Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 11:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?

Spy images of the Bajaj Pulsar 220F have surfaced online. Reports suggest that the camouflaged test bike could be powered by a new BS-VI compliant, fuel-injected 250cc engine.

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?-2020bajajpulsar220bsvispied7.jpg

In terms of styling, the new Pulsar 220F is likely to retain its semi-faired look. The fairing appears to be tweaked with minor modifications to the headlamp cluster and side panels. It has split seat, a single side-mounted exhaust and 5-spoke alloy wheels.

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?-2020bajajpulsar220bsvispied2.jpg

According to a media report, Bajaj is likely to upgrade to a 250cc powerplant, replacing the current 220cc, single-cylinder unit that produces 20.64 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 18.55 Nm of torque @ 7,000 rpm. The new bike is expected to feature disc brakes at both ends and will come equipped with ABS.

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?-2020bajajpulsar220bsvispied1.jpg

There has been no word yet from Bajaj regarding the new Pulsar 220F.

Source: ThrustZone

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:13   #2
BANNED

Re: Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?

Bajaj's very own Godzilla!

I would be thrilled to find out that they reliably bored out the old motor to 250cc's, though not as thrilled if the motorcycle would be FI fueled.

The main-stand clearance still seems to be inadequate, which is cute, some things never change.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The main-stand clearance still seems to be inadequate, ...
If it is mainly the engine being re-worked on, I guess this clearance would be the same as what is there currently.

On another note, why camouflage this one ? It was easy to pass it off as a regular 220F ?
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'd be very much happy to know that if they've overbored the same 220 engine, which would mean the boffins at Bajaj did do a job well done. Now, can it be the Duke 250 engine with triple spark with liquid cooling and ABS, well that's one sweet proposition to consider.

Nevertheless I'd love to see how the legendary front fairing has been cosmetically corrected and the engine bored setup. This should be launched soon, me thinks.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
On another note, why camouflage this one ? It was easy to pass it off as a regular 220F ?
Will be a wasted oppurtunity if they don't improve the decade old design as well.

Not a radical change though - considering the rural and semi-urban appeal of the 220F.
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will be a wasted oppurtunity if they don't improve the decade old design as well.

Not a radical change though - considering the rural and semi-urban appeal of the 220F.
From the first picture, it looks as if nothing has changed to me. And going by how Bajaj has updated the Pulsar 'Classic' to give it red badges all around, I wont be surprised if what is hiding beneath all that camouflage are red badges and some fancy new decal job
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 13:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But, I still find it appealing than the RS & NS variants of Pulsar/Bajaj. Different strokes for different folks but somehow, the RS & NS appear too much like Quanto/Xylo/Ssangyong designs.
Old 27th November 2018, 20:17   #8
BHPian

Since I own one, it's very close to my heart and I want to share my two bits here. Linking two of my posts-

1. A quick comparison with my brother's D400 (My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS - Completed 1200 km)

2. A wishlist of upgrades that I want to see on P220 (1 crore Bajaj Pulsars sold!)

The bike is still rocking, and the sales numbers reflect that. I would like to reiterate the wishlist that I have:

1. LED Headlamps
2. Revised styling-tweaks to update it, and not a comprehensive redesign
3. Improvements on console
4. Tweak in power figure
5. Better brakes, especially rear and ABS
6. Better color schemes.

Although I do not plan to replace/upgrade my P220 in near future, I'd be awaiting the update launch, and eager to see what Bajaj has to offer us. More often than not, Bajaj product launches are very close to what customers want (exceptions here and there). Waiting to be surprised.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 20:24   #9
BHPian

It would have been a great package if they launched it with the Domiar engine. P220’s cult following along with the capable 400cc engine would have made it a good combination. No doubt, Dominar itself is a good tourer but given that P220 has an image already established, penetrating the market interest would have been easier as well.
Old 27th November 2018, 21:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
It would have been a great package if they launched it with the Domiar engine. P220’s cult following along with the capable 400cc engine would have made it a good combination. No doubt, Dominar itself is a good tourer but given that P220 has an image already established, penetrating the market interest would have been easier as well.

I differ on this- P220 and D400 engines are two different breeds. Can't compare both of them. Also, not sure if P220's chassis can handle D400's engine. Will push the prices too.

P220's engine has its own charm and performance. It is highly tractable, and much more responsive on the lower end compared to D400. It needs to be bettered and not thrown away unless it is required due to regulations/norms.
Old 27th November 2018, 22:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
I differ on this- P220 and D400 engines are two different breeds. Can't compare both of them.
But the 250 doesn't seem to be that good an idea either, as per the original post. If based on the Duke 250 engine, it might not have the same low end torquey feel that people associate with the Pulsar 220.

I doubt it will be a bored out version of the old motor - but a triple spark version of the 250 motor, just like Dominar derived its engine from the Duke 390.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th November 2018 at 22:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
But the 250 doesn't seem to be that good an idea either, as per the original post. If based on the Duke 250 engine, it might not have the same low end torquey feel that people associate with the Pulsar 220.
Completely agree with the first part, and I hope it is not a triple spark version of D250 motor. That will take away the heart and soul of the P220. Fingers crossed.
Old 27th November 2018, 23:41   #13
BHPian

I am baffled when I see people still buying the Pulsar 220F? In almost every way, the Carburetor model of the|Apache RTR200 is better. It's newer, better looking, is better built, and costs the same.

I suppose the Pulsar still has some appeal as it most likely has the lowest maintenance and replacement parts costs in the segment. Personally, I am not a fan of the bike as I felt it has slower, heavier handling and a very rough engine compared to newer bikes.

I think the 250cc upgrade will be from an all-new bore, as the current bore is maxed out at 230cc (Big bore kit from RaceConcepts).
Old 28th November 2018, 00:13   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I think the 250cc upgrade will be from an all-new bore, as the current bore is maxed out at 230cc (Big bore kit from RaceConcepts).
Once I'd got in touch with an enthusiast who rides a P220 in Indonesia, he'd shared his Dyno chart with me via FB that showed over 40 horses at the rear wheel generated by his motorcycle which was displacing 250~260cc's at the time, I do not recall the exact state of tune as this was a while ago and I'm not active on FB anymore.

Out of curiosity I did inquire over time on how his motorcycle performed and from what I recall all was fine up to 40k km's after the mod-job, after which we simply fell out of touch.

For comparison, a stock P220 in good condition generates about 17 horses at the rear wheel.

Edit:

Found the info I'd shared on another motorcycling forum.

His displacement was at 280cc's, below are photo's he sent me;

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?-dyno-1.png

Is this the next-gen Bajaj Pulsar 220F?-dyno-2.jpg

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 28th November 2018 at 00:24. Reason: Editing to add info later recovered
Old 28th November 2018, 00:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
Can't compare both of them.
Well, my idea was not to compare these to machines. All I meant was, rather than boring the existing 220 to get a 250cc engine, Bajaj should concentrate on incorporating the wonderful engine they already have. It is a win-win for both Bajaj as well as the prospects.

Quote:
Also, not sure if P220's chassis can handle D400's engine.
Well, if they are trying to relaunch the bike, and they want to deliver a better and more efficient engine, they better rework on the chassis and the frame to accommodate the new engine as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks