Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 17:48   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
What do you think would be the effect on oil life and performance on this engine if the oil is used with repeated heating and cooling cycle? Has Suzuki made this kind of cooling in any of the historical road bikes? There is a mention of oil cooling in some of their old bikes, anyone here know which are those exact models? Would this technology fare well in Indian condition? Need to do some deep dive research before plunging in.

Some skepticism apart, this looks too good to pass on. I am planning to buy a Apache 310 this year end eyes closed, this looks like good contender, I need to test ride both these bikes when the time comes.
MB touched on almost all the points I intended to cover, though I'll add a few points.

Oil cooling is nothing but a derivative of the water cooling system. In all respects, it works along the same principle as a water cooled setup works. The basic purpose here is to transfer the heat through a medium that is subjected to more air flow over a broader surface.

This is no way affects an engine oil's performance. As a matter of fact, an oil becomes denser when it's cold and thinner when it gets hot. The thinner any oil gets, the weaker its lubrication properties becomes. Maintaining the right oil temperature is key to get the best lubrication out of the oil itself.

Remember, the oil does quite some duties here, right from the shear stress that it goes inside the engine from the gearbox, yet still firm enough to lubricate the piston, cool the clutch, the valvetrain and what not. This can make an oil thin to water in no time.

The oil cooling offers some unique advantages here, helps keep the engine temps in check through the engine oil itself via a radiator, which is a plus. As an engine gets heated up, so does the oil. Now, if the same oil acts as a medium to transfer all that heat from itself, it reduces the temperature of both the engine oil and the engine's operating temperature itself.

Cheap and very effective. Secondly, the oil cools itself in the process which makes it denser and in effect provides better lubrication. Another win in the process.

We have oil coolers, right from decades right from Pulsar 200s to 220s to Interceptor 650s to RE Himlayan to Apache RTR 200s. This isn't a new tech, it's been for donkey's years, and a very effective one.

Eliminates engine bulk, eliminates complicated cooling systems, simplifies service time, but most importantly for a manufacturer, COST effective.

Remember, an engine that is run without periodic oil change is 95% more susceptible to reduced engine life and seizures and as opposed to its cooling characteristics.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 22nd May 2019 at 17:53.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:45   #62
BANNED

Re: Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L

I still don't understand how the heat around the cylinder (where all of the heat is generated in the first place) is discarded. Having a few fins would not have been a bad idea.

The biggest cost concern with liquid cooling is the water jacket that needs to be developed around the entire engine and gearbox. Are we using oil to discard the cylinder heat? If so, we'd need a jacket around the cylinder, negating some of the cost benefits of skipping liquid cooling.

Endlessly and rapidly heating and cooling the oil is bound to wear it out sooner. From what I know, the engine oil typically helps cool down the clutch. Not the cylinder itself. I'm sure they must have done their homework beforehand. But, I don't think mineral oil is going to fly with this engine. Can someone confirm the oil change frequency, the grade and quantity of oil used, and the cost per liter?

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 22nd May 2019 at 22:51.
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:12   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
I still don't understand how the heat around the cylinder (where all of the heat is generated in the first place) is discarded. Having a few fins would not have been a bad idea.

The biggest cost concern with liquid cooling is the water jacket that needs to be developed around the entire engine and gearbox. Are we using oil to discard the cylinder heat? If so, we'd need a jacket around the cylinder, negating some of the cost benefits of skipping liquid cooling.

Endlessly and rapidly heating and cooling the oil is bound to wear it out sooner. From what I know, the engine oil typically helps cool down the clutch. Not the cylinder itself. I'm sure they must have done their homework beforehand. But, I don't think mineral oil is going to fly with this engine. Can someone confirm the oil change frequency, the grade and quantity of oil used, and the cost per liter?
From what I saw in the video, Suzuki have designed this engine without a cooking jacket around the entire cylinder. There is a cooling passage at the top of the cylinder around the combustion chamber. Cooled oil from the oil cooler/radiator first goes to the cylinder head and cools the space around the combustion chamber and valves. That oil or a portion of the cooled oil goes to the cylinder and then finally drains into the sump.

What is not seen in the video is how they cool the piston. There probably are several oil jets in the sump aimed at the bottom of the piston and the cylinder liner.

The technology to cool engines using oil is very old, starting from aircraft engines in WW2. Suzuki extensively developed this technology for motorcycles in the 80s but it seems to have fallen out of favour because of market demands.

As for your concern about continuously hearing and cooling the oil, that is what happens in every single engine. But in this Suzuki engine, the maximum temperature the oil reaches is reduced compared to air cooled engines thanks to the radiator and fan. This alone will greatly prolong the life of the oil.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:22   #64
BHPian

Road review of Gixxer 250 SF by DCV. He is all praise for the engine, gearbox and flickability of the bike. I think this bike could be a winner, spec sheet does not tell the entire story, its how it is implemented that matters in real world conditions. This new engine could lead to new launches like Intruder 250 too, provided good demand for the 250 twins

Also, he says a taller windscreen is being developed by company

Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Kartikeya's review for Zigwheels. He says this is more of a sports-tourer than a sports bike. At 2.05L OTR bangalore indeed seems a bit pricey but then as a product it does bring a bit of freshness to the segment.

I feel suzuki should have got this a few years back. Now it seems just another bike, nothing exciting as such.

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd May 2019 at 10:03.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 15:12   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
From what I saw in the video, Suzuki have designed this engine without a cooking jacket around the entire cylinder.
Yeah! I found it on Youtube. It answered a lot of my questions.

MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 16:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Gixxer 155 and 250 Series get new colours for Brand's 100th Anniversary Celebrations.

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20201001_164537.jpg

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20201001_164613.jpg

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20201001_164609.jpg

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20201001_164633.jpg

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20201001_164636.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/suzu...ations-2303700
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:22   #68

This new color scheme makes it so much more appealing to a wider audience, especially on the SF. But I hope they have not got rid of the old matte colors. I was looking to get one in that beautiful matte black by this year.
raunak2X90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:53   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunak2X90 View Post
This new color scheme makes it so much more appealing to a wider audience, especially on the SF. But I hope they have not got rid of the old matte colors. I was looking to get one in that beautiful matte black by this year.
The matte black stays. The 250 lettering is now in a good shade of yellow which I think is much better looking than the old one. Now will be easily differentiable from 150 (for those who value it, which is the majority of Indian junta). The visor still remains a sore point.
kirans_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 21:32   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Two weeks ago, my garage saw a new entrant join the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 and the Triumph Street Triple 675. This leftover 2021 Suzuki SF250 in the attractive 100th Anniversary Celebration paint scheme, convinced me that it was everything that I was looking for in my next motorcycle. The funny part is that the Suzuki SF 250 was never on my radar. And two of Suzuki's biggest dealers in my city almost sold me the TVS Apache 310RR. All that and more is for the upcoming ownership thread.

Now that I've done a shade over 2,400 kilometers, I know why Suzuki owners absolutely love their motorcycles.

Rumour: Suzuki Gixxer 250 coming in 2019. Edit: Gixxer SF 250 Launched @ 1.7L-20220704_094223.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 21:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Two weeks ago, my garage saw a new entrant join the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 and the Triumph Street Triple 675. This leftover 2021 Suzuki SF250 in the attractive 100th Anniversary Celebration paint scheme, convinced me that it was everything that I was looking for in my next motorcycle. The funny part is that the Suzuki SF 250 was never on my radar. And two of Suzuki's biggest dealers in my city almost sold me the TVS Apache 310RR. All that and more is for the upcoming ownership thread.

Now that I've done a shade over 2,400 kilometers, I know why Suzuki owners absolutely love their motorcycles.

Congrats on the new SF!, and welcome to the club!. After driving this bike for 16,000 Kms and 1 year, I feel this is the most VFM 250cc and one of the best bikes one can buy in India!, If you have any questions regarding the service, please feel free to PM, I have a service manual which may help you as a lot of service centres don't have good knowledge regarding this bike!.
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 05:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and that's a great shade to own. A Suzuki was never on my radar too, but somehow it got into the garage Seems like a habit, now
Quote:
2021 Suzuki SF250 in the attractive 100th Anniversary Celebration paint scheme, convinced me that it was everything that I was looking for in my next motorcycle. The funny part is that the Suzuki SF 250 was never on my radar.
Old 6th July 2022, 09:27   #73

Quote:
Congratulations on the new bike! I have the naked version of this and I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
If you have any questions regarding the service, please feel free to PM, I have a service manual which may help you as a lot of service centres don't have good knowledge regarding this bike!.
Yes I felt the service centers do the bare minimum. I tried to find the service manual for this, but couldn't find it. I'd love to have it if it's okay with you.
Cutlass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats. Looking forward to a detailed review.
Could you explain why you chose to buy a 2021 manufactured bike and whether you received any discounts ?
SkylineGTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 21:39   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
Congrats. Looking forward to a detailed review.
Could you explain why you chose to buy a 2021 manufactured bike and whether you received any discounts ?
A few reasons
- I was looking to buy a SF 250 that was readily available at a local dealership. I wasnt going to wait around.
- The options were matte black (2022 / 2021 stock), a 2021 MotoGP blue or this 2021 bike in the 100th Anniversary Celebration paint scheme.
- There were good discounts all around, as dealers were desperate to sell the bikes in their showrooms. One dealer offered a Rs 18K discount on a 2022 matte black SF 250 motorcycle. The 2021 MotoGP blue in another dealership was offered at a Rs 25K discount. There were discounts of between Rs 25K to Rs 30K on 2021 SF 250 bike in the 100th Anniversary Celebration motorcycles.

I know other TBHPians have got much juicier discounts in other cities. Please remember that Suzuki is dumping fresh stocks of the VStrom 250 on their dealers. The VStrom isnt flying off the Suzuki shelves. So, dealers are trying to get rid of the SF 250 and Gixxer 250 motorcycles that are lying in their showrooms. If you negotiate hard, you should be able to get some discounts thrown in for 2021 stock motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
If you have any questions regarding the service, please feel free to PM, I have a service manual which may help you as a lot of service centres don't have good knowledge regarding this bike!.
Can you upload the service manual on this thread? It will help all of us get access to it.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks