Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 01:59   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

The reason it has got rear disc brakes is because it uses a Hub motor, so no physical place for drum brakes. Most of the chinese EV scooters have rear disc brakes and like most EV scooters sold in India are rebadged chinese scooter which at best are assembled in India.

Those who think drum brakes in scooter is enough, well then need to ride scooters with disc brakes, it makes a world of difference in stopping power.

Last edited by aim120 : 21st December 2017 at 02:05.
aim120 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 08:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Okinawa Praise e-scooter to be launched in December 2017. Edit: Launched at Rs. 59,889

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The reason it has got rear disc brakes is because it uses a Hub motor, so no physical place for drum brakes. Most of the chinese EV scooters have rear disc brakes and like most EV scooters sold in India are rebadged chinese scooter which at best are assembled in India.

Those who think drum brakes in scooter is enough, well then need to ride scooters with disc brakes, it makes a world of difference in stopping power.
Agree to this. When I rode the Hero Electric bike, I still found the disc brakes inadequate. The torque in the bike was so strong, I'm guessing disc brakes on front and rear will be the way to go.

I personally would have liked this to have regenerative braking though. Will mean lesser charge cycles.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 11:28   #18
BHPian

Removable batteries, as an idea, is great but these batteries could be heavy and carry them around let's say, with your laptop bag etc could get tricky.
Ideally charging points in your office parking etc would be a good solution.
But if these electro-scoots are comfortable for city use, I would buy one any day
Old 21st December 2017, 12:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Regarding detachable batteries, do give a thought to lugging one across. Especially in apt buildings. It is quite difficult to carry one decent size invertor battery even on those rare occasions. Wonder what would this battery weigh ..
The article on Times Of India mentions: The 9kg battery can be charged while fitted in the scooter as well as separately. And it takes just 45 minutes to store 80% of the energy.
Old 21st December 2017, 13:00   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
The article on Times Of India mentions: The 9kg battery can be charged while fitted in the scooter as well as separately. And it takes just 45 minutes to store 80% of the energy.
Confused ! Was my question even related to time required to charge it ? Or is this a general comment ?
Old 21st December 2017, 13:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Confused ! Was my question even related to time required to charge it ? Or is this a general comment ?
Confused, isn't this your comment?

"Regarding detachable batteries, do give a thought to lugging one across. Especially in apt buildings. It is quite difficult to carry one decent size invertor battery even on those rare occasions."

I thought you were talking about the weight since you mentioned "lugging one across".
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok .. so 9 kg. My comment was more about the im-practicality of detaching the battery each time it needs a charge. 9 kg is not as heavy as the SUV batteries. but still not something I would want to do on a regular basis.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:42   #23
BHPian

"I would like them to offer a warranty on the battery & motor of 5 years"

For the motor, yes, because it is a completely sealed unit requiring very little maintenance and capable of withstanding all types of driving styles.

For the battery....difficult. Battery life depends a lot on how deeply you discharge it before re-charging. If you repeatedly do a "deep discharge", i.e. drain the battery almost fully before re-charging, the battery will last less cycles than if you only moderately discharge it (up to 60% or so) before re-charging. There is also the issue of ambient temperature, hugely varied across India, which affects battery life.

Manufacturers will be reluctant to provide across-the-board guarantee for all users for as long as 5 years.
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post

"I would like them to offer a warranty on the battery & motor of 5 years"

For the motor, yes, because it is a completely sealed unit requiring very little maintenance and capable of withstanding all types of driving styles.

For the battery....difficult. Battery life depends a lot on how deeply you discharge it before re-charging. If you repeatedly do a "deep discharge", i.e. drain the battery almost fully before re-charging, the battery will last less cycles than if you only moderately discharge it (up to 60% or so) before re-charging. There is also the issue of ambient temperature, hugely varied across India, which affects battery life.

Manufacturers will be reluctant to provide across-the-board guarantee for all users for as long as 5 years.
Battery replacement cost is where the economics of Petrol ICE scooters beats these EVs. So someone needs to take this head on of they want to have any significant share of the market
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post

What you say is true for the Lead based batteries because of its self discharge rates. Even if the manufacturer implements a higher safety cutoff limit for discharge, if the batteries are not recharged immediately, the batteries will continue self discharging to a point where the batteries are permanently degraded. This type of degradation is beyond the control of manufacturers and hence it is difficult for them to guarantee your battery life.

For Lithium Ion, the self discharge rates are very low and once a safety cut off is initiated after a full discharge, the battery can stay at that charge level for a few months. Hence such degradation of batteries can be controlled to a large extent by the manufacturer. Secondly, good quality Li batteries can last a minimum of 500 cycles. Higher quality batteries can withstand a few thousand charge-discharge cycles and almost all Li battery packs will have a Charge cycle counters built in to its controllers. Even your cheap laptop battery pack has that counter and the manufacturer can easily verify the no of charge cycles the battery has gone through. So it is easy for the manufacturers to provide a warranty for x no of discharge cycles. Even if they provide 300 cycles warranty, that is good enough for 45000 KMs (150KM per charge x 300)
If the manufacturer is not ready to guarantee their batteries for x no of cycles, then the quality of the Li batteries used is in question.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Praise seems to be a very nice and viable package not only as a two wheeler but also as an electric vehicle in general. I wonder what the guys at Ather Energy and Tork are faffing about so much that they still havent released their vehicles that announced a couple of years ago and still seem to be 6 months from launch. Both websites makes it look like they are spending more time on the interface than anything else. They should just have KISS (Kept It Simple Silly) for their first products
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 13:54   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The Praise seems to be a very nice and viable package not only as a two wheeler but also as an electric vehicle in general. I wonder what the guys at Ather Energy and Tork are faffing about so much that they still havent released their vehicles that announced a couple of years ago and still seem to be 6 months from launch. Both websites makes it look like they are spending more time on the interface than anything else. They should just have KISS (Kept It Simple Silly) for their first products
I don't know about Tork but for Ather Energy scooter, they have designed the scooter from ground up. So they have to get everything right, balance and overall dynamics of the vehicle, strength of the chassis and all other parts needs to be tested and most important of all they also need to build a manufacturing plant.

Where as Okinawa and other similar companies, one only just need a 1/2 socket tool set and screwdriver set to assemble them in India, since they are nothing but re-badged Chinese scooters with slight visual modifications.
Old 27th December 2017, 11:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I don't know about Tork but for Ather Energy scooter, they have designed the scooter from ground up. So they have to get everything right, balance and overall dynamics of the vehicle, strength of the chassis and all other parts needs to be tested and most important of all they also need to build a manufacturing plant.

Where as Okinawa and other similar companies, one only just need a 1/2 socket tool set and screwdriver set to assemble them in India, since they are nothing but re-badged Chinese scooters with slight visual modifications.
Adding to your point, just read this news on Autocar. Where they found out that this is out and out Chinese product. Nothing wrong with being a Chinese import but they shouldn't position the product as it was developed completely in-house.

Link-
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne..._medium=Social
Now

Link to the original manufacturer's Luyaan website - http://www.luyuan.cn/index.php/product/info/38.html
musclecar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 15:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Adding to your point, just read this news on Autocar. Where they found out that this is out and out Chinese product. Nothing wrong with being a Chinese import but they shouldn't position the product as it was developed completely in-house.

Link-
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne..._medium=Social
Now

Link to the original manufacturer's Luyaan website - http://www.luyuan.cn/index.php/product/info/38.html
This looks like a total rip-off!Okinawa better have a convincing explanation (which I doubt they will have). They need to be honest if they have re-badged a Chinese product, as all Chinese products are not low-quality offerings. If they have used a good source from China, no harm in saying so!

I bet this news is going to put a lot of prospective buyers in a quandary!
AdiSolEn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 16:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post

I bet this news is going to put a lot of prospective buyers in a quandary!
You bet. I was open to checking out this whenever it was available, but now I doubt it. Not because of Chinese roots but due to the Manufacturers misleading the customers if the news is true.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks