Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 10:55   #31

Re: Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS

The company would have to incur the additional cost of including abs, which can include updated front fork, the abs module, updated discs etc.
Instead of reducing their profits they would invariably transfer the costs to the end consumer.

But this price hike would be significantly less than say fitting the whole ABS kit on an existing on-abs motorcycle.
Nahushrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 11:32   #32
BHPian

Hi All,
I booked yesterday the ABS version of Himalayan. The on road price is 232457/-. Expected delivery is today. I booked at HSR Motors on Lalbagh road and the experience till now is good.
pdiw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 14:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiIyengar View Post
Is ABS as a technology and are the mechanical parts involved really worth the 10-15k premium that manufacturers charge customers? I'm amazed at how it is a value-add here but quite normal in other countries. Of course glad that from Apr 1, 2019 that's changing.
Even today, Honda charges a huge 30K premium for their CR250R ABS version over the regular variant. So this is certainly a much smaller premium. However with so many two-wheelers adapting to ABS, the volume scales should give really good cost advantage over the tiny volumes that the CBR had.
The first reports of the ABS equipped Royal Enfields are also encouraging, so I suppose we cannot complain anymore.
Old 12th September 2018, 14:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiw View Post
Hi All,
I booked yesterday the ABS version of Himalayan. The on road price is 232457/-. Expected delivery is today. I booked at HSR Motors on Lalbagh road and the experience till now is good.

Wow! Delivery in a day? That's surprising. I heard there was 2-3weeks of wait time.
Old 12th September 2018, 15:36   #35
BHPian

Congratulations! Getting delivery in a day of booking the bike! Wow, that is quite quick! Quicker than how fast these bad boys can go

Personally, I would hate to wait to pick up my new vehicle after booking. That is the most daunting experience. So you are lucky to get your hands on the bike so soon after the booking. Wishing you happy miles on the new ride.

Quote:
on road price is 232457/-
Wow! 2.32 L on road!! That is steep. This probably has to do with the road tax slab in KA. I hope it is a bit lesser on the other part of the country.
Old 12th September 2018, 16:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Congratulations! Getting delivery in a day of booking the bike! Wow, that is quite quick! Quicker than how fast these bad boys can go
The pricing is similar in Mumbai. That said, the delivery period varies from motorcycle to motorcycle. Thanks to the negative reviews from initial Himalayan adopters, the latest iteration is being approached carefully by potential customers.

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2018 at 17:03. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 12th September 2018, 16:49   #37

Quote:
Hi All,
Congratulations! I envy you
I'd booked the himalayan abs on the 4th of this month and I have to wait for 12 more days for the delivery! *kill me already*

Also thanks for the OTR price the folks at the local dealership still have no idea of the OTR price here in Belgaum, Karnataka.
Old 12th September 2018, 21:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Congratulations pdiw, wish you a long and happy association with the REH.

Please keep us updated with your experience, especially the brake feel and the customary photographs after delivery.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2018, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Thank you All.
Yes I got the delivery as promised, the very next day of booking. But wait!! it was a worst experience than buying a vegetable from a street side vendor. There was literally no celebration and I felt that I will be asked to figure out my bike from the parked lot and drive away .
After seeing that no one is bothered to complete delivery formalities, I requested some one from the showroom to at least give a pose for a snap. Then looking at my desperation for a snap, the security guard searched a big key cutout from a dump and asked some one for showroom to pose with new bike. Thank God I finally got some snap to post on FB and update my whatsapp status!

Also to make my day more special I had a bigger surprise waiting at temple. Since it was already late, I rushed for a pooja at "Accident Ganesha" temple on KB Road. As some of you know the priest of this temple is too particular about parking of your vehicle to perform pooja. The priest told me that he can do pooja only if I park my bike 10 feet behind where I parked initially.
I promptly obliged so that priest delivers God's blessing without any deduction. While I was waiting for my turn for Pooja, a brand new car after completing pooja , came fast and brushed my parked bike. My bike was on central stand with the rear footrest open. I heard a thud noise and before I realised that the car driver pressed accelerator instead of break , the car's new bumper was torn apart and there was huge dent on car's body above front left wheel.
Then only I realised the impact and seeing the car condition I started searching for damages on my new bike.

You have to believe me!! my bike didn't even moved much from the parked position only the rear right foot rest's rubber was rubbed. In disbelief, I searched again with more focus for 5 more minutes, I could not find any thing.
I immediately thanked Lord Accident Ganesh for this miracle. I also have to give full marks to the bike's build quality by RE.

Next day I had one more surprise waiting for me. This time it was my BIL. He asked for test ride and I promptly handed over the key. After starting the bike, first thing he wanted to try was off roading. The Road was so off that he could not find place to land his feet and he fell off with bike. Again I heard familiar thud sound. and I ran to lift my BIL and then bike. As I lifted the bike, I could see a reasonable tar was chipped off the road and I thought the bike's left lever or handle would have taken hit. Again the Lord Accident Ganesha saved my bike again, only little scratch on left leaver and little displacement of mirror position nothing more. Instantly I named my beast as "BB" a.k.a "Beast Bhali".

OK, now feed back after my first 100 Kms with BB. Definitely this version has better breaking and increases the confidence to a new level.
There were heavy rains in Bangalore yesterday and day before. I wanted to test the beast and took out the bike to see it handling on Bangalore's bad roads during heavy rains.

Bike handling was pretty good but the headlights didn't had enough power to guide me during heavy rains.

My only annoying factor with this bike is that it can't start this without using Manual Bi Starter (choke) after stopping the engine soon after a few minutes of ride. Sometimes we need to switch off the ignition for few minutes.

I love this beast and will have few more interesting stories to unfold after completing the RUNNING IN PERIOD. Cya till then!. Leaving you with some pictures of BB.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-bike4.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-bike3.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-bike2.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Classic, Thunderbird & Himalayan to get ABS-bike1.jpeg  

Last edited by bblost : 16th September 2018 at 00:21. Reason: Congrats. Removed extra smileys from the post.
pdiw is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 00:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

Congrats.

The bike looks beautiful and it perfectly matches your dog as well.
Wishing you many happy miles.

The headlights need to be adjusted. In my Himalayan, I changed the angle and it made all the difference.

Check the ownership manual on how to do this.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 09:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Wow! 2.32 L on road!! That is steep. This probably has to do with the road tax slab in KA. I hope it is a bit lesser on the other part of the country.
I believe the 5 year compulsory insurance for new vehicle has kicked-in.
Without knowing the claim history upfront (as opposed to year-on-year on renewal), insurance companies are probably padding the premium to mitigate risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahushrc View Post
Also thanks for the OTR price the folks at the local dealership still have no idea of the OTR price here in Belgaum, Karnataka
The OTR should remain the same throughout the state.

Quote:
Thank you All.
Bike looks great!! The incidents you describe remind me of Bruce Willis from Unbreakable.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2018 at 10:38. Reason: formatted
Old 16th September 2018, 10:08   #42
BHPian

@pdiw : Since you have got your hands on this bike and have done a 100kms i wanted to ask you a few questions.
1) Vibrations? given that its a RE bike how bad are they? and at what speed and gear are they most felt. Given that this is a newer iteration of the Himalayan i suppose they have managed to iron out a few problems. Can the sweet spot be easily achieved?

2)Ride height? i know that this is a taller bike but would a person who is 5'8 struggle on it?
3) Does it fry your legs in bumper to bumper city traffic?
4) Is this a good bike for a beginner?
5) Is the suspension set up stiff?
Old 16th September 2018, 21:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
I believe the 5 year compulsory insurance for new vehicle has kicked-in.
Without knowing the claim history upfront (as opposed to year-on-year on renewal), insurance companies are probably padding the premium to mitigate risk.

The mandatory 5 year insurance as I understand from the dealer is only for Third party component of the insurance. The other component of a full comprehensive, should be renewed annually.
Old 17th September 2018, 00:31   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you All...

This time it was my BIL. He asked for test ride and I promptly handed over the key. After starting the bike, first thing he wanted to try was off roading. ...
Pardon my ignorance but being in the US, I am not familiar with the way things are done in India.

Is it common for officials to test ride motorcycles in order to get them approved?

If it isn't, it sounds like the person was just trying to get a free ride on your new motorcycle.

If it is, that sounds like a dangerous situation that could have caused a lot of damage to the bike. You and your motorcycle were very lucky.

I have several things I will NEVER let anyone except my close family members (wife and son's) use, even for a short while.

One, is my wife. Add to this my automobiles, my guitars, my firearms and my motorcycle. Call me selfish but there are too many things that can go wrong when someone uses something they don't own or care about.
Old 17th September 2018, 07:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

Is it common for officials to test ride motorcycles in order to get them approved?

If it isn't, it sounds like the person was just trying to get a free ride on your new motorcycle.
BIL here refers to brother in law.
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks