Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 22:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150

Done with the documented run-in kilometers in approximately 62 days. No need to peek at the console on a free road now.

Some of the inherent details till date:

Fuel: Total 31.8 L
Total Cost: Rs. 2400
Total kms: 1005
Ave. Fuel Efficiency: 34.8 kmpl
Total service cost: 384 (2 free services)
Niggles: None as of now

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-1000.jpg
sandx is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 22:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Some of the inherent details till date:

Fuel: Total 31.8 L
Total Cost: Rs. 2400
Total kms: 1005
Ave. Fuel Efficiency: 34.8 kmpl
Total service cost: 384 (2 free services)
Niggles: None as of now

Attachment 1838549
Not the ideal way to calculate mileage because, you wouldn't fill 31.8 litres in a single go. Hence each fill will have different variations of ride conditions.
Mileage will steadily improve to 40-42 kmpl after few services. I have a consistant mileage on my Vespas(125cc) and Aprilias(150cc) between 40l-45 since I purchased them. As you said 0 niggles.

Ride Safe,

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Please refrain from discussions on Whatsapp groups on the forums. Thanks!
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 22:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine sounded a bit unrefined but nothing of the sort that was a deal breaker... And the way it looks is simply amazing... as per some Festive offers the discounts ran into the tune of around 10k on the total on road price.
When I first rode one in Aizawl two years back, I thought it was highly careless of the showroom staff to be providing a defective unit for test-rides. The rs65,000 they wanted for them then seemed reasonable in light of the premium equipment / specs (and priced well under any Vespa at the time), but the rattle and harshness from the engine were SO pronounced that I actually thought it had a loose connecting rod. When I got back and the salespeople asked how I liked it, I was left somewhat speechless, having arrived there on a silky-smooth and rather sprightly Navi.

Fast-forward and I'd guess that nearly half of new scooter sales in Mizoram are now SR150's; Mizos, despite being on average a little short-legged themselves, like style and power - and it fills that part very nicely. They must truly be uncommon/unique machines in most other places, and I started to think again that maybe I could own one (or buy one for, eh, my wife)... The bigger engine, wheels, brakes all a real boon in the hills... IF I could make peace with that (yes, normal / universal) mechanical rattle, whatever its source. AND if they'd get rid of that ridiculous hashtag (as bad as KTM's “Stunt Ready” - do we really need to have this kind of nonsense plastered on otherwise nice-looking two-wheelers?).

Thanks for this thread, I admire anyone that's going out on a limb a little in the interest of motoring enthusiasm; as scooters go these are about the coolest thing out there.

You mentioned Karizma's... another fairly unique / advanced 2-wheeler in its time, another which despite the slight FE compromise had its (earlier) day representing near half the bike population of Mizoram.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 18th January 2019 at 22:50.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 01:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Not the ideal way to calculate mileage because, you wouldn't fill 31.8 litres in a single go. Hence each fill will have different variations of ride conditions.
Mileage will steadily improve to 40-42 kmpl after few services. I have a consistant mileage on my Vespas(125cc) and Aprilias(150cc) between 40l-45 since I purchased them. As you said 0 niggles.

Ride Safe,
Hey hillram thanks for the note. I have actually put up the figures from the fuelio / drivvo app and yes that’s not ideal. Usually I don’t check on the mileage figures much and with the kind of fluctuations the fuel prices are going through its a failed excercise in my books anyway. Hope to catch up with you on the Aprilia track day on 26th. PM incoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
When I first rode one in Aizawl two years back, I thought it was highly careless of the showroom staff to be providing a defective unit for test-rides. The rs65,000 they wanted for them then seemed reasonable in light of the premium equipment / specs (and priced well under any Vespa at the time), but the rattle and harshness from the engine were SO pronounced that I actually thought it had a loose connecting rod. When I got back and the salespeople asked how I liked it, I was left somewhat speechless, having arrived there on a silky-smooth and rather sprightly Navi.

Fast-forward and I'd guess that nearly half of new scooter sales in Mizoram are now SR150's; Mizos, despite being on average a little short-legged themselves, like style and power - and it fills that part very nicely.

Do we really need to have this kind of nonsense plastered on otherwise nice-looking two-wheelers?).

Thanks for this thread, I admire anyone that's going out on a limb a little in the interest of motoring enthusiasm; as scooters go these are about the coolest thing out there.

You mentioned Karizma's... another fairly unique / advanced 2-wheeler in its time, another which despite the slight FE compromise had its (earlier) day representing near half the bike population of Mizoram.

-Eric
Hey Eric. Thanks for reading through my thread, I am from Assam myself and would love to ride the SR 150 through the twisties some day. It would be a helluva ride am sure. I get excited even on the normal curves on the Hyderabad roads.

I saw a lot of Vespa dealerships when I went to my hometown this time around and was happy to see this scooter on the roads.

Agree on the tag line, could have been something lot better.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 19:53. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 20th January 2019, 18:10   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your new machine! The Aprilia really is a head turner and I can't help but stare at it every time I encounter one. It is like a breath of fresh air in the sea of conventional looking (read boring) scooters that flood our market.

Quote:
Twin pod headlamps, throw is a problem. I have been driving with the switch in the middle which lights up both the lamps in low beam, much more useful and brighter this way. No issues till now.
I am sorry to be nitpicking your nicely penned review but I just had to bring this to your attention.

The high beam is not simply a brighter bulb than the low beam. Headlamp reflectors are designed and angled differently for low beam and high beam so the light is thrown at a different angle onto the road by their respective bulbs. By keeping the switch in the middle, you are activating both the bulbs. My concern is that it may inadvertently be blinding oncoming traffic as the light is coming from the high beam reflector also.

Again, no offense intended. I am only disturbed by the sheer number of drivers who unknowingly drive with their high beam on which makes it dangerous to the oncoming traffic.

Alas, it has been discussed at length in a different thread here. Hope we can all make driving as safe and pleasurable to others as we try for ourselves.

Wishing you many happy miles on your newly acquired beauty!

hmansari
hmansari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 20:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmansari View Post
Congratulations on your new machine! The Aprilia really is a head turner and I can't help but stare at it every time I encounter one. It is like a breath of fresh air in the sea of conventional looking (read boring) scooters that flood our market.

I am sorry to be nitpicking your nicely penned review but I just had to bring this to your attention.

The high beam is not simply a brighter bulb than the low beam. Headlamp reflectors are designed and angled differently for low beam and high beam so the light is thrown at a different angle onto the road by their respective bulbs. By keeping the switch in the middle, you are activating both the bulbs. My concern is that it may inadvertently be blinding oncoming traffic as the light is coming from the high beam reflector also.

hmansari
Hey hmansari, thanks for reading through my thread.

Yes, I am aware of how reflectors work. Actually in the Aprilia or at least on my scooter the high beam is an in your face type of a throw and would do more harm to the oncoming traffic then helping the rider see things in the dark. As I had mentioned in the post by keeping the switch in the middle both the lamps light up in LOW beam giving a wider throw concentrated only on the road surface ahead, you must have missed that point.

Besides both the bulbs are Osram bilux 12v 35w hs1’s which are not very bright anyway to keep it simple. In comparison the AHO spec Activa LEDs are more irritating when viewed from a RVM or even up front.
Old 21st January 2019, 00:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hey hmansari, thanks for reading through my thread.

Yes, I am aware of how reflectors work. Actually in the Aprilia or at least on my scooter the high beam is an in your face type of a throw and would do more harm to the oncoming traffic then helping the rider see things in the dark. As I had mentioned in the post by keeping the switch in the middle both the lamps light up in LOW beam giving a wider throw concentrated only on the road surface ahead, you must have missed that point.

Besides both the bulbs are Osram bilux 12v 35w hs1’s which are not very bright anyway to keep it simple. In comparison the AHO spec Activa LEDs are more irritating when viewed from a RVM or even up front.
Thanks for the quick response sandx.

I did not miss the point. In fact, your statement about the button in the middle position activating both the lamps in LOW beam made me do a double take.

As you already know, there are only two 12v 35w headlamp bulbs- one for low beam on the right side and the other for high beam which is on the left side. Now, you must also be knowing that your high beam/low beam switch only toggles between the individual bulbs, i.e., when in low beam only the right side bulb turns on and in high beam, only the left side bulb turns on. The difference between the beams is due to the different configuration of the right and left reflector setup. There is no effect whatsoever on the brightness of either bulb. Moreover there is no change in the reflector position/configuration when you flick the switch.

So I have to reiterate that when you are turning on both the lamps together you are actually turning on low beam and high beam at the same time thus blinding oncoming traffic with the high beam.

Hope this clears things up.

hmansari
Old 21st January 2019, 01:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:

So I have to reiterate that when you are turning on both the lamps together you are actually turning on low beam and high beam at the same time thus blinding oncoming traffic with the high beam.

Hope this clears things up.

hmansari
Hey man, with due respect, you are forcing your opinion and accusing me of blinding oncoming traffic. Do you own an Aprilia SR 150 by any chance? I can provide a snap of the throw when both lights are on or you can do a quick web search on those topic (specic to Aprilia SR series only or maybe you will get some generic reference once again.
Old 21st January 2019, 02:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hey man, with due respect, you are forcing your opinion and accusing me of blinding oncoming traffic. Do you own an Aprilia SR 150 by any chance? I can provide a snap of the throw when both lights are on or you can do a quick web search on those topic (specic to Aprilia SR series only or maybe you will get some generic reference once again.
I apologise for having offended you.

I do not own an Aprilia SR 150 or any Aprilia for that matter. But I don't have to own a Aprilia to state what I had stated in my previous posts.

You are kind for offering to post a photo. However in the interest of keeping up the morale of this forum and avoid any further misunderstanding, I will no longer be prolonging this discussion as apparently it is taking a negative turn.

Many cheers and God bless!

hmansari
hmansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 11:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As you already know, there are only two 12v 35w headlamp bulbs- one for low beam on the right side and the other for high beam which is on the left side.
Technically - this is how it works on most bikes with double lamps. Will be interesting to see if Aprilia does anything different here.

That said, the 35W beams on most scooters are generally weak - that even if it runs high and low beams, it would hardly bother any road users. Only one big exception to this is the Activa 5G - boy those LEDs are a real pain in high beam!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You are correct, the SR150, like other bikes with dual barrel headlights used one bulb each for low beam and the high beam. What the OP is doing here(I think), is balancing the switch between the low and high beam modes, so that both bulbs remain on at the same time.

Now, I don't do this myself, but rest assured that the high beam of the SR150 will not irritate the oncoming traffic too much, with the exception of a low slung saloon car and the like. Unlike in most two wheelers where the spread of the high beam is the same as the low beam but just higher, the SR150's high beam spread is akin to that of a pencil torch. Out of the factory, its aligned down towards the ground and not at the heavens.

I don't advocate the use of high beams in the urban environment where there's a lot of traffic around, but on the open road, the low beam of the SR150 is so bad it's actually quite frightening to go fast - you will be outrunning your headlights very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Technically - this is how it works on most bikes with double lamps. Will be interesting to see if Aprilia does anything different here.

That said, the 35W beams on most scooters are generally weak - that even if it runs high and low beams, it would hardly bother any road users. Only one big exception to this is the Activa 5G - boy those LEDs are a real pain in high beam!
Tell me about it! I was hoping the facelift would fix the weak headlight issue, but alas.

Totally agreed about the new gen Hondas. Their lights are so irritating even in bright daylight, it's an absolute nightmare to have one of those approaching you at night.
Speed.Demon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 14:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Twin pod headlamps, throw is a problem. I have been driving with the switch in the middle which lights up both the lamps in low beam, much more useful and brighter this way. No issues till now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Tell me about it! I was hoping the facelift would fix the weak headlight issue, but alas.
True. I had replaced the OE bulbs with Osram Night Racer Plus HSI lamps for our Vespa S125(dual filament). That improved the lighting by a big margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Activa 5G - boy those LEDs are a real pain in high beam!
That and the Dominar are a big irritant to have in your ORVMs!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
True. I had replaced the OE bulbs with Osram Night Racer Plus HSI lamps for our Vespa S125(dual filament). That improved the lighting by a big margin.
Thanks for the tip. Did you experience any heating issues with the night racers. I was searching for the right bulb to upgrade after a few days but there are known to be some reflector melting incidents as heard for the Aprilia SRs.

I was planning to change only the low beam bulb and check for a few days when I get to it.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:08   #29
BHPian

I realized that I have been doing a lot of riding lately so switched to a full face helmet as I started feeling kind of low on confidence when doing speeds above 70 on the brief bits of highway roads I pass through. The half face helmet I was using was bought because of the sole reason that it was just about a right fit in the under seat storage of my SR 150.

So started my search for a good helmet, the DOT certified helmets I tried out were too bulky and the size seemed to have been a hit or miss, at least on the ones I tried on anyway. Besides they looked disproportionate to the SR 150 as it is a pretty lean bike and looks visually smaller. Thus I bought what I thought to be the next best thing, An Steelbird SBA-1 Free Live (Or Live Free? confused terminology for sure) Helmet with a plain visor. The quality is pretty good according to me and the medium size on this helmet is a perfect fit. I wear specs and with the half face helmet putting on or removing the helmet was a breeze but with a full face one I have to follow a regimen of removing the specs first before going about the helmet steps. And I cannot scratch my nose if there is a need ever.

The helmet has some usable vents which I found to be very effective in passing on the required amount of air when riding and helps in keeping things cool out there. Will wait to see how it feels during the Hyderabad summers. The internal cushion layer can supposedly be taken out for a wash, not sure if we would ever need to do it frequently. Needless to say I feel much more confident in taking on the roads now.

For the price I paid it looks extremely value for money and might be the right choice for folks looking for a full face helmet under 2k.

Some pictures of the helmet.

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-50cc31c1d4f041e19f30c2ee2e4a7a03.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-88f7588d366744788b3758a4b2b8a41f.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-9921c45bf5de4bc98f93d256125e9cca.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-a36bc55edf944756ac7c30fde0fc2711.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-220ce826956a4880aea0843ff535f527.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-15176d4a4bda459aa0c3e11866b1333c.jpeg

Ownership Report: My 2018 Aprilia SR 150-e47bd6610ff749a6950db5f8218cc374.jpeg

Last edited by sandx : 25th January 2019 at 15:29.
Old 11th March 2019, 14:02   #30
BHPian

want to buy an Aprilia SR150 sport for me but the on-road price of INR 1,17,000 in Bengaluru has put me off :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks