Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2016, 11:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Buying a new bike for Commuting

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Well if you want to choose among RE's then I would suggest you to go for RE Electra(name changed to Bullet 350). It has a very nice suspension set up compared to Standard 350 coupled with front disc brake and electric start. The front disc brake can be a life saver while panic braking while the electric start comes in handy while waiting at the traffic signal for quick starting.
Can you please elaborate on the difference in suspension setups? I used to think all RE's have same suspension.
Old 11th October 2016, 13:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saargoga View Post
Can you please elaborate on the difference in suspension setups? I used to think all RE's have same suspension.
There is no need to elaborate mate if you know the difference between oil filled and gas filled rear suspension. The Bullet 350 uses an oil filled rear suspension while the Bullet 350(ES) aka Electra uses gas filled rear suspension. The front suspension is also slightly different on Bullet 350(ES) which used to come on earlier AVL Tbird 350. From my experience of owning Standard CI Bullet 350 which I transformed into Electra where I replaced Standard Bullet front stock suspension using Electra forks I have found the ride has become sublime and damping effect is good too.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 14:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
From my experience of owning Standard CI Bullet 350 which I transformed into Electra where I replaced Standard Bullet front stock suspension using Electra forks I have found the ride has become sublime and damping effect is good too.
Thanks. This sounds very interesting to me, was thinking of modifying my c5 to be more like standard 5.
Old 12th October 2016, 01:40   #49
BHPian

Re: Back Pain - Which Royal Enfield? Classic vs Thunderbird vs Himalayan

Quote:
Mate look here on RE's website. The Bullet 350 has a suffix of (ES) which stands for electric start.
[url] But remember there is no meaning in getting a disc brake retrofitted and spending money when one can buy the Bullet 350(ES) from the showroom with disc brake + electric start.

Coming to not using Electric start. My Tbird500 comes with ES but I seldom use it as I like kick starting it. But the ES comes in real handy while waiting at signals and other such situations when quick start is needed. I would also like to mention that the new UCE motors are high compression engines and require a lot of effort for kick starting compared to low compression older CI engines. Five to Seven kicks on a UCE and one starts sweating with their knees shivering due to high compression engine.
Just checked all REs models and drove every single one of them.

Standard- Good posture, stable, and easy to ride in traffic. The drum version one is Ok but I am not compromising on disc brakes. There is an electric start version with gas filled shock absorbers and disk brakes. This is a model which I like the most.

Thunderbird 350- Poor posture and not at all nimble in traffic. pretty much unusable for slogging through rush hour traffic. Did not try 500

Classic 350- Very relaxed posture and good tyre width, braking is reassuring. But not as easy to steer as the standard in traffic.

Classic 500- Almost the same as 350 in dynamics the additional weight was minimally felt but the power delivery was butter smooth and responsive.

Bullet 500- Same excellent posture as the standard, comes with better tyres and disc brakes. The tyre size is decent compared to the standard which is only one size ahead of the moto-d I use on my RX which makes the standard extremely vulnerable in rain. The increased weight is felt at low speeds and the power is certainly high. Did not find it intimidating even in the densest of traffic.

I felt that I should take the 500 as it's a better all round package than the standard but the sales person says it would be the most inappropriate bike to use in rush hour traffic and that I should select the classic 350.

The bike I buy would be used only within the city and based on driving experience the decision should be between Standard 350(ES) and Bullet 500.

Bullet Gurus, would the 500 be a daft decision.

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2016 at 18:48. Reason: typos
Captain Haddock is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th October 2016, 10:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
There is an electric start version with gas filled shock absorbers and disk brakes. This is a model which I like the most.
That's the Electra for you mate. It has been renamed to Bullet 350(ES). If I were you I would pick this up given the need and purpose for which I am buying it.
Quote:
Bullet 500- Same excellent posture as the standard, comes with better tyres and disk brakes. The tyre size is decent compared to the standard which is only one size ahead of the moto-d I use on my RX which makes the standard extremely vulnerable in rain. The increased weight is felt at low speeds and the power is certainly high. Did not find it intimidating even in the densest of traffic.
If you are a sucker for Bullet's regal look and timeless design then you can go for the 500cc version. I also feel if one has rode the 500cc then the 350cc version wont satisfy one. Every time you spot the 500cc version at a signal or on the road you will regret buying the 350cc version. If Only But!!
Quote:
The bike I buy would be used only within the city and based on driving experience the decision should be between Standard 350(ES) and Bullet 500.
Bullet Gurus, would the 500 be a daft decision.
Mate if your sole riding purpose is to commute within the city then Bullet 350(ES) is your option. I have a Tbird500 and although I find it easy to ride in city the whole power especially the torque is WASTED due to stop and go traffic. The traffic speeds in Bombay hardly crosses 40 KMPH during peak hours which is a gross injustice to a 500cc motor. I almost every time take out my Bullet Standard 350 for commuting in the city.

Happy choosing.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 11:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Bullet 500- Same excellent posture as the standard, comes with better tyres and disk brakes. The tyre size is decent compared to the standard which is only one size ahead of the moto-d I use on my RX which makes the standard extremely vulnerable in rain. The increased weight is felt at low speeds and the power is certainly high. Did not find it intimidating even in the densest of traffic.

I felt that I should take the 500 as it's a better all round package than the standard but the sales person says...
Dear Cap,

I was in dilemma as you are and went ahead with the bullet 500. I have been following you in this thread, and all the time you were eyeing for the 'bullet' not the Tbird or Classic. Don't go with what the salesman say or even your friends for that matter. Go by your heart, I can sense you are attracted towards the 500 then go for it. You can bear the burden of love (500) than carry the burden that others force upon you.

The 500 fits the bill of a true bullet. It has the right tyres, headlamp, pin-stripped tank with old logo, and that olive green is awesome under the sun. Classic is too common, a cap deserves something special!
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 08:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thunderbird 350- Poor posture and not at all nimble in traffic. pretty much unusable for slogging through rush hour traffic. Did not try 500

Classic 350- Very relaxed posture and good tyre width, braking is reassuring. But not as easy as to steer as the standard in traffic.
I am little surprised here. I have heard people praising Thunderbird's driving posture and it's cruise capabilities, ease of driving in city conditions and highway alike. I am currently owning a commuter Honda Unicorn 150 cc and my daily drive to office is of 100 kms up and down and was split between Thunderbird and Classic 350.
Old 5th December 2016, 02:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a fact of life. Everyone's body is different.

Something that fits one person just fine won't fit someone else.

Take your favorite chair for instance.

While it conforms perfectly to your body, fitting you like a fine glove, others will find it to cause them to slouch or to have to sit too upright and pronounce it as the most uncomfortable thing they've ever sit in in their life.

The same is true with motorcycles.

A motorcycle that is perfect for one person may be totally wrong for someone else.
It may cause back pain, arm pain, neck pain or make them stretch to reach the handle bars or need to put their feet too far forward or too far back. In fact, it may be a real "pain in the butt" (literally).

That is why it is important to sit on as many different motorcycles as possible and it is even more important to take the longest test rides the dealer will allow.

While test riding a motorcycle, the obvious things like throttle response, handling and braking are most noticeable to everyone but making a mental note of needing to position your body in any manner that seems to be uncomfortable is one of the most important things to do.

I don't care how neat the motorcycle is or how many people will be looking at it and envy the owner. If it doesn't fit them, they will soon regret buying it and be stuck with riding it.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 5th December 2016 at 02:52.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 18:13   #54
BHPian

Just bought a 500cc bullet. The bike came at a time when the Rx 100 headlight was playing spoil sport The bike was selected over the 350 because of a wider tyre and disk brake. The engine has so much torque that I can manage everything in 3gear. However the top gear cannot be engaged in Kochi because it manages even relatively high speeds in fourth with out any strain. The weight is comparable to 350cc variants and feels more easy to drive than even the classic 350. My real need was a bike with a comfortable posture and enough power. The RX had a good posture and offered adequate power. None of the 150cc bikes today are comfortable based on posture except for the old Unicorn and Cbz. The fuel consumption of the 500cc mill is reasonable at around 30 kilometers/litre comparable to the RX 100's 35-40. One area of improvement for RE could be the quality of electricals used. The bike's turn lights developed problems 1 week and the bike has to be religiously kick started from a cold start. That said it's a great bike with modern tyres and braking.
Captain Haddock is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 09:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked all REs models and drove every single one of them.

I felt that I should take the 500 as it's a better all round package than the standard but the sales person says it would be the most inappropriate bike to use in rush hour traffic and that I should select the classic 350.
I have seen this advise from the sales people even at Mumbai. One would think that the dealers ought to be pushing the more expensive models, especially when owner reviews have not suggested anything against the 500 cc models.
Guess, it may be just that the 350 cc models are readily available and would thus result in quicker and completed sales, enabling them to achieve the short term targets.

Anyways, good to see that you stuck to your choice and are happy with it! How have you found the overall riding experience?
Charioteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post
I have seen this advise from the sales people even at Mumbai. One would think that the dealers ought to be pushing the more expensive models, especially when owner reviews have not suggested anything against the 500 cc models.
Guess, it may be just that the 350 cc models are readily available and would thus result in quicker and completed sales, enabling them to achieve the short term targets.

Anyways, good to see that you stuck to your choice and are happy with it! How have you found the overall riding experience?
I am satisfied with the overall performance of the bike. I am really impressed with the following aspects of the bike.

Posture- Upright and comfortable. The bike has a relaxed riding posture, which most bikes sold today does not provide. The fact that it's not as tall as the standard 350 makes it even better especially in rush hour traffic.

Brakes- I am also using the Yamaha RX 100 and always felt that the drum brakes if maintained well could stop the RX in time but when I tried the Standard 350 with drum brakes I was worried about drum brakes doing duty on such a heavy bike. The disk brakes on the 500 are good and stops the bike in a jiffy. ( I am using RX 100 as my other bike, hence my exposure to modern dual disk set up is rather limited)

Engine- The engine feels powerful and can be used on the highway and is refined enough till it's redlined. The fuel consumption is very decent at around 30-35 Km/L. The engine despite being 500 cc is not at all edgy like the sports derived bikes sold today. The 500 cc carb fed engine can effortlessly cruise at around 80 kmph in a relaxed and calm manner and the vibrations are not really that bad.

Kick Starter/ Self start- Self start for convenience and kick start as a last resort in case of battery failure.

Long distance drives- Kochi to Kanyakumari around 300 Km and the bike was really eager on the highway and after the trip I had no back pain

Improvements needed

Paint- Poor quality and easily fades. The green colour which was easily mistaken for black was great for the first 3-4 months but now it has lost a lot of sheen.

Service- The service centres are usually crowded and the service experience is below par.

Last edited by Captain Haddock : 3rd September 2017 at 01:35.
Captain Haddock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 22:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I am satisfied with the overall performance of the bike. I am really impressed with the following aspects of the bike.
Hi Haddock,

So good to hear upon your feedback. I second what you have said. I own the same 500 in Forest Green and it's trouble free so far.

For folks looking in the RE stable, I strongly suggest the Bullet 500.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th September 2017 at 07:42. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:33   #58
BHPian

I have been closely following reviews of all REs with respect to the seating comfort.
Being on the other side of 40 and with wife being a major part of travel plans with the RE, both front and rear seat comfort is important for us.
Now, I have already booked Desert Storm. But, reviews, inputs from friends and a test drive with my wife as the pillion - have all convinced me that while rider's comfort is subjective and can probably be debated, it has been established beyond doubt that rear seat comfort is a big negative for the Classic series.
Now the million dollar question. Is it not "For the sake of the nail, the shoe, the horse, the rider, the battle etc was lost" kind of situation? For the sake of rear seat comfort, can a 500 cc bike be written off? My wife, already prone to back pain, is clear that Thunderbird is the correct choice. My 10 yr old son likes it for the curvy look and gloss!
I though am in love with the Desert Storm shape, color, road presence, rideability, etc. It appears more "masculine" too, for whatever it is supposed to mean!
Can I not modify the seats and retain my choice? Is it really a deal breaker?
(I practically have no daily use lined up for the bike. It is for weekend drives of 100-200 km once a month and a major ride once in a year of 1500-2000 km. And staying in South Mumbai, occasional night visits to Marine Drive for coffee, on the DS, is something that I have been dreaming about for years!!)
Need advice from all here.
Old 13th February 2018, 18:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have been closely following reviews of all REs with respect to the seating comfort.

(I practically have no daily use lined up for the bike. It is for weekend drives of 100-200 km once a month and a major ride once in a year of 1500-2000 km. And staying in South Mumbai, occasional night visits to Marine Drive for coffee, on the DS, is something that I have been dreaming about for years!!)
Sir- I don't think there will be a trouble in modifying the seats as you can get it done outside. Only downside is that you will lose the look of the vehicle and that masculine thought might get lost.

If long drives is what you are looking at, look no further than TB or Electras. Classics are suited predominantly for city rides and leave pillion comfort, your own backbone will start screaming at you during the longish drives.

And by the way on humorous note, who gave you the permission to decide on the bike Your family decides what you drive and hence am sure you will land up in that way!! Cheers and good luck for your vehicle purchase.
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 22:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Being on the other side of 40 and with wife being a major part of travel plans with the RE, both front and rear seat comfort is important for us.
Now, I have already booked Desert Storm. But, reviews, inputs from friends and a test drive with my wife as the pillion - have all convinced me that while rider's comfort is subjective and can probably be debated, it has been established beyond doubt that rear seat comfort is a big negative for the Classic series.
Now the million dollar question. Is it not "For the sake of the nail, the shoe, the horse, the rider, the battle etc was lost" kind of situation? For the sake of rear seat comfort, can a 500 cc bike be written off? My wife, already prone to back pain, is clear that Thunderbird is the correct choice. My 10 yr old son likes it for the curvy look and gloss!
I though am in love with the Desert Storm shape, color, road presence, rideability, etc. It appears more "masculine" too, for whatever it is supposed to mean!
Yes you can sir.

I have the Classic 500, have extensively toured on it, and its pretty easy to maintain too.

The trick was to change the seats and raise the handlebar a bit. I know a lot of people wont suggest this, but I changed the seat and handlebars to my body structure - posture and comfort. To me the looks were secondary, function and enjoyment was the utmost priority. Hence I changed the seats from Perfect Seats Imran (andheri) who is quite famous now. Have been using his seats since my CI 350 days (almost from 2004 onwards). These seats are the best. But if you are more concerned for the look then you always have the option of Rideonair, Airhawk etc air cushion seats readily available and they will retain the look too. Yoga, stretching and exercising helped me in all my long rides.

The classic 500 still cranks easily even after keeping it idle for days together.
All the myths for the Fuel Injection were solved by a lot of people here esp - Arizona Jim, navin_v8, mobike008, JRavi sir to mention a few, who have answered to my annoying pms and phone calls. And I have loved every moment of the UCE 500 Efi.

My only gripe and the biggest one is lack of ABS. After the last major accident I am convinced that all Enfield's are locomotives to drive in respect of braking. No matter how skilled a driver you are, Mumbai and RE have a lot of adventurous surprises waiting for you.

Also as far as the Thunderbird goes, I have come across at least 4 of my friends who have had meter console troubles, but hey its a part of the RE package, the whole experience I mean.

Good or bad, one thing I am sure is that you are bound to enjoy the "Bullet" bug.

Last edited by The Great : 14th February 2018 at 22:43.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks