering around 1100km, its been quite a difference. Got some more long rides coming up. Will update after clocking some more time in the saddle.
The following things helped.
  • Bringing the handlebar a little closer.
  • Wearing slightly tight underwear.
  • Avoiding very loose trousers.

I have not used the Fego Float as I am not comfortable about using it in the city.

Maybe if my next long ride feels bad, I will replace the entire seat.
Old 28th September 2018, 01:40   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using my old Thunderbird since yesterday. It feels very different from the Himalayan and I am very glad, I did not sell it.
We had a member reporting such stalling issues some time back here on this forum, for a new bike, I guess it may be the same issue.

I don't have experience riding TB for long, but I can say that my Machismo LB500 feels good only in the torque / pull department (larger measurements in bore-stroke! and hence 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are well spaced, avoiding frequent gear change). Everything else is better with RE Himalayan, comfort, NVH, handling and fun!

Quote:
The MD of the service center called up around 6 PM. He confirmed that the issue is NOT alignment but a tight fork.
I agree with this assessment. Riding my old bike, I realize that there indeed is a significant difference between the two. One of them is the much smoother turning on my old bike. So much so that I was actually riding slower because it was a little scary.
I had this same problem with the Himalayan that I rented from Dehradun, every twist I had a different feeling and it was slightly scary at times when you are taking more than a few twisties, every few hundred meters. I was not able to find that 32" spanner to loosen that fork, eventually got it done in Badrinath and it was so much of fun riding it beyond that and during the return trip.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 02:09   #874
Senior - BHPian

And there you have it. The humble Himalayan teaching the mighty KLR a thing or two about blasting through trails. What an awesome little bike

Damn you RE. Why the hell could you not have paid a little more attention to quality early on?!!!

Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 22:37   #875
Team-BHP Support

I got my bike back today.

The heel guard from the Continental has been fixed.
Fresh engine oil and the bike feels very smooth.

The lean angle on leaving my hands has now doubled. The MD of the service center who is a very sweet and polite gentleman had met me before delivery and specifically asked me to bring back the bike after a test ride.

Once I get out of the service center, the only open stretch is the service lane of the ORR. Given the traffic conditions, there is no way I would ride back to the place.

So I just rode back home and informed him over the telephone.

Since I have the weekend open ahead, I will spend some time on the bike and try out Jim's advice on finding the alignment issues.

I will keep everyone posted on the changes.

Has anyone adjusted the rear monoshock.
From the manual:
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-b328e45db45e4a8d9da6884f8f9db831.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 28th September 2018 at 22:39.
Old 28th September 2018, 23:00   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

For an interesting unbiased review of the RE Himalayan you should watch the attached video.

Even if your not a Himalayan fan, the beautiful desert in Southern Utah is worth the time.

I recommend that you use the "full screen" button down at the lower right hand area to watch the video. The scenery is incredible.

While the speaker often makes references to other Dual Sport motorcycles with the REH coming out behind, I'm not sure many of them are available in India so, even though there are other Adventure Motorcycles that have some features that are better, the REH is (IMO) among the best offering available for you to consider.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 28th September 2018 at 23:09.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 23:51   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got my bike back today.
]
Hey bblost. I feel the rear-end is saggy on the Himma with the factory setting. The primary reason I wanted to get the rear adjusted happens to do with the side stand. I've had close calls with the rear being too saggy that the bike almost sits flat with side stand losing equilibrium, I always make sure the side stand surface is a little creviced or a at a slanting angle so that the bike tilts towards the direction of the side stand and not sit flat. Pain in the posterior to find such a spot, which is why I resort to main stand.

I feel if someone unsuspecting leans on the bike, the chances of it taking the leaner along with itself are highly highly probable, which is why I wanted to take sag out and wanted to make the setup stiff so that it's predictable and stays put. Now, I am not sure what the preload adjustment setting numbers are. Usually it's 5 or 10 clicks from my previous experiences with a standard setting at two or three, will have to check on the pre load click numbers. There is no such mention of the standard setting preload nor maximum preload adjustable numbers in the manual, which is a daft error by RE.

They state we can adjust the preload rating depending whether it's off road or on road, but not how much (in numbers terms) which would mean we'd have to keep fiddling the preload adjuster to get the setting right.

They goof up on vital tid-bits yet somehow make sure the manual is full of well manuale.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 28th September 2018 at 23:54.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 00:40   #878
Senior - BHPian

Got the motorcycle wash outside, cleaned the chain and lubed it myself using motul c1/c2. I'm hoping I have sprayed enough lube and don't create a problem for the trip I'm going early morning today.
Planning to ride to Pondicherry and back during this weekend.

One thing that I really wish is they correct the trip meter to show more than 1000KMs. I have observed in the past that both the trip meters reset at 1000KMs. This was the exact problem with XUV 500 initially, this was reported by many members and they corrected it with the new software/ecu (don't know which one) update. I'm hoping if RE can take that feedback and correct this for those who ride long distances.

I have another challenge to find a good service stations in Bangalore. I had bad experience with couple of them and thought the RE store at btm is better when I got first two service done with them. It was short lived, not really satisfied with my last couple of visits for showing some minor issues, they either don't have time or not interested in looking at the problems reported.
I'm thinking of ditching the RE service center and get it done outside with some good mechanic if I can find, going to check with Art of Motorcycle here at Bangalore and see how are they. Would it be a problem with warranty if I get my service done outside the RE SC?
Old 29th September 2018, 04:52   #879
BHPian

I've had a good experience with Gear Gear Motorcycles in Wilson Garden. Also, service rep Anand at Teknik Motors in Indiranagar was very nice to work with, but make sure you give the bike to him because someone else handled my bike the first time and messed it up.

On a related note, does anyone know if ABS is available to retrofit on a BS4 Himalayan? My bike is only 2000 km down and I don't want to sell it off to get the ABS version.
jackerhack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 10:23   #880
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerhack View Post
On a related note, does anyone know if ABS is available to retrofit on a BS4 Himalayan? My bike is only 2000 km down and I don't want to sell it off to get the ABS version.
Since you asked the question I believe it would be best to trade the motorcycle off.

Because to retrofit ABS you need to change a lot of things and add a lot of parts and unless you can do it yourself, it would just be inviting more troubles.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 19:43   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did inquire about it at my SVC, they say it's doable with Vitamin M playing a big role and at owners risk. They personally recommended not to do so. The important parts that required to be changed were, left fork, dash unit, the ABS Modulator, brake hoses, fuse box, wiring kit totally different, nitty gritty, gosh the list is long, and a costly proposition considering the intricacies involved, a botched up job would easily cost in 5 digits.

Is it doable? Definitely yes. Nevertheless, requires a total stripdown of the vehicle and a skilled grease monkey to tackle it all.

Parts downtime! Gosh, I need not even get started about that.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 29th September 2018, 20:21   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Even if it can be done, with centres (mostly) having reputation of not being capable to troubleshoot normal issues in RE bikes, would you entrust such a critical job with them??
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 13:17   #883
BHPian

Thanks, folks. Looks like no ABS for me.

If I have to sell this bike and buy another just for the ABS, I'm also dealing with the lost value in depreciation. There is always the temptation of trying some other bike to see what it offers. A Duke 390 or a Versys 650 or even a Triumph Tiger. Or maybe a nice 4x4 car.

I haven't extracted enough value from this bike, so I'm going to hold on to it for a year at least. Will keep an eye out for reliable ABS upgrades.
Old 30th September 2018, 19:54   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, folks. Looks like no ABS for me.

If I have to sell this bike and buy another just for the ABS, I'm also dealing with the lost value in depreciation. There is always the temptation of trying some other bike to see what it offers. A Duke 390 or a Versys 650 or even a Triumph Tiger. Or maybe a nice 4x4 car.

I haven't extracted enough value from this bike, so I'm going to hold on to it for a year at least. Will keep an eye out for reliable ABS upgrades.
That'd be a wise choice to do. You can save up for later as the current motorcycling scene is growing at a rapid pace with too many options to choose from, already. Going forward with the launches of exotic model line ups and the price war getting stiffer, who knows you'd probably end up with a Triumph, Kawasaki or even a KTM. Did we forget the pre-owned, that's another story for another day.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st October 2018, 15:27   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

I have another challenge to find a good service stations in Bangalore. I had bad experience with couple of them and thought the RE store at btm is better when I got first two service done with them. It was short lived, not really satisfied with my last couple of visits for showing some minor issues, they either don't have time or not interested in looking at the problems reported.
I'm thinking of ditching the RE service center and get it done outside with some good mechanic if I can find, going to check with Art of Motorcycle here at Bangalore and see how are they. Would it be a problem with warranty if I get my service done outside the RE SC?
Mehboob Garage on Nandidurg Road is a good option. The lead mechanic is a decent chap & very knowledgeable. He will never recommend unnecessary stuff. There are times when this place has fixed minor niggles without charging a penny. It is an authorized service center so that way your warranty stays intact.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks