Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 21:43   #946
Team-BHP Support

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Any idea what is this seat like:

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/h...talog/1990208/

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-capture.png
Old 15th January 2019, 23:01   #947
BHPian

Here is a link to Himalayan Workshop manual, if any one is interested in getting their hands dirty

EFI
http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/spi...ice-manual.pdf

Carb version

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=19#manual

Last edited by adrian : 15th January 2019 at 23:07.
adrian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 13:44   #948
BHPian

Need some suggestions regarding my Himalayan.

The bike is just around three months now(Nov 5th 2018) and run for about 1780 Kms. I was planning for the interceptor, the pricing information I received from a friend working in RE was above 3.5 lakh and this made me go for the Himalayan(ABS).

I have a serious itching to get the 650 twins now and I have put my bike for sale.

I know that the depreciation is going to be huge and I am about to lose some money for sure. I need some suggestion/ advice here.

The performance of the bike is satisfactory and I have not faced any niggles as of now except the rev limiter that creates this awful vibration when I open the throttle.

Should I keep it or go for the 650.
Old 17th January 2019, 14:46   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post

To be honest no one can help you with this question.

There are only two questions to answer here.
1. Are you at a financial point in your life, where Rs 40,000 can be forgotten. If yes, then don't bother about it.
2. Do you like the 650 or some other bike, then buy it.

Frankly there is only one life and its too short to be wasted thinking about "What If".
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 14:58   #950
BHPian

Quote:
I'd say why did you buy Himalayan in the first place? Was it just the budget or go anywhere purpose? Do you see yourself on paved roads or trails/broken roads mostly? What's about twins that's racing your heart beat? And is it more valuable than the places where Himalayan can take you?

Once you get the answer from heart, either take the hit or find a trail. If you still end up scratching your head, proudly own both for a while and then decide which one to sell off (I've also been deciding since few years now )

Last edited by wangdu : 17th January 2019 at 14:59. Reason: typo
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:37   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

1. Are you at a financial point in your life, where Rs 40,000 can be forgotten. If yes, then don't bother about it.

Frankly there is only one life and its too short to be wasted thinking about "What If".
The first question is sort of reflection on my financial status - which I am yet to realize what I am into . I am the ordinary IT guy with loans eating into my salary
I test rode the interceptor a couple of times, going for another one today. I liked the whole thing about the bike, the looks, the way it rode, everything.
Have posted my bike for sale in our classifields as well as Olx, the quotes received are pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I'd say why did you buy Himalayan in the first place? Was it just the budget or go anywhere purpose? Do you see yourself on paved roads or trails/broken roads mostly? What's about twins that's racing your heart beat? And is it more valuable than the places where Himalayan can take you?
It was not the budget, I went with the mass assumptions on the pricing of the bike. If it was priced anything above 3 lakh OTR, I wouldn't have even bothered about it now, but the feeling of "you know you could have easily made it then" is creeping badly into me.

I am someone who did about 60,000 Kms on my classic 500, but yes the intensity of biking has gone down considerably now and I take my car for long drives. But the love towards bikes, does not cease to die. As you said himalayan could take me into places, but I seriously doubt whether I would take it there. What I am looking for in a bike now is more into regular office commute, weekend city rides and for the not so frequent long rides.

Quote:
Once you get the answer from heart, either take the hit or find a trail. If you still end up scratching your head, proudly own both for a while and then decide which one to sell off (I've also been deciding since few years now )
That suggestion would mostly end up my marriage
Old 20th January 2019, 17:48   #952
BHPian

Each bike has a different connect with it's rider. So buy whichever bike makes you happy. That being said, these are 2 entirely different categories: One is a go-anywhere dual sport the other is a highway mile muncher. Think about what you would like to do and then decide on the bike rather than the other way around. Take your Himalayan off-roading a couple of times. In my case, I have the Himalayan and I like the interceptor but I also know Himalayan will do things that an interceptor wont, so I will keep this till they plonk the 650 engine in the Himalayan.

Quote:

The bike is just around three months now(Nov 5th 2018) and run for about 1780 Kms. I was planning for the interceptor, the pricing information I received from a friend working in RE was above 3.5 lakh and this made me go for the Himalayan(ABS).

I have a serious itching to get the 650 twins now and I have put my bike for sale.

I know that the depreciation is going to be huge and I am about to lose some money for sure. I need some suggestion/ advice here.

The performance of the bike is satisfactory and I have not faced any niggles as of now except the rev limiter that creates this awful vibration when I open the throttle.

joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 18:18   #953
BHPian

This might just be the thing I am looking for since I find the seat too soft for longer rides. I wonder if the seat material is also different or if they just put a 3D net (which costs just a few hundred Rs) on the regular seat along with a seat cover. Might be something to check in person.

Quote:
Old 21st January 2019, 13:40   #954
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Each bike has a different connect with it's rider. So buy whichever bike makes you happy. That being said, these are 2 entirely different categories: One is a go-anywhere dual sport the other is a highway mile muncher. Think about what you would like to do and then decide on the bike rather than the other way around. Take your Himalayan off-roading a couple of times. In my case, I have the Himalayan and I like the interceptor but I also know Himalayan will do things that an interceptor wont, so I will keep this till they plonk the 650 engine in the Himalayan.
Took the bite, booked an Interceptor on Saturday. got a buyer for my Himalayan and yes the pricing was good enough to iron out loss to an extend.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it did help me clear a couple of things and make the decision. Took a long test drive on the same day before booking and I am sure the bike would serve me well for the years to come.

I made the decision considering a couple of things,

1) Frequency of off road trips are very very low
2) I travel often between Bangalore - Kochi, I would distribute that work evenly to my car and bike from now
3) I am sure that being an RE, the bike would sustain some rough terrains - maybe not as well as Himalayan but no complaints there
4) Just loved the power, twin cylinders were a dream. Let make it true.
5) Could be the last bike I own, let it be an RE twin
psmenon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 20:59   #955
Senior - BHPian

Guys. Saw the slate edition and loved the bike. I have never ridden a Himalayan but have reas about it on team bhp extensively. I keep reading that the Himalayan is very underpowered.

So, I am a guy who has had an Unicorn as the highest BHP bike I have owned. Hence my performance benchmark is low. Will I also find the performance disappointing coming from a Unicorn? Or is it definitely an upgrade over the Unicorn?
Old 27th January 2019, 21:33   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys. Saw the slate edition and loved the bike. I have never ridden a Himalayan but have reas about it on team bhp extensively. I keep reading that the Himalayan is very underpowered.

So, I am a guy who has had an Unicorn as the highest BHP bike I have owned. Hence my performance benchmark is low. Will I also find the performance disappointing coming from a Unicorn? Or is it definitely an upgrade over the Unicorn?
Slate Edition? That did bring out the best in me. I hope it was sleet edition
Coming to your query about Unicorn vs Hima. The one sore point about the Hima is that the bike is HEAVY. Coming from Unicorn, you'd love the fill it shut it type, easy to maneuver through the city, squeeze in tight gaps but importantly that light weight of the motorcycle helps in overall ease of use.

Not with the Himalayan, you have to make sure you take all heed while doing and undoing center stand and also the surface it's parked, can easily disembark if parked on a loose/crumble surface. Also moving it with your foot can be a task due to the inherent weight of the motorcycle.

But the comfort, the ride feel/form factor, user friendliness, go anywhere attitude, is the essence of the this motorcycle, trust me, though underpowered, you'll love the torque spread and the joy the little ADV has to offer upgrading from the Uni.

Take a plunge, I'd say.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 10:15   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
The 650 in the Himalayan is a proposition that has had me salivating for a while now. That being said, I am more than happy with the 411 on tap right now. It is yet to prove inadequate, and has kept me company through a fair few painful bum incidents.

I wish they could do something about the lazy front wheel for those twisty ghats, instead.
Old 6th February 2019, 13:00   #958
Team-BHP Support

Went to Rider Mania 2019 at Udaipur.

Total distance was about 2700 kilometers. Onward journey was spread out over 2.5 days. Returned in 2.

Bike held up beautifully. It had no issues except 2.
1. The Allen bolts that hold the side panels got lose. Needed a tightening at Udaipur.
2. The seat was painful and my butt was sore. The fego float helps but not much. I am going to replace the seat before the next long ride.

The bike handles bad roads beautifully.
It does not need any extra lights as the stock is more than adequate. I rode over a lot of dark stretches thru the night and just saw to it that the helmet visor was clean.
The mobile charger is very useful and is a must have accessory.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 22:17   #959
BHPian

Proud owner of a 2018 Himalayan ABS for the past 3 months and 1600 km here!

Quote:
2. The seat was painful and my butt was sore. The fego float helps but not much. I am going to replace the seat before the next long ride.
The only grouse I have with the motorcycle so far is the seating!! The butt really gets SORE! I have been thinking hard about getting a Fego Float, but your post makes me skeptical.

Something interesting I've found in the Riding Gear thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post4488308 (The Riding Gear thread)

What gear/clothing did you use during your ride?
Old 20th February 2019, 09:34   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Proud owner of a 2018 Himalayan ABS for the past 3 months and 1600 km here!

The only grouse I have with the motorcycle so far is the seating!! The butt really gets SORE! I have been thinking hard about getting a Fego Float, but your post makes me skeptical.
Congratulations on the bike!

In my opinion, instead of the seat, it is better to go for padded cycling shorts. You can get good ones for around 1.5 to 2k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks