Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 23:07   #16
BHPian

re: Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh

Look, I see this and all i can think is hmm it's a motorcycle version of Reva (which basically it is).

Hence, I don't think it can succeed much after the initial period.

Why ?
Because it's not good at ONE of these things which make a motorcycle awesome : Handling, Power or Range. It's based on an old gen FZ, power is too low, and range is not fit for anything apart from the short trips to college / office.

And the biggest blow : The Cost. Now ask yourself, would you get this over a KTM Duke 200? I think it'll be no because that machine is an extremely good handler, has crazy power delivery and you don't have charge it every other night!

Why would you get this over that? If you're the sedate, silent type, get a damn scooter.

Now what should Tork do?
- Price it under 1 lac. It'll make losses at the beginning but once the product is successful, it can dictate it's own price.

- Be perfect at once of those three things i mentioned above.

All in all, I wish it good luck and hope it becomes the Tesla of motorcycles one day instead of the Reva it is right now.

P. S. I hope people really do buy this motorcycle so that it gets the funds to research and make this product a much better package.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 2nd October 2016 at 23:12.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
A 3.5 Kwh lithium ion battery pack will weight between 30 to 40 kgs. Not something you want to lug around every time you need to recharge.
You've brought up an interesting point quoting the weight.

The Yamaha FZ16s kerb weight is 135kgs and the fuel tank capacity is 12lts. If i do a simplistic calculation then the Tork will weigh--> 135-12+30 + 2(margin of error)= 155kgs which is similar to Pulsar 220F.

Now the P220F produces about 20NM@7000RPM while this one produces 27NM from the word go! That is as much as an Electra with 40kg less weight. Should make for blistering performance then?
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:19   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:18.
ashokrajagopal is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:28   #19
BHPian

Re: Tork T6X Electric Motorcycle launched at Rs 1.25 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

The Yamaha FZ16s kerb weight is 135kgs and the fuel tank capacity is 12lts. If i do a simplistic calculation then the Tork will weigh--> 135-12+30 + 2(margin of error)= 155kgs which is similar to Pulsar 220F.

Now the P220F produces about 20NM@7000RPM while this one produces 27NM from the word go! That is as much as an Electra with 40kg less weight. Should make for blistering performance then?
I don't know how much the Tork weighs but I assume that without the batteries it should be lighter than a pulsar or similar bikes since the electric motor and associated electronics weigh a lot less than an IC engine, transmission, exhaust and associated parts. So my guess would be 100-105 kgs for the bike and another 30-35 odd kgs for the battery pack. Given that all the torque is available at zero rpm, i believe it should be faster than comparable bikes till 40-60 kmph.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Look, I see this and all i can think is hmm it's a motorcycle version of Reva (which basically it is).

Hence, I don't think it can succeed much after the initial period.

Why ?
Because it's not good at ONE of these things which make a motorcycle awesome : Handling, Power or Range. It's based on an old gen FZ, power is too low, and range is not fit for anything apart from the short trips to college / office.

And the biggest blow : The Cost. Now ask yourself, would you get this over a KTM Duke 200? I think it'll be no because that machine is an extremely good handler, has crazy power delivery and you don't have charge it every other night!

Why would you get this over that? If you're the sedate, silent type, get a damn scooter.
The problem with EV detractors is that they think that EVs are a replacement for conventional vehicles. They are not, at least not for the next 10-15 years. Think of it as a niche. I'm not a biker. I have 3 cars in my garage and I never yearned for a bike. Having said that, this bike makes perfect sense for someone like me who stays in a small city, owns an independent house, drives 30-40 kms in a day, sedately and safely (never exceeding city speed limits) and where most of the trips are short trips ranging from 5-15 kms. If I wanted to add a bike to my garage, would I take it over a KTM? Definitely. However if the bike was my primary/sole mode of transport, I wouldn't.

As far as your logic about getting a scooter if one is a sedate driver, it is flawed. I'm a sedate driver, by your logic I should trade my Audi for a Toyota Altis. Just because one owns a powerful car, or a motorbike doesn't mean that one likes to drive pedal to the metal throwing caution to the wind. Just because someone owns a RWD BMW doesn't mean they like to drift/ powerslide on every corner and round about.

As for the cost, I think it's quite affordable, for a niche segment that is. My nephew's gaming PC costs more than that. A 4K TV costs more than that. Good guitars cost more that that. Some SQ ICE installations cost more than that. Bathroom furnishings cost more that that. So yes, this bike will not make a dent in the overall sales of conventional bikes and most people who rely solely on a bike as a primary mode of transport are better off getting a conventional IC bike, but for a niche segment, this is just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by Astleviz : 3rd October 2016 at 13:03.
Astleviz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Interested in knowing the units of electricity consumed during a full charge for the T6X. Just to educate some friends who mentioned that this is too costly!
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
As far as your logic about getting a scooter if one is a sedate driver, it is flawed. I'm a sedate driver, by your logic I should trade my Audi for a Toyota Altis. Just because one owns a powerful car, or a motorbike doesn't mean that one likes to drive pedal to the metal throwing caution to the wind. Just because someone owns a RWD BMW doesn't mean they like to drift/ powerslide on every corner and round about.

As for the cost, I think it's quite affordable, for a niche segment that is. My nephew's gaming PC costs more than that. A 4K TV costs more than that. Good guitars cost more that that. Some SQ ICE installations cost more than that. Bathroom furnishings cost more that that. So yes, this bike will not make a dent in the overall sales of conventional bikes and most people who rely solely on a bike as a primary mode of transport are better off getting a conventional IC bike, but for a niche segment, this is just what the doctor ordered.
What I said was criticism. And criticism is what makes a company improve and become successful. If everyone praises them, they won't feel the need for improvement.

It's a start up, which i hardly think will want to cater to the niche segment as they need money.

And yeah, it's depends from person to person. If you have the money, go ahead buy a tesla, or a G-wagon. I'm no one to stop you. But what i said was specifically for catering to the masses.

Btw , I don't really see Reva everywhere on the road, do you?

Last edited by The Brutailer : 3rd October 2016 at 18:30.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

I don't why everyone keeps mentioning the FZ in terms of weight. This bike has a custom trellis frame. Their first prototype was based on an FZ chasis, but not this one. I've seen the frame while they were building it. The bike weighs 130 kgs including the battery which I think is highly commendable!
torqueunlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 18:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
...it's not good at ONE of these things which make a motorcycle awesome : Handling, Power or Range. It's based on an old gen FZ, power is too low, and range is not fit for anything apart from the short trips to college / office.

And the biggest blow : The Cost. Now ask yourself, would you get this over a KTM Duke 200?
Quote:
First a disclaimer. I know the founder well and am an admirer of the company, so my opinion is not exactly unbiased. Having said that, while Brutailer makes some valid points, a few corrections / contra-views are in order:
  1. This is not the FZ based version - that was a different bike and meant as a tech demonstrator. This is ground up a brand new bike. The bike parts are custom-made for them and supplied by reputed vendors - mostly the same guys who supply to major bike OEs. I understand that the battery cells are from world leading Japanese and Korean brands. The bike has discs brakes front and back, DRLs, Regen Braking, custom trellis frame. Plus digital bells & whistles, including a touch-TFT display, a mobile app and a cloud-connected "OS" that will allow firmware upgrades down the road. The motor is brush-less DC = no wear parts = maintenance free, long-life engine).
  2. A range of 100kms on full charge - is pretty good for a trip to office and back, with a shopping trip or movie thrown in between. At least for most city dwellers. Majority of city dwellers live within about 20 - 35 kms of our workplace. Its definitely not enough for a highway or cross-country trip but pretty good for a city commute.
  3. The Torque is 27NM, available from 1rpm (vs 19.2 NM @ 8K for the Duke-200). The claimed cruising top-speed is around 100 kph. Its NOT a Duke, but hardly in sedate, scooter territory either. The speed is electronically limited to conserve battery-range. But its still the most powerful electrical 2-wheeler in India that I know of.
  4. Now, the 125K price tag. Its close to KTM territory (the Duke 200 is 1.43 lakhs in Mumbai). And the KTM handily beats it on top-speed (136 vs 100 kph) and on range. But so does a Ferrari or Porsche beat the Tesla S on both. However, there is still an audience for each. The T6X price has to be seen in context of the specs as well as estimated net fuel-cost savings of ~Rs. 38K per annum (@ 20,000 km annual usage).*

*AFAIK the T6X takes 4 units for a full charge = ~Rs. 45 per 100 kms @ Bombay's higher-end tariff slabs; vs a Duke's city mileage of 30 kmpl = ~Rs. 235 per 100 kms, not factoring periodic oil changes.

Overall, I'd say that while the T6X may not be a Tesla S equivalent, its at least a Tesla-3 rather than a "Reva".

Last edited by gautam109 : 4th October 2016 at 18:33. Reason: typo
gautam109 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 18:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
and you can stick wires out of your house to wherever the motorcycle is parked
Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Would be difficult taking cables out from my second floor flat in an old society in Mumbai. Why can't the battery be taken out and carried home for charging?
Easiest way is to get an electrician to set up 15 AMP 3-pin plug at your bike parking slot (assuming you have fixed slot). Wiring-wise, for multi-story apartments, I guess one can take a connection from one's ground floor meter room rather than the having to get a wire down from the apartment itself.

Last edited by gautam109 : 4th October 2016 at 19:00. Reason: added reference to Farhad's post
Old 20th October 2017, 14:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
First a disclaimer. I know the founder well and am an admirer of the company, so my opinion is not exactly unbiased. Having said that, while Brutailer makes some valid points, a few corrections / contra-views are in order:
Curious... Haven't heard any news about this for nearly a year now. What happened to this bike? They are having production delays or some other challenges?
Old 30th October 2018, 00:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Curious... Haven't heard any news about this for nearly a year now. What happened to this bike? They are having production delays or some other challenges?
Another year has passed and they don't seem to have anything concrete to show for their efforts -

https://www.motoroids.com/news/what-...cycle-company/
Old 30th October 2018, 08:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

With Ultraviolette having plans of launching next year, I hope these people do this earlier.

With TVS backing, Ultraviolette might be doing it right as far as processes go for bringing a road legal motorcycle. New startups take too much time since they are not well versed with the requirements other than the enthusiasm that they show. Even Ather might suffer due to these reasons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks