Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 21:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

I did a 300km round trip to Kollam from Cochin.
The bike has crossed 500 kms now.

The highway riding was really delightful. The 2.5 hour trip to Kollam early morning was a treat.

I reached there fresh. No fatigue whatsoever.

As advised by most guru's I kept varying the rpm between 2500 and 4000. The 4000rpm runs we're just momentary. The bike has freed up noticeably.
Gear shift was butter smooth on the journey to Kollam.
The burbling of the twin pipes when you let go of the throttle is nice to hear. Engine is the sweetest in the 80-100 band @ 3000-4000rpm

However on the way back the soaring temperature made riding tedious and I also found rare occasions of notchy gear shifts. Also I got a ratling noise on rough roads from the front forks seems something is loose.

Filled up the tank in the morning and reset the trip. On the way back filled her up from the same station. She took in only 8.17l to fill her tank. Which is like 36.84kmpl something must have gone wrong. My Cl500 gives 26 at best of times.

Foot pegs from the beginning of my ownership experience has never been an issue for me. I have got used to the riding position too.

One major upgrade area that RE should be looking at is headlamps. They are not good enough. A clock and gear lever indicator would also have helped.

Will get first Service done tomorrow.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 25th February 2019 at 21:06. Reason: Typo
sureshkishore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 18:21   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
I don't own an Interceptor yet but I believe you could relocate the indicators to one of the slots on the flyscreen mount and use the existing indicator slot for aux lamps.
Let us know if it seems feasible!
Got the Rigid lights fitted on my bike now. They are Hyperspot D2 ones .. These are great lights.

Got this fitted at Singh Royal enfeild in Banerughatta road in Bangalore. I shall post the pics.

I have a short engine guard. Hence had to think about alternatives. It was very simple and fits just like TB. And mounts below the number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Most sensible option would be to get the OEM accessory large crash guard and use the auxiliary lamps n them. Most of the current Royal Enfield bikes use such a placement, and it is also quite effective without obstructing the vision of oncoming traffic.

Few examples from google -

Attachment 1850779

Attachment 1850780
Thanks Mate...
The Aux light fitments are simiar to that of TB, I shall post my pics. It would be helpful for some one who has short engine guard

Last edited by Eddy : 21st March 2019 at 18:45. Reason: Please do not post back to back posts within 30 minutes on the same thread. Please edit the previous one. Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 14:56   #78
BHPian

Interceptor 650

I recently got my interceptor and am looking for the following :

Adjustable levers, particularly for the clutch - its a big stretch for me to keep the thumb hooked to the bar and fingers on the stock lever

Bar risers or replacement bars to bring the bar slightly closer and higher. Not excessively so.

LED headlights and indicators but premium ones, that look good too.

If any of the readers have already sorted out these issues, please reply.
Old 10th May 2019, 21:10   #79
BHPian

Here is a rather rude update:
Not for Pillions at all.
In over 36 years of bike riding on two continents- I have never had such a miserable experience, where my pillion, my wife of 26 years, a partner on two marathon rides of 3000km+ (in just the last 2 years- Rajasthan and Sikkim+Bhutan) had to abandon a ride due to the miserable ergonomics of the Interceptor.
As much as we thought we could handle the bike- it was a disaster for the pillion.
So my question is- who are the ******* clowns in the R&D of RE who sold this size of seat, placement of pegs to the management, who is gloating over the sales numbers and the relative 'bullet-proofness' and reliability of the product.
I wrote to a strapping near 6' tall engineer/designer from the UK office and asked him-
"tell me, do you even fit on the damn bike? Brother, your wife, sister, companion, dog, mother or father on the rear?"
Needless to say, I have not heard from him yet.
I have given the bike to my son, and if hes single, then he will use it, if I get it back then it would mean hes not.
Sorry ergonomics. Mindless design.
#royalenfield #Royalenfieldtwins #interceptor650

The post is copied from my blog, where i had the liberty of some language.Suitably edited here.

Other Updates
1. Meanwhile, the GT650 pegs would be worse for me, as they are far more to the rear- So thats not an option. However, Indimotard is preparing to sell a 1000+ pieces of their foot peg relocation kit, which i hear is just a few days away from launch. It moves the pegs forward.
2. At average speeds of 100-105, the average returned was 26.5 steady, but due to the return journey being the bhorror story that it was, the average run speed was down to 70s and 80, actually riding more around the @3000 rpm mark, and the bike returned an average of 30KmpL.

But, coming to the point, if any of you is reading this to roam the wide country with a pillion, the answer is 'You cannot.'
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Not for Pillions at all.
The post is copied from my blog, where i had the liberty of some language.Suitably edited here.
'
Pray share the link to your blog - That may be a more interesting read!
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 11:09   #81
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Foot pegs from the beginning of my ownership experience has never been an issue for me. I have got used to the riding position too.
You can check the below as a possible solution:

https://indimotard.com/product/royal...ring-footpegs/
r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:42   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Not for Pillions at all.
Apart from the shoddy position of the pillion footrest, there's a high possibility of burning your foot on the exhaust. That's downright dangerous.

They should have provided heat shields at least. I can't comprehend why they are not offered by default, especially that that the Classic gets them.

I went for these extenders from Adv-Tribe. They might not have enhanced physical comfort, but have surely helped with mental comfort. I've stopped asking my wife every 10 minutes if her foot is fine.

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-int.jpg

A couple of other small upgrades have gone a long way in enhancing pillion comfort-
a) Firmer seat cushion, along with increased height for the pillion.
b) Backrest, purchased online from Zana.

It is now bearable for the pillion, maybe for a 3-hour ride at the most. But long distance touring? Not a chance.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 15:07   #83
BHPian

Has anyone tried the touring seats from RE itself ?

There are two options, I am looking at the Premium Touring Dual Seat

Review: My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-19904821280x1000.jp.jpg

It is far pricier than getting done from outside, hence may not make sense.
But want to know how they fair in the real world
Old 13th September 2021, 10:02   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post

Attachment 2181408

Did you try this out? I am also looking for this, but cannot find any review.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2181408

IMO a better option would be the seat from the Continental GT. There are some photos of the same in the Review Thread.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:49   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2181408

Had it on mine. Not impressed. My behind used to get very uncomfortable after some 150kms or so. For short bursts/city use it was good.

Most Viewed