Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 00:06   #1

Yet another "First Motorcycle?" query

Greetings, BHPians!

It would be best to preface this post with a little context. I'd also like to apologize if this post seems immature/too short, or if I've broken any rules while writing this.

I'm about to purchase (and own) my first bike. I've ridden a fair few in the past 2 years, the longest ride being a 250km stint to Coorg on a friend's FZ25. I've decided that bikes are the way to travel, at least for the foreseeable future: Few feelings come close to the one of exhilaration when you wring the throttle and go zooming past people on the highway

Having said that, I still haven't had the chance to actually own a bike, mainly because I was still in college until 2017, and then freelanced for a year, which let me just about pay bills at home. But now I've finally got a job that at least lets me pay for a bike in EMIs, and I've been in a fix as to which one to get.

I shall be brief about what I'm looking for, and the problems I currently face:
  • Something that lets me hit the highways, and do a spot of offroading.
  • Something that isn't a pain to fix at local garages.
  • Something that ideally costs INR 1-1.5L. I know that this is nowhere near a good enough budget for a tourer, and I don't mind a bike that doesn't blaze roads or is a bit uncomfortable for longer durations.
The choices even within this range are one too many. With difficulty, here are the choices I've currently narrowed down to:
  1. 2019 Hero Xpulse 200: Still not launched in showrooms, and early reviews say it's not the best on the highway. But ergonomics, suspension setup, and offroad capabilities look amazing. This is the bike I'm leaning towards the most.
  2. Bajaj NS 200: A 6-speed street fighter from a brand that's known for good performance and cheap servicing, but also not very refined engines and so-so reliability (which means cheap servicing will also be frequent servicing).
  3. TVS Apache RTR200: A 5 speed power commuter that can also possibly be used on the highways. Any critical feedback about this one would be appreciated!
  4. A USED KTM Duke 200: I'd like to avoid used bikes as much as possible (despite a few veteran bikers insisting I get a used first bike). But I've ridden the D200 and know it for the pocket rocket that it is.
I think I've scoured nearly every "which bike to get" thread on the forum by now, and also the very informative thread on a big vs small bike for hitting the highways: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/204117-big-vs-small-touring-bikes.html (Big vs Small Touring Bikes)

But I always end up going through the same reviews, the same statistics and user reports, and come out of them a confused person.

I'm also very much an inexperienced biker, since I've never actually owned one (my current ride is a 2014 Yamaha Ray Z). And there's a long, long way to go in learning the works.

So I turn to this lovely forum, hoping that someone more experienced can help me in finding "the one", because I'm having a tough time finding "him" on my own! Many thanks in advance!
T.U.P is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 06:23   #2
BHPian

re: Yet another "First Motorcycle?" query

Welcome to the community & welcome to the world of motorcycles. Any specific reason for you to keep FZ250 out of your list? It is a very capable bike & is well with in your budget. Is it just because your friend has it & you want some exclusivity or is it because of some other reason?

From your list, I would go with Xpulse 200 keeping your off roading requriements in mind although I would wait for at least 6 months after the first lot is delivered before booking one.
Engine_Roars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 07:55   #3
BHPian

I would suggest Pulsar NS 200 in your consideration list.
I used to own a As200 so I know a fair bit about the motorcycle.

Pros:
1. By far the best highway machine in your list, The gear ratios are perfectly complemented to the engine character. This bike has good top end performance compared to Apache 200, also it has a taller top gear
2. Contrary to most online review current generation engine is fairly refined for a single cylinder engine, may not be as good as Honda or a Suzuki, but surely it is refined.
3. Good highway fuel efficiency
4. Tall rider seat is good for touring.
5. Comfy suspension and chassis
6. Fuel efficiency ranges between 35 and 40 kmpl depending on riding style.
7. Its a solidly build motorcycle with a chassis which can handle much bigger engine and much more power, consequently there is 'zero' flex in the chassis in all kinds of riding be it cornering or off road.

Cons:
1. Low ground clearance coupled with long wheelbase makes it unsuitable for offroading, but the rest of the bikes character yields well for offroading. One can cruise fairly comfortable on mud trails , forest trails or gravel trails as long as there are no bike boulders to be climbed.
2. My bike engine was broken-in in an unconventional hard break in method, the engine started leaking after 37000km on ODO, in hindsight I believe the engine would not have failed on me if I had taken good care initially by following normal breaking-in method.
3. Cylinder head is very hard to access, its definitely one of the few motorcycles under 2Lakh range which is hard to service. Routine service is as easy as any other motorcycle except for air filter change.

Overall I would definitely suggest you to buy this bike and take good care of it.
gauravanekar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 09:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a tourer with Offroading too, then, suggest you extend your budget by another 50-60 K and go with Dominar.

If you go with EMI option, you wont feel the heat too much since the spread will be for 4-5 years.

But, you wont regret the decision. A super tourer bike with fabulous pickup and performance. Not an expensive one for maintenance.

PS: I am telling this after being in honda Family for 15 years and coming to Bajaj since last 3 months. Although I miss the smoothness of Honda, I still feel, this is a good decision and upgrade from Unicorn.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:02   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.U.P View Post
[*] Something that lets me hit the highways, and do a spot of offroading.
If only a spot of off-roading is what you're looking at then any motorcycle would do, I've seen experienced middle aged rider's off-road on a Honda CBR250R and Yamaha R3 even.

Hence clip-on would not be an issue.

Quote:
[*] Something that isn't a pain to fix at local garages.
You need to strictly stay away from Liquid Cooling and Fuel Injection.

Because an air-cooled carbureted motorcycle can be fixed by just about anyone, you could forgo warranty by skipping service(my usual choice) and DIY to save up on costs that you could redirect to pay your EMI, service at the ASC in India is unsatisfactory to begin with and if it's a pre-KTM Bajaj you're looking at then the money saved from getting periodic service done at the ASC is enough to buy a new engine.

Quote:
[*]Something that ideally costs INR 1-1.5L. I know that this is nowhere near a good enough budget for a tourer, and I don't mind a bike that doesn't blaze roads or is a bit uncomfortable for longer durations.
The only viable option you have is the Bajaj Pulsar 220F, which has kinda become more alluring after the 200's started being known for their below par fuel efficiency, sans the NS200.

I've been riding one from 2015 and has clocked a tad over 40k kms, I beat the shit out of the motorcycle day in and out, off-road, no-road you name it.

And I redline her every chance I get mostly in the first couple of gears, and yet other than consumables and mods I've not had to pay for anything that had gone bad in spite of the abuse.

All in all, still makes sense if hauling ass reliably and economically is your priority in 2019.

Here's mine, picture snapped from a short ride we did yesterday.

Yet another "First Motorcycle?" query-img20190526wa0052.jpg

Both are P220's though the Red one was born a P150 UG3.

P.S. I've not mentioned quite a few DIY maintenance benefits the P220 has over the R15, KTM, NS etc. To sum it up, the P220 is DIY friendly where's on the others you would have to practically take apart the motorcycle for periodic maintenance.

The only stupid part of P220 maintenance is having to take the fuel tank(or front wheel) off to change HL bulbs. Kinda feels like Bajaj trolled us on this front by making everything else easy and screwing us on this.

Then again the HL performance is worth the hassle, arguably still the best in the business.

Cheers,
A.P.

P.P.S. I'm not a fanboy!

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 27th May 2019 at 10:27.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yet another "First Motorcycle?" query

Quote:
A USED KTM Duke 200
Quote:
I'm also very much an inexperienced biker, since I've never actually owned one (my current ride is a 2014 Yamaha Ray Z). And there's a long, long way to go in learning the works.
For this reason alone, avoid any & all used options. I'm a big pre-owned machine fan, but will be the first to say it's only for those who have a certain level of familiarity with cars / bikes, understand the process and a good network of workshops available.

Used isn't an option for you. Buy new & ride safe .
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I shall be brief about what I'm looking for, and the problems I currently face:
  • Something that lets me hit the highways, and do a spot of offroading.
  • Something that isn't a pain to fix at local garages.
  • Something that ideally costs INR 1-1.5L. I know that this is nowhere near a good enough budget for a tourer, and I don't mind a bike that doesn't blaze roads or is a bit uncomfortable for longer durations.
T.U.P, you have done a good job with listing your requirements and your shortlisted motorcycles. I will suggest that based on your background, you should go with a brand new motorcycle. The peace of mind that you will get for the first few years of ownership will be invaluable and you can pick up some technical skills along the way, if you are so inclined.

Now coming to the motorcycles, you do have a pretty good budget. If you run through the different offerings from the big manufacturers
Bajaj - The NS200 should fall safely into your budget. Its a really good bike, I feel the competition is a little better.
Hero - The XPulse looks like a smashing little motorcycle platform. The feedback from some of the senior members here on the forum has been good. Definitely should be on your radar.
Honda - The XBlade isnt up to the mark as compared to the others in this battle so its out of contention. The CBR250 is too expensive.
TVS - The RTR200 4V Race Edition is probably the most feature packed sub Rs 1.5 lakh motorcycle in the market today. Dual channel ABS, a slipper clutch and anti stoppie technologies make this an attractive proposition.
Suzuki - The updated Gixxer 150 looks promising and the feedback from journalists is that it is more fun than the new 250 offering from Suzuki. The first generation one was a great little bike as well.
Yamaha - Im not sure if the expensive Yamahas fall into your budget but if you are looking at the FZ25 or the MT 15 or R15 V3, please do check the headlight output of the bikes before making a decision. The FZ25's lights appear to be weakest of the three. I havent ridden any of them but this is what I noticed. Least VFM among all your options.

Personally, I would pick the TVS RTR 200 4V Race Edition. But for your usage, I would say the Bajaj NS200, Hero Xpulse 200 and RTR 200 4V should be your top 3. Test ride all three and buy. Please dont get dissuaded by a poor sales experience and ditch any motorcycle only on the basis of that. Since the manufacturers have many showrooms in Bangalore, do head out to other showrooms that will let you test ride the same bike properly. And save some money for good riding gear as well. All the best for your motorcycle purchase.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 16:41   #8

Many thanks to everyone for their insights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Welcome to the community & welcome to the world of motorcycles. Any specific reason for you to keep FZ250 out of your list? It is a very capable bike & is well with in your budget. Is it just because your friend has it & you want some exclusivity or is it because of some other reason?
Thank you! I LOVE the FZ25. To bits. Was blown away on the Coorg ride. but right now the ABS variant has been bumped up to around 1.8L/- OTR, and then the Dominar is not very far off from that price point. I'd ideally like to stick to 1.5L or just get the Domi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I would suggest Pulsar NS 200 in your consideration list.
I used to own a As200 so I know a fair bit about the motorcycle.
The NS was my first and final choice...until I rode the Dominar, FZ25 and then all the other bikes in the ~200cc segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If you are looking for a tourer with Offroading too, then, suggest you extend your budget by another 50-60 K and go with Dominar.
I really love the Dominar, and I honestly think the 2019 variant is all the bike I'll ever need for the next decade or so. But my finances are still a bit unstable now, and so I'm not sure. Thought is to either be conservative and get a smaller bike, then upgrade, or just go crazy and book this one and keep quiet for the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The only viable option you have is the Bajaj Pulsar 220F, which has kinda become more alluring after the 200's started being known for their below par fuel efficiency, sans the NS200.
I've considered the P220 but not seriously. The NS's 6th gear makes me lean towards it, and they're both more or less the same price OTR now. Maybe I'll test ride both side by side and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For this reason alone, avoid any & all used options. I'm a big pre-owned machine fan, but will be the first to say it's only for those who have a certain level of familiarity with cars / bikes, understand the process and a good network of workshops available.
Used isn't an option for you. Buy new & ride safe .
Definitely will stay away from pre-owned then! Many thanks, I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Personally, I would pick the TVS RTR 200 4V Race Edition. But for your usage, I would say the Bajaj NS200, Hero Xpulse 200 and RTR 200 4V should be your top 3. Test ride all three and buy. Please dont get dissuaded by a poor sales experience and ditch any motorcycle only on the basis of that. Since the manufacturers have many showrooms in Bangalore, do head out to other showrooms that will let you test ride the same bike properly. And save some money for good riding gear as well. All the best for your motorcycle purchase.
I shall! Problem is the Xpulse hasn't launched yet and Bangalore seems to hvae ZERO Hero showrooms (they're there but I have to go on a treasure hunt to find them). Thank you!

Also, if there are showrooms for each manufacturer that you folks would recommend, please do, so far not a single showroom I've visited from all brands except KTM Mekhri circle were either just quickly looking to make a sale or not giving an F (I'm looking at you, Kalyani Bajaj!) about a potential customer.

Many thanks once again!
Old 27th May 2019, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thought is to either be conservative and get a smaller bike, then upgrade, or just go crazy and book this one and keep quiet for the next decade.
Hi T.U.P,

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest you take a look at the Gixxer too.

1. As you start riding regularly on your first bike, there will be certain aspects of motorcycling that you will enjoy more than the others. For example, you may prefer cornering more than off-roading or highway cruising.

2. The Gixxer is the perfect first bike for our conditions. You can maintain a cruising speed of 90-100 on the highway, learn to carve corners with aplomb and even take it off road! All this with the famed Japanese refinement and reliability! Maintenance and fuel efficiency wise too the Suzuki will not make a dent on your pocket. The Gixxer will allow you to experience all aspects of motorcycling and then you can decide whether you want to upgrade to a highway cruiser like the Dominar or a corner carver like the KTM 390's.

3. I hear that the naked Gixxer will be updated soon, so you may even get a good deal on the current models thereby saving money that you can use to buy good riding gear.

4. Test ride ALL the options around your budget. Because test rides have a way of rendering all prior research redundant. Do let us know what you choose.

P.S: I'm a Gixxer owner since the last 3 and a half years with almost 70k KM's on the odo.
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 18:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you have a budget problem and love the FZ 25 / Dominar, why not wait a bit and grab a pre-owned one (current gen) at 1.5L or lesser? There are always fortunate or unfortunate souls who sell off almost brand new bikes for a good price.

I bought a pre-worshipped CBR 250 (2013) in May 2017 and clocked 10,000 kms in 1 year. And for the record, I may not have done more than 1000 kms of biking altogether in my entire life before the CBR came. And I managed the bike in all of 80K!! All I needed was a good mechanic to go to and I do Chennai - Bangalore or use one of the rides to get the service done (once in 6 months). Its a riot on highways, returns upto 40 kmpl if you ride in the 60-80 kmph and and sure 30 kmpl in 100-120 kmph range. May not suit the off-roading bit.

Or you could wait a bit to see if Suzuki brings in the naked 250. Have ridden the Gixxer 150 and its such a nice machine but tops out at arou d 100 (without strain) on highways. If you insist, it will go on some more.

Having said these, I'll still suggest on option 1 in my post just for the factor you are in love with FZ / Dominar. If you are going to keep the bike for a decade, go for the one which you LOVE, even if to stretch your budget a bit. Else, it'll haunt you always till you get what you want!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th May 2019 at 18:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 18:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Some good advice already. I would also add that choose a motorcycle that is a little more beginner friendly (that doesn't mean it has to be boring). KTM for e.g. are bikes that are very edgy and on the boil. I would not recommend them to a new rider. Take something that's a little more forgiving, I would place a premium also on presence of electronic aids to the extent possible in that budget - again, always reassuring as a new rider (ABS, disc brakes etc).
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 20:01   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I've considered the P220 but not seriously. The NS's 6th gear makes me lean towards it, and they're both more or less the same price OTR now. Maybe I'll test ride both side by side and see.
If you'd said you're leaning towards the NS for its handling then that would've made sense, the number of gears argument is pointless especially since the final drive ratio of the P220 is taller than that of the NS.

A closer look at the per gear ratios would give you an idea of what is being covered up with the help of that extra gear spread.

Hint: Below part low end performance.

Though a wonderful bike the NS is not a beginner friendly motorcycle, when most of the regular maintenance on a P220 can be done with ease by a guided toddler, the NS requires a lot of things to be pulled apart.

1. Air filter Change : Remove fuel tank.
2. Spark Plug Change : Remove fuel tank.
3. Chain Set Change : Remove swingarm.
etc...

After all this comes the hassle of the Liquid Cooling, like the KTM's the NS lacks the drain port in the mechanical seal cavity, hence one seal goes for a toss, you'd not know and if you miss to note the temperature warning light then you're heading for a partial seizure at the least.

The list goes on, hence unless you're certain this won't be an issue then all is well.

Choose wisely.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:55   #13

Updating this thread:

The Hero Xpulse for some reason has been evading me. Every showroom I've been calling is shooing me away with "It'll come in the next 10 days". So It's between the NS200 and RTR200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

Though a wonderful bike the NS is not a beginner friendly motorcycle, when most of the regular maintenance on a P220 can be done with ease by a guided toddler, the NS requires a lot of things to be pulled apart.

The list goes on, hence unless you're certain this won't be an issue then all is well.

Choose wisely.
A.P.
I'm being a fool, but my mind has been made up at least about the NS/RTR. Just not sure which one to pick from those.

Also, mentioning this here since I couldn't find any way to send a message on T-BHP, I'd sent you a message on Facebook, hope you don't mind! If you don't use Facebook often, is there any other way I could contact you?
Old 27th June 2019, 08:10   #14
BANNED

Quote:
I'm being a fool, but my mind has been made up at least about the NS/RTR. Just not sure which one to pick from those.
That's a tricky question, what do you prefer robustness or fuel efficiency?

Over all ownership costs would remain more or less the same, what the NS makes up for in FE it loses out on maintenance costs.

Quote:
lso, mentioning this here since I couldn't find any way to send a message on T-BHP, I'd sent you a on Facebook, hope you don't mind! If you don't use Facebook often, is there any other way I could contact you?

Haven't been on FB for over a year.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th June 2019 at 09:24. Reason: Removed mobile no - please PM details , this is for your security and privacy
Old 1st July 2019, 12:49   #15
BHPian

So, you need to just choose between NS200 and RTR200. My recommendation is to go for RTR200. RTR will fetch better resale price when you upgrade after 5yrs (assuming you will not keep it for next 10yrs). It is easier to find a mechanic and spare parts on a long tour to fix an RTR, especially if you are heading towards south of Bangalore. Go for carburetor version, you will save some money.

Both TVS and Bajaj are equally bad in after sales service. So find a good workshop (assuming you are not into DIY maintenance). Again, you will spend money only on the necessary labour/parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks