Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 23:58   #1336
Team-BHP Support

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Check out this thread (The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread).

No matter what saddle bag you choose, don't forget to install a good set of saddle stays as well.

Search thru this thread for pics of my bike with saddle stays, bags and tankbag.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 00:11   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram8een View Post
Now I am planning to extend my trips and thinking to go for either top box or saddle bag to carry more with me.
Also I feel the mirror should be upgraded..can I go for Avenger side mirror..will it vibrate..
Congratulations!

What is your budget for each item?

I got a top box recently, 39 liters, Shad SH39. The box alone is around 11k. You'll have to install a top rack as the Himalayan's default one is considered weak and narrow. The top rack from Zana costed 4k for me. Put together 15k.

You can check out ASG and TrekNRide top boxes too.

I have Rynox Nomad saddle bags, cost Rs. 4800. In addition I have saddle stays installed so that the bags don't foul with the rear tyre by swaying inwards and so that the bottom of the right side bag doesn't come in contact with the silencer. Cost Rs. 2500. Bought 3 items from the above from Bikenbiker based out of Bangalore, who also have an online presence.

These were my previous updates on this thread for a top box:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4857200

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4905114

You could also consider a magnetic tank bag such as Viaterra Fly Magnetic or Rynox Magnapod. Himalayan's being a metal tank, allows this convenience of just attaching a bag to the tank. It has served me on 3-4 days of trips, just the one bag.

Here's my full setup: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4938123

As for Avenger mirrors, they work well, provide a nice wide view. I use Bajaj Pulsar (old one) mirrors. No vibrations and good view. Hate the default round mirrors given with the bike.
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 17:28   #1338
BHPian

Happy New Year

As has become customary, the wife and I went road tripping end of December!

Here's the route:

Bangalore to Udupi - 430kms: Kaup beach and then St. Mary's island.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-udupi-1min.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-udupi-2min.jpg

Udupi to Kollur - 80kms: Did the Kodachadri trek going up, via the Hudlimane falls route, came down in a jeep. Damn that section could be an off roader's delight and more. There's literally no path there.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-kollur-1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-kollur-2min.jpg

Kodachadri trek:
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-kodachadri-1min.jpg

Jeep on the way back. Apparently bikes were allowed some time back but I would say a light dirt bike is all that would work here:
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-kodachadri-2min.jpg

Kollur to Sirsi via Jog falls - 150kms: Hardly any water there right now, went down all the way nontheless, coming back up was "breath-taking".

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-jog-1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-jog-2.jpg

Sirsi to Dandeli - 110kms: Stayed in a tent at one of the camps. Rafting was okayish with just one rapid, named "Lord Beard"!

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-dandelimin.jpg

Dandely to Goa - 115kms: Took a crazy route to cross over from Karnataka to Goa. Being on a bike allows that but this one took the cake for being extra extraordinary. Apart from that, well, we chilled!

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by"!

Took a narrow road, which turned to no road on reaching the checkpost. By the way, reaching the checkpost meant an actual water crossing, lol, who needs Spiti and Ladakh I say. What you see below is the actual "road" after the checkpost. The officer said go straight and take a left onto the main road. Turns out, the main road was a good 8kms away. So basically, 8kms of off roading on a slippery as hell trail with a pillion and luggage. Fun! (We almost fell off a couple of times but controlled it in time).

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-k-goa-1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-k-goa-2.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-cabo-de-rama.jpg

Goa to Bangalore - 610kms: Managed more easily than we thought we would, having done that once before with quite a bit of difficulty.

As always, the bike performed flawlessly all through the ~2k kms that we did.
It is extremely enjoyable on smooth winding roads. On bad roads, well, with me, pillion and luggage on board, the suspension was smooth as hell, could be a bit stiffer though.

Engine oil leakage still exists. Changed one of the nuts to a longer one but the other wasn't. First thing I'm going to get fixed.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
shyamg28 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 12:08   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Himalayan spotted with Tripper Navigation
https://gaadiwaadi.com/2021-royal-en...er-navigation/

The Jerry can holder, windshield and the fender look different.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-rehimalayantripernavigation11068x601.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 5th January 2021 at 12:09.
rakesh_r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 23:14   #1340
BHPian

2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan likely to come with Tripper Navigation

Quote:
Apart from the standard instrument cluster seen on the current Himalayan, an additional pod can be seen added to the right of the regular gauges, which is most likely the Tripper Navigation system. It should be noted that the Himalayan test mule featured the Lake Blue paint scheme that has been on offer since the BS6 version of the bike was introduced.

However, rumours also suggest that Royal Enfield could go ahead and introduce new paint schemes for the 2021 Himalayan. That being said, the Indian manufacturer currently offers the bike with six different colour options to choose from, namely Granite Black, Snow White, Sleet Grey, Gravel Grey, Rock Red as well as Lake Blue. While the 411 cc 4-stroke SOHC air-cooled fuel-injected single-cylinder engine (24.3 hp/32 Nm) engine will be retained, the Himalayan is expected to see a slight bump in its price. As of now, Royal Enfield retails the Himalayan at a base price of Rs 1.91 lakh, which goes up to Rs 1.96 lakh (both prices, ex-showroom).
SOURCE
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-rehimalayantripernavigation121068x601.jpg  

Old 25th January 2021, 13:23   #1341

Hey fellow Himalayan owners.

I recently purchased BSVI Himalayan and had only done 1,000kms. I did it in one and a half months in Mumbai. Recently, a squeaking sound started coming and when I visited the RE Service center, they said it is Swing Arm. It required greasing and now there is no sound. But I am worried that it can be a manufacturing defect and might come again later. Any idea on this?
parthbudhraja12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 13:29   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Visited two RE showrooms (Sivaji & Marikar) in my city - Trivandrum , with the intention to test ride Himalayan. There was no display vehicle or one available for test ride at Sivaji, Karamana showroom. SA asked me to visit another branch which is a good 20 kms away from where I live and not in the main city. The SA there mentioned that it would definitely be a 5 to 6 months waiting period for RE Himalayan.
Actually, they are coming up with the Himalayan 2021 model very soon and that's why the manufacturing of the old ones are affected. You should wait for another month or two and book the 2021 model. I've heard it is coming with a navigation display just like Meteor.

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th January 2021 at 15:10. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank you!
Old 25th January 2021, 17:23   #1343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthbudhraja12 View Post
Hey fellow Himalayan owners.

I recently purchased BSVI Himalayan and had only done 1,000kms. I did it in one and a half months in Mumbai. Recently, a squeaking sound started coming and when I visited the RE Service center, they said it is Swing Arm. It required greasing and now there is no sound. But I am worried that it can be a manufacturing defect and might come again later. Any idea on this?
Best guess is your swingarm bearings were dried up and were causing the squeaking, greasing it would ensure that they stop complaining.

Uncanny on a new motorcycle but in all honesty nothing to fret about.

Again this is assuming that your swing-arm bearings were causing the squeaking, do make sure to inspect the swingarm for cracks, can't be too careful these days.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
Old 31st January 2021, 14:26   #1344
BHPian

Updated RE Himalayan 2021. The price in these pics might be including the accessories.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2021royalenfieldhimalayanleaked21200x800.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2021royalenfieldhimalayanleaked1200x800.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2021royalenfieldhimalayanleaked11200x900.jpg

Source: https://www.motoroids.com/news/2021-...ead-of-launch/
ASP007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:40   #1345
BHPian

Completed a 600 kilometre ride over the weekend. The bike was a pleasure to ride as usual- very comfortable with beautiful supple suspension.

I was travelling with luggage and never exceeded 110 km/hr at any point of time - because the lack of braking terrified me. Doesn't help that I am spoiled by the D390 in this department.

All in all- this one is a keeper. It will probably be there till the day I hang up my riding jacket and gloves for good. I am planning on going old with this one

Also - I went to a RE store to look at the Meteor (no intention of buying it - just a lazy Sunday with nothing to do) and saw that they had luggage panniers in stock. I was tempted by both the matte black colour which went perfectly with the colour of the bike and even the Silver one on which I would be able to paste the various stickers collected along my travels.

Couldn't make up my mind then - still can't make up my mind now. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210201_094743_106.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210130_161103_025.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210130_151016_5912.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210103_143029_2322.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 2nd February 2021 at 18:52.
rahul4321 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:13   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
All in all- this one is a keeper. It will probably be there till the day I hang up my riding jacket and gloves for good. I am planning on going old with this one
I'm sure she's a keeper. Wish you all the best here! May I know how many kms have you done on the bike?

Quote:
Couldn't make up my mind then - still can't make up my mind now. Any suggestions?
The panniers by RE are the best panniers I have come across for Hima. Excellent build and completely water-proof ones they're. Regarding the colour, I feel the silver looks better with bike's black, also better visibility in those night times? Also matte finished ones are quite difficult to maintain I reckon. So I suggest the silver one.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 01:03   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was tempted by both the matte black colour which went perfectly with the colour of the bike and even the Silver one on which I would be able to paste the various stickers collected along my travels.
Rahul, I would suggest the Silver colour. The contrast will suit your black bike far better and will also be easier to maintain in the long run.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:50   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will go for the Aluminium finish. Panniers will be subjected to bruises and scratches. On the black these will be more visible hence will recommend to stick to the Aluminium ones.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:26   #1349
BHPian

Clatter after 3500 RPM in BS6 Himalayan

Friends,

Needed guidance for my Himalayan BS6.

Brief history :

It is under the pre worshipped category. I am the 2nd owner. Bike billed in March'20.

I purchased it from it's owner in Nov'20 with 2,250kms on the ODO. Currently at 6,300kms. Owner supposedly wanted to buy a " Bullet" and got a Himalayan !

Issue -

While the bike is in motion, after 3500 (approx) RPM, a clatter type of sound starts coming from the engine which is there in all gears ( imagine a tractor type of clatter).

While purchasing the bike, the sound was there, which I had shown to the RE service centre ( had gotten the bike checked there only before finalising the deal and also got the 2nd service done along with getting extended warranty). Was assured that nothing is wrong and even their test ride bike also had the same sound ( it was there, but not so prominent) and that it would go away on it's own.

This sound does not come when the bike is revv'd till redline at stand still, it is there only when the bike is moving and after 3500 RPM, irrespective of gear and it's really loud clatter after crossing into triple digit speeds.

I have also had the bike checked thoroughly for loose ends, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have shown it to a trusted RE service centre and they adjusted the tappets and have assured me that all is well and do not worry.

But the sound is a irritant, so before I raise to RE, thought i'll check with experts here if anybody has faced such a issue.

To give my background, I have had a 1971 Bullet, 1977 Bullet, 2003 AVL Thunderbird, 2014 Standard 500. Clarifying this as though am not technically inclined, but at least I think I know what sounds right and what doesn't.
Old 4th February 2021, 15:50   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
I'm sure she's a keeper. Wish you all the best here! May I know how many kms have you done on the bike?

The panniers by RE are the best panniers I have come across for Hima. Excellent build and completely water-proof ones they're. Regarding the colour, I feel the silver looks better with bike's black, also better visibility in those night times? Also matte finished ones are quite difficult to maintain I reckon. So I suggest the silver one.

Cheers!
Thank you so much GandalfTheGrey. The bike is a BS4 model which is currently 1 year and 3 months old and I have completed 7200 kilometers on it

Thank you for your vote of confidence on the RE panniers. Silver seems to be the top choice of everyone on this forum who has replied to my question - so I am now slowly leaning towards Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Rahul, I would suggest the Silver colour. The contrast will suit your black bike far better and will also be easier to maintain in the long run.

Cheers
Thank you Cyborg for your valuable input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I will go for the Aluminium finish. Panniers will be subjected to bruises and scratches. On the black these will be more visible hence will recommend to stick to the Aluminium ones.
Thank you Rakesh for your valuable input.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 4th February 2021 at 15:52. Reason: typo
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks