Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 12:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Geared commuter bike under Rs 70,000?

A motorcycle is a very personal thing. I don't think it's appropriate for anybody to suggest models to the kid's dad as it will limit the option for that kid. Kids love R15s, CBR, KTM and not Honda Shine or the CT100 which one can get new at this budget.

I would suggest leaving the option to the kid. He can get a used motorcycle suited to current trends across youths and not some go to models of yesteryear generations. Besides he will learn a thing or two about used market, motorcycle specs, and the most important- How to haggle?

Last edited by Ajay_the_Don : 4th December 2017 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 14:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Economy is important because kid is not earning yet and recurring expense will have to be borne by my friend.
Your friend should also note to get a bike his son won't replace as soon as he starts earning in the next 4 years. So a stretch of around 10k to get a more future proof bike like Apache/Gixxer would not be a bad bet in the long run.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno;

Honda Shine is another option - seems to be selling well. I rode one today morning - seems OK, but could do with a 5th gear I felt.
Shine SP is the five gear version. Ex-showroom price at Chennai for the top variant (front disc and CBS) comes around ₹67k.
knightrider_7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

What is the kid's age?

If 18-22, I would suggest not to go beyond 125 cc. Seen too many youngsters meeting severe accidents due to the "Young Blood". Let this guy ease into the biking world by learning the basics on a bike like the Shine or Splendor.

If your friend is someone who like to keep his bikes for long, then any bike he buys will anyways be upgraded by his son as soon as he starts earning. He can consider a used bike as well, which will save atleast 30-40K.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:37   #20
BANNED

For 70k or around that figure you can get;

1. Hero Glamour(Horizontal Block);

Pros:

Churns out peak torque at 4k RPM which puts the Bull's to shame, upto 80kmph feels like a ZMA when it comes to comfort, refinement and real world performance, often referred to by enthusiasts as a locomotive or the Bolero of motorcycles, fetches a decent resale.

Cons:

Too many fibers, after sales service and spare availability is not half decent compared to Bajaj.

2. Honda Shine;

Pros:

Very aggressive engine, with a lightweight and skilled rider can even give the CBR250R a run for its money(ask any xBhpian from Kerala, they'll collaborate with my statement), from all counts a better motorcycle than the Unicorn considering performance and price, also would fetch a good resale.

Cons:

Things can get a bit buzzy up top, after sales and spare availability is pathetic in comparison to Hero.

3. Bajaj Pulsar 135LS;

Pros:

Better on all counts considering competitors both on paper as well as on road, best after sales support and spare availability.

Cons:

Pathetic resale value, very low brand image among public due to being a purely indigenous brand.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
^^^Yes, the Honda Unicorn was my recommendation when he first asked me, but was above the budget. I think he should consider this one too.

What is the Unicorn's city FE ?
Sold my unicorn few months back after a 10 years ownership which lasted close 1.30 Lakh kilometres, the fuel economy for me hovered between 55 to 58 in city through out.

Whatever the bike your friend decides, my suggestion is to go for one which is equipped with a disc brake. A disc brake makes lot of sense in our un-predictable roads and is a must have.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 4th December 2017 at 17:22. Reason: corrected typo
Abhi_abarth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 18:19   #22
BANNED

Guys considering Honda Unicorn, please take a look at the Hero Achiever, last time I checked it was cheaper than the Unicorn and is practically the same motorcycle(bore x stroke: 57.3 x 57.8 mm) if not better.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 21:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don
A motorcycle is a very personal thing. I don't think it's appropriate for anybody to suggest models to the kid's dad as it will limit the option for that kid. Kids love R15s, CBR, KTM and not Honda Shine or the CT100 which one can get new at this budget.
Even without our suggestions, R15/CBR/KTMs are ruled out & not in the reckoning by the Dad. So our suggestions would only help him zoom into the best option meeting his needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul
Your friend should also note to get a bike his son won't replace as soon as he starts earning in the next 4 years. So a stretch of around 10k to get a more future proof bike like Apache/Gixxer would not be a bad bet in the long run.
I agree & suggested so. Lets see how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7
Shine SP is the five gear version. Ex-showroom price at Chennai for the top variant (front disc and CBS) comes around ₹67k.
Seems like finally we will end up with this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm
What is the kid's age? If 18-22, I would suggest not to go beyond 125 cc. Seen too many youngsters meeting severe accidents due to the "Young Blood". Let this guy ease into the biking world by learning the basics on a bike like the Shine or Splendor.
The kid is 19yrs old, but from what I have seen of him, quite mature for his age. But yeah, this is the time when adrenalin is pumping like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm
He can consider a used bike as well, which will save atleast 30-40K.
This is also in consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas
Honda Shine
Pros:
Very aggressive engine, with a lightweight and skilled rider can even give the CBR250R a run for its money (ask any xBhpian from Kerala, they'll collaborate with my statement), from all counts a better motorcycle than the Unicorn considering performance and price, also would fetch a good resale.
Having a CBR250R myself, wasnt very happy reading that.

And that's saying a lot about the bike if it is better than the bigger Unicorn, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth
Sold my unicorn few months back after a 10 years ownership which lasted close 1.30 Lakh kilometres, the fuel economy for me hovered between 55 to 58 in city through out.
Thats nice FE for a 150cc bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas
Guys considering Honda Unicorn, please take a look at the Hero Achiever, last time I checked it was cheaper than the Unicorn and is practically the same motorcycle(bore x stroke: 57.3 x 57.8 mm) if not better.
Another contender to the list. Thanks.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like finally we will end up with this bike.
Seems like you have zeroed in on the 125cc segment. The following options are available to you.

1. Hero Super Splendour
2. Yamaha Saluto
3. Bajaj Discover 125
4. Honda CB Shine
5. Honda CB Shine SP
6. Hero Glamour
7. Bajaj V12

Out of the above 7, the Discover, V12 and the Shine SP come with 5 speed transmissions. Mileage will be similar with all except the splendour being more economical obviously. Wrt pricing, all motorcycles are within 2-3k of each other, barring the splendour and discover which are cheaper than the rest.

According to me, the two best options are the Honda CB Shine SP and the Bajaj V12. Here's a detailed comparison to make things easier.

1. Looks : This is a matter of perspective, but the Bajaj V12 looks very, very different to all the competition, especially with its muscular fuel tank and surprisingly bassy exhaust note for a 125cc.The Honda Shine SP is better looking than the standard Shine, but in typical Honda fashion, is inoffensive to the eye, understated and doesn't scream look at me. It also sounds like the world's angriest sewing machine when you wring the throttle!

The V12 will turn eyes and ears on the road and that for a 19 year old is half the battle won!

The fit and finish levels on the Honda are better than the V12, although not by very much. The Honda also gets a modern instrument cluster with analogue speedometer and a digital readout for a trip meter, fuel gauge and odometer. The V12 has an ancient all analogue setup.

2. Performance/Handling: Both use the same formula for the powertrain – a 124cc single-cylinder, air-cooled engine mated to a five-speed transmission. Peak power and torque​ are very close too. However I will give the performance edge to the Honda due to its 4kg weight advantage and the weird riding position (I ride a Gixxer) of the V12 which splays the legs out. Refinement levels are better on the Honda, however both bikes will feel stressed after 75 kmph. Mileage will be too close to call. Maybe some owners can clarify.

As for the ride quality, the V12 is more stiffly sprung than the CB Shine SP. While the slow speed ride feels bumpy, the V12 offers better insulation from the shocks as the speed increases. However, the light weight, quicker steering, narrow profile tyres and the riding ergonomics make the CB Shine SP a fun motorcycle to commute on. The smaller turning radius means that getting into tight parking spots is also easier.

The V12 and Shine SP both offer front disc brakes on their higher variants. The V12's brakes feel rubbery and when compared to the CBS equipped Honda, especially in inexperienced hands, the Shine SP emerges as the clear winner.

Reliability will be higher with the Honda. (the Japanese are unbeatable here)

The V12 wins in head turning ability, but the Honda wins in every other parameter. My vote too is for the Honda.

Hope this helps.
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Hope this helps.
It does. It does. 👍

Thanks for the detailed comparison between the 2 main contenders in the 125cc segment. Given the data you provided, if I were the buyer looking for a 125cc, it would easily be the ShineSP. Because I hate the Bajaj-V's looks. And with cars/bikes, I prefer Japanese.

I think my friend doesn't hate the V's looks, so that should also be a contender.

Thanks again !!!
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It is the same engine, with a different tune for achiever. I was going to buy this achiever because of its peak torque at lower rpm compared to unicorn. I went to the dealer's site, booked a test ride, and the call came after three good weeks. I had already booked my next vehicle by then.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 11:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

An update : My friend picked up a pre-worshipped Suzuki Gixxer - 2015, run just 20K kms in good condition for 50K. My friend thinks 45K would've been an ideal price, but was OK paying 5K more given the low usage, good condition & the fact that the seller is a bike enthusiast with few other bikes too - R15, RX100 etc.

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. I am not looking for a bike anytime soon, but if at all I am, then this thread has a wealth of information on various bikes, their pros & cons.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Need suggestions for a bike - 125 CC

Hello,

I am planning to buy a bike > 125CC for daily use. Here are my requirements,

1) Comfortable, shouldn't cause back pain.
2) Mileage - Looking for good mileage (55-60KMPL)
3) Good seating for pillion rider.

I tried Glamour/Passion X Pro. Any suggestions on TVS Victor/Star City?

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 00:14   #29
BANNED

Re: Need suggestions for a bike - 125 CC

Hi! First, let me clear some concerns;

1. Every motorcycle is comfortable to use, back pain is a result of pre-existing medical conditions or improper use or both.

2. Fuel efficiency is subjective, depends on the state of tune, riding conditions and rider experience, hence why you have some quarter liters returning over 50 kmpl whereas you have some 100cc's struggling to get the same.

3. More or less the same on all motorcycles in the class you've mentioned, with the only minor difference being in the case of the Bajaj Platina Comfortec which offers comfort-focused footpegs for the pillion which is a first considering that on the rest of the motorcycles the pillion just ends up resting his/her foot on the exhaust and saree-guard.

Now in the interest of providing suggestions better than what Google could offer, please answer the following queries;

1. What is the intended use(km's per annum and terrain of use) of the motorcycle?

2. Do social perceptions(specifications on paper, status quo etc.) matter?

3. What are you leaning more towards, form or function(Don't think about saying "In the middle" cause there's nothing as such to begin with)?
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:52   #30
BHPian

Re: Need suggestions for a bike - 125 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hi! First, let me clear some concerns;

1. What is the intended use(km's per annum and terrain of use) of the motorcycle?

2. Do social perceptions(specifications on paper, status quo etc.) matter?

3. What are you leaning more towards, form or function(Don't think about saying "In the middle" cause there's nothing as such to begin with)?
Thanks for your response.

1) Usage - Fully in Bangalore traffic around 15-20kms per day.
2) Nope
3) Learning towards Function.

-Arun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks