Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 22:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Small update: Completed 1st service after a 240kms ride.

Did a 240 kms ride to Hotel Ahura with 2 of my college buddies. One owns a Baker express and the other has a thunderbird 350. Started at 5 am from Andheri were I stay, met the other Interceptor at Borivali & Thunderbird at Dahisar.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190678762623981_20191107_235845622.jpeg

The Ride - Topped up my Interceptor 650 with power petrol and started the ride. The roads are butter smooth after godbunder road, one would get the itch to test the machines performance out. Interceptor buddy has his bike since April, he used to disappear and slow down to catch up with us. Me being new to all this I was learning, where we had straight roads I opened up the throttle a bit, bike reaches triple-digit speeds very quickly. I had never gone above 60kmph on my activa (even this used to feel scary) but the interceptor feels planted and sure-footed around 100kmph and above it. But did not try any heroic acts, so was back cruising around 70-80kmph with my thunderbird friend. He had a tough time keeping pace with us. Took a few stops on the way for tea & coffee. On the way on the stretches I was around 100-110kmph, superbikes passed me in such a speed I couldn't speak of. There were all sorts of superbikes on the way to the hotel.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_79705208730535_20191111_215435250.jpeg
Our Rides

The Goosebumps - After a while, I saw a silver RD350 going in the same direction, Friend said he would surely be going to the same hotel we headed to. I was riding along with the RD for 10-15odd kms, man what an experience it was. The reason why I got the interceptor was riding along with me, this literally got goosebumps. I really wished I had a dashcam like some camera to capture this, might invest in an action camera.

The Puncture - I realized my thunderbird buddy was left behind. Slowed down to 60kmph cruising and met my friend and he asked is the front tire pressure low, when I saw it, I was 100% sure it was flat. Fixing punctures on a disc brake tire is a task in itself. There aren't many tire shops who know how it is done. We might have stopped at least 6-7 tire shops to get the puncture fixed. Filled air at each tire shop. We decided to keep the bike at the shop and go on both interceptors and collect the bike while returning. We were merely 5-7kms away from the hotel. Got a taste on how to deal with tire punctures.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_79737050440947_20191111_215507092.jpeg

Fooling around while no tire wala could repair the puncture.

The hotel - On reaching the hotel saw a huge line-up of superbikes of all sorts. Bikes revving, people showing each other their rides it was a great experience. Food was good at the restaurant, food lovers will enjoy this. we got the table quickly and food arrived on time. On the way back I bought few "parsi masala" packets for mom. But I did not carry any bag so had to tie the bag to the grab handle.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191103_133645_608.jpg
Twins with the big guns

The Seat - While returning we collected friend's bike and decided to straight reach home without any stops. This is where I could understand the major complaints of the bike seat. My a** started to pain after 45-1 hour of ride. Interceptor friend had left us as he had other plans, I and thunderbird were cruising, enjoying the ride and clicking pictures. At one point I got down to give my bum a relief and drank some water. Need to find some solution for the bike seat soon. The last few kms after reaching Mumbai outskirts I was in a hurry to reach home and rest my buttocks. Starting early morning has few positives, very less traffic while going and returning.

The Mileage - Did around 270kms with full tank, which included 50 kms of city traffic. Refueled around 9.9litres, happy with the numbers. Calculation comes around 27kmpl.

The Service - Had completed 530-540kms after the ride and gave the bike for servicing. Finding the service station was a big task, google mapped showed a road that was closed. After around 10-15mins got the service station and gave the bike for servicing. It was weekend and lot of bikes.
Oil was changed & oil filter cap were changed and air filter was cleaned. Was charged around Rs.3100/- which included the above with labor charges & chain lube kit. But to rate the overall experience, I did not like the way the bike was serviced.
  1. While collecting the bike it looked untidy. The bike was cleaner before servicing it, I told the SA about it he started laughing and saying how it is possible sir. I told him in a firm tone I clean the bike in a much better way.
  2. Remember pointing the clutch cable issue touching the radiator, this was not done even after pointing it out. Last moment it was fixed.
  3. Came out of the service station and felt something weird with the accelerator. It had a play, I dunno but suddenly I started feeling it to be irritating. My friend told me to take a round and check, after the round I went back to the SS and told the SA about it. He said it is normal, I told him it wasn't this much when I came with the bike. He decided to show me few interceptors which had a similar play according to him. When I and my friend checked this out other bikes had very less or no play. He said if you still want the play removed we shall get it fixed, I definitely said yes I want to. SA called a mechanic and fixed it.
I will be looking to change the service station for the next service. I had read RE servicing is not good and was prepared for it but I did not expect this for the interceptors. RE needs to look into this if they want people going for their premium products.

Few things on the list -
  • Full faced helmet, Shumi_21 suggested looks good and is affordable. This is the color I decided. Thanks buddy. Link
  • Formula X too avoid sudden tire punctures.
  • Will try seat cover from sahara for interceptor to test if the seat comfort changes for long rides rather than replacing the seat. Deciding which color to pick. Link
  • Action camera, missing a lot of good shots and videos. My car has a dashcam which is a boon. (not on priority)
  • Waiting for someone to add me to Mumbai Interceptor what's app group.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Few things on the list -
  • Full faced helmet, Shumi_21 suggested looks good and is affordable. This is the color I decided. Thanks buddy. Link

Nice Update bro. I checked out the link and it seems that they only have XL in stock. I suggest you make sure that is the correct size for your head. In general most users in India go one or two sizes big for their heads and that is extremely unsafe. Try and find something that DOT, ECE and Snell certified. Also, make sure you get atleast Level 1, better would be level 2 certified riding jacket with back as well chest protector and pants with hip as well as knee protection. A nice pair of riding boots with good ankle protection is also required.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 16:39   #18
BHPian

I own a Silver Spectre and I always feel that it's the most underrated color among the available choices. I did book for ravishing red at first and then changes to silver, It is a bike that would age well.

I recently got the seat changed with a firm(very firm ) padding, removed the rear grab rail and the bike looks a lot different now.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191105_162222.jpg  

psmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 10:38   #19
BHPian

That twin Engine on a Thunderbird minus the Vibrations will be a gold mine for RE. An Amazing cruiser with promising volumes for RE...
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 18:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you buddy, but trust me 2 of my friends booked the Interceptor after riding my bike and 1 is in a dilemma to let go his 350 for this. This is a good bike but with few drawbacks and the seat is not as good as other RE's. I would suggest wait for the updated one, and the older version should be available at discounts. This way you wouldn't regret anything.
That's the plan. My unique problem is that I already have a ninja 650 for rides and touring but it's too large to use in the city. I travel 60 to 80 kms within city and usually with a pillion and luggage hence need something that's powerful and has a lot of grunt as we do encounter inclines as well on our routes. Hence shortlisted the Thunderbird 500 and interceptor. The thunderbird is really comfortable and relaxing to ride, and not as committed as the riding position on the interceptor. Although the motor of the interceptor is a gem. Now only if Royal Enfield comes out with the Thunderbird 650 it would make my life so easy! Looking at some pre owned ones too but nothing working out so far.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2019 at 06:19. Reason: Corrected quote.
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 09:30   #21
BHPian

Hey Amrut,

Yours is not the only Silver Surfer prowling on the streets of Mumbai. I spotted another one "suffering" around on Juhu beach this morning

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-psx_20191115_092122.jpg
Shumi_21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Completed around 250kms when writing this. Waiting to complete 500kms for the 1st service. Won’t be going for any aftermarket parts, planning to keep the bike stock. Would be nice if all team-bhp interceptor & GT’s from Mumbai meet someday, I am not added to any interceptor group till now would be great if someone knows how this is done.
Congratulations! Your perspective as a scooter rider upgrading to a bigger bike made for a very enjoyable read indeed. I look forward to more adventures of your silver surfer. If you do face any cramps on rides, you can stretch your leg out and slowly rotate it while you are on the move. This is something that we do when on long rides but do try this carefully and ensure that your leg is not too close to the road below you.

As the other forum members have suggested, do go in for a full face helmet and other riding gear. Try and buy, being in Bombay, you have tons of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Yours is not the only Silver Surfer prowling on the streets of Mumbai. I spotted another one "suffering" around on Juhu beach this morning
This made my day!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 02:41   #23

@amrutmhatre90 Congratulations on your purchase of an Epic bike! I liked the write up, it took me back to when I got my First Bike an RE Thunderbird with AVL 350 Engine.
I loved the pictures you shared. Please keep updating this thread on your experiences I look forward to hearing more.
Accelro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 01:14   #24
BHPian

650 Twins Anniversary Celebration

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_144050894922806_20191120_232811145.jpg
650's Gathering at Cafe Peter

I was added to a 650 twins group called Rumble Brothers from Mumbai last week thanks to Ishaan from Team-Bhp. I had read somewhere that 1st year anniversary ride was planned in Karnataka for the 650 twins. I was hoping something similar to be planned for Mumbai, so being curious to know about this asked on the group about it, to my surprise, the same was planned for 17th November which was a Sunday in Pune at Oxford Golf Resort.
The group had some rules while going on such a ride with safety 1st as the moto, "Ride with a full-face helmet & knee guards." Both of which I did not have. I was in two minds, should I go for the event or just stay back. I already had spent a lot this month on various things, I would have to buy the helmet & the knee guards to make it to the ride. I was in 2 minds till Saturday afternoon. But then I thought 1st year anniversary is something which won't happen every year and I have to buy all this someday if I will be spending tomorrow anyways let's go and buy the stuff today itself.
Went to AHhelmets in Oshiwara picked up SOL grey and black helmet & some knee guards. Was confused between MT & SOL but liked SOL and it matched my bike too. Went home and registered myself for the event. Informed at my place I won't be at home tomorrow as I will be going for the event in Pune.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142769409323002_20191120_225953123.jpeg
Wanted Helmet which matched Silver Surfer

We had to reach the resort around 8.30 am in Pune. The meeting point was decided at Datta Vadapav in Panvel at 5.30 am for Mumbai guys. I started at 4.15 - 4.20 am with all the gear and a backpack which had action camera accessories (provided by my friend), power bank, medical kit & a water bottle, etc. Mounted the action cam on the handlebar to the extreme left. Did not record everything but rather turned it on on some locations.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_107666336511171_20191119_215741814.jpeg
Action Cam Mounted on the Handlebar

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142775044216230_20191120_225958758.jpeg
Waiting and introducing each other at Datta Vada Pav

Reached the Datta Vadapav exactly at 5.30 am, met Ryan a.k.a Mumbaikar Boy. Slowly everyone started coming and greeting each other. And so I became a part of 650twins exclusive club called the Rumble Brothers. Many guys had got their better halves with them. Met a friend who used to work in my office before, we live in such a small world I feel. Started from Panvel around 6 am. The road from Panvel to the 1st toll I guess was pathetic, there was no road left. But once we crossed the 1st toll and Khopoli the roads were smooth and good. We took a few stops in between to check on guys and wait for the people left behind. I being an amateur rider was particular on turns and slow, was amazing to see others corner so good and some had pillions too. Before everyone asks about the comfort of the pillions, most of them had aftermarket seats.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142759042066754_20191120_225942755-1.jpeg
Somwhere in Lonavla

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142760522777170_20191120_225944236-1.jpeg
Waiting for Rumble Brothers from Pune

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_146895079201539_20191121_003527203.jpg
Cafe Peter Gathering

We reached Pune highway around 8 and waited for Rumble Brothers from Pune. After which we headed to Cafe Peter in Pune which was the meeting point before going to the Golf Resort. Once we reached Peter Cafe RE had organized many photographers who were clicking pictures & taking drone shots. We waited for the 650's from Pune before leaving for the Golf Resort. People started removing the DB filters to make more noise. Surprisingly the AEW silencers are less hot and cool down much quicker than the stock ones. I touched both of them and the difference is noticeable.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142761873496961_20191120_225945587-1.jpeg
Oxford Golf Resort

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_143616592970789_20191120_232056843_1.jpg
Rumble Brothers. (Extreme right guy in tan jacket is me)

Ride to Oxford Golf Resort was a sight to see, I don't have the exact count of bikes but the count should be more than 200 which turned up at the Resort. All sorts riders young, seniors, families, couples, Dad & sons had showed up at the resort. Everyone parked the bikes and moved to the resort for breakfast as everyone from Mumbai were damn hungry, we had sandwiches, tea & coffee.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142771753773522_20191120_225955467.jpg
The Host Mr. Brandon & trainer Matthew

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142755815866233_20191120_225939529-1.jpeg
Mr. Brandon was training us by using as much as possible funny examples.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142766214217273_20191120_225949928-1.jpeg
Me having a go at Golf. Don't ask where did I hit the ball
Then came the fun part, playing Golf. We were trained by Matthew Rea, Simon Dennis & the senior fun-loving guy who was leading this Brandon de Souza. They taught us how to hold the stick and how to swing, from the basic. They had called Tvesa Malik who is a professional golfer to show us how it is done. She hit some shots out which went far away. Everyone started having a go at hitting the golf ball with the stick, many will think it is easy as we are used to playing cricket, but trust me this is very difficult. 1st time anyone swings, 100% you are going to miss the ball. It was fun.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142760197081337_20191120_225943910.jpeg
Future Riders

Later we all were invited to a room where the cake was cut by young riders (small children), later we had people singing songs, quiz rounds and asked the experiences of how it was to be a part of 650 family. Quiz winners were given gifts for the right answers, all of the questions were related to 650's like how much cc is the engine, which colors do they come in etc.
Later we had lunch started, biryani & raita. To top it all they served us gulab jamun & ice cream too. Rumbles Brothers from Mumbai had decided to leave at 2 pm. So after we had our lunch started getting ready.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_145266638612204_20191120_234826888_1.jpg
A sight to watch, All 650's together.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_145078102689316_20191120_234518352.jpg
Focus on my bike. Very difficult to spot your own bike !!!

Slowly everyone started leaving and decided to meet at the 1st Petrol pump from there on leave together. On the way back one of the riders encountered a problem with his bike. Right after the 1st toll from Pune his back disc brake locked up and had slight smoke. Rumble Brothers' Jignesh Bhai quickly called up a few people and described the problem. The solution was to let the brake pad cool for 30 mins and it will fix the issue. They suggested to us to head slowly and few guys stopped to fix the problem. After a while, they caught up as suggestion solution worked. On the way, we stopped at a few places to have tea in Lonavla & Vada Pav in Panvel. After reaching Mumbai outskirts the traffic was pathetic.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142764672668315_20191120_225948386.jpeg
After filling up the tank, everyone was filling air in the tires.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_142771127043835_20191120_225954840-1.jpeg
While waiting for others

All in all the ride and experience was worth it. Made new friends and a new family. The fun and laughs we had felt like we knew each other for a long time. Looking forward to riding with you guys again Rumble Brothers. Thank you guys for letting me experience such a day. They have the best tagline I ever came across "Nusta Rumble" (translates to keep rumbling)

amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 14:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest wait for the updated one, and the older version should be available at discounts. This way you wouldn't regret anything.
Congratulations of your Int 650.
Just a query. I have myself booked one for myself sometime in Dec 2018. I have still not taken delivery knowing that RE bikes would have teething issues. So I am allowing myself sufficient time for the issues to be resolved. I am also not in a hurry.
As regards to the seat, I too found it to be smaller in size for 2 well built adults. When you say "wait for the updated one", do you mean there is a new seat design coming or a new bike altogether?

Happy and safe biking.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Congratulations of your Int 650.
Just a query. I have myself booked one for myself sometime in Dec 2018. I have still not taken delivery knowing that RE bikes would have teething issues. So I am allowing myself sufficient time for the issues to be resolved. I am also not in a hurry.
As regards to the seat, I too found it to be smaller in size for 2 well built adults. When you say "wait for the updated one", do you mean there is a new seat design coming or a new bike altogether?

Happy and safe biking.
Thanks buddy, first foremost question is how can you wait for almost a year to take delivery of your bike? Would like to give you a standing salute

I agree when it comes to RE bikes and the issues which come up with this, but to be frank I or many other riders have not faced major issues with this bike. Only the issue most of the INT's have faced are related to wobbling handle's but I think it is when people are opting for fork gaitors, as the forks have to be opened and all. I might be wrong, would like to ask other INT owners who do not have fork gaitors did they face handle wobbles?

The seat is narrower and sleeker than most of the RE's you ever see, if you are a well built person the seat comfort may be compromised. Most of the INT owners have changed the stock seats. After spending some time on the seat I guess my bum has got used to the seat.

Everyone is waiting for the updated 650's,it will be coming for sure but when we dunno. As the 650's engine will be updated to BS6 norms too. Also the new features or alloy option is still not spotted or seen on any test mules. RE is happy with the 650's sales both export & Indian market gives them around 5K in a month. Doubt when will they launch the updated 650's.

I too was thinking to wait for the updated BS6 variant but then decided to bite the bullet, you miss today's fun waiting for the upcoming updates. (which may or may not come)

Take a extensive test drive before finalizing on the bike, seat can be a turn off if your heavy built.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th November 2019 at 12:50. Reason: Please see the Mod Note, thank you.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 21:52   #27
BHPian

Completed 1700kms with my Silver Surfer. Every day I ride this it brings a smile on my face. Amazing machine, so far no issues what so ever. This is my daily commute to work, every fuel stop I have or I am stationary at some point standing with the bike, people ask is the bike a good buy? what kind of mileage can we expect? how much cc? etc I try to answer honestly.

So after the Pune Ride, I noticed a when the knee guards brushed the tank and had caused white patch, these weren't scratches but mild patches due to heat and constant touching. I decided to go for tank pads, but I did not like any of the tank pads which were available and I did not want a permanent option. Then while just browsing through amazon once I stumbled upon magnetic sheets, viola I ordered immediately and decided to make my own DIY removable tank pads. Upon getting the sheet I was skeptical will these stick properly as they looked quite flimsy, but they stick very well and don't move at all. Cut them in a desired shape and tried them on do they stick and look proper. I had a spare carbon fiber vinyl which I stuck on the cutout made. Thought the tank pad should be unique, decided to paint silver surfer and galaxy. Used oil-based paint which we use to write on tires. The end result looked amazing.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191207_191204.jpg
Magnetic cutout size check

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191211_120214.jpg
After applying carbon fiber vinyl to magnetic tank pad.

During Christmas week I was gifted a Sahara Seat cover by a dear friend of mine. The seat cover fits perfectly and has a thin form layer which adds a bit of cushioning. People who want to keep the stock seats can try these options. The seat color looks good too. I will leave all the links here at the end of the post. In between, I go with my friends on night rides or morning rides to have the fun on no traffic roads.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191217_120527.jpg
Sahara dark brown seat cover and the magnetic tank pad

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191217_120548.jpg
Magnetic Tank Pad closeup.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200105_062814.jpg
Night ride with Chrome brothers GT650, Classic 500 & a Pulsar 200

So being from Mumbai, we have a 650 twin's only group called Rumble Brothers. The group was found by mere 4-5 riders from Mumbai and Pune. Now the group count stands at 300+, this is the largest RE 650 group in India. This was formed in January 2019, so we had an anniversary bash planned in Lonavla, this time we had our families, kids better half joined in too. We had quizzes, awards for various things and a slow race, which was unusual for a 650. We even celebrated the Birthday and Anniversary of our group members. It was a night to remember. Many 650's had various mods, hydraulic clutch system, stock rims converted to tubeless tires and of course exhausts.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_327086415515193_20200111_005950443.jpeg
Gearing for the Short Ride

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_350103208869489_20200111_172852970.jpeg
Silver Surfer masking the cold climate and sun

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200111_095628.jpg
650's Lined up at Lonavla

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200111_104648.jpg
1st ride with proper luggage bag

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-dsc_0815.jpg
The Rumble Brothers Family (Me in the center with maroon hoodie)

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-dsc_0818.jpg
Trying to fit everyone in one picture

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200111_225447.jpg
The amazing hotel with amazing food

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-dsc_0893.jpg
The backdrop is from Panhala, Kolhapur ride

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-dsc_0938.jpg
The Rumble Family moms, wives, partners and children

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-dsc_0963.jpg
Future Riders waiting to cut and eat the cake

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200112_092447.jpg
Leaving the next day

The all the 650's joints on silencers have weird rubbery marks. Which look like an eyesore. Decided to get rid of these, some people have used petrol and a small cloth to rub these out, I used the chain cleaning spray provided by RE. The silencer looks amazing now. One of our group member had rubber stuck to his silencer, he used this same technique when the silencer was slightly warm and got rid of the rubber. Some mechanic was charging him Rs.1200/- for the same.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200118_182829.jpg
Before Cleaning

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200118_182749.jpg
After Cleaning

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200118_182802.jpg
Close up of clean silencer

I would like to ask bike riders a small weird issue I am facing of air loss on both tires, it drops to 26-28 psi between 240-250kms ride. Is it normal?

Links:
Magnetic Sheet

Sahara Seats Brown Cover

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 19th January 2020 at 21:55.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 13:00   #28
BHPian

Two 650's , Two 500's and one 350.

So one night at around 4.30,(Rather morning) my childhood friends called me.
Friend - We are planning to go Mahableshwar next week, are you coming?
Me - (In rather sleepy voice) Yes, but let's do it next to next week, I have my cousin's wedding to attend.

Now, most of the plans made by our friends got canceled lately due to some of the other reasons. But it had been many years since I did not go to Mahableshwar and wanted to visit. And going with our bikes was going to be a different thrill altogether.
So we started asking our common friends who all wanted to join and started finalizing places. Later we were 7 friends who were going on 5 bikes.

First, it was decided to head out on 22nd Feb which was a Saturday and return on 24th Feb Monday i.e for 3 days. But then the villa we wanted to book was no longer available, after asking friends we decided let's go on Sunday and head back on Tuesday, this was a boon for us.
  • We did not get any traffic or rush anywhere
  • Hotels rates were cheap compared to weekends.
The hotel was booked and we all were eagerly waiting for the day to arrive.

Finally, on 23rd Sunday, we decided to leave early by 5 in the morning to avoid the sun and the heat. Guys riding solo had bags on their bikes.
  • Interceptor 650 (Me) - Solo
  • Continental GT 650 - with a pillion
  • Chrome 500 - Solo
  • Green 500 - With a Pillion
  • 350 - Solo

Day1
We topped up at the 1st fuel station and left, the roads and the weather was amazing. Started with pretty dark roads, took the Panvel road, thank God the roads were fixed. A friend suggested let us ride between 70-80kmph but when he saw the roads even he couldn't keep those speeds.
Took the first short break near Lonavala as a friend was left behind.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-1.jpg
Starting in dark and Slowly building up speed

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-2.jpg
Entering Lonavala Ghats

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_085243.jpg
Waiting for others to catch up

Now I normally know this road back of the mind, but that day while enjoying the ride I totally forgot about the Katraj Tunnel and was wearing sunglasses it was fine at first but later it got so dark I had to follow the cars ahead based on their taillights.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-5.jpg
Entering the tunnel

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-6.jpg
Somewhere in between tunnel lights dimming out

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-8.jpg
Halfway through the tunnel, pitch-black couldn't see anything

We stopped after the Tunnel for our breakfast, we all were hungry. Breakfast was delicious and we had covered 200kms out of 278kms. But the rest were ghats starting with the Wai ghat, I absolutely love this ghat, with amazing twisties, which suddenly wakes you up and adds a different joy.
The Interceptor was absolutely at home here. No need of frequent downshifts, just used the 2nd and 3rd gear on the turns and twists. The torque is so well managed in this bike. Some other bikers who were following us had to make frequent downshifts to be in higher RPM's but man I fell in love with this machine again the way this engine performs at any point of time.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_101538.jpg
Enjoying the breakfast with childhood friends

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-9.jpg
Truckers had occupied all 3 lanes

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-10.jpg
Riding in a pack

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-11.jpg
Finally empty roads

We took the Wai route even though the google maps suggested Satara route, once we started entering Panchgani and Mahableshwar the traffic was intense. People returning from their weekend endeavors were a lot. We were unable to overtake on roads as it was so jam-packed.
This was a two-lane road, despite knowing these people were entering in the wrong lane due to long queues near Mapro Garden area. The traffic lasted for almost 1km. But once opened up we decided to go to the hotel first and check-in.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-12.jpg
Busy Panchgani ghat

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-15.jpg
Slow traffic near Mapro

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-16.jpg
Finally reached the Hotel

The roads towards the hotel were pathetic, good we did not take the Satara route, we have kind off created a different level of hatred towards this route. Once we reached the hotel, looking at the view and the pool all of our stress and tiredness was gone.
Now we had booked the place for 6 people and we were 7 now. I had messaged booking.com regarding this as 1 person might get added and they replied stating they won't charge any amount but will provide a mattress free of cost. But at first, the hotel manager was not ready for this and asked for money as a person was added. I showed him the messages and mail from booking.com to my surprise the manager agreed and said he will take it from them, sorry for the inconvenience.
We had lunch from the same hotel and few of us rested. Later we hit the infinity pool. Water was cold but was fun to get fresh after the ride.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_226357822900339_20200225_085937749.jpg
The Infinity Pool

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-gopr0115.jpg
Friend with some underwater shots

Later we decided to head out to see the sunset and went to the sunset point, but trust me guys avoid this. Nothing much but too many people waiting to see the sunset and the view is not so good. We decided to cover some other points and headed to Lodwik point.
We had to park our bikes and walk a few meters but it was good. The view was good and we saw sunset here which was worth it.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_182709.jpg
Amazing Sunset, can see the Lodwick point in extreme left corner

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_185047.jpg
View from Lodwick Point

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_185646.jpg
Perfect colors right after the sunset

Later it got super dark and it was just 7 of us around the area. To make things scarier one of the people on stall told us, "If anyone calls you don't look behind, just ride and keep going" That's what we did we rode being half scared but it was an experience to witness.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200223_191947.jpg
Bikes ready to zip out of the scary place

We headed market area, started shopping and chilling out. We had dinner at a restaurant named Aman. The food was amazing and must-try is their Shahi Special Tandoori, it was so good we ended up having all dinners here. On the way picked up ice-cream and headed to the hotel on the pathetic Satara road. Decided to call the day off after eating ice-cream.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-aman.jpg
Shahi Tandoori with loads of cheese, man I miss this.

Day2
This was going to be a long day as we had most of the points to do. 1st point of day 2 was to see the sunrise at Wilson Point, which was very close to our hotel so it barely took 10-15 mins to get there. Very less crowded and was a good morning to click pictures as most of the people went after watching the sunrise.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_246815356896694_20200226_112913503.jpeg
Sunrise with the machines, me in the red hoodie.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_247086684767486_20200226_113344831.jpeg
Waited for the perfect shot, was worth it

Coming back to the hotel we did something crazy but could only do as we were the only people in the hotel and the hotel staff allowed us to do. Parked our bikes near the cottages and clicked pictures till we freshened up and had breakfast.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_080641.jpg
Picture Perfect

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_192967212119502_20200224_110941321.jpeg
Me meditating to handle the machines

We headed to Kates point 1st, this would cover 2 points. The Kates point also called a shooting point and Elephants head. Shooting point is named as there is a temple down near the damn which had few movie scenes shot, Rab ne Bana di Jodi, Dangal, etc. This was an amazing point and the view was just unbelievable. Everything looked like a painted picture. Walking a few meters ahead we got to see the elephants head point. So when you are at the shooting point/ Kates point, you are standing on the elephants head.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_100418.jpg
View from Kates Point

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_100453.jpg
Testing zoom of my smartphone P30 Pro

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_100520.jpg
One more zoom shot

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_102041.jpg
View from Elephants head point

From here we headed to Lord Shiva's temple. But from there we had a confusion should we head to St. Aurthers seat? as some friends wanted to go to Pratapgarh. So we separated in two batches and I and 1 more bike went to Aurthers seat and 2 bikes went to Pratapgarh.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_095314.jpg
Before separating out

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th March 2020 at 17:27. Reason: Please do not post any reference of speeds above 120kmph on public roads.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 13:01   #29
BHPian

Aurthers seat was amazing, we saw an old lady giving out water from the tiger spring, it is said that this is the same place where tigers used to come to drink water. The water was crystal clear, the lady was not taking money for it but we did pay her something as she was utilizing her time to give this to everyone. When we went to the main Arthur's seat, it was the scariest place with valleys on all 3 sides.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_125313.jpg
Aurther's Seat Point, back in those days one could view 3 forts from here.

From there we headed back to the hotel and decided to eat lunch at the hotel itself. later spent some time in the freezing pool to relax.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_164529.jpg
Playing and relaxing in the pool

The evening plan was to go to do boating and see the sunset from the boat. The boating service was good, they take Rs.500/ per boat in which 6 people can seat, we being 7 we took 2 boats and spent almost 1 hour which included some cardio as these boats were paddle boats. Friend also did a Wheelie on a horse, few of the horses are here specifically for this.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_180105.jpg
Friends enjoying leg workout

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_181001.jpg
Waited here to capture sun just behind OM

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200224_181958.jpg
Panoramic view of my boat and the lake

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_335089789867077_20200229_075710119.jpeg
Friend performing wheelie

From here we headed to Mapro which was around 10-15kms away. Ate snacks and while coming back noticed friend had a nail in his bike, but luckily it wasn't a flat tire. We started riding slow and searching for a tire repair shop but no1 was available till we came back to the Market and had dinner at Aman. We decided to keep the bike near the market and get it fixed the next day early morning. Chilled out in the night and slept.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200225_001741.jpg
Chilling near born fire.[/i][/center]

Day 3
On the way back strawberry sellers gave us strawberries and gooseberries at very cheap rates the previous night. We did pick up a few boxes. But the problem was how will we carry all this while returning home. Luckily I had a bigger bag and few bungee ropes to tie, so my friends also used a few. We packed up the next morning and waited till the punctured bike returned. We left around 12 thanking the hotel staff and managers for making our stay memorable. Reached home around 9. We took many breaks in between and near Pune had the whole highway jampacked as a truck had overturned.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200225_112722.jpg
Jimmy wanted to play while we strapped out luggage on bikes

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_294690795845639_20200228_001155305.jpg
Pack of Royal Enfields

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200225_150851.jpg
This is how I managed to strap luggage

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200225_150907.jpg
Clicked while having lunch on the way near Pune

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_673588595425289_20200308_200715537.jpeg
We don't ride fast, we ride slow

The bike performed very well. No issues at all, glad I decided to purchase this machine. God bless the engineers who have made such incredible chassis and engine who married these and turned it into an exceptional wedding destination for us riders.
  • Kms done for the trip: 678
  • Rough Mileage: 31-32kmpl (including very bad patches and traffic)
  • Average speeds: 80-110kmph
  • Highest speed clocked: 140kmph
  • Fuel Stops: 3

This is the itinerary I had made, with nearby points clubbed together. Anyone visiting can follow this. Has photos and google map locations too. Click here

Here are 2 videos I compiled of the trip which I took on the Go Pro.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th March 2020 at 11:39. Reason: Removed triplie bit :)
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 14:41   #30
BHPian

After 7 months finally back on road

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200830_1532332.jpg

Will complete a year with the Silver Surfer in September, the journey has been awesome. Would have been much better without the pandemic situation.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200825_0952372.jpg
2nd Service post lockdown

Completed 2nd service, no issues with the bike. Would have loved to clock more kms this year but Covid-19 limited it to 40kms only from Feb which included a service center ride.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200829_0855372.jpg
Ferry Wraf - aka - Bhau cha Dhakka

After the announcement of Ro-Ro Ferry service from Mumbai to Mandwa, I messaged and forwarded most of my friends informing them about this. Started getting calls and messages when should we go. And heck it was cheap for Bikes, just Rs.200/- and Rs.300/- per person. Following is the price breakdown for the service:

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20200821-2.39.17-pm.jpeg

I have a farmhouse in Alibaug near Kihim beach which I travel very frequently, this is a very relaxing way to go via Ferry and bike add the beautiful scenery too. The best part is this Ferry will be functional during the rainy season, which is not the case will passenger-only ferry's as they are very small and move around a lot.

Finally decided to go on 29th Aug for a Saturday-Sunday stay, called the booking agent and got the booking done for 4 passengers, 1 pet & 1 small car. For bikes, you have to pay once you reach the dock.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20200831-1.02.25-pm.jpg

Traveled through Bandra's famous A1 Bakery and collected breakfast to eat in the Ferry. Reached quite early at the dock, showed the booking mail, and purchased a ticket for the bike. Around 9.15-9.30 they started moving the cars inside Ro-Ro. My bike was the only bike till then. Ferry left at exactly 10 am.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200829_0856102.jpg
Buddies who are always ready for a trip including Doggo

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200829_0907452.jpg
Parking inside the Ferry

First impressions, the Ro-Ro Ferry is quite huge, can accommodate 145 cars and more than 400 people. It has underground parking too. The upper deck has chilly AC and can accommodate many people. They provide snacks and tea coffee too. The sad part was pets were only allowed on the level where cars had been parked. But later we moved on the upper deck as couldn't resist the view from the top.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20200831-1.02.36-pm.jpg

The best part about the Ro-Ro Ferry is if you go in 1st you leave the ferry 1st too. It takes 45-50 mins to reach Mandwa. My farmhouse is merely 15-20 mins from Mandwa, and we were home by 11.15 with shopping done for food.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-whatsapp-image-20200831-11.53.29-am-1.jpg
Finally Home

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200829_2218292.jpg
Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200829_2218372.jpg
Cooked some delicious chicken

The next Day while returning I was joined by some of the friends I met from our own 650 group from Mumbai, they too took a ride in Ro-Ro and We headed back to Mumbai by Road. The roads are very bad from Panvel to Wadkhal right now but after that enjoyed the rain ride.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200830_1132082.jpg
All Set to return

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200830_1222372.jpg
650 Buddies having snacks

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200830_1533232.jpg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200830_1535072.jpg

This is what my bike looked after reaching Mumbai in heavy rains. Never seen her so dirty.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200902_1655262.jpg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20200902_1655482.jpg

Following is a small clip of the fun we had on the trip from a POV angle.

Enjoy and Stay safe guys.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks