Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Selling my Enfield Classic 500 - What next?

Hey guys,

I am in a moto-quandary here.

After serving me well for about 5 years, I am selling my RE CL500. Now the question is what should I buy next?

Due to work related commitments, I have now transitioned from a passionate tourer to a city commuter. But I do love my occasional weekend rides. Oh, and I love ADV bikes.

- I ride 32 kms (to and fro) everyday 5 days a week to work. Commute is mostly on 4-6 lane wide roads

- Short weekend rides (<300 kms) every other week

- Not really concerned about fuel efficiency

- Really concerned about a hassle-free maintenance experience

- Budget is <2 lakhs

- Buying a KTM 390 Adv (whenever it comes out), so this this bike would be to fill the void for an year or so. Might sell it, might keep it along with 390 Adv. Haven't decided.

So based on that I had shortlisted Himalayan, FZ25, Dominar 400 ABS.

Himalayan: Heart says hell yeah, but mind says no. I've read way too many horror stories to really go for it. But this is really my kinda bike.

FZ25: Read some reviews and the bike seems great and offers a hassle free experience. But I am not sure if this would be my kinda bike. Plus, read that there are some annoying headlamp issues.

Dominar: Looks good, has a lot of power, and ABS. I was sold, but then I am not sure how well it would fair as mostly a city commuting bike. Plus, there is only 1 Bajaj dealer in the city, and absolutely refuses to give a test ride for more than 1 km. That's my biggest turn-off for this bike.

Except for the Himalayan, I haven't taken a test ride of any other bike.

So, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 13:12   #2
BHPian

re: Selling my Enfield Classic 500 - What next?

Coming from the RE CL 500 you will not like the way Himalayan delivers power. Although its a great bike but in my opinion it did not fit my requirement since I also own the Classic 500.

From the above 3, I would have chosen the FZ 25 if it had the ABS, but since it doesn't the option is closed. Same is the case with MOJO (decent bike - no ABS). Lets hope the Fazer 250 does have the ABS option.

Dominar is a good choice, easy on the pocket. ABS does make it attractive with the engine and power specs, its a decent all round bike esp for your kind of requirement.

Although if ABS is not on your list, then this should come down to Mojo vs Dominar.

I am waiting for the BMW G310 to come and will decide then.

Last edited by The Great : 27th June 2017 at 13:17.
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get an used earliest model (2013 KTM 390). Will come to around 1L and give or take another 10-15K for upkeeping for 2 years.

Any bike after RE will feel better specially on the type of road you will be riding it but the raw 390 from 2013 can be wacked like no other bike and you will have maximum fun,.

But if you are hell bent on new bike, get the Dominor with ABS.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, search for used N650 which are pretty much hitting the 3L bracket and you also get a highly reliable super bike that will wack all the sub 3L segment bikes due to better displacement and better bike.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 15:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Coming from the RE CL 500 you will not like the way Himalayan delivers power...
When the Himalayan was launched, I took a long 25 km test ride and found the bike to be quite good. It's punchy, though not as much as the CL500. I had even booked it, but later withdrew. Now after reading the horror stories, my mind is saying no to it.

Now, coming to the FZ250. ABS would be nice to have, but I can live without it. But coming from the CL500, I am not sure how much I would like it. Plus, there's that annoying headlamp issue that a lot of buyers have pointed out.

The Dominar ABS checks all the boxes, but I am really turned-off by the attitude of the dealer. Since there is only one in my city, I have no choice but to buy from this guy. Because if the sales is so atrocious, I don't know how bad the service would be.

Now comes the Mojo. I am not drawn to it at all. That's why it's not even in my list. Why spend more than the Dominar ABS and get a bike which is less powerful and doesn't have ABS? Though the dealer is located right below my workplace, I am still not inclined to even take a test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Get an used earliest model (2013 KTM 390). Will come to around 1L and give or take another 10-15K for upkeeping for 2 years.....
A used 390 is a great idea, but I am unable to find one in my city.

I've ridden my friend's N650 extensively, and man what fun it is. But given the amount of attention it draws, and the fact that in Chandigarh it's a pain to even get this bike serviced, is why I am not going to consider it. And, the fact that for even a small part my friend has to wait a month or source it from Delhi or some place else.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 15:36   #5
BHPian

You are missing few very good names - Duke 250 2017 version. Its light weight and has ample of power to keep you entertained. And its on par with your budget.

Another bike that really stands out is the Dominar - you get powerful engine, ABS and LED with looks that could kill. Its VFM and you will enjoy city riding with Dominar as Bajaj has taken care of the heating issues very well with their design skills.

You can also look at pre-owned Honda CBR 250 with ABS. I have used it for touring and its perfect. The seat is firm but does not hurt during long distance runs. I did Mumbai Bangalore on CBR 250 ABS in 14 hrs. That's 960 KMS. I know a person who does and breaks records on his CBR like there is no other way.
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:05   #6
BHPian

Duke 250, a used Duke 390 - both bikes are lightweight and perfect for the city. I've used the CBR 250ABS in Bangalore's city traffic and it's a hoot to ride. Have used it for long rides too and no aches and pains.
Currently on a Thunderbird 500 until next week when i'll get my 2017 Duke 390.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Hey guys,

I am in a moto-quandary here.

After serving me well for about 5 years, I am selling my RE CL500. Now the question is what should I buy next?
My Sincere thoughts due to experiences(Rather Bad experiences :()
Selection of bike mainly depends on the age, health condition and kind of seating position one needs.(Of course, power and other factors follow, but, if you are not comfortable sitting for long duration, any amount of power, cornering ability, trouble free ride etc wont make you happy.)

So, please specify what kind of seating position you need. Are you ok with crouch seating position(Read Forward Lean position as in Pulsar, CBR 250 etc), OR Do you prefer Upright Seating position (As in Enfield or Unicorn)

Based on this requirement, you can eliminate one set of bikes and start shortlisting based on other parameters

Last edited by gkveda : 27th June 2017 at 16:57.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
You are missing few very good names - Duke 250 2017 version. Its light weight and has ample of power to keep you entertained. And its on par with your budget...
I'll have to stretch my budget slightly for Duke 250. But given that the main aim here is to fill the void left by my CL500 for an year or so till 390 ADV gets launched, the Duke 250 doesn't appeal to me.

I'm open to purchasing a pre-owned bike like the CBR or Duke 390, but given the relatively small size of my city, I can't find anything good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Duke 250, a used Duke 390 - both bikes are lightweight and perfect for the city. I've used the CBR 250ABS in Bangalore's city traffic and it's a hoot to ride...
As I mentioned somewhere else, can't find a pre-owned 390 in my city. And if there was no news of the 390 ADV, I would've bought the 2017 Duke 390 in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
My Sincere thoughts due to experiences(Rather Bad experiences :()
Selection of bike mainly depends on the age, health condition and kind of seating position one needs....
Not really a big fan of the crouching seating position, that's why all bikes shortlisted have (almost) upright seating.
Old 27th June 2017, 20:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Based on the last few responses, just mindlessly go and book the dominor. Its the best bike sub 2L. (Period).

Its like 90% of 390 at 65% of 390's cost. Cant go wrong with the maintenance and spares. But if you can push the envelop why miss the 390. Its just 90K more to an extent
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 22:59   #10
BHPian

Being someone who's planning on getting his hands on a RE Classic 500, here's my cents on your query-

1) Dominar 400- Many here have already suggested it to you and I'll do the same. A perfect entry level Tourer-Sport best suited for urban riding as well as occasional weekend sprints. Go for the ABS variant

2) Mahindra Mojo- A little expensive than the others but a great Tourer with more than adequate performance on tap. Premium tag too!

3) Ninja 250- Not the most popular choice in today's times ( read outdated compared to the current market) but still a head turner, no non sense fun bike. Not a Tourer albeit!

4) Duke 390- Comfort and sitting position of a Tourer and performance of a Sports bike. A perfect blend of both. The most popular ones among all the above.
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 06:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just as others have suggested, look into the Dominar That said, if you really are taken by the Himalayan, do note that while it has issues, Royal Enfield does seem to be doing things about it. Just today my friend told me that the engine on his Himalayan seized, but the company is replacing it under warranty. I know it still sounds scary to have to encounter such poor quality control but I guess it depends on how optimistically you look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
3) Ninja 250- Not the most popular choice in today's times ( read outdated compared to the current market) but still a head turner, no non sense fun bike. Not a Tourer albeit!
Honestly, I feel the Ninja250 is definitely a tourer. Sport tourer might be more precise. The ergonomics are fairly relaxed just put you in a slight lean which is infact quite appreciable when you have to stand on the footpegs to avoid stuff on uncharted territory, the wheelbase is really long sacrificing 'sporty' quick turn in and agility for mid-corner and straight-line stability, engine is extremely refined and fairly relaxed and is very efficiently cooled, even the suspension is quite soft and the tank is large giving you a lot of range.

Quote:
4) Duke 390- Comfort and sitting position of a Tourer and performance of a Sports bike. A perfect blend of both. The most popular ones among all the above.
I don't think the Duke is a good touring machine at all. The 390 heats up way too much unless you flout the legal speed limits, rims are super light weight and prone to bending/cracking if one hits an unexpected bump of pothole, the metzelers get chewed up too easily, and there are several other limiting factors which thankfully the new model has rectified like the lack of leg room, tiny tank, maniacal power delivery etc. but I still feel overall it is best at tearing up city streets.

I suppose it all depends on one's definition of a touring machine. Whether it is strictly just how upright you sit, or whether there are other factors as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 09:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Based on the last few responses, just mindlessly go and book the dominor. Its the best bike sub 2L. (Period).

Its like 90% of 390 at 65% of 390's cost. Cant go wrong with the maintenance and spares. But if you can push the envelop why miss the 390. Its just 90K more to an extent
That's what I've been thinking. But the dealer experience was BAD, so I don't even know what the service experience would be like. That's why I am slightly hesitant.

Quote:
Being someone who's planning on getting his hands on a RE Classic 500, here's my cents on your query-
As I mentioned somewhere above, Duke 390 is out because I want to buy the 390 ADV whenever it comes out. Mojo is out because after the Dominar, it doesn't feel VFM. Ninja 250 is out of my budget and doesn't really appeal to me. That leaves me with the Dominar and I am thinking about FZ25 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Just as others have suggested, look into the Dominar That said, if you really are taken by the Himalayan, do note that while it has issues, Royal Enfield does seem to be doing things about it....
Himalayan really appeals to me, but I really don't want to buy another RE. I've had a 350 CI (which was a pain) and then got the CL500 (which has been absolutely niggle free). Plus, the horror stories

Someone here suggested that I look for a used Honda CBR 250. I found a couple of them, 2012-13 models with super low mileage (7k-10k kms). All of them are going for around 75-85k. So I had a few questions

- Does it make sense to buy a used CBR 250?

- What about service and parts? Hasn't the bike been discontinued?

Also, yesterday I checked out the FZ25. I like it and it looks like a no nonsense sort of a bike. Something that I am actually looking for. Couldn't test ride it though.

So now the confusion has increased further.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its like 90% of 390 at 65% of 390's cost.
If you're speaking in terms of dynamic ability and performance, then there's simply no way the Dominar offers 90% of what a KTM 390 does. That is such a surreal statement. Don't get too swayed by the 400 badge and the fact that the motor is based on the KTM unit. In terms of agility, poise, precision, power delivery, feedback and responsiveness, the Dominar is at the most 65% of a KTM 390 at precisely 65% of the cost. Since the 390 is already such a well priced machine and since 65% of a 390 also makes for quite a fun bike, the Dominar is certainly a VFM product but let's not get too imaginative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Someone here suggested that I look for a used Honda CBR 250. I found a couple of them, 2012-13 models with super low mileage (7k-10k kms). All of them are going for around 75-85k. So I had a few questions

- Does it make sense to buy a used CBR 250?

- What about service and parts? Hasn't the bike been discontinued?

Also, yesterday I checked out the FZ25. I like it and it looks like a no nonsense sort of a bike. Something that I am actually looking for. Couldn't test ride it though.

So now the confusion has increased further.
The CBR250 is definitely a good bike but you need to ride it to see if you like it. There are a lot of folks who think the CBR250 is too 'sporty' depends on how much you value an upright riding stance.

If you are open to the idea of used motorcycles, why not seriously spend some time looking for an Inazuma? Sellers might demand very high sums of money for it, but don't be fooled by the mundane looks and specs on paper and think that it isn't worth it. Trust me when I say that nothing compares to it in terms of sheer long distance touring ability. The bike is extremely stable in a straight line as well as through corners, the suspension soaks in bumps with finesse that is simply unheard of in bikes under 6 lakhs as a result the ride quality is just sublime and unparalleled, the motor is very refined, very relaxed at high speeds and very capable at low revs, the gearbox is slick, build quality is top notch and honestly I could go on and on praising the bike but you simply need to ride it to understand how good it is. I own an RC390 and unlike most, since it is my first bike, I am very used to the aggressive riding stance, heating etc and don't at all mind riding it for long periods of time. I switch bikes with buddies if they really want to, but I really don't wish to ride anything else no matter how much more comfy or refined it is, than my RC390 because I feel that its sheer dynamic ability trumps whatever comfort is there to be offered by most other bikes. However after riding the Inazuma once, I have to say, that was the first and only bike I ever lusted after. The first time I really dreamt of owning a bike with an upright non-sporty stance, the first bike that was down on power in comparison to my bike but still gave me so much pleasure to ride. It was just a revolutionary experience for me as a die-hard fan of powerful supersport kind of bikes, to actually lust after such a comfort-oriented machine like the Inazuma, I simply cannot explain it in words. It was the first time such a bike actually appealed to me, not only did I understand its existence but I also desperately wanted one for myself. Do please check it out if you ever have the chance. I hear service offered is also very good.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th June 2017 at 10:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 10:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Selling my Enfield Classic 500 - What next?

I'd have thought that a Harley-Davidson would be the spiritual upgrade to an Enfield 500. Wouldn't the Street 750 make sense? Am already seeing some at asking prices of 3 lakhs in the used market.

Sorry if this isn't what you are looking for, but the pre-worshipped fan in me couldn't resist from replying.

Here are the pros & cons from N_Aditya's review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
What you'll like:

• A good looking 749cc Harley at an attainable price point
• Fast & smooth engine. Oodles of torque throughout the revv range
• Competent handling & road behaviour
• Comfortable riding position with sound ergonomics
• Lots of options to customize the bike (paint schemes, bigger seat, exhaust muffler & more)
• Robust build & adequate ground clearance for Indian road conditions

What you won't:

• Brakes lacking in bite & feedback. ABS is sorely missed
• Harley-Davidson's classic Potato-Potato engine sound is absent
• Rough edges (exposed wiring, cheap switchgear etc.) have no place on a 4+ lakh motorcycle
• Smooth gearbox, but it can protest against upshifts
• Wide handlebar, big turning radius & 222 kilo weight in crowded urban conditions
• Niceties missing (fuel gauge, DTE, tachometer, headlight pass switch, adjustable levers, kickstand warning)

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 11:05   #15
BHPian

Re: Selling my Enfield Classic 500 - What next?

Quote:
Get an used earliest model (2013 KTM 390).
I went this route. First booked a Himalayan, then after not only reading the horror stories here but also seeing them first hand with most of my friends' Himalayans, I cancelled the booking.

Bought a used '14 Duke 390 and couldn't be happier. Thought of booking the 2017 390, but decided not to since I'd be going abroad for a while in a few months and didn't want to leave a brand new expensive bike lying about unused.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks