Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 09:08   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post

Went to the dealer yesterday to get it on my himalayan but the mechanic could just not get them in place. Then he mentioned these are for the normal himalayan handlebars and not the braced one which comes on the sleet
I don't know what to believe. Any other recommendations from folks for knuckle guards for the himalayan?
The mechie is probably right. The braced handlebar don't have threads on either end. The bar end weights are press fit.
Old 11th June 2019, 20:34   #992
Team-BHP Support

Dropped my bike.

Was at a signal. Standing still. Some TUV comes in from the right and hits my crash guard. Bike leans over and I still have it in control. But the guy continues moving forward and this causes my bike to lie down. Its heavy traffic and I am unable to find a place to stand causing me to squat in a weird angle. Takes me a minute to get up. As I pick up my bike noticed the TUV bumper has a nasty scratch all over it. Bike has switched off. The TUV guns forward to get away. I keep trying to start my bike but it not getting on.

Moved to the corner of the road and try again. Then remembered that these new bikes have a safety feature. So turned ignition off and then on. Now bike stitched on but the signal has changed and the TUV has disappeared.

Incidentally bike had just crossed 13k kilometers today.

Damage: Busted left hand side front indicator. A few scratches on the crash guard.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 00:46   #993
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Dropped my bike.

That is literally a hit and run.

Its simply disgusting that the TUV owner fled the scene. And yet we wonder why the gods shower us with natural calamities. High time we evaluate how we treat our fellow beings.

Quote:
Damage: Busted left hand side front indicator. A few scratches on the crash guard.

Scratches and Scuffs on a motorcycle are like Tattoos with Better Tales to Tell!

I'd suggest you simply get the broken parts replaced and the scratched/scuffed parts to be left as it is, after all the thing is called a Crash-Guard to begin with.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:45   #994
BHPian

Himalayan or Interceptor or should I wait!?

Guys,

Need some practical guidance from you all. I do Chennai-Bangalore trips almost every weekend and I'm looking for a good tourer. The Himalayan and Interceptor are in consideration.

Conundrum: I won't be doing off-roading at all. But I want the tourer to take on bad roads, no roads situation in Bangalore, and also cope up with the elements on long straight highways when doing the speeds. I considered the Himalayan, but for the engine. Not sure if 24hp will suffice for the highway runs. Pillion comfort a must as well.

Considering the above, should I go ahead with the Himalayan, or consider the following:
1. Interceptor
2. Upcoming/rumoured Himalayan with 650 twin engine
3. Upcoming updates to the classics (hopefully if they have the new engine)

Thanks much!
Old 6th July 2019, 20:12   #995
BANNED

Re: Himalayan or Interceptor or should I wait!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Conundrum
It's about 350kms one side, meaning even maintaining average highway speeds of 40kmph considering road rules and safety you'd complete the ride in under 10 hours.

So in short that's literally any motorcycle out there, I've done a little over the same distance in about 6 hours on my TVS Wego from Ooty to Kochi, need I explain more about the road conditions.

Which basically means you can get whatever you feel like getting, provided you're aware of the costs involved.

Now coming to that what makes a noticeable difference, you'd need to compute maintence costs and fuel expenses, though this isn't a concern for many, even myself for that matter for regular use, the moment I even contemplate hitting the highway, I'd pull a calculator before I commit.

So do plan well ahead before the plunge and ride safe.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th July 2019 at 20:16.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 21:11   #996
Senior - BHPian

What do you use for the weekend trips currently?

Pillion comfort on the interceptor is non existent. The Himalayan is way better and has a natural seating position for both, rider and pillion.

To choose between the Himalayan and the Himalayan 650, I am in the same boat. Let's just say I'm waiting for the Himalayan 650, Adventure 390 and the Meteor launch. I was in no hurry. But so aren't these manufacturers, and that's what making me run out of patience.
Gordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 21:29   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
What do you use for the weekend trips currently?

Pillion comfort on the interceptor is non existent. The Himalayan is way better and has a natural seating position for both, rider and pillion.
Weekend rides: used to be my STD 350. But can’t it anymore - blame it on age and lack of patience. Now going by bus or Blabla Car. Both take an enormous amount of time (time consuming detours after entering the city or waiting for fellow passengers Or long waits at the tolls). I want to cut down at least a good 1.5 hours with a good tourer that can do decent speeds without compromising comfort.

Wish there’s some news on the Himalayan 650. I’ll book that right away.
Old 6th July 2019, 22:31   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the above, should I go ahead with the Himalayan, or consider the following:
1. Interceptor
Ive test ridden the Himalayan and the RE 650s and for your usage, the Interceptor is the easy choice.

From different people associated with RE, I keep hearing the same thing - look out for some exciting new offerings. I suspect it will be the updated classics with the new 650 engine.

Now RE is yet to launch these bikes so there is no telling when they will actually come and more importantly, when deliveries will start. Given the few months waiting period for the Interceptor, I'll suggest go ahead and book it now and wait for any news of the upcoming launches.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:38   #999
BHPian

I will be getting delivery of the Himalayan this week.I do remember that BS3 owners used to replace their clutch cables with the one from the classic 350 for a lighter clutch. Has BS4 solved this problem or should I request for this during delivery ?

Also there are no reports or sightings of a BS6 Himalayan. Should I wait? Would there be substantial improvements? Not interested in the 650cc option.
Old 7th July 2019, 08:18   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Conundrum: I won't be doing off-roading at all. But I want the tourer to take on bad roads, no roads situation in Bangalore, and also cope up with the elements on long straight highways when doing the speeds. I considered the Himalayan, but for the engine. Not sure if 24hp will suffice for the highway runs. Pillion comfort a must as well.

1. Interceptor

Thanks much!
I used Himalayan during the recent ladakh trip. It is short on power for highway use, you can keep it at 100 kmph, there is strain on the engine above that. If you intend to use it mainly on Chennai Bangalore highway, Interceptor suits the usage - you do not need an offroader. Pillion comfort is an issue with interceptor, as per the reports - the seat is quite narrow and foot peg positioned high above the rear exhaust.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 7th July 2019 at 08:19.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 14:44   #1001
BANNED

RE woes never seems to seize nor amaze me at this point.

A new Himalayan with a warped chassis, SVC is clueless.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20190707wa0007.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20190707wa0005.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20190707wa0006.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20190707wa0004.jpg

Source: KB100@xBhp

Stay safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 18:45   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
RE woes never seems to seize nor amaze me at this point.

A new Himalayan with a warped chassis, SVC is clueless.

Attachment 1891120

Attachment 1891121

Attachment 1891122

Attachment 1891123

Source: KB100@xBhp

Stay safe,
A.P.
Are you sure that the frame is bent? Is it that the front and rear wheels are not in a straight line or is it that the front and rear wheels are not parallel?
Old 7th July 2019, 20:08   #1003
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Are you sure that the frame is bent? Is it that the front and rear wheels are not in a straight line or is it that the front and rear wheels are not parallel?
The wheels are not in a straight line.

As reported things started with uneven tire wear, the usual suspects were ruled out until suspicion fell on the frame, which was later confirmed.

I've not inspected it in person as the same was sent to me.

But I can definitely vouch for the mechanical competence of the source.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 7th July 2019 at 20:10.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 08:56   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Need some practical guidance from you all. I do Chennai-Bangalore trips almost every weekend and I'm looking for a good tourer. The Himalayan and Interceptor are in consideration.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Buy the 650 twin. It makes a lot of sense for your travel needs.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:29   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
For the Highway use, the Interceptor wins hands down. The 6th gear, twin cylinder, and the relaxed nature of the motor are more than sufficient to effortlessly cruise on the highway. The Himalayan, on the other hand, will feel a bit strained on the highway. The only fly in the ointment would be the Pillion comfort, something which you mite need to do a jugaad. If you are on Youtube, one of the you tubers who goes by the name Bulu Biker has done some seat modifications (he too is based in Bangalore). Hope this helps.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks