Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:04   #1
BHPian

Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness

So folks, came across this article which supposedly did a study on how riding a motorcycle decreased the stress levels of the riders. Riding and Driving feels like different ends of the spectrum with each having its own kind of experiences to offer, but after reading through this article maybe I will take out my 2 wheeler more. Or does it mean only motorcycles.

Credit to respective owners. I have taken this from the harley-davidson site directly.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...s-Release.html

Some of the excerpts:

Riding a Motorcycle Improved Metrics of Focus and Decreased Stress Biomarkers, According to a New Neurobiological Study
Motorcyclists have long championed riding as their main road to stress relief and positive mental health. Today, the results of a neurobiological study conducted by a team of three researchers from UCLA’s Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior yielded pioneering scientific evidence revealing the potential mental and physical benefits of riding. Funded by Harley-Davidson, the study found that motorcycling increased metrics of focus and attention, and decreased relative levels of cortisol, a hormonal marker of stress.

Researchers recorded participants’ brain activity and hormone levels before, during, and after motorcycling, driving a car, and resting. While riding a motorcycle, participants experienced increased sensory focus and resilience to distraction. Riding also produced an increase in adrenaline levels and heart rate, as well as a decrease in cortisol metrics – results often associated with light exercise and stress-reduction.

Results Highlights:

● Riding a motorcycle decreased hormonal biomarkers of stress by 28%
● On average, riding a motorcycle for 20 minutes increased participants’ heart rates by 11 percent and adrenaline levels by 27 percent—similar to light exercise
● Sensory focus was enhanced while riding a motorcycle versus driving a car, an effect also observed in experienced meditators vs non-meditators
● Changes in study participants’ brain activity while riding suggested an increase in alertness similar to drinking a cup of coffee

Research Overview:

The research team monitored participants’ electrical brain activity and heart rate, as well as levels of adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol. To be presented later this year, the Harley-Davidson funded study, entitled “The mental and physical effects of riding a motorcycle” measured the biological and physiological responses of more than 50 experienced motorcyclists, using mobile EEG technology.
sandx is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 08:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Related Thread (Why motorcycling moves you?)

I 100% agree with the study and would say, not just riding, even driving has the same effects on the body + mind. I know because a good & enjoyable drive leaves me smiling, feeling better & happier. A fun drive / ride can be a mood booster, therapeutic & stress-reliever. Nothing quite like a late night drive in Bombay or a weekend drive on your favourite highway. Even early Sunday mornings around the city are terrific due to the empty roads.

Live To Drive / Ride
Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness-dsc03340.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2019 at 09:26.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b]

I 100% agree with the study and would say, not just riding, even driving has the same effects on the body + mind. I know because a good & enjoyable drive leaves me smiling, feeling better & happier. A fun drive / ride can be a mood booster, therapeutic & stress-reliever. Nothing quite like a late night drive in Bombay or a weekend drive on your favourite highway. Even early Sunday mornings around the city are terrific due to the empty roads.

Live To Drive / Ride
Attachment 1840378
Correct absolutely. A drive down some good roads always leaves a distinct sense of satisfaction, besides creating some memories to cherish in case we put some amount of kilometres. The end of a long trip makes for a feeling of elation arising out from being able to achieve what we planned for.

I think it also helps in enhancing the bonhomie between the participants if in a group. Can be either your spouse or a group of friends. If there is a study made on such a topic, I think I will definitely be proved right. Maybe there is one already
sandx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Riding or driving to popular destinations on long weekends is pretty stressful these days. Eg: Kodaikanal

Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness-day-3-21.jpg

But if one plans well and goes to destinations that nobody has heard of, then yeah - riding or driving is a great stress buster.

Riding & Nirvana: Study shows riding a motorcycle reduces stress & increases alertness-dsc03623.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

That article being conducted by Harley could sound biased to many. Easy to say that an ad from a toothpaste company says using our toothpaste gives good dental health. Similarly, my post may be biased for many or unbiased for a few as the community of riders & drivers are very less & seldom encouraged by many in this nation. Anyway, it makes more sense to share my experience in this kind of community than out anywhere in public...

Be it a simple Bangalore to Chennai or Dholavira to Chennai or Bombay to Chennai or riding through GQ, after having reached home, I've ALWAYS had only one feeling, why the hell did I reach home so soon? And be it a a 4 hour to 18 hours to 37 hours or even 5.5 days ride, I've never ever felt tired after reaching home. First thing after reaching home is to send messages to friends that I've reached home & thanks for showing their hospitality & waiting to return the favor. No, not even to remove the riding gears first. It takes atleast an hour for the excitement to settle down after a long ride, which is not just 4 hours, but even after 37 hours of ride.

Even a simple breakfast ride after a long time with friends & especially after saying bye & once you reach home & between the time you open the gate & park the bike, that's an elated feeling cannot be expressed in words; it's like a feeling you get seeing your baby on the first day after delivery. You have millions of random thoughts, but takes time to settle down before even getting excited.

Can I say the same about a drive? Partially yes, but on different accounts. I no longer feel excited for the regular Chennai - Trivandrum or Bangalore, probably they aren't that challenging except when it comes to crossing Silkboard or the kind of. But yes, when there's no motorcycle ride, a calm drive through less crowded road or less taken roads gives nearly the same feeling. Or even few days on road traveling through villages & smaller tier cities offer a great change in life as good as a life coach.

Personally to me, if motorcycle ride is meditation, then a drive is an orgasm
aargee is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:44   #6
BHPian

I wouldn't believe the results of a study that support the interests of the study's financial sponsor, also the opinion of car enthusiasts would be biased.
But there are a lot of people who aren't petrolheads by any standard and still feel calm and happy after a fun drive.

Last edited by dhruvdangi : 24th January 2019 at 11:51.
dhruvdangi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes! I totally relate to this as well.

I used to extensively ride motorcycles till about 30 yrs. Then, I gravitated more towards trucks and cars, which again I thoroughly enjoyed. But over the last decade I felt that I am travelling (even if driving) within a bubble. My mind would constantly delve on any on-going problems or challenges in life. My driving was mostly robotic and I could feel that my reaction times were beginning to slow down.
Then, 3 years back I started long distance cycling, and last year I started riding more on my motorcycle. Even picked up a new motorcycle. What I realised is that anything on two wheels is a much more inherently involving experience than anything on 4 wheels. My alertness levels have perceptibly gone up and my mind is fully focussed on the road and not on the rest of life.

This study might get biased by the opinions of Riders, but how would a non-rider even relate to what Riders experience on a saddle?
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Driving it is for me because the added risk that comes with riding a bike in our country is just not worth it.

I've heard from a lot of folks that when you ride you're exposed to the actual conditions around you, you feel a lot closer to nature etc. but I'd rather be a little comfortable during my drives, whether it is on smooth tarmac or 4-wheeling in snow. Not to mention, the chance of injuring myself (whether it is due to my mistake or someone else's) is very very less compared to if I was on a bike.

I've done few road trips where I did nothing but just drove and drove and drove for more than 2 weeks and enjoyed every minute of it. Driving has always been a great stress buster for me and even with a broken lower back I still enjoy my drives.

Riding comes with its own set of significant issues & risks and I don't think I'll ever be able to overlook them, no matter how thrilling riding can be.

Lastly, all my road trips have always been with my wife so its very important that she enjoys the travel as well. I just can't imagine making her ride pillion on a 12-hr journey, hence driving with your loved ones in comfort makes the journey even more satisfying.

I remember during my Ladakh trip, we were on our way to Wari La and the weather was pretty hostile. There was this couple stranded enroute because their bike couldn't take all the weight. I stopped and advised them to take the Agham-Shyok route because I could make out that the girl at the back was more exhausted than the rider up front.

Then there is this recent snow drive that I did. It was 2 feet of snow from Narkanda to Kufri and while I was enjoying every moment of cutting through snow with snow cables on, I saw one rider who was coming from Theog to Narkanda and he was struggling to move every meter given the heavy snow and black ice on road.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The key is traffic-free and scenic roads. Which represent less than 10% of my total time spent behind the wheel/on the bike. :(

The remaining 90% is stressful. Driving more so than riding. On the bike at least I can keep doing something, keep getting ahead. I loathe sitting in a car stuck in traffic, even with air-con and music!

Similarly, long rides/drives on boring expressways, while I'm grateful for the good road, are also a big yawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Riding or driving to popular destinations on long weekends is pretty stressful these days. Eg: Kodaikanal
Woah! Thanks for posting that. Every time I wonder if I'm missing out by avoiding travel on long weekends/school holiday season, I receive a reminder why it's a good idea to stay back during those times! A holiday like this is totally pointless (IMHO)! Will show this pic to my wife when she asks me why we always avoid these places during their 'best/high' seasons!

Last edited by am1m : 24th January 2019 at 12:56.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A biased "study" ; no surprises!

IMO Riding or Driving is irrelevant; it's travelling that's stress busting. it's seeing new places that's stress busting, it's meeting new people that's stress busting, it's getting away from the mundane that's stress busting, it's eating different cuisine that's stress busting, it's spending time with friends/family/children/oneself that's stress busting.

Riding is more risky than Driving and hence increase alertness. In our country however, both Driving and Riding comes with it's own risks and we have to be fully alert ALWAYS.

Enjoy your Drive/Ride guys
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:16   #11
BHPian

I just can't believe this. I was thinking about same thing this morning and thought to share with everyone and voila!!! Here is a ready-made thread waiting for my thoughts to pour in.

Driving is definitely a great stress buster for me. I drive 15 KMs (one way) everyday to reach my office and man I just love that grin on my face when I drive to office in morning.

I love driving 2.5 ton SUV like a BMX bike. Fast, zigzag. Drive to home in evening is opposite. Spending more time in idling and crawling rather than driving.
  • Had fight with better half, I will go for aimless night drive.
  • Not feeling well in office, I don't go to dorm, I take my vehicle out and go out for short spin.
  • If I am in good mood, I would put speakers on higher volume and will drive like Gaurav Gill.
  • When I am angry, I will switch off music system and will drive crazy fast. I know its wrong but I am doing this since my early age (read childhood) and old habits seldom die.

P.S. --> In no way I want to promote unethical / unlawful driving practices. I never break signals, I stop 2 foot before zebra crossing. I don't change lanes without indicators and looking in ORVMs. Please drive in safe limits and only do what you can handle.
dicor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:33   #12
BHPian

I had read this article in www.rideapart.com . There was another article from way back in 2009 that said that riding makes you smarter.

All said & done, riding is a highly engaging exercise in itself. It uses all your limbs, a fair degree of dexterity, significant amount of riding skill and sharpens your cognitive functions. Admittedly, one is exposed to the elements but the rider is also more aware of his/her surroundings - the colours are brighter and the senses, sharper. One can see, feel, hear and soak in much more on a two wheeler than in a car. I'd anyday prefer to be on a two wheeler - even the humble Activa, going up the serpentine roads in the hills with the sun on my face & the wind in my hair than in a car. But then, that's just me!

I still feel that despite our crazy traffic, witless drivers and weather that can swing to the extremes, riding a two wheeler, when one can get away from the hubbub of the urban sprawl can actually be therapeutic.

Cheers!
Ironhide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 16:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am in agreement with the study about riding motorcycle reducing stress and increasing alertness of one's surroundings and in general.

After a tiring day at work there is nothing as blissful as a 20-25 minutes short ride on a motorcycle at night. It really reduces the stress and makes one feel energetic due to adrenaline and excitement. Here I would also like to quote Yamaha's tagline, "Revs the Heart" while riding a motorcycle.

I have a car too but choose my motorcycle over it if I am going to be travelling solo or otherwise. Given that a motorcycle is inherently more risk prone and exposed to elements than a car, but then a motorcycle can take you places(unknown trails) a car can only dream of and mind you there are some narrow trails where even a 4X4 will have to stop and turn back. Although driving a car on nice empty highways with windows rolled down with one's favorite music playing is therapy. One thing I have learned is while driving a car I am more considerate and watchful towards the vulnerable motorcycle riders(but sometimes can't help against the helmetless morons zipping on their rickety bikes, scooters, etc. rashly and dangerously) as I too am a rider. Motorcycle riding has also taught me about the blind spots in a car, truck, bus and other heavy vehicles and how to approach and overtake them while maintaining a respectable safe distance.

A late night motorcycle ride on the streets of Bombay, especially South Bombay cannot be described in words. For example, while riding stopping near a tea/coffee vendor and having sips of hot tea/coffee on a cold breezy night in Bombay in pure bliss. What I love about Bombay is that the city never sleeps and night is the best time to have a feel of it, and riding on a motorcycle at night is a cherry on cake(Pre Ola/Uber days it was even more exciting as the roads were relatively empty at that hour).

Last edited by navin_v8 : 24th January 2019 at 16:36.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 17:10   #14
BHPian

I downloaded the actual report and read it. I feel that the sample is small and the scope very narrow. Yet its good to see our own experince as a biker validated in a scientific study. I hope similar study is carried out in india while also taking into consideration the type of motorcycle which is being ridden. How would a Duke 390 would compare against a more laid back bike like a Bullet 350.[ATTACH=Motorcycle-Study-Research-Results.pdf]1840447[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motorcycle-Study-Research-Results.pdf (522.6 KB, 485 views)

Last edited by gauravanekar : 24th January 2019 at 17:11.
gauravanekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 17:36   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
IMO Riding or Driving is irrelevant
Journey is more important than destination? Maybe not for you and for friends who echo similar thoughts as you, but while I look forward to seeing a new place, if I am riding [or driving, first mode preferred], its the journey that is more important to me.

Going up and down the hills, redlining in 2nd, apexing corners and corners and endless corners, it can not be explained. Very early morning, hands are numb, bike has thin ice sheet, it takes few cranks to bring it to life, warm it and then, its nirvana/orgasm, whatever you call it. I forget everything, family joys/sorrows, hunger, aiming for corner, perfecting it, braking, trying to perfectly corner and WOT till the next one.

Cruising on good highways is good too, but not patch of what you can do on hills.

I absolutely abhor commuting, so I get few POV's.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks