Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 15:41   #16
BHPian

Re: TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review

It's the GS for the masses! One of the best sellers from TVS. Thank you @EPMV for such a sweet review of XL.
Sportztourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 17:20   #17
BHPian

Sir!!! You made my day; awesome review with all the details. And a really special bike! Hope I get my hands on one.

Thank you!

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2017 at 09:47. Reason: Formatting
Paleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 19:23   #18
BHPian

That's a sweet review. I think this is the first review of TVS 50 err 100.

Btw did you mention anything about Kitna deti he. :-p

Btw I'm on holidays in my native. I'm enjoying the TVS 50 XL for all those quick trips to the nearby shops. my father still uses and he is 80+.

Last edited by sgmuser : 17th January 2017 at 19:28.
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 19:24   #19
BHPian

Thanks for bring this excellent review on the forum, This reminds me of my old school days where my father had a Hero Majestic with paddle start and it was so much fun that time to roam around the village with that.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2017 at 09:46. Reason: Language
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th January 2017, 19:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
I have no idea on the transmission mechanism, just pulled the specifications from the manual which says "single speed transmission".
Think its still the same centrifugal clutch system that is employed here. Belt driven variomatics (all scooters sold in India) also employ the same as the clutch to engage and dis-engage power to the wheels.

Here's a sample video I found on youtube

Here's another video that clearly shows how power is transmitted to the rear wheels on a CVT scooter, along with a centrifugal clutch

Last edited by vinair : 17th January 2017 at 19:51.
vinair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 20:02   #21
BHPian

I will have seen (almost) everything there is to see, if someone uses this review to make a decision whether to buy the XL 100 or not!
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 23:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

One word-Nostalgia

Awesome, unique review of a unique moped.
I am glad you decided to put up the review instead of letting it be.

TVS champ 50 in red colour was my dream vehicle in school , later was fortunate to own it for two years.

My first love was MOFA, don't know if anyone remembers it anymore(no licence no registration)
ecosport rules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 10:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Super Review. This review not only got me back to my childhood memories, but also tempting me to purchase one now. I am somehow trying to control the temptation !!

For me, this vehicle was like an uncle(Father's brother) for most children. Mostly every child gets closer to their uncles than parents and catches them for all things that they need. Uncles too are too fond of their brother/sister's children and get them what ever they want even though parents deny.

Like wise, this TVS XL (My Grandfather's moped) , for me, has given me everything that I wanted during my childhood. Whenever, I wanted to roam around away from house, my uncle used to take me out on this super bike, in spite of my parents saying NO(Probably because He was learning the ride !! )

I have learnt moped driving, learnt how to repair tire puncture, clean spark plugs, and other minor mechanic work to certain extent from this vehicle. Also, there are times when I opened the parts assuming, i could repair and put them back but, got stuck. My uncle had to intervene to get them back to shape and sometimes, it required mechanics intervention too!

All these memories flashed when I saw this red TVS and still tempting me to purchase. No surprise, if I too write another review in few months on the same vehicle !! Thanks for a wonderful review
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 11:48   #24
BHPian

Oh boy, what have you done. Took me (like many others) back to school days. My TVS XT was my pride. And what a work horse. If you promise not to reveal it to the police, let me tell you, I used to carry 5 friends and a fully loaded cricket kit for our weekend matches. The moped moved without a fuss, ok moved with some effort, but once moving nothing stopping that
New.Novice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 13:16   #25
MHG
BHPian

Lovely review! How is the performance when going up steep inclines? I have seen the previous 70cc 2-stroke variants available for rent in Hampi that really struggle to climb even simple gradients. Also, what is the fuel economy you're getting?

Going technical, can someone explain why the front brakes are smaller than the rear? Is it due to the typical loading characteristics? Also, how does its gearbox work? This seems to have a top-speed of 60. Is the torque so flat that one gear is enough all the way from 0 to 60? That would explain why the engine develops such a tiny amount of power and torque - it was perhaps tuned for accommodating a fixed-speed transmission.

Offtopic: I wish TVS releases a variant with a more powerful engine, a proper gearbox (say from the Max 4R) and better brakes but retaining the step-through design. That would make it a lot more touring friendly, where you could permanently attach a huge (say 1 meter high) luggage box with a door on the back seat.

Last edited by MHG : 18th January 2017 at 13:24.
MHG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 13:26   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome writeup. Made my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Its time for the pictures:
Left side mirror
Right side mirror
In my opinion, these are still much better designed that most bikes and superbikes mirrors.
On most bikes, the mirrors are tapered off towards the outer end, reducing the visibility (the only exception that comes to my mind is the Z800's mirrors, which are tapered inwards).
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Super Review. This review not only got me back to my childhood memories, .................
....All these memories flashed when I saw this red TVS and still tempting me to purchase. .... !! Thanks for a wonderful review
True that.

Nostalgia kicked in while reading the review. Only 2 of our friends had access to two wheeler s back then (+2) and were revered. One was a Bajaj Sunny and the other a TVS 50. The Sunny had its odometer cable bitten by a rat and we called the sunny the "Eli-m(in)eter" . ( Eli- rat in malayalam).

Then there was The TVS 50. This once crossed 50 while there were 3 of us on it. The speedometer got stuck at that position. This scared the wits out of us, since our parents would find out the speed we were doing, and ended up tilting and banging until the speedo was back at Zero.

This performance earned TVS 50 the name "The Ducati 390".

So, Power to the "Ducati", and thanks for a refreshing review.
vijayrajthampi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Nice review EPMV. Thanks for sharing. If your Fascino review was unique, this is even more so . Always nice to read reviews of products that rarely get reviewed anywhere. I am sure TVS will be very happy.
Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Btw did you mention anything about Kitna deti he.
I think it will be anything above 45. As I didn't used the vehicle for more than 200km, I couldn't get a mileage calculation. Based on the 1 litre filled by dealer and another 200rs petrol from my side, it is coming around 40+. I will update the clear mileage figure after next home town visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
TVS champ 50 in red colour was my dream vehicle..
Actually you reminded me of my nostalgic memories.

My father was a proud owner of that strong TVS Champ Red. I always admired that lovely work horse in my childhood days. I can relate the strong and heavy build quality with FIAT Palio and Punto in terms of four wheelers (may be that's why I'm running behind fiat car). After some years, its stolen by someone (I hope someone admired that beauty like me). Thanks for the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
I used to carry 5 friends and a fully loaded cricket kit for our weekend matches.
Yeah, that is the loading capability it had in our childhood. I even remember the advertisement with 20+ army people riding on it. Not sure about the build quality of current gen version, lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Lovely review! How is the performance when going up steep inclines? ..
Going technical, can someone explain why the front brakes are smaller than the rear? Is it due to the typical loading characteristics?
All I can test in the initial 200km is below 40 kmph only. I couldn't get much inclines to test the power of that engine. For the brakes, i do feel the same, its should be based on the loading characteristics. As we have more load on back wheel and more power needed for stopping back wheel, it got bigger drums. Experts please enlighten us.
EPMV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 09:59   #29
BHPian

NIce review, This looks like 100CC bike in the guise of moped. I am seeing telescopic front/rear suspension rods, a sturdy frame etc.A good evolution of a practical need,not necessarily elegant.
Old 19th January 2017, 14:22   #30
BHPian

Is it the only tvs moped version in production now? What was the total damage to the pocket? Any registration hassles?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks