Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 17:01   #16

Re: UM Motorcycles - The way forward?

I was seriously considering to test drive the UM - Renegade last year. A couple of serious turns offs though-
1. when I did my research online, there were lot of posts that said this vehicle is more Chinese than American and that the quality is a gamble. In fact, one of my friends showed me a link (that I don't have now) that these vehicles are delivered through online shopping in China through Ali Baba.
2. tried calling their dealership in Chennai to inquire about their product line up, test ride availability etc; the salesperson did not even tell the location properly, let alone a canned response. While the later is acceptable as I can assume the person is a newcomer to the city (though unacceptable professionally), the cold response was a turn off.
3. Lastly, icing on the cake that made against this brand - there are two cruise motorbikes in my office parking area, one a Harley Davidson and the UM- Renegade (a serious attention grabber). Few weeks ago, there were four persons along with the owner of the UM vehemently trying to push and start this one in the basement area. I was amused and the owner complained with a disdain that it doesn't start and thinking how to take it to the service station.
This was a final nail in the coffin, I junked the decision to go into this brand, that's my personal experience.
mahalingam_a is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:59   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The sales chart shows something typical of the car market. That is, when conditions are tough, it's the weakest who get wiped out first (look at Nissan India). I'm not a biker but if I was, I'd never consider such a brand. More than in cars, mechanical reliability is of paramount important in a motorcycle. If something fails in a car, you crash. The same in a bike means an injury or worse. No way would I bet my life on a bike made by such an unknown brand.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:16   #18
BHPian

Obviously the way forward for the brand is to cut their losses & quit the market.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have heard a rattling UM motorcyle while riding a bullet. Was making strange noises and the metal mudguards were shaking. I could hear it while my bullet went on thumping. I pitied the owner, but I had no idea they used to cost so close to the RE.

I think there is "NO" way forward for UM mootorcycles. Even if they now offer 10 times better quality, its game over for them. First impression is the last impression here.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 21:39   #20
BHPian

I never considered them to be serious contenders just like AMW was never going to be serious contender in HCV industry. Both are jugaad companies assembling imported crap with one of them faking roots in the US.

UML will be another NPA for banks and small time gullible entrepreneurs who invested in their dealerships.
Theyota is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:39   #21
BHPian

I test rode this motorcycle in the early days. It was a rather Stupid motorcycle and was bound to fail. I felt i was sitting on some industrial generator or borewell pump, such funny sounds it made and the parts, fit and finish etc were all so cheap so as to cut the price as much as possible. It was a really cheap effort and indians are no fools..
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 13:07   #22
BHPian

Another indication that things are going South is that existing owners may be trying to sell their UM machines but perhaps getting no takers.

I have one story which may be illustrative.

When I was checking out UM machines, I asked the showroom staff to sync me up with existing owners and they sent me 1 reference of a guy who they said was having a great experience with the bike. I spoke to him and he said he was quite satisfied etc.

Last week that owner called me and asked me if I was still searching for a bike as he wanted to sell his machine.

I suspect the same story is playing out across UM bike owners across India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That's because of the following reasons:
1. Jawa is a famous and known brand in India.
2. They have backing from Mahindra.
Just imagine that it was not Classic legends but UML who brought out Jawa and of course without Anand Mahindra's backing.

I will venture a guess that the Jawa would have bombed.

In my opinion, Mahindra's credibility and backing of the Jawa was the single biggest differentiator. Without him Classic Legends is like UML, just an unknown name. But with him behind it, even though there were no bikes to be seen on the road, not even production machines at the time of the Jawa launch, people (including moi) flocked to book the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
3. Quality, Fit and Finish are light years ahead.
Till mid December even pre-production models of the Jawa were not available. Everything was on trust.

Subsequently there were pre-production bikes for test rides which had ugly weals, wires hanging etc.

It is only since last month that we are seeing production bikes and that too just a trickle.

My point is that even though this was the case, still Jawa got sold out.

The credibility of who backs you is important.

Last edited by bevivek : 25th June 2019 at 13:29. Reason: Merging multiple posts
bevivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 13:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

Just imagine that it was not Classic legends but UML who brought out Jawa and of course without Anand Mahindra's backing.

I will venture a guess that the Jawa would have bombed.

In my opinion, Mahindra's credibility and backing of the Jawa was the single biggest differentiator. Without him Classic Legends is like UML, just an unknown name. But with him behind it, even though there were no bikes to be seen on the road, not even production machines at the time of the Jawa launch, people (including moi) flocked to book the bike.

Good Point.

I trust, it is the combination of Mahindra and the Jawa heritage, which clicked.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
I never considered them to be serious contenders just like AMW was never going to be serious contender in HCV industry. Both are jugaad companies assembling imported crap with one of them faking roots in the US.
A bit off-topic but can you please help me understand your rationale behind calling AMW a junk? and what according to you was the reason behind their failure?

Again something off-topic but the first thing that crossed my mind while reading this thread was "MG". May be because of their Chinese roots and British branding. I know UM and MG cannot be compared but i have my doubts.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 25th June 2019 at 16:19. Reason: My bad- wrote MG as a American brand
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Again something off-topic but the first thing that crossed my mind while reading this thread was "MG". May be because of their Chinese roots and American branding. I know UM and MG cannot be compared but i have my doubts.
Tarik mate brand MG is from Great Britain and not USA and it dates back to 1920's. Yes it has been taken over by Chinese companies similar to Volvo.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Again something off-topic but the first thing that crossed my mind while reading this thread was "MG". May be because of their Chinese roots and British branding. I know UM and MG cannot be compared but i have my doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Tarik mate brand MG is from Great Britain and not USA and it dates back to 1920's. Yes it has been taken over by Chinese companies similar to Volvo.
My bad! Yes, MG is indeed British but since Chinese are behind them, thus my apprehension. Your argument is logical because Volvo is owned by Geely and there have been no product compromises. Let us hope that Chinese are not too-much into MG.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 16:55   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
just like AMW was never going to be serious contender in HCV industry.
Quote:
Again something off-topic but the first thing that crossed my mind while reading this thread was "MG".
Believe the problem in the case of an unknown brand without deep pockets trying to cash in on a niche segment of buyers. MG may not be a relevant example as the parent company is cash-rich. The marketing blitz till now has been proof of that!

I'm reminded of the upcoming AMW. AMW - CF Moto Motorcycles. Neither brands are known to the market, not sure if neither brands have deep pockets, and the not sure if the Chinese entrant is very much committed to the market, or the Indian partner is just trying to assemble and sell those motorcycles.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad! Yes, MG is indeed British but since Chinese are behind them, thus my apprehension. Your argument is logical because Volvo is owned by Geely and there have been no product compromises. Let us hope that Chinese are not too-much into MG.
Volvo much like JLR doesn't seem to have had any influence of its parent companies (Geely and Tata). And it certainly seems to be a good thing.

Volvo seems to be still very much Swedish as JLR British. Current MG / Benelli has no essence as its British / Italian Roots.

Curious Where can we include KTM / Bajaj?

Last edited by payeng : 25th June 2019 at 17:25.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 17:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: End of UM - Lohia alliance?

Quote:
Following a formal announcement set for the weeks ahead, UM International LLC is slated to relaunch under a new entity named UM+. The company plans its individual plant in Hyderabad. But it is not yet confirmed whether this time round UM will operate on its own, or will be forming an alliance.
https://www.rushlane.com/um-motorcyc...-12315255.html
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 20:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Curious Where can we include KTM / Bajaj?
KTM is fully austrian, and is not majority owned by Bajaj. Majority ownership will continue to remain with Stephan, and KTM has already made strides to lower reliance on bajaj with partnerships in China and the philippines.

KTM austria being a majority shareholder always has the option of buying equity back from Bajaj pending discussions. No such option exists for volvo or JLR, because full ownership rests with geely or tata.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks