Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X, 500X in India

I guess these would be a good option for those who like alloys on their Royal Enfields. Better to have em come for the factory than aftermarket.

Still I do feel like its far too little. Alloys and fancy colours do not draw me towards the product. Maybe its time to redesign the whole Thunderbird.

They should be working on changing the dynamics of the whole thing. I'm guessing they'll be gettin there soon enough.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 09:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
T-bird 500 X at nearly 2 Lakhs???

That's too much especially when the 250 Duke and Dominar 400 are available
Dominar/Duke have been around for a while in the same cost vicinity , and will not matter to the typical RE buyer.
I am bothered about lack of a pillion grab handle, seat back. 8k seems to be a reasonable premium considering the improved seat, handlebars, alloys and tubeless tyres.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 09:34   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
T-bird 500 X at nearly 2 Lakhs???

That's too much especially when the 250 Duke and Dominar 400 are available
Price Difference of the X is just 8k more than earlier versions. Not bad value for a Royal Enfield.

Duke and Dominar are both from a parallel universe, even if at the same price point. So it doesn't really matter to them. 500 range is anyways a niche point for RE as well, with the 350s being their bread and butter!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 10:04   #34
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India

Looks like someone from Hero joined RE. I had massive respect for Royal Enfield. Since 2010, that has gone down the drain. They are just coming out with all sorts of junk with a prestigious brand like that and destroying their own image while riding on a tidal wave of success. I never understood the purpose of a Thunderbird, this makes it worse.
Old 1st March 2018, 10:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

The only good point about the new release, is the presence of tubeless tires. Makes sense to have it coming from the manufacturers.

I am considering this release as a project rather than a product.

RE better concentrate to have their staff and technicians well trained and apt to handle all their releases so far. Makes more sense to me.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 11:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If only they can improve the quality with each newer variant.
+1 to that.

They should start investing more in improving their QC than come up with the new launches like paint schemes or stickered varients.

I would also love to see something like a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster from their range.
Old 1st March 2018, 22:29   #37
BHPian

Yesterday, my buddy attended the launch event held at a dealership. A big thanks to him for sharing these pictures!

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-1-2.jpg
Looks beautiful! Resembles a Triumph or Harley from some angles

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-2.jpg
Alloy wheels. Who knew that a formal looking bike would end up looking so young and catchy?
Also, it has tubeless tires now.

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-1.jpg
The tank colour matches the rim trims and seat stitching. Also notice the single piece seat. the pillion seat isn’t really that spacious; a pillion would definitely feel cramped.

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-4.jpg
The rear looks gorgeous!

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-5.jpg
This time, It gets a better handlebar (shorter handlebar)

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-6.jpg
The blacked out headlamp housing.

Royal Enfield launches Thunderbird 350X & 500X in India-7.jpg
The blacked out engine casing and exhaust. Also notice the 350X badge.

XXXX

Although this bike is a good option for those who want a custom bike, but shy away due to the additional costs and headaches involved in getting it customised according to their needs, but to me it feels like Royal Enfield is running out of ideas and has hence resorted to introducing new paint schemes on their existing models -the Despatch edition, Redditch edition, The Himalayan Sleet and now The Thunderbird X.

Many motorcycle models sold in India are outdated and must really need to be replaced with newer models. But instead, manufacturers just give them a new sticker job or a paint job along with a few other minor cosmetic enhancements and continue selling them. Let’s consider the popular Hero Splendour as an example. Can you recount on how many sticker jobs it has received ever since its launch in 1994?

Why introduce an all new model while the existing ones are making the cash registers ring, isn’t it? Sad to see that Royal Enfield is doing the same...

Regards,
LoneTraveller

Last edited by LoneTraveller : 1st March 2018 at 22:33.
LoneTraveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

I feel RE is doing a great job on providing the consumer with variety. I don't think any other manufacturer provides this much choice and I believe at good value. Most times you buy the bike and look elsewhere for customization including the paint schemes. The fact that you're getting factory provided parta means that you are covered under warranty and will have a superb finish.

These bikes do require additional care. I've seen far too many desert storms and other matt finish bikes that are in pity condition just 6 months of ownership.

Most buyers pick the RE for the look of it than the sound, but not many manage to keep it in the same condition. Once the bike starts building dirt and grime, the owner usually tends to abuse or neglect the bike and use it roughly citing bad quality.
Gordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

It would have been good if they had launched these bikes with ABS or at least offered it as an option for those prepared to pay extra.

The position of the handlebar will create an awkward riding position, I feel the handle should be tilted further towards the rider to be comfortable.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I feel RE is doing a great job on providing the consumer with variety. I don't think any other manufacturer provides this much choice and I believe at good value...

Choice as in different colors? Because apart from new colors I dont see any significant updates.
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Choice as in different colors? Because apart from new colors I dont see any significant updates.
Well you can say that for the Classics. Apart from the color of the chassis and tank and sometimes in case of the seats, there is nothing much different. Don't see why there should be either. The sales speak for themselves, most people like it the way it is.

In case of the Thunderbird, the difference is more than the colors.

Think it's a good lineup - the Classics and all its avatar, the Thunderbird and it's new avatar, the Continental, the Himalayan and soon the Twins.

You go to any other brand and you have the plain vanilla stuff. Here you are sure to find something to match your personality, over priced some would say compared to other bikes that have better technology.

Well that's how it is. Whether you like it or not, the sales are at its high. There is always someone who would love it in a new avatar.

It's really strange that the Classic 350 itself outsells the Dominar by 45 times! Seems in Dec 2017, Dominar sales number was about 1000 while the Classic 350 was 48000!

Of course everyone would prefer the ABS option, but not many would opt it.

BTW I do not like the Thunderbird X as a model. I think the placement of the footpegs is jugaad and cumbersome. But I think they should provide these accessories as optional extras to the standard Thunderbird.
Old 4th March 2018, 21:25   #42
BANNED

When the Himalayan had the new engine, It was something new. Next thing should have been the 650 cc Intruder. The newer paint shades and handlebars must be soft launched as models rather than going for unnecessarily high buzz and hype which might cause desensitization. What follows will be a lackluster response to future launches that might deserve a loud applause. Theses could have been offered as a customization option rather than being aired as groundbreaking discoveries.

IMHO this type of over-the-top claims on paints and stickers is more suitable for 100 cc bikes than for these big bikes with such a high premium pricing and a cult(ivated) following. Bring the big boys!

Last edited by COMMUTER : 4th March 2018 at 21:30.
Old 4th March 2018, 23:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
There is always someone who would love it in a new avatar.

That’s true and I am one of them . I saw blue one last night on the road, and now seriously thinking of replacing my classic 350 2009 model with Thunderbird 350X/500X.
Old 5th March 2018, 11:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

The new RE Thunderbird 350x and 500x look very different from their existing line up. Although both share the same underpinnings as the standard Tbird the new ones do look different. The Tbird has always been the test mule for experimentation for RE since its inception. I feel the front foot pegs should have been moved back as in the older Tbird's rather than its current position. The current front foot peg position makes sense in the standard Tbird for its relaxed riding position but for the Thunderbird X they should have been slightly backwards for a more sporty riding position. High time RE starts considering offering ABS at least as an option rather than waiting for the Govt. deadline of 2019.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 22:39   #45

I have been riding a T-Bird 350 since last 8 years and I think it is the most under rated one of all Bullet's. It's one of the best cruiser bikes. The current model was shadowed by Classics due to its looks (specially the tail end which looked awkward with small back rest and odd looking fenders), but the X is a looker. This model should have been a replacement of old model instead of an altogether different version but anyhow. I think the black treatment is looking awesome and I like handle bar position.

Though I am fully satisfied with my workhorse but I am thinking about replacement with these bold looks of X
avjinder is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks