Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 18:18   #16
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan Toureview

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thanks for the review. Loved it.

Reading it caused a dull ache in my heart but thankfully I still love my old faithful Thunderbird a little too much to let her go.
Thank you! Let's see how long can you resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Excellent. Waiting for the next part of the toureview. I find himalyan to be a really handsome looking bike and it could not be more minimalist and the name, Himalyan is just genius.
Thank you for your encouragement. It is handsome indeed, I think RE has attempted to replicate Honda's Africa theme. Following the same theme, hoping that RE will soon release a Himalayan Twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Excellent writeup. I am waiting for my Himalayan as well. Eagerly waiting for further update on your travels. All the best.
All the best Rohing, Hope you get it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Congratulations for your new found love! The pictures are superb and I really appreciate the honest disclosures in your writing. I myself have done 3 on road and off road test rides and got the opportunity to explore the capabilities and features of the bike. With that experience, I can assure you and anyone thinking of buying the Himalayan that it definitely is what Royal Enfield claims it to be - at least on the plains. I shall eagerly wait for the Ladakh episode of your story since I haven't got a chance to test it at high altitudes, neither have I come across any end user feedback about its performance at high altitudes.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks for encouraging this novice, means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner1591 View Post
I haven't had any problems thus far connecting the ‘toureview' dots. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the Leh tour, I would have a magnificent virtual tour of the Himalayan in the Himalayas. Something that's on my wishlist too, though on a slightly under powered yet immensely adored machine- The Thunderbird 350.
Good luck on this journey. Ride Safe. And the first thing you need to do when you return is log in here and continue the story. Waiting eagerly.
Hope you are able to strike it off from your list soon. And thank you, let's see if the story takes a 'turn'
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 19:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Thank you! Let's see how long can you resist.
Thank you for the follow-up. Just curious did you check out these saddlebags? I came across this one user from another biking portal using this saddlebag and they seem to be a perfect fit without any hindrance. My questions were specifically aimed at at the exhaust part and pillion comfort, surprisngly, both were kept in check, at least from what the user reported.

http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/i...t-exhaust.html

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 05:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Thank you for the follow-up. Just curious did you check out these saddlebags? I came across this one user from another biking portal using this saddlebag and they seem to be a perfect fit without any hindrance. My questions were specifically aimed at at the exhaust part and pillion comfort, surprisngly, both were kept in check, at least from what the user reported.

http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/i...t-exhaust.html

Cheers!
VJ

I did browse through these but didn't consider these bags as they only offer 40l of space against 64l in rynox. Since the size is smaller am guessing that it should have sufficient clearance over the exhaust, pillion comfort should be the same as Rynox.
Old 9th June 2016, 10:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the write up Rajiv, indeed its a departure from the regular ownership threads written on this forum.

All the very best with your trip to Himalayas astride the Himalayan.

Do make a summary of all the add-on/bolt on kits that you have put on the bike.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 22:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Congratulations dear Rajiv. Your narrative of the initial Himalayan experience is spot on and thanks for this unbiased review. Unbiased reviews like this makes our forum trustworthy. Can you please verify the brand of the odometer console? Thunderbird has a pricol console which has many issues and has been discussed about in other threads. Major issue being the erratic fuel gauge.

Wishing you a happy and safe ride. Awaiting your review of the Himalayan from The Himalayas.

Thanks Dr Deepu, I'll get my hands on the bike this weekend and will confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congratulations on the write up Rajiv, indeed its a departure from the regular ownership threads written on this forum.

All the very best with your trip to Himalayas astride the Himalayan.

Do make a summary of all the add-on/bolt on kits that you have put on the bike.

Thanks ku69rd, hope am able to match your quality some day. I read in a different thread that you may be getting your bike soon - congratulations, wishing you a lot of happy miles on your new acquisition. What colour did you chose?

I sure will provide a summary once am back from the trip
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sure will provide a summary once am back from the trip
Cool, Shall wait for your summary when you come back from the trip.
I picked up my bike long time back. Nearly 40 days now...and I have logged close to 3000 kms during this time.

You can find my review here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...now-white.html
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 16:39   #22
BHPian

Thanks for crisp, unbiased and not a fan boy review. Can't wait to read about your Leh trip.

Can you please post the pics of the jerry can and mounts you got from Aliexpress?

-Ijeet
Old 10th June 2016, 23:27   #23
BHPian

How would it feel if your 7 day old bike returns from service with this

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Toureview-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465581067.788565.jpg

An obvious break-in attempt. It doesn't take great observation skills to note that the gap between the brake lever and the windshield is just half an inch (or so) when locked. After the 1st service that gap was gone, I had difficulty locking the bike (left side), at first I assumed it must be some change in the lever setting. For a different and more functional issue with the bike (carb related) I took my bike to a different Service Center, only to realize that the stopper was tempered.

A service Center employee would have known how to remove/ break the lock, this didn't appear to be an act of an updated thief, as he confused the stopper with the obsolete steering lock from 2000s. I feel I paid the price for his education.

I was really upset and vented out at the Service Manager, even though I had no way of proving that it happened at the service center - he wasn't defensive, scanned CCTV tv footages (with no outcomes though), took the vehicle to the workshop and immediately replaced the parts for me.

The practical side of me says that this could have happened anywhere, at least they took care of it. The emotional side is still upset, and this dichotomy continues in my head.

Cold start issues are usually attributed to carb settings, after service, the engine would randomly shut off during first few minutes of riding but would run ok post that. While it wasn't a major issue, it was irritating, hence I decided to visit a nearby/different service center. After a few attempts at carb tuning, they concluded that there's more to it. The service manager at this workshop advised the carb to be immediately replaced. Even before I could ask for a reason, he informed me that they have instructions from the company to replace any parts that appear to be malfunctioning. It was a struggle for the mechanics to remove the carb, but when they did, they found the root cause - water made way to the carburettor through the tank while washing. They didn't need to replace the carb but clean it along with the tank.

Well, that's about the service experience so far

It's 11:30 in the night, and here I am at the safexpress warehouse in some godforsaken place in outskirts of Jammu, waiting for the bike to arrive. I have already lost a buffer day due to shipping delays.

It's not all that bad though, it rained this evening, so it's nice and pleasant, am surrounded by really nice and helpful staff working hard at this wee hour.

As I see them bring my bike out from the truck, Mountain High (Home calling home!) By Bipul Chettry plays on my headphone. This song is apt as I am anxiously waiting to start my journey tomorrow morning
Old 10th June 2016, 23:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Thanks for crisp, unbiased and not a fan boy review. Can't wait to read about your Leh trip.

Can you please post the pics of the jerry can and mounts you got from Aliexpress?

-Ijeet

Hi Ijeet, will share pics as soon as I mount it. Meanwhile here's the link to the product

http://s.aliexpress.com/UzAV3mYZ
Old 12th June 2016, 07:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post

-Ijeet

This is how it looks

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Toureview-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465697486.467999.jpg
Rajiv0909 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 10:49   #26
BHPian

the jerry can looks really good.
is there any lockable mechanism ? Im thinking if anyone can just unscrew the main latch and take aware the whole can ?

I found similar variant (but bigger 20L capacity) with built-in lock in that latch.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...347234625.html
Old 12th June 2016, 11:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
the jerry can looks really good.
is there any lockable mechanism ? Im thinking if anyone can just unscrew the main latch and take aware the whole can ?

I found similar variant (but bigger 20L capacity) with built-in lock in that latch.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...347234625.html

With the service experience I quoted above anything is possible, but no this one doesn't have a lock. It should be easy to lock it with a bicycle lock

I saw that too, 20 ltrs will be too heavy, may cause handling issues when mounted on the sides
Old 12th June 2016, 11:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
With the service experience I quoted above anything is possible, but no this one doesn't have a lock. It should be easy to lock it with a bicycle lock

I saw that too, 20 ltrs will be too heavy, may cause handling issues when mounted on the sides
ya, 20L will be very heavy. I briefly searched but couldnt find - mounting (with lock) mechanism as depicted in that pic.
do share your ride experience with jerry cans filled at both sides.
Old 12th June 2016, 16:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is how it looks

Attachment 1516931
What's on the other side?
you did get two 5L cans for the listed price right?
Old 12th June 2016, 16:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
What's on the other side?

you did get two 5L cans for the listed price right?

Those are sleeping bags. Listed price is for 1 5L can

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks