Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 08:56   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get your valve stem checked and replaced if necessary. Most likely the issue in such cases.
The valves were checked and no issues were found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
I had faced same issue with my bike. To check better, get the air filled upto 40-50 PSI and check with soap water multiple times.

There might be possibility that the tyre has developed very small cracks and air might be loosing from there. Other possibility might be some rust development on the rim sides on which the tyre holds.

To save upon the cost of replacing tyre, I got a tube installed. I have been driving since 7-8 months and there has been no issue.
Rusting issue so early is almost unheard off. However, will inspect the tyre thoroughly in a day or two.

Metzelers anyways is losing its performance in the 5000 kms mark already. Same has been the feedback from a few more R3 owners riding on Metzelers. I dont think this will have the same kind of grip and feedback beyond 10,000 kms. Will switch over to the Michelins post riding around for another 4500 kms.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Metzelers anyways is losing its performance in the 5000 kms mark already. Same has been the feedback from a few more R3 owners riding on Metzelers. I dont think this will have the same kind of grip and feedback beyond 10,000 kms. Will switch over to the Michelins post riding around for another 4500 kms.
Hi, are you planning to swap both front and back? Michelin pilot sport right? Any other suitable ones for normal street/touring?
Old 16th October 2019, 20:58   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

R3 completed 1 year of ownership on Saturday the 12th October 2019. A detailed post will be up soon with the experience so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Hi, are you planning to swap both front and back? Michelin pilot sport right? Any other suitable ones for normal street/touring?
The options for R3 with Radial tyres are Metzelers, Pirelli and Michelin. I am yet to decide which one to go for once these come to 10K kms on the Odo
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:57   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The valves were checked and no issues were found.
Slime it.

I have been using Slime for over a decade now. Used it on R15, CBR-250R and now on FZ-25.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 11:50   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The options for R3 with Radial tyres are Metzelers, Pirelli and Michelin.
For tyre life - nothing comes close to the Michelin! It's giving double the tyre life of other brands, even when the downsized 150 tyres are put on the heavy Versys 650!

Incase R3 owners are happy with the grip and feedback on offer with the Michelin Pilot Streets - do not look anywhere else.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 21:18   #51
BHPian

Re: Which One and Why

I've read through this whole Threat few times. It's that good and that interesting. I know I'm very late to wish, but still can't resist to say, Congratulations on your new bike and milestones reached.

I'm a total newbie to the world of bikes. I've always been a car lover since childhood, but slowly also developed a love towards bikes. I now ride a used (family owned) CBZ (1999-2004), just in the colony, for minor works. It's yet to go through the fitness procedure and renewal of registration. But it's an absolute gem. My liking towards bikes has taken a promotion, thanks to two things. First - The Bike I ride. Second - This post of yours.

Quote:
Decided up the budget and consider twin cylinder ones and shot off all the single cylinder ones.
This statement that you made, has strongly influenced me to go with a twin-cylinder bike for my upgrade. I felt Team-BHP is the best place to find answers for my questions and Since I've taken inspiration from your post, I felt asking you would make the most sense. So Sir, I have a few doubts which I humbly request you to help me with.

I do not have the budget for a new R3. And even if I extend my budget and go for a new R3, it would take a steep depreciation the moment it's registered. So I'm leaning towards a used R3, probably after few months (6 minimum). Yamaha is a brand known for it's rough and tough bikes and so I feel a used bike would not bring many problems. So, here are my queries :

1) What and how do I check a used bike for issues before making the deal ? I see few posts related to cars, but please help me with the bikes. Even a link regarding the same would be of great help.

2) Sources to find genuine used bikes like the R3 in the Indian market. If it's a routine bike, there are several portals but I think premium bikes surely have a different place where I should be searching for.

I apologise if this reply seems off-topic but I really want to ask an expert regarding these and hence chose this R3 ownership thread of yours.

And I'm also looking forward for the 1 year ownership review of yours.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 01:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you changed the tyres? How has been the performance?

For me, there has been no change in the grip though Metz have passed 10K now. I was expecting replacement after 10K, but that doesnt seem necessary yet. I am possibly not riding it on the edge to know the limits, though service center mechanic as well confirmed that the tyres are in excellent condition and dont need replacement.
Old 29th November 2019, 14:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I've read through this whole Threat few times. It's that good and that interesting. I know I'm very late to wish, but still can't resist to say, Congratulations on your new bike and milestones reached.
Thank you.

Quote:
I do not have the budget for a new R3. And even if I extend my budget and go for a new R3, it would take a steep depreciation the moment it's registered. So I'm leaning towards a used R3, probably after few months (6 minimum). Yamaha is a brand known for it's rough and tough bikes and so I feel a used bike would not bring many problems. So, here are my queries
Used R3 with low mileages are available (at least in Bangalore). Do check it thoroughly at a neighborhood garage or at Yamaha Authorized service center. Keep an eye on classified on various portals you might come across a low mileage one.

Quote:
And I'm also looking forward for the 1 year ownership review of yours.
Composing it. It will be up in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Have you changed the tyres? How has been the performance?

For me, there has been no change in the grip though Metz have passed 10K now. I was expecting replacement after 10K, but that doesnt seem necessary yet. I am possibly not riding it on the edge to know the limits, though service center mechanic as well confirmed that the tyres are in excellent condition and dont need replacement.
Not changed it yet. Will do around the 12K kms mark on the odo. Currently at 8025 kms.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:52   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Been quite tied up with work, so the updates took its own sweet time to be documented. So here we go.

Milestones in the past few months

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-6000.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-7000.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-8000.jpg

Mileage

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-mileage.png

Got this in one of the group rides. Never been able to ride like this with the sole intent of getting such mileage again.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-31.1-mileage.jpg

The past 14 months post the purchase of the bike has been hectic and having minimal chances to ride the bike out. However, still managed to ride on work and a couple of R3 owners get together events. The odo is slowly creeping up and now it is at 86xx kms. A few pics randomly taken during the rides.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-coffee-barn-1.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-coffee-barn-2.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-yercaud-1.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20191026_164042.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20191026_164049.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-img_20191026_164105.jpg

A couple of random pics taken during a steam wash

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-steambath-1.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-steambath-2.jpg

With the Odometer creeping up to 8,500 kms, I decided to service the bike with the help of my mechanic.

Issues that required attention
  1. Mild Vibes around the 7000 rpm mark
  2. Spongy feel of the brakes (it was mild)

The below parts were changed during the service.
  1. Oil Filter
  2. Air Filter
  3. Engine Oil

Issues fixed
  1. Mild Vibes around the 7000 rpm mark - Adjusted the chain and tightened all the bedding bolts, the mild vibes that were present is now gone.
  2. Spongy feel of the brakes (it was mild) - cleaned the brake pads and bled the brakes. Now the bite and feel is back

Oil Filter

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-oil-filter.jpg

Old Engine Oil drained

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-oil-drained.jpg

AMSOIL MC4 10W-40 oil used this time around

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-amsoil-mc4.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-fresh-oil-going-.jpg

Air Filter - Old vs New

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-old-vs-new-air-filter.jpg

A few things changed/installed on the bike

Changed the coolant to Engine ICE. Initially, it is heating up a little more than the Motul used earlier. I will observe for some more duration and update.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-engine-ice.jpg

Scottoiler installed on the bike

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-scottoiler.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-scottoiler-installed.jpg

Foldable Levers - bought from Aliexpress which cost about 1400 bucks.

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-levers.jpg

Mobile Charger

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-mobile-charger.jpg

Picked up a pair of Viaterra gloves from Orion Motors

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-viaterra-1.jpg

Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review-viaterra-2.jpg

Will be completing the 500 days ownership in about three weeks' time. Pushing the full update as a separate post once the timeline is complete.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 29th January 2020 at 13:57.
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:27   #55
BHPian

I have booked an R3 and during the PDI, i had a few questions /observations

1. The ABS light remains on after ignition self-check. I have usually seen the ABS light to switch off after ignition self-check. The dealer is mentioned that it goes off after 10kmph. Any owners can you confirm whether this is the case with R3

2. The tires manufacturing date is 3918 ( 39th week 2018) and it is almost 1.5 yrs old.
The vehicle is probably assembled /imported in batches and I can understand old tires but 1.5yrs is a bit old . Any input from current owners would be helpful?
Old 12th February 2020, 14:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Foldable Levers - bought from Aliexpress which cost about 1400 bucks.

Attachment 1962221
I was searching for these kind of levers for my CBR 250R and came across this video on Youtube. I guess these cheap ones aren't exactly safe. Please check the brake lever for free play.

Last edited by tchsvy : 12th February 2020 at 14:36.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post

1. The ABS light remains on after ignition self-check. I have usually seen the ABS light to switch off after ignition self-check. The dealer is mentioned that it goes off after 10kmph. Any owners can you confirm whether this is the case with R3
I'm not a R3 owner but two of my ABS equipped bikes show the same ABS light when ignition is turned on. ABS light turns off once we exceed 10 kmph. So its normal i believe.
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 22:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ABS light remains on with Ninja 300 too and turns off after speed exceeds 10kmph. It’s normal.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 01:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:

2. The tires manufacturing date is 3918 ( 39th week 2018) and it is almost 1.5 yrs old.
The vehicle is probably assembled /imported in batches and I can understand old tires but 1.5yrs is a bit old . Any input from current owners would be helpful?
First of all congratulations on this beauty.
On most bikes I've ridden, ABS light remains on at the ignition check. It goes away after certain speed is achieved, in CBR250 the ABS light goes off at 10kmph.

Try and get the tyres swapped if possible or bargain for some other freebies. I've personally used new tyres in car and bike which were over 1 year old without any issues whatsoever so don't worry. Unless the tyres are heavily exposed to environmental elements, it's not a big concern. Since R3 is not a mass market bike, i would like to believe it would have been stored indoors safely. Anyway what is manufacturing year and month for bike?

Last edited by camitesh : 13th February 2020 at 01:03.
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:22   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

On the ABS Light -
Quote:
3. ABS Indicator - This turns off post crossing the 10 kmph mark. If the light stays on, then the ABS is throwing up an issue which needs to be attended to.
- Link (Yamaha YZF-R3 : Ownership Review)

On the tires, Metzelers are decently grippy until the 5 to 6000 km mark. Post that the feedback from the tire is average. I am looking to swap it to Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 shortly. Mind you it will easily set you back by close to 14000 for the stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Try and get the tyres swapped if possible or bargain for some other freebies. I've personally used new tires in car and bike which were over 1 year old without any issues whatsoever so don't worry. Unless the tyres are heavily exposed to environmental elements, it's not a big concern. Since R3 is not a mass-market bike, i would like to believe it would have been stored indoors safely. Anyway what is manufacturing year and month for bike?
He will get none from the dealership make no mistake. If he gets, it is as good as winning a jackpot. All bikes currently that Yamaha has is 2019 make. Swapping the new tires at a tire shop should save him a couple of 1000s if you are lucky.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks