Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 10:50   #16
BHPian

re: TVS Apache 200 vs Bajaj Dominar vs Enfield Himalayan

Personally I feel it pretty much boils down to your usage. Apache has enough punch to make it very quick in city traffic and can even double up as a sportz tourer if required. I have owned one in the past and its extremely agile for city usage.

If you are looking for long drives mostly, then I feel the dominar makes more sense. On the open highways, extra power surely helps. You get almost double the power and torque figures than the apache for around 50% additional cost. The dominar is still way heavier than the apache (guess around 40kgs more or so) though that doesn't bog it down too much in terms of performance.

I would not really suggest the himalayan for reasons mentioned above by others.

FZ25 is similar to the apache in terms of numbers but then the riding position is slightly better and this could be something you should look at since you mentioned you are taller.

In a nutshell -

Majority city driving - Apache/FZ25
Majority touring - Dominar

I would strongly suggest you take a test drive and see which one is the smoothest to drive over majority of the RPM range or the RPMs at which you generally settle down because some bikes do send out vibrations (apache used to but as per friends the 200 doesn't at all) and that can be irritating on long drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Since you are planning for long rides, I would suggest anything with ABS. Currently, only Dominar is equipped with ABS from your shortlisted bikes.
He is speaking of the Apache 200 which is very much equipped with a dual channel ABS. Infact, IIRC, TVS was the first in the two wheeler industry to introduce ABS for bikes in its 180RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
While considering FZ25 over other products do keep in mind that bike many not be as good at corners as Dominar or Apache, haven't seen anyone in the reviews taking corners at good lean-angle, I might be wrong though.
Can assure you about this on the apache. Extremely comfortable taking corners even with a pillion and hugs the road like its own child. Cummon, its designed to have race tracks dynamics and it wouldn't even make sense if it cant take corners.

Last edited by centaur : 6th April 2017 at 10:58.
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 14:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache 200 vs Bajaj Dominar vs Enfield Himalayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
He is speaking of the Apache 200 which is very much equipped with a dual channel ABS. Infact, IIRC, TVS was the first in the two wheeler industry to introduce ABS for bikes in its 180RTR
AFAIK, the ABS version of RTR200 is not yet available in the market despite being 'officially launched' in 2016.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 16:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
While considering FZ25 over other products do keep in mind that bike many not be as good at corners as Dominar or Apache, haven't seen anyone in the reviews taking corners at good lean-angle, I might be wrong though.

Does handling matter for touring, a definite yes! If you plan for places with very rough roads it many not matter much, but roads are better these days with decent corners, so do choose good handling machine.

Advance wishes for your next ride buddy
Yes I too did not see the FZ leaning around the corners that well compared to the Dominar or the Apache. Out of these two, I fell the apache takes on the curves better.

And Thanks

I was talking to my friends with Bajaj Vehicles, and they mentioned about the piston head boring. Is it true that most Bajaj vehicles are prone to this?

And also which is better for touring, an under-squared/squared/over-squared engine? in terms of heating, power delivery after riding for long hours... etc.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th April 2017 at 17:04. Reason: No back to back posts please. Take your time to think through and then post at one go. Use the edit button to add within the first half hour. Back to back posts merged.
Old 6th April 2017, 19:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas95 View Post
And also which is better for touring, an under-squared/squared/over-squared engine? in terms of heating, power delivery after riding for long hours... etc.
  • Under-Squared/Long Stroke Engines
    Pros
    -Loads of torque at low rpm's. Lesser gear shifts required. Suited for relaxed riders.
    -Can do high-speeds at lesser rpm and thus little/no stress on the engine.
    -Lesser heat generated.
    Cons
    -Not the best when it comes 0-100kmph/0-60kmph figures, but the in-gear(same gear) roll-on 40-100kmph/40-80kmph figures are great.
    Ex: Royal Enfields
  • Over-Squared/Short-Stroke Engines
    Pros
    -Great performance, can revv to the moon, where the actual powerband lies.
    -Better 0-100kmph/0-60kmph timings.
    - Fun to ride.
    Cons
    -Very little torque available at low rpm's.
    -Constant riding at higher rpm's generates heat, can cause stress to the engine in the long term.
    Ex: Duke 200
  • Squared Engines
    -Mix of both worlds, but not necessarily the best of both worlds.
    Ex: Hero Karizma, Unicorn etc.

Google for Bore/Stroke ratio for more information.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 6th April 2017 at 19:29.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 19:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

No one sees FZ cornering, that implies it doesn't corner well...really?

Would have been really good, if guys commented prior to having some saddle time and then decide if it is good or not.

I had the CBR 250R and couldn't corner as I wanted to, but few of my friends could do all sort of things. What does that imply? Sure it is no R15 but, there is limitation from rider as well.
Ride & then comment & then be judgemental (for oneself)
Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 20:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
No one sees FZ cornering, that implies it doesn't corner well...really?
=====
Ride & then comment & then be judgemental (for oneself)
Thanks
I did not mean it that way, all I meant was all these videos that Autocar/overdrive or any other automobile review videos, don't really show the leaning of the bike in the curves. Not saying that it is a point to be judged, but, just saying, that it was not tried by these guys. Sorry if it came out in an unexpected manner.
Shreyas95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 10:03   #22
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a similar set of requirements a few months back and ended up with the Himalayan.
Most people here have bashed the bike left right and center based on 'reports', not sure how many actually own one.
Nevertheless, I will give you my account. I use it for my daily commute to office which included at least 70% off road till last month. The bike is really nimble and can cut through traffic as well as sharp bends in trails. The 2nd gear is very usable for this, the ride quality is plain awesome. I moved over from an electra while buying this.

Yes, RE has certain flaws, but am sure you must already know it, that none of the other bikes that you have listed will age as beautifully and still be usable few years down the line. This thing will keep chugging along and I believe there are thousands of examples.

For touring purposes, I think the power is adequate for our road conditions, she accelerates in a linear fashion and you can happily cruise at 80-90kmph all day without straining any part of your body. The previous grouse with RE was the vibrations on the handlebar after you cross a certain speed, leaving your hands numb after 100km of riding. This is totally absent and it makes it a joy.
To add to the touring part, since this bike was designed for this purpose you can easily modify/carry your luggage along, the other bikes would not look as good or perform as well, after piling all the stuff. And further the bike is stable at those speeds and road undulations, sudden depressions, unevenness is handled without any drama.
You will feel the heat though in b2b traffic, but it dissipates as soon as you build up some speed.
And lastly, it does draw attention from fellow motorists, wherever you go.

Cheers and happy shopping!

Last edited by Trojan : 7th April 2017 at 10:21.
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks