Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Which electric scooter for my wife?

I am looking for a new scooter for my wife and plan to buy an electric one. Need suggestions on which scooter to buy. The scooter will be for her daily usage.

I looked at the various electric scooters and had shortlisted the Okinawa ridge plus. We looked at the okinawa ipraise also. it has a good range however, the footboard is too high for comfortable driving. But with new scooters getting launched every other day, i am a little confused.

Which is the best option currently available in Pune? I would have loved to get the Ather 450, but it is not available in Pune.

Any other suggestions
Old 17th September 2019, 01:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which electric scooter for my wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj1266 View Post
Which is the best option currently available in Pune?
Any other suggestions
I would suggest Hero Electric bikeswith removable Lithium ion Battery.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2019 at 08:04. Reason: Fixing quote
jeepster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 08:06   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Which electric scooter for my wife?

Would suggest waiting & buying the best. Almost every Ather owner appears to be happy with their ride. The company is said to be coming to Pune in 2019 itself (max early 2020 I'd reckon). Lots of news items on the web state so.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:16   #4
BHPian

Re: Which electric scooter for my wife?

Even I would recommend Hero Electric. Compared to most other options, Hero right now has the widest support in term of After Sales Support and Service.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would say none. It gets boring and irritating pretty fast to plan your recharging every night, and to limit your traveling based in remaining charge in the scooter. I used to travel with an extension cable and charger if I ventured outside regular route, but finding a charging point near enough a public parking is not easy.

It's routine upkeep is another issue. Just check how many puncture Wallas will ever touch an electric scooter. Even minor servicing becomes a headache if the service center is too far away. It will serve well for 1.5-2 years. Bus as and when it will get older, you just can't keep up with it's problems and maintenance. The resale value will be absolutely pittance compared to any petrol two wheeler.

The economics of petrol and electrical vehicles, considering the resale and running repair costs, is almost equal with far more peace of mind with petrol vehicles. I would advice that spend on new phones and watches and whatnot if you want the latest in tech, but don't experiment with your horse (mode of transport) especially when it comes to one's better half.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

@srj1266
I will suggest that you wait for Ather. Pune is the third city that Ather will be entering after Bangalore and Chennai. I recently visited the Ather facility in Bangalore, and realized that they have already employed Pune staff who are currently working in their Bangalore showroom for training Purpose. They are likely to start in Pune in first quarter of 2020.
I replace my staff bikes when they run 5 years or 2 Lakh km, I have two bikes due for change which I'm differing for Ather launch.

Rahul
Old 17th September 2019, 13:06   #7
BHPian

To add to the confusion, Yamaha is coming up with an ebike as well, will be revealed tomorrow

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...5196/?is_amp=1
Old 17th September 2019, 13:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I would say none...but don't experiment with your horse (mode of transport) especially when it comes to one's better half.
Absolutely well said

We've worked out, reworked & still reworking the cost of ownership based on our present needs (~40 Km a day/~12000 Km a year) & we found a Petrol scooter is economical for 1st three years compared to outright purchase of any best electric scooter available now, this is not considering the impracticality. And who knows after 3 years how much of improvements can be expected on a e-scooter & heck then can even become damn cheaper as well.

After a year, resale becomes a big joke (gets depreciated like computer) like you rightly said. And by that time, there are better & better models available & we only can pity ourselves.

I think e-vehicles have got a long way to go before they become matured & the development on them gets stagnant or atleast gets an upgrade in considerably longer duration.

With a 15 year old Activa in hand, even if overhaul it, give it a fresh paint, change seats, get FC, the entire cost will still fall under 20K, which 5+ times cheaper than the soon to get depreciated e-scooter.

So we're contemplating to keep the heart aside for now
Which electric scooter for my wife?-mainqimg326f0b02f11a8296c3d51a99a4ae5d5c.jpg
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
To add to the confusion, Yamaha is coming up with an ebike as well, will be revealed tomorrow

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...5196/?is_amp=1
This is an electric assisted bicycle, not a electric scooter though at 1.3 lakhs it's easy to assume it to be a scooter or a bike!

As of now, Ather is the best bet, the okinawa praise seems to be crippled with issues, please check plug in India reviews on YouTube. A user who's had the bike for a few months has posted his experience.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 17th September 2019 at 14:14. Reason: Added price
Old 17th September 2019, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Realized the mistake and tried to edit it, but was out of the 30 minute window :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
This is an electric assisted bicycle, not a electric scooter
Old 18th September 2019, 17:05   #11
BHPian

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I would suggest Hero Electric bikeswith removable Lithium ion Battery.
Looks good. One question though. How critical is the gradeability factor? Almost all of Hero's bikes have gradeability of 7. does this have any impact on the performance on uphill climbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would suggest waiting & buying the best. Almost every Ather owner appears to be happy with their ride. The company is said to be coming to Pune in 2019 itself (max early 2020 I'd reckon). Lots of news items on the web state so.
Yes. would love to buy the Ather. however, the earlier Activa has almost reached the end of its life and we would like to move to a new bike quickly. Plus i need to buy another bike next year for son when he turns 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The economics of petrol and electrical vehicles, considering the resale and running repair costs, is almost equal with far more peace of mind with petrol vehicles. I would advice that spend on new phones and watches and whatnot if you want the latest in tech, but don't experiment with your horse (mode of transport) especially when it comes to one's better half.
Since we are looking for a new vehicle, we wanted to go environment friendly. We already have a charging point in our society and usage will not be more than 20 kms per day.
Old 19th September 2019, 22:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

We are also looking to buy a new scooter for my wife.
My preference is for E-Scooter as it will be used for intra city run only (hope so) and our city is not that big as Pune or Mumbai. So the time required to travel the distance of 4-5 Kms takes hardly 15-20 mins. and the city Radius is around 2-3 Kms.

Also based on current requirement, the scooter will be mostly used on Friday and Saturday to drop and pickup my daughter (8years) for her dance class which is 1 km away from our home.

Even if my wife takes it for some casual shopping, it would be 10-15 Kms two-way (Max. 20kms) with occasionally 30-35kms two-way.

My wife hates E-Scooter for its Battery Charging Nature (she thinks it would require recharging everyday) and plain Jane looks.

My preference for E scooter is because I want to minimise the carbon footprint from our side.

My budget is 50-55 K in range of Scooty Pep, Wego.

Also the scooter should be light weight and suitable for lady of 5'2".

I am delaying the purchase due to less running and lack of information on better options available.
Old 20th September 2019, 04:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
My budget is 50-55 K in range of Scooty Pep, Wego.

Also the scooter should be light weight and suitable for lady of 5'2".
For this budget & condition, Pleasure is the only one available (59 OTR in Chennai). It's also a near trouble free vehicle
Old 20th September 2019, 07:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
For this budget & condition, Pleasure is the only one available (59 OTR in Chennai). It's also a near trouble free vehicle
Are there no better Electric Scooters within 50-55K budget at current stage?
Old 20th September 2019, 12:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Are there no better Electric Scooters within 50-55K budget at current stage?
There are some, but most would have a max speed of 25km/hr. if you are ok with that, there are options with Hero and okinawa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks