Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 22:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis

A look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for June 2016. Number courtesy- Autopunditz

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-totalsalesjunechart.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20chart.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20table.jpg

Overall sales shows a slight dip for the 2nd month in a row. While the Top 20 remains consistent, most of the models show a dip in MoM numbers. The Activa consolidates its position at the top of the table. It looks like it has taken over the top spot from the Splendor once and for all. The X Factor would be the new Splendor 110 i-Smart. Next month's numbers will be interesting to see. Honda's Dio and CB Shine sees healthy jump in sales.

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-topgainersnew.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-toplosersnew.jpg

A sudden spurt for the Honda CBR twins. Appears to be a bump in production as opposed to increase in demand. Surprising spurt for the Wego too. On the losers chart, the Hero Passion is the high volume seller with the biggest drop.

Manufacturer Level Sales Trends with Market Share and Trend Charts

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-marketsharepiechart.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manufactrendsmarketsharetable.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manufactop6.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manufacbottom6.jpg

Largely unchanged Manufacturer Charts. Honda has chipped away Hero's lead a little bit. Royal Enfield approaching 50K units in sales.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th July 2016 at 22:43.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 22:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis

Segment level sales based on CC

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-segmentsaleschart.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-segmentsalestable.jpg

As seen from the chart above, the entry segment dominates and kind of decides the overall sales trend for the month. A dip in this segment is typically not compensated by the other segments. The TVS Moped controls the <100cc numbers. There is a proposal to reduce the eligible age to 16 for <100cc Two Wheelers (Related Link). If that works out, we may see a lot more launches in this segment.

Moped vs Motorcycle vs Scooter-Sales Trends

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-m_ctrend_chart.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-m_ctrend_table.jpg

The Splendor drives the motor cycle sales and the Activa drives the Scooter sales. Although both sell roughly the same number at 2L+ units, the Activa's numbers account for more than 50% of the total scooter sales. Amazing brand loyalty.

Model Level Sales with MoM Historical Details

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total1.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total2.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total3.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total4.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total5.jpg

June 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-total6.jpg

Source: Autopunditz

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th July 2016 at 22:39.
Rajeevraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 07:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 26th July 2016, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression that Mahindra has stopped selling all scooters except Gusto, monthly sales figures indicate otherwise.

On generic level, when can a 2-wheeler be termed as market-hit, consistent sales of >30k for commuter, >10k for 150cc+?
Old 26th July 2016, 10:57   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some eye-opening numbers for guys (like me) who don't closely follow the 2-wheeler scene. It's mind-boggling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My goodness, the sheer volume !

Lets round off the ex-showroom price of an Activa at 50k. That's nearly 1200 crore rupees in monthly turnover from a 2-wheeler .

We're always looking at car sales closely and applaud the Alto (India's best selling car). In comparison to the Activa, the Alto's monthly turnover is half that @ Rs. 600 crores 'only' (20,000 units at an average selling price of 3 lakh).

GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 11:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

These figures are mind-boggling! I had some indication of just how huge the two-wheeler market is, when my Activa dealer mentioned that they sold 500 (yep, 500) Activa's a month. One dealer in one city alone sells that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Largely unchanged Manufacturer Charts. Honda has chipped away Hero's lead a little bit. Royal Enfield approaching 50K units in sales.
A quick look at that chart (top 20 two-wheelers) show that the Hero models that top that list are all courtesy Honda! If Hero continues on the path that they are, where the models that they have developed all by themselves are no where close being chart busters, this gap will only reduce with time. Honda is terrific in tending to the market and leading it; they will make it to the top pretty soon!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th July 2016 at 11:11.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 19:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
On generic level, when can a 2-wheeler be termed as market-hit, consistent sales of >30k for commuter, >10k for 150cc+?
My thought is that anything >20K units can be considered a success. Reason is that 20K units will put it in the Top 20. For example Bajaj seems to be very happy with the response to the V which is now selling around 25-30K units per month. The Activa and Splendor are entrenched at the top with 200,000+ units each. The next set in the 50K-100,000 range are also reasonably old models.

I doubt any new product can reach these levels. So 50K to me would be a blockbuster and >20K would be a success.

The biggest credit should go to Royal Enfield. Selling close to 30K units of an expensive bike month after month and sales are continuing to increase.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 09:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for June 2016
Hello Rajeev, thank you for compiling & giving us the numbers month on month. Thanks a lot.

I think there's a minor correction to be done, pls review my suggestion & let me know if I made a slip up. Tks

In the above fig, it says 690 units sold for bikes above 500cc capacity. However when I counted it only adds up to a different number.

Also if you observe the above image, you see Yamaha R3 being categorized in >500 cc segment while its only 321 cc, which is 52 units sold.

So summing all vehicle capacities > 500 cc segment works only to 687 (inclusive of R3) and 635 excluding R3.

Edit - BTW, I observe this to have happened in Mar, Apr & May 2016 as well

PS - And pls don't consider it as pointing fingers, just stating what I've observed that's all

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2016 at 10:34. Reason: Correcting image size
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 10:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Two jaw-dropping facts :

1. Suzuki sells less than Royal Enfield

2. Bajaj sells less than TVS
(maybe due to TVS XL numbers are added)

Sorry for nitpicking but its Mahindra Pantero (not Panturo)
carwatcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 10:53   #10
BHPian

Sales of HD Fatboy (~15L) is far better than Fiat Punto Abarth (~11 Lakh). This clearly shows people are ready to splurge only if you offer something which draws your attention, something which is new. Fiat may think what they can do apart from stickers and alloys to boost their sales. Sorry, this data struck me since I am following Abarth's sales in TBhp since I purchased it and as I ride it, I get surprised why its sales is stuck to single digits in some months.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 11:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

I disagree with your views mate as the aspirational value, status, snob value, are at incomparable levels if you compare HD as a brand with Fiat.
If Ford Mustang with powerful engine doesn't sell then your comparo is valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Sales of HD Fatboy (~15L) is far better than Fiat Punto Abarth (~11 Lakh). This clearly shows people are ready to splurge only if you offer something which draws your attention, something which is new. Fiat may think what they can do apart from stickers and alloys to boost their sales. Sorry, this data struck me since I am following Abarth's sales in TBhp since I purchased it and as I ride it, I get surprised why its sales is stuck to single digits in some months.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I disagree with your views mate as the aspirational value, status, snob value, are at incomparable levels if you compare HD as a brand with Fiat.
If Ford Mustang with powerful engine doesn't sell then your comparo is valid.
Actually, I am trying to categorize the buyer's mentality into two parts: 1. Kitna deti hain? 2. See..I own this. So, instead of "Punto" Abarth, if it was just "Abarth" with some different looks, then sales might have jumped. After the test drive people would appreciate its power, handling, suspension etc. I agree that I am comparing apple with an orange. People who are buying a 2 wheeler worth 15L must have 30-60L worth car in their stable and they would not consider Punto. But, again there has to be a pool of people who can consider the Abarth too...but they are not interested since it does not fall much in either categories as I mentioned above.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think there's a minor correction to be done, pls review my suggestion & let me know if I made a slip up. Tks
Edit - BTW, I observe this to have happened in Mar, Apr & May 2016 as well

PS - And pls don't consider it as pointing fingers, just stating what I've observed that's all
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Let me check up the numbers. Maybe an error somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Sorry for nitpicking but its Mahindra Pantero (not Panturo)
Thanks for the input. Will correct it.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:30   #14
BHPian

Seems DSK Benelli and Hyosung dont share their sales data ?
Old 27th July 2016, 20:45   #15
BHPian

Surprising to see Yamaha R15 selling 4K+ units. Being over priced with less hp and lots of option available across manufactures, this is surprising

Most Viewed