Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 15:55   #46
BHPian

Re: The Drama of buying & owning a Royal Enfield Bullet 350ES (Electra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Whether Classic/Electra help?. I need a comfortable bike.
Your best bets are Electra, STD350 or the STD500. CL350/500 are a big NO if you have lower back issues.

I'm just under 6ft and I find the Electra to be really comfortable. I would suggest you test ride the above bikes and you will feel the difference.
Old 28th December 2017, 09:42   #47
BHPian

Quick Update: 2nd free service was done on 27-12-2017 at 1700kms. Works done include oil top-up, oil filter and suction filter replacement, o-rings changed, chain cleaning and lube and water wash. Total cost: Rs. 644/- inclusive of all taxes.

The bike is so far complaint free except the odd false neutral downshifting from 2 to 1 and I hope it remains so.

One of the major criticisms against REs are it's poor brakes but IMHO the disc/drum combo is decent. Had a couple of dicey situations in the last week, first one when a few pedestrians waiting to cross the road decided to make a run for it and then stopped halfway and the second one was a Baleno decided to make a sudden right turn and he too decided to come to a complete stop. I had about 75feet of distance at about 65kmph in both cases. The front brake did it's job without much drama. Just a little bit of tire squeal but the bike held it's straight line. That's all for now.

Last edited by green_ninja : 28th December 2017 at 09:43.
green_ninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 21:36   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I read through this thread with much nervousness. I am on the verge of getting my own Magic Black Electra delivered tomorrow. It's not regret, just plain fear. Let me explain.

I have found that the Electra's riding posture and gas-filled rear shocks suit me best, of all affordable motorcycles in India. I'm 34, stand 6'4" tall and my decade-old Unicorn makes me realize I actually have a tailbone when riding over bad roads. Driving a car daily to work seems impractical here in Chennai traffic and I do 40 Km a day.

My nervousness stems from RE's reputation and its products' track record. I really wish some other company would make similar motorcycles with proper quality standards.

I will stay glued to your thread, kind sir. I am notorious for not knowing anything about fixing cars or motorcycles by myself. It feels like I signed up to ride on a bucking bronco, knowing fully well that this was my best bet for motorcycling!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 09:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I read through this thread with much nervousness. I am on the verge of getting my own Magic Black Electra delivered tomorrow. It's not regret, just plain fear. Let me explain.

I have found that the Electra's riding posture and gas-filled rear shocks suit me best, of all affordable motorcycles in India. I'm 34, stand 6'4" tall and my decade-old Unicorn makes me realize I actually have a tailbone when riding over bad roads. Driving a car daily to work seems impractical here in Chennai traffic and I do 40 Km a day.

My nervousness stems from RE's reputation and its products' track record. I really wish some other company would make similar motorcycles with proper quality standards.

I will stay glued to your thread, kind sir. I am notorious for not knowing anything about fixing cars or motorcycles by myself. It feels like I signed up to ride on a bucking bronco, knowing fully well that this was my best bet for motorcycling!
Welcome back home and a big congrats on your purchase of the Electra. While a lot of folks here would tend to disagree with me, I strongly believe that you made the right decision and purchased the best product that is out there for your intended use. I saw your post on the back pain thread and while any riding is bad for your back the Electra will certainly be much kinder than anything else out there.

RE QnR is an oxymoron but that also depends on the operator to a certain extent. Proper running-in and good riding habits will keep you a happy customer for a long time. One of the things I learned from TBHP is to idle the engine for a few minutes in the morning and I follow this religiously. I had some confusion in the beginning as to how long. I noticed the amp meter needle vibrates a lot the first time you start the bike but then stabilizes as soon as the engine warms up. This is my cue that the bike is ready to go. I don't rev too hard. This motor is not built to be revved hard and if you try to keep up with the crotch rockets on the road then you bought the wrong bike.

Cheers again and happy riding. Post some pictures and a ownership review if possible. What accessories did you get?
green_ninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 18:23   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the tips and encouragement green_ninja!

I took delivery last Friday and have ridden it for ~100 Km so far. The real grueling tests begin with the office commutes from tomorrow.

The only accessories so far include a monstrous 3-barred crash guard and a custom-made petrol tank cover from the local tailor.

I will remember to warm up the engine in the mornings. About revving-up; this bike behaves differently from its typical commuter Japanese cousins. I find myself upshifting early through the gears (as recommended during the running-in period) and the innate torque just keeps pulling us ahead. Am I doing it right?

I have noticed the bike struggling to slot in the right gear thrice so far despite attempts on my part. Will point this out in the first service.

Also, the rear shock absorbers seem quite hard and unyielding. I can feel major potholes right in my back. I am sure this is not how it should be. The Electra that I test-drove was way softer on the road. Can this be rectified in the first free service?
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips and encouragement green_ninja!

I took delivery last Friday and have ridden it for ~100 Km so far. The real grueling tests begin with the office commutes from tomorrow.

The only accessories so far include a monstrous 3-barred crash guard and a custom-made petrol tank cover from the local tailor.

I will remember to warm up the engine in the mornings. About revving-up; this bike behaves differently from its typical commuter Japanese cousins. I find myself upshifting early through the gears (as recommended during the running-in period) and the innate torque just keeps pulling us ahead. Am I doing it right?

I have noticed the bike struggling to slot in the right gear thrice so far despite attempts on my part. Will point this out in the first service.

Also, the rear shock absorbers seem quite hard and unyielding. I can feel major potholes right in my back. I am sure this is not how it should be. The Electra that I test-drove was way softer on the road. Can this be rectified in the first free service?

You are welcome my friend! You are doing fine with the early upshifting. There is no other choice if you want to follow the recommended running-in speeds.

Slotting problems are typical with the RE gearbox and I would call it a manufacturing defect only it wasn't there Most folks I talked to say that the gear box gets smoother with time and I feel the same. I also think you get used to it and you slowly find a sweet spot for the gears to slot in smoothly. I don't think you need to do anything during first service.

The rear shocks are 5 step adjustable. If you feel too stiff then you can adjust to a softer setting during first service. Mine came set at 3 and it works perfectly for me.
green_ninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:57   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I also wondered - aren't the rear view mirrors too small? I miss the wide mirrors on my Unicorn. Without an awareness of what's going on behind me, I feel kind of helpless. Did you happen to choose any wider aftermarket mirrors?
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I also wondered - aren't the rear view mirrors too small? I miss the wide mirrors on my Unicorn. Without an awareness of what's going on behind me, I feel kind of helpless. Did you happen to choose any wider aftermarket mirrors?
Yes. The field of view on these RVMs is a bit smaller than others. I had to push them a bit forward and adjust them so I could get a good view. But keep in mind that I'm a skinny guy and I fit the gap between the two mirrors nicely. The experience may not be the same for someone a little heavier and/or broader.

Try loosening the lock nut and pushing the stem slightly ahead of the handlebar. You can then adjust the mirrors for a wider field of view. If this doesn't work, you might have to invest in a pair of aftermarket mirrors. I like the bar end mirrors but they may not look as good on the Electra as the Classic.
green_ninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 14:29   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

So, i took my old Unicorn to office for a day just to remind myself why I invested in the Electra. Initially, the Unicorn with its refinement and peppiness (despite being 10 years old) made me regret getting the Electra. But by the time I reached office, I knew why I needed the Electra

My back does indeed hurt right in the bones when I ride the Unicorn, whereas it's not so with the Electra. It must have something to do with the natural riding posture that comes with these motorcycles.
Old 10th January 2018, 15:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
So, i took my old Unicorn to office for a day just to remind myself why I invested in the Electra. Initially, the Unicorn with its refinement and peppiness (despite being 10 years old) made me regret getting the Electra. But by the time I reached office, I knew why I needed the Electra

My back does indeed hurt right in the bones when I ride the Unicorn, whereas it's not so with the Electra. It must have something to do with the natural riding posture that comes with these motorcycles.
Good to know that the Electra serves the purpose it was intended for and is kind to your back. Happy Bulleting!!!

Quick Update: Reached the 2000km mark yesterday. No issues so far. My average usage is about 30-40km in stop and go traffic and I've been getting about 35kmpl after the second service. The ODO is at 2050km now.

Got the bike a couple of accessories as a graduation gift for completing the running-in period.

Thigh Pads for the tank - Rs. 490/-
Handlebar Grip Cover - Rs. 70/-
Silencer Rubber for the silencer tip - Rs. 45/-

Some pictures of the accessories. Excuse the fly in the last picture. Never noticed it till I downloaded the pictures onto my computer
Attached Thumbnails
The Drama of buying & owning a Royal Enfield Bullet 350ES (Electra)-img_2203.jpg  

The Drama of buying & owning a Royal Enfield Bullet 350ES (Electra)-img_2204.jpg  

The Drama of buying & owning a Royal Enfield Bullet 350ES (Electra)-img_2205.jpg  

The Drama of buying & owning a Royal Enfield Bullet 350ES (Electra)-img_2206.jpg  

green_ninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:51   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the milestone and the accessories!

I reached 410 Km and suddenly the engine oil dipped to a very low level. Have booked the first service for Saturday (even though it's not due for another 90 Km) and am not riding it till then. Any idea if this happens normally?
Old 12th January 2018, 22:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

locusjag

Assuming you saw oil in the oil sight guage before now, unless your Royal Enfield suddenly began blowing huge clouds of smoke out of the exhaust or is leaving large pools of oil on the ground after being parked for some time there is little likelihood of the oil level being low.

Often, people unfamiliar with the procedure for checking the oil level on a RE will park their motorcycle using the side stand. Then, they will look at the oil level sight window and be shocked when they see no oil showing.
This can also happen if the engine has been turned off and the side stand was used for just a moment before the motorcycle was placed on the center stand.

I suggest that you follow the accepted method of checking the oil level before you do anything else.

To check the oil level, park your motorcycle on a level area using the center stand.
With the transmission in neutral, start the engine and let it run for a few moments.
Turn the engine off and without moving anything, let it sit for a few minutes.
Now, check the oil sight window.

If you see the oil level 1 or 2mm above the bottom of the window or higher, the motorcycle is safe to ride.

This procedure is needed because the oil sight window is located on the extreme right side of the engine case.
If the engine (motorcycle) is tipped to the left the oil runs out of the right engine case leaving the oil sight window empty.
Restarting the engine and allowing it to run while the motorcycle is resting on the center stand allows the oil pump to redistribute the oil throughout the engine so an accurate reading will show in the sight window.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 21:37   #58
BHPian

Any one tried this?
https://www.tripmachinecompany.com/p...her-grip-rolls
I am planning to buy one for my standard bullet.
Old 21st January 2018, 19:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
Any one tried this?
https://www.tripmachinecompany.com/p...her-grip-rolls
I am planning to buy one for my standard bullet.
I've never tried it but Rs. 950/- for a pair of grip covers, that is essentially a strip of leather, that has to be attached with 3M double sided tape is crazy

You could probably go to a seat upholstering place and get waste leather strips for free and buy 3M tape and DIY for under 100 bucks. Better yet, find a good tennis racket grip!!!

Last edited by green_ninja : 21st January 2018 at 19:02.
green_ninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 13:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey green_ninja,

How's it going with your Electra?

I am continuing to commute to office on it and my daily coverage spans 36 Km. I discovered that sitting too close to the petrol tank in an upright position makes my upper thighs feel sore and the back takes a bit of a beating. So I sit on the hump meant for the rear passenger and lean forward a little...and everything's great.

I get 40 Kmpl consistently now (1050 Km done; first-service was done as scheduled at 500 Km and 20 days) and my only modification till now is that the rearview mirrors of the Thunderbird are now planted on my Bike. I wanted a wider field of vision...still struggling to view anything on the mirrors though, as they vibrate quite a bit

My only tip to you (tried and tested, but based off of a YouTube Vlogger's tip) is to press the clutch and gently kick the start-lever twice or thrice in the morning before you warm her up. The gearbox behaves a helluva lot better this way, as this ritual apparently gets the oil flowing to it.

Lastly, my TUV 300 purchase looms large over the horizon; I'll be alternating daily usage of the Electra and the TUV when I get the tall-boy delivered. But once I start getting stuck in traffic enough in the car day in and day out...who knows?! I might prefer the Electra finally.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks