Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 03:33   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Congratulations on the bike!

In my opinion, instead of the seat, it is better to go for padded cycling shorts. You can get good ones for around 1.5 to 2k.
I agree with you here. I have been using it for a while. I have shared that earlier as well. Crazy traffic, dust, pollution around the Sarjapur road, my night shifts, all have almost killed my cycling now, so using the gel padded short for my cycling for riding as well. I wore it for like 7+ hours during my cycling tours and was confident that it should not create problem for my day long rides either. Spandex or whatever that material used in the short that's tightly hugging your quads and hamstrings was the one I was worried if it gets too uncomfy over a long usage.
About 4 rides in the past I have used it, most of them were 6+ hours and one was full day, riding around the western ghats from early morning till night (to cover 550 kms only, most of the time was stopping, enjoying ghats etc.) and did not find 'any' issues with the comfort level. One thing I noticed that the gel pad is a narrow support around your sit bones and may support limited real estate out there, one with heavy frame or lot of adipose tissues out there may have to select the short/BIB carefully to ensure most real estate covered.
I bought the one with the gel support from Decathlon a few years ago, it was close to 1.5k, now it may be 2 or 2.5 but would be worth as a multiutility.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:21   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The only grouse I have with the motorcycle so far is the seating!! The butt really gets SORE! I have been thinking hard about getting a Fego Float, but your post makes me skeptical.
Adding a data point here. Last month I rode from Bangalore to Chennai and back using a Fego Float on my Himalayan. The ride was very pleasant with no soreness. I've also used it earlier on a ride to Wayanad.
jackerhack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:21   #963
BHPian

Quote:
The only grouse I have with the motorcycle so far is the seating!! The butt really gets SORE!
Quote:
In my opinion, instead of the seat, it is better to go for padded cycling shorts. You can get good ones for around 1.5 to 2k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerhack View Post
Adding a data point here. Last month I rode from Bangalore to Chennai and back using a Fego Float on my Himalayan. The ride was very pleasant with no soreness. I've also used it earlier on a ride to Wayanad.
Got myself the Fego Float. Did a 270 km round trip last Sunday evening. The Float definitely helps the butt! I started feeling the pressure only towards the end of the ride. Definitely recommended for Himalayan users.

Now thinking of getting padded shorts as recommended by other BHPians to use along with the Float. I'm planning a 900 km round trip sometime this month - will post another update as to how the Float performs after the ride.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 5th March 2019 at 20:23.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 06:46   #964
Senior - BHPian

I returned yesterday from around 750kms ride, Bangalore<>Vellangiri foothills. Except one small stretch that goes via Mettur and connects Salem<>CBE road (took that only while going, decided to stick to 4-lane roads on return due to villages, traffic and speed barkers I have to cross), it was all 4 lane roads (minus the terrible 100+ kms both ways to cut through CBE and to Velangiri, which is bit too crowded). Cycling short helps for such rides, although started to feel some irritation towards the end of the ride, reaching Bangalore, may be due to a long stretch without the break is the reason!
This was one of the first rides with so much of empty, straight stretches of 4 lane highways, one thing I realized that Himalayan is not for NH7 or NH4 types of roads, makes you cry on such a long stretches, I could have pushed it to 110kmph or more, but decided to be around 95-100kmph, avoid the engine strain and vibration that shows up post 110 kmph or so. It'd have surely made it better with additional HPs and that would also require much better braking abilities. the current ones are scary for high speed braking and one has to be really alert, judging the situations well ahead of time considering rear brake is useless, continues to skid and rely a lot on front brakes that seems to be working just okay only on good, straight surfaces.

Last edited by Ketan : 7th March 2019 at 06:49.
Ketan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:36   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
one thing I realized that Himalayan is not for NH7 or NH4 types of roads, makes you cry on such a long stretches, I could have pushed it to 110kmph or more, but decided to be around 95-100kmph, avoid the engine strain and vibration that shows up post 110 kmph or so.

The Himalayan desperately needs the 650 engine. RE will have a superhit product not just for India but most of the world. It is mind boggling, they are not working on this right now.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:59   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I could have pushed it to 110kmph or more, but decided to be around 95-100kmph, avoid the engine strain and vibration that shows up post 110 kmph or so. It'd have surely made it better with additional HPs and that would also require much better braking abilities. the current ones are scary for high speed braking and one has to be really alert, judging the situations well ahead of time considering rear brake is useless, continues to skid and rely a lot on front brakes that seems to be working just okay only on good, straight surfaces.
I agree that the sweet spot for the Himalayan is around 90-100 kmph, at approx 4500 rpm in top gear. Go beyond 100 @ 5000 rpm and she begins to feel rough. People who prioritise top speed, be aware of this before your purchase.

Do you have the non ABS Himalayan?? I have the ABS version and brakes are quite alright. I do feel the ABS kicking in during aggressive braking + downshifting, where the brakes wouldn't normally lock in other motorcycles. Also, the confidence the ABS inspires tends to make me use the rear brake more than the front brake!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 11:08   #967
Team-BHP Support

The right hand side lever is hitting the visor. No issues in the left hand side.

Bike has never fallen down nor been in any impact.

It handles just like before and this is irritating me when I park.
Any idea why?

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20190313_1104500812.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 13th March 2019 at 11:15.
Old 13th March 2019, 11:59   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Himalayan desperately needs the 650 engine. RE will have a superhit product not just for India but most of the world. It is mind boggling, they are not working on this right now.
They need a completely new frame for it which will take them time to develop. There is no way in hell I will put any kind of money down for the current frame with a 650 engine ham fisted into it.

Expect it only in 2021 though there are tons of rumours going around that launch is next year. And if it does indeed launch, wait a year anyway
Old 13th March 2019, 21:44   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The right hand side lever is hitting the visor. No issues in the left hand side.

Bike has never fallen down nor been in any impact.

It handles just like before and this is irritating me when I park.
Any idea why?
Strange indeed! It can either be that the handle is going overboard before stopping or we might have a misalignment of the front master cylinder position. But these are my guesses on what ifs. My hunch is that the master cylinder position might have moved up accidentally where you park by someone grazing the bike.

Start off by adjusting the MS and see if it helps, if not check the handle stopper point, it could have gone for a toss.

Keep your observations posted.

Cheers
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 22:46   #970
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Any idea why?
Adding to what Vijay has mentioned, it could be that the lever position has shifted.

Or more unlikely cause could be that the handlebar stopper has been affected resulting in the bars to go more to one side than the other, this usually happens when you drop the motorcycle pretty bad or if some illiterate fool tried to fiddle with the motorcycle/break the lock while you were away.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 23:06   #971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Adding to what Vijay has mentioned, it could be that the lever position has shifted.

Or more unlikely cause could be that the handlebar stopper has been affected resulting in the bars to go more to one side than the other, this usually happens when you drop the motorcycle pretty bad or if some illiterate fool tried to fiddle with the motorcycle/break the lock while you were away.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
I will check up on Vijay's points.

Bike has always been parked in very safe places and there is no way anyone could have tried something funny.

I did change the handle bar angle and I think I will try and keep it next to another Himalayan to see just how much angle change is there between a good bike and mine.
Old 14th March 2019, 00:16   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that the sweet spot for the Himalayan is around 90-100 kmph, at approx 4500 rpm in top gear. Go beyond 100 @ 5000 rpm and she begins to feel rough. People who prioritise top speed, be aware of this before your purchase.

Do you have the non ABS Himalayan?? I have the ABS version and brakes are quite alright. I do feel the ABS kicking in during aggressive braking + downshifting, where the brakes wouldn't normally lock in other motorcycles. Also, the confidence the ABS inspires tends to make me use the rear brake more than the front brake!
Mine is non-ABS, I wish I had one with the ABS. I have that habit of using the rear brakes or rather 50/50 which I'm trying to come out and use front brakes for 70% braking force, but then my reactions goes through a lot of processing to ensure I'm not turning on a tight radius, not a wet or sandy patch while using fronts heavily, always fear of front skidding which will for sure have a fall. Recently, I had to brake hard on Bangalore<>Mysore road behind an Innova when he had to brake suddenly, I followed with that 50/50 mindset and my rear wheel was like fish tailing for a second or two and then I heavily used front to get back in control and swerved away to safety. That tells me I really have to keep more than safe distance till have I new habits in place or a bike with better brakes.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 11:44   #973
Team-BHP Support

A close friend of mine asked me if I had changed the angle of the handlebar.

I had done that and like an idiot did not connect the two things together.

Moved back the handlebar by bringing it closer to me. Problem solved.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 09:42   #974
Senior - BHPian

Will inject something here a bit unrelated to the most recent posts, namely a couple links for reviews from abroad, in case they hadn't been posted here previously. With the various complaints and (sometimes rightful) condemnation the Himalayan suffered early-on in its home-market, it really has some fans out there among people who really RIDE them as intended:

1. These guys are really capable off-road riders and the scenery is stunning and it's worth watching for that alone - first segment here is review, second is a rather harrowing experience where the bike really proved itself for a certain kind of situation especially. They see the H's pros/cons, don't feel it's a game-changer but do feel that other makers will be forced to recognize the broader market's desire for a good, simple, relatively cheap all-rounder that takes people back to what motorcycling originally was supposed to be about - not posing / status / wretched excess, but just plain fun and easy rideability. They see the bike as kind of a modern rendition of a classic scrambler.

2. This fellow's opinion is one I really feel is worth listening to. Nathan Millward has done a world-tour on a CT-110 Honda Australian "Postie" bike (which if I'm not mistaken I saw in Manali way back), he used to have a blog up called "Going Postal" which maybe made him a bit famous. Thereafter he bought (like everybody else) a GS1200 and rode in Iceland / North America, wrote a book, and is doing commercial tours... but he REALLY likes this Himalayan, feels RE "nailed it" with this one, actually thinks it's basically the best off-the-shelf travel bike available out there at the moment:

I rode my friend's out in Lahaul a couple seasons ago and didn't like the rear suspension - too little of it and it becomes too hard as it compresses to a point. But these guys seem to be fine with it, so maybe it's partly my fifty-year-old butt/spine...(and the fact that the Impulse's really does seem better)??? Anyway, I'm rethinking things a bit. I like my three bikes, they each have their place and do things well in their unique ways... but when it comes to simplification (in life, and with bikes) and cost-effective one-bike solutions, I'm thinking a 2-3 year-old Himmie picked up cheap would be hard to beat.

The friend above sold his early-production Himalayan to a friend and bought a Triumph Tiger... which he had maybe a 1-1/2 years before selling / reclaiming the RE...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 19th March 2019 at 09:43.
ringoism is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 22:00   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of test rides, I have been watching a series of You Tube videos which show "Itchy Boots" ride on her Royal Enfield Himalayan.

Noraly is a 31 year old girl from Holland who is riding by herself on an adventure starting in India and riding thru Bangladesh, Myanmar, Malaysia. Then to Omar and onward.
By the time she had reached the tip of Malaysia she had passed 10,000 km on her Himalayan.

As I mentioned, she has an entire series of videos showing her voyage.
If this link works it should be of interest to you. Perhaps you will get "hooked" on watching these as I have. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI...W9WmYtsOcJBwTg
ArizonaJim is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed