Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 15:28   #1
BHPian

DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja

When the passion of owning a sbk turned out into reality, happiness had no boundaries. After 5 months of owning the Ninja 650 I can surely say, you grab a lot of attention with these bikes, but then these bikes too need our attention. Maintenance is surely a costly affair, but once you grab the throttle, you almost forget every bit of stress resting on your shoulders. I would rather say it's like a throttle therapy with added flavours of open scenic highways and ghats.

So, like my earlier fender mod and frame slider DIY, this time I again I went for another DIY mod job on my N650. Not every sportsbike / superbike comes with a main stand. Well I never missed the main stand except when I was thoroughly cleaning the bike or when on a road trip. It almost looked like a circus where I had to walk behind the bike when someone pushed the bike just to lubricate the chain. I checked online and with friends for options and saw many remedies. While many recommended a paddock stand when you are on a road trip this is not a feasible option to carry. So had to search for some other compact and easily carry-able solutions. My search led to a portable one sided foldable stand and a wheel roller stand. Both the options were very functional and compact to carry.

Foldable One Sided Stand:
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-1.jpg
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-2.jpg

Wheel Roller Stand:
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-3.jpg
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-4.jpg

Checked the prices online and I was like Recently, I was recovering from a costliest tyre change for my N650 and looking at the price of these stands the engineer inside me craved for a DIY.

After checking out a lot of options of how to build such stands for my ninja, zeroed in for the one sided foldable stand. This was a just one day business for me and everything was made from scrap lying around my home. The only cost I payed was to the welder.

To make use of this stand I had to install spools on the swing arm. Without wasting any more time searched headed towards a friend's automotive garage and got hold of variable length steel spacers which can take the abuse while installing and removing the stand. Sorry I do not have the pics of the sleeves as I was too excited to mount them on the bike.

DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-16.jpg
Swing arm spool mounted
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-17.jpg
It's protruding length from the swing arm

To start the process of cutting and fabricating the stand first I made measurements on the bike as to how much lift I wanted and what is the height of the spools when the bike is parked on its side stand.

DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-5.jpg
Measuring the height

I selected a quarter inch square tube for the stand which was laying around for sometime in my home. For the total length of the stand unfolded I divided the total length in half and added two more inches. This would be my base stand to hinge the spool claw. Same thumb rule applied for the length of the spool claw square tube.

DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-6.jpg
Square tubes selected
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-9.jpg
How it will look

Also I had to weld one bracket on the top to arrest the 360 degree movement of the swing arm spool claw.
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-12.jpg

After everything was assembled and fabricated I checked the working of the stand. Needed some filing work to the spool claw as it did not fit perfectly on the spools. Once everything was in place painted it black and left it overnight to dry.
Final pictures of the stand:
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-13.jpg
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-14.jpg
Got a lift of around 2 inches
DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-15.jpg
Folded back for easy handling

Last edited by sujay bhandare : 27th September 2017 at 16:03.
sujay bhandare is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 07:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2017 at 09:54. Reason: motorcycle
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
Checked the prices online and I was like
DIY is good, no doubt, on both fronts be it the workmanship or the effort to get it done.

Motojack isn't that expensive either - https://www.amazon.in/BlueBurns-MJ1-.../dp/B01MDN5J81
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 09:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Motojack isn't that expensive either
Yea, I had checked this, one of friend has it for his KTM, but sadly it did not fit my N650 due to the profiled tube swing arm. The ones that were fitting were expensive upwards 3K. So decided to make one myself and I needed one urgently as next month I am going on a road trip
sujay bhandare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 10:04   #5
BHPian

Re: DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja

Good DIY, thanks for sharing.

I am not a DIY person so I am using Quick lift jack by a Bangalore firm, Superb Auto for my Dominar. Working good for now.

https://www.amazon.in/Superb-Auto-Sp...12f953e6298d11

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 13:16   #6
BHPian

Fantastic DIY job, can surely help saving quite some bucks! I am also on a hunt for a stand for my Dominar 400, and all the options that I have searched till date are costing much on the pocket!This option looks feasible, and calls for a try! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Shekhar2509 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 14:37   #7
BHPian

Came across this interesting video on YouTube while researching for paddock stand alternatives! Have a look

Cheers!
Shekhar2509 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 18:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Good DIY, thanks for sharing.

I am not a DIY person so I am using Quick lift jack by a Bangalore firm, Superb Auto for my Dominar. Working good for now.

KK
Is that a screw in between the two end rods? Interesting design. Even the cup type arrangement for swing arm resting is nice.
Thanks for sharing this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar2509 View Post
Came across this interesting video on YouTube while researching for paddock stand alternatives! Have a look
This is a typical jugad and I actually had thought of a similar lift mechanism but by using a smaller hydraulic jack.

Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th September 2017 at 19:08. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 28th September 2017, 19:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
Is that a screw in between the two end rods? Interesting design. Even the cup type arrangement for swing arm resting is nice.
Thanks for sharing this .
Its not a screw, it's used to rotate and lift as a car jack. Here you go

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 19:42   #10
BHPian

Simple yet so effective. Thanks for sharing this simple DIY trick. This would be staying at home mostly or would you be carrying it along on your long trips ?
If yes have you considered enlarging the base surface area on softer surfaces.
Maybe a metal squarish or rectangular plate welded to a small hinge which in turn is welded to the lower 2 parallael rods.

DIY: Spools & Chain lube stand for my Ninja-15f490395f164be1947d667578b6b194.jpeg

Last edited by ARAY : 28th September 2017 at 19:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks