Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Which riding school do you think offers the best learning experience and the most value for money?
CSS - The California Superbike School (Chennai) 14 36.84%
RACR – Rajini Academy of Competitive Racing (Chennai) 9 23.68%
Apex Racing Academy (Coimbatore) 8 21.05%
T.W.O - Throttle Wide Open (Coimbatore) 15 39.47%
Atomic Motorsports Riding School (Coimbatore) 0 0%
Top Gun India Riding Academy (Mumbai) 9 23.68%
Honda Ten 10 (Bangalore I think, but not sure) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2019, 08:12   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Riding school session for Team-BHPians

Guys, would suggest that we head down South for a proper race track. Or the Buddh, if anyone has riding days / training there. Let's skip the smaller ones in Kolhapur / Mumbai etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 09:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Or the Buddh, if anyone has riding days / training there.
Haven't heard of riding schools at the Buddh circuit + it might be way too fast a circuit for us newbies.

CSS or TWO seems to be the best option.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Haven't heard of riding schools at the Buddh circuit + it might be way too fast a circuit for us newbies.

I voted for these two as well. Along with Top Gun as an outlier just for the proximity factor.

Personally, I have already signed up for the August end CSS. Although I've now sold my Striple, plan to do it on the CSS provided 200 cc TVS Apache. IMO that's a capable enough bike when the focus is on learning and it might even help that its not a bigger bike to that end. Punchy enough for you to push through the corners too.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 13:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Buddh is pretty costly compared to above two tracks.

You can also consider Apex Racing. They are pretty competent. I have done 2 Levels and one open session with them at Kari & MMRT.

They usually conducts at Kari and yes, they provide bikes for rent and gears too. Please note textile jackets/pants are frowned upon and not allowed by Anil(Apex racing academy, founder). He insists on leathers. I bought a one piece full suit on his insistence. .

They transport bikes from Bangalore, so bangloreans can use this facility

Kari being in Coimbatore has better accommodation facilities compared to MMRT.

CSS is the best for newbies. They conducts Level 1 , 2 & 3 in one go. Also they usually conduct training in February, but this year they are conducting in august too. Just noted that August session by CSS includes level 1 & 2 only.

Last edited by Vasuki : 1st April 2019 at 13:09.
Vasuki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 17:42   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, would suggest that we head down South for a proper race track. Or the Buddh, if anyone has riding days / training there. Let's skip the smaller ones in Kolhapur / Mumbai etc.
Agreed. No point in half measures. Either do it properly or don’t do it at all.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I voted for these two as well. Along with Top Gun as an outlier just for the proximity factor.

Personally, I have already signed up for the August end CSS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Buddh is pretty costly compared to above two tracks.

You can also consider Apex Racing. They are pretty competent. I have done 2 Levels and one open session with them at Kari & MMRT.
A comment followed by a noob question. I am not averse to having fun. But that said, I am not looking to get into track racing. I just want to learn proper techniques for riding safely and for safely going fast. So, my focus would be on a training session that teaches us to be become better versions of ourselves out on real world roads.

Which one of the schools above cater to a rider with my requirements? Do all of them? Or do all of them for people who do track riding as an amateur and / professional pursuit?

Incidentally, I think Coimbatore would be a lot cooler weather wise. Chennai is way too hot most of the time. There isn’t even a cool month (or even a cool week) here or there.**

So it may be better for us to choose a Coimbatore based school for the sessions. Anyways I suppose that we can decide that when we vote on sessions in a subsequent thread. FYI, I will wait for 30 or 35 individual participants in this poll before I choose the top three finalists in riding schools and open the next thread showing their offerings over the next few months.

**This may sound rich coming from me when our weather here in Mumbai is no better really. But I would know. My association with Chennai is longer than the one I have with Mumbai.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I will wait for 30 or 35 individual participants in this poll before I choose the top three finalists in riding schools and open the next thread showing their offerings over the next few months.
Thanks mohansrides for taking this initiative! I have always had this urge to participate in track days and got a tiny taste of it during KTM track day in Mumbai which I found more taxing physically than expected! That being said, I have refrained from participating in the poll simply because I have little knowledge about any of the academies. As for location, I would obviously prefer Mumbai but I don't think riding on some makeshift track will be anywhere close in terms of experience to riding on a proper track in Chennai or Coimbatore.

Also, from the cost perspective, I again have little information to actually vote but I believe it is somewhere between 20-30k with CSS running a bit higher. I would request others to share more on this.

I could never muster courage and motivation for this earlier and push from teambhpians will prove to be that much needed catalyst! Please count me in on this!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 18:36   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A comment followed by a noob question. I am not averse to having fun. But that said, I am not looking to get into track racing. I just want to learn proper techniques for riding safely and for safely going fast. So, my focus would be on a training session that teaches us to be become better versions of ourselves out on real world roads.

Which one of the schools above cater to a rider with my requirements? Do all of them? Or do all of them for people who do track riding as an amateur and / professional pursuit?
I am not doing the course to ever ride on a track in any capacity. To my mind, most of these courses will make you a more technically proficient and skilled rider, using the track as a safe controlled environment.

Better technical skill = better on the road.

Unless a course or level is specifically training you to be a pro / amateur racer, in my mind all of the above courses are for people like you and me trying to become better everyday recreational riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

Also, from the cost perspective, I again have little information to actually vote but I believe it is somewhere between 20-30k with CSS running a bit higher. I would request others to share more on this.
CSS is perhaps the costliest of the lot and a 3 day course there costs approximately 60-70k. I know the Aug edition is at slightly lower than previous prices and is pegged at 60k - that cost is the same whether you bring your own bike or use their bike.

If you are trucking your own bike from Bbay / Pune instead of riding, budget another 15k or so (back of the envelope) assuming you tie up with other riders too.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st April 2019 at 18:39.
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
A I just want to learn proper techniques for riding safely and for safely going fast. So, my focus would be on a training session that teaches us to be become better versions of ourselves out on real world roads.
These training will definitely help in your overall riding skills. These instructors are pretty disciplined and doesn't encourage any fancy stuff. Earlier someone commented that they would not like to ride with big bikes in the track, but I say from my experiences it is much much safer to ride and practice in tracks than anywhere else.( I have taken my Z800 and have also ridden on ninja 300 provided by school in these tracks). Lot of technical details are given which helps us in our day today road riding too. Level 1 and Level 2 mostly cater to basics. From Level 3 onward more importance is given to racing techniques.

Don't worry you'll be not be cast into Marquez's cloth after these sessions

Quote:
Incidentally, I think Coimbatore would be a lot cooler weather wise. Chennai is way too hot most of the time. There isn’t even a cool month (or even a cool week) here or there.**
Yes MMRT is very hot, but Kari, Coimbatore is not any better maybe just slightly. Anyway track temperatures are always on the higher side. MMRT has better facilities compared to Kari, you can cool off in an AC room.

Quote:
I am not doing the course to ever ride on a track in any capacity. To my mind, most of these courses will make you a more technically proficient and skilled rider, using the track as a safe controlled environment.

Better technical skill = better on the road.

Unless a course or level is specifically training you to be a pro/amateur racer, in my mind all of the above courses are for people like you and me trying to become better everyday recreational riders.
Amen.

Quote:
CSS is perhaps the costliest of the lot and a 3 day course there costs approximately 60-70k. I know the Aug edition is at slightly lower than previous prices and is pegged at 60k - that cost is the same whether you bring your own bike or use their bike.

CSS is not costly, Yes you definitely pay more in one go. Earlier for 70K they used to cover Level 1, 2 & 3 together. Now for 60K, August session, they are doing both Level 1 & 2. For other schools say Apex they charge around 29K for one Level.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd April 2019 at 14:27. Reason: Typo corrected. aroung -> around
Vasuki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:14   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like off road motorcycling schools are a lot LOT cheaper! Lol! This kind of money (60k-70k) can net you some serious apex predator gear.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd April 2019 at 12:15.
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looks like off road motorcycling schools are a lot LOT cheaper! Lol! This kind of money (60k-70k) can net you some serious apex predator gear.
Haha - that's true but I guess there are a lot of add on costs like renting a track that have to be factored for road / track bike training. Whereas its easier to find off roading friendly locations for the training. Plus I think at some level the demand for track training is perhaps higher.

Quote:
CSS is not costly, Yes you definitely pay more in one go. Earlier for 70K they used to cover Level 1, 2 & 3 together. Now for 60K, august session, they are doing both Level 1 & 2. For other schools say Apex they charge around 29K for one Level.
You're absolutely right and that's an important aspect I should have clarified.

I just meant in absolute outflow terms its the priciest but they do cover two levels in that cost and you have a solid set of instructors including some from their overseas schools as well I think.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd April 2019 at 22:14. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:49   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Having knowledge does not always translate into being able to impart knowledge.
True that. I once read something similar on the Internet and I've uttered those words many times since:

"If you wanna be like Rossi, you don't go to Rossi. You go to Rossi's trainer."
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:48   #27
BANNED

Quote:
These training will definitely help in your overall riding skills......Lot of technical details are given which helps us in our day today road riding too. Level 1 and Level 2 mostly cater to basics. From Level 3 onward more importance is given to racing techniques.
Thank you for this detailed breakdown. Yes, I think level 1 and 2 are more than sufficient for me.

Quote:
Yes MMRT is very hot, but Kari, Coimbatore is not any better maybe just slightly. Anyway track temperatures are always on the higher side. MMRT has better facilities compared to Kari, you can cool off in an AC room.
This is great information sir. Better facilities will generally translate into a better experience.

Quote:
CSS is not costly, Yes you definitely pay more in one go. Earlier for 70K they used to cover Level 1, 2 & 3 together. Now for 60K, August session, they are doing both Level 1 & 2. For other schools say Apex they charge around 29K for one Level.
Indeed.

All in all, I am fervently hoping that we can finalize a school and sign up at least 10 people from the forum. That may make it possible for us to get some money off. Let's see.
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:50   #28
Team-BHP Support

This is not to take away from the more elaborate plan being discussed here but just fyi see image in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Riding school session for Team-BHPians-89ec5147fc2a446fa80657c8f97f728c.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just fyi see image in case anyone is interested.
Thanks, have contacted Vikrant Ghate of Top Gun India. Reporting time is 7:15am on sat, 27th and that is a bit problematic if I have to ride from Pune that day. For me, track length isn't an issue and 'slow is fast'. Still in 2 minds.

In other news, here is team R.A.C.R. training session on 15th May.

Riding school session for Team-BHPians-racr.jpg
Old 4th April 2019, 07:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

No experience here, but based on pure gut feel, i would just choose RACR, because its the only indian school owned and run by a professional racer focused on pure track racing training.

I also think most other schools seem to be running on advertising fumes (which is why they need your exorbitant fees).
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed