Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2019, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_30675149258335_20191027_040650621.jpg

+ I just love the classic look, spoked wheels, chrome, flat seat and the character.
+ Torquey engine moves with zero accelerator input.
+ Longer gearing ratios which help in city traffic
+ Oodles of power, with just slight twist the throttle and overtake easily.
+ Very easy to ride and maneuver doesn’t feel heavy on the move. (coming from a gearless scooter)
+ Ride quality perfect for me, not too stiff nor too bumpy.
+ Brakes are just perfect with enough bite and stopping power.
+ Gear changes are smooth and precise.
+ Headlight throw is more than adequate for me and very powerful.
+ Smooth clutch action doesn’t feel hard.
+ People stop and ask which bike this is, what it costs, how much power?

Dislikes:
- Feels very heavy while moving around from standstill.
- Gear indicator, this is a must for someone who is like me upgrading from gearless scooter.
- Footpeg positioning is very odd both front and rear.
- Engine lacks the silky shine which rest of the bike has, needs waxing and polishing.
- BS4 headlamp switch which doesn’t have an on/off button.
- Center stand makes weird noise while going over sudden bumps, feels loose.
- Seat upgrade is a must if you go on long rides.
- Lacks electronic features on MID
- Tubed tire, not all mechanics know or have tools to fix this.

FlashBack - I was never a bike guy, always loved and had immense passion for cars, until my cousin introduced me to his RD350.
Year was 2009-10 I casually had decided to meet him. His dad used to always tell me stories regarding the RD, on how people used to put letters asking for price quotes or contact numbers and the power. It was all ok until I saw and heard the RD350 sing in real.He took me on a ride, back then Mumbai highways used to be empty, I saw a RE500 trying to show off and race with my cousin, with just twist of throttle we disappeared and the engine and exhaust gave me goosebumps I never felt before. I told myself this is the bike I will ever buy if I decide on purchasing a bike, the classic looks, loads of power & the sweet exhaust note which still makes me weak in my knees.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_191234716372855_20191108_003314295.jpeg
RD350 which cousin owned

After completing my studies I got a job, saved enough money to purchase my dream bike. Asked my cousin regarding the old crush (RD350), he asked me are you really serious? He told me the real issues I might face regarding parts, maintenance and let's not forget the mileage and frequent cop stops. Also, it lacked the modern features which most of the bikes had. I wanted a peaceful bike experience which RD wouldn’t give and he told me you can save and buy a good bike in the same amount. ( Well maintained RD’s cost were sky-high during that time)

Background - I owned a Honda Activa until we bought Ertiga in 2013. I started traveling by car to work every day. Month by Month traffic scenes in Mumbai started getting worst. Though my office was 2 kms away from house it sometimes took me 45mins to 1hour to reach, to counter this, I bought a geared cycle which I used to travel most of the time.
In 2018 I read somewhere the interceptor 650 was getting launched in India at an attractive cheap price, it looked a bit similar to RD. Was suddenly taken back to my dream of owning a classic bike like RD350. Flat seat, round headlamps, spoked wheels, twin exhaust, perfect touch of chrome and the power.
But dreams rarely come true, my family was against owning a bike, they were fine with a scooter but a big NO to bikes. Scary accidents seen on tv/news and a mishap with my elder brother & cousins had left wrong impressions for bikes. I didn’t even dare to ask my family about the decision and buried the dream.

Fast Forward - Itch started of having a new two-wheeler, the activa was used by my brother, traffic was getting worse day by day in Mumbai. Just casually mentioned this to my dad and I guess he ignored it :P Did a few calculations with down payments and EMI for Interceptor. Wanted EMI within 6-7K per month as I have a home loan too. Spoke with my close friends regarding the Interceptor 650 and almost everyone gave a thumbs up. Most of my friends were shocked a car guy going for a bike and that too a big jump to 650cc Interceptor. But still, the big question was will my parents agree? 99% knew my parents won’t agree with this.
On Sat 24th Aug decided to go and at least check out the Interceptor, went to Ishna Wheels in Vile Parle saw the bike, sat with the sales rep and he explained the pricing and also suggested the financing options available which came to Rs.7500 to Rs.7900 with a down payment of 1 lakh. Asked sales rep about getting insurance done from outside, he agreed. Was informed waiting period will be 1 month. On the way back home was thinking how to convince my parents, while going home a local auto guy who knows me from years saw the RE brochure in my hand and asked me Royal Enfield book kiye ho? (which RE did I booked?), shocked how did he know this is a RE brochure! I replied stating its not for me and for my friend. (Little did I know, he would see me soon on the Interceptor)

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20190824_182238.jpg
Baker Express in the Showroom

After coming home my dad & granny saw the brochure and this is how the conversation went:
Dad: What is this?
Me: I want to buy this bike.
Dad: No, no bike and all, buy a scooter.
Me: Dad, bike and scooter its the same, anything can happen with a scooter too. Have I ever asked or talked about bike ever? This is special and way different than normally what we get.
Dad: …………..
Me thinking did he agree or no?
After 15-30mins, while I was checking the price list.
Dad: Will you take on EMI?
Me: Yes.
Dad: What is the amount per month?
Me: Should be around 6-7k
Dad: How many months?
Me: 36 months.
Dad: (makes quick calculations) What! How much does this bike cost?
Me: 3 lakhs on road.
Dad: Why you want such an expensive bike? What will you do with it?
Me: Dad it's a lifetime investment, have I asked about any bike ever? This is special.
Dad: Down-payment?
Me: After down-payment of 1lakh this is the EMI I am planning.

I was still scratching my head confused did he agree or no? Regardless I started looking out for financing options. I went through loads of articles online and our very own team-bhp threads regarding this. Finally decided on the following options:
  • Increase current home loan
  • Go for a personal loan
The next day spoke with dad regarding this, he already had contacted the bank from which I have a home loan, but he asked for a bike loan which was 8.5%. This was the sign my dad had finally agreed for the bike, this was the happiest day for me. Later he told me why you want to pay interest to the bank? I will give you the money, you keep transferring me 10K every month. This was icing on the cake, “Ghar ka paisa Ghar mai”.
Called up Ishna Wheels to ask the waiting period? To my surprise this is how the conversation went:
Me: Hi, Ishna Wheels, need to know the waiting for Interceptor 650.
Sales rep: Sir waiting period will be 2 months.
Me: (Raised my voice) Yesterday at the showroom I was told it will be 1 month, tell me what is the exact as I want to book it today, or I will go to another showroom.
Sales rep: Sir had you come yesterday evening? was your name xyz.
Me: Yes
Sales rep: What color are you looking for?
Me: Tell me for both Baker Express & Silver spectre.
Sales rep: Sir, I will call my seniors and give a call for the same.

After about 10-15 mins got a call stating both have 1 month waiting, asked him about the online booking procedure. He said you can do it, just send us the screenshot and color.

Color dilemma - My most of the vehicles had been white, so the 1st option considered was baker express & second choice was silver spectre. So went ahead and booked Baker Express online with Rs.5000/- sent the screenshot to Sales rep on 25th Aug 2019.
I started going through various video blogs, reviews & photos of Interceptor 650 and for some reason I Baker Express did not justify the classic look the bike has, Silver & orange looked proper classic with the chrome and silver touches on the bike. After about 3 days got a call informing the bike has been billed and will reach the showroom, I told him about the color choice. Sales rep said I cannot change the color now.
Sales rep: Sir now the bike is billed who will buy this?
Me: You can sell it to someone else, I have decided to change the color. Being an RE I am sure many will want to buy it, it won’t sit in your stockyard for a long time.
Sales rep: This cannot be done sir.
Me: I had done this for my car and many people do this. If you cannot change then I am canceling the booking and will book the silver one online, will this be fine?
Sales rep: You cannot do this sir.
Me: You suggest me what to do, I am not going ahead with Baker Express.
Sales rep: I will speak with my senior.
Senior calls me: Sir why you want to change the color, it's been billed and will reach us in 4-5 days?
Me: I don’t want it, if you cannot do anything from your end I am canceling the booking and will book silver again.
Senior: Sir you only wanted it in urgent.
Me: (thinking when did I specify this?) I am in no hurry to buy, let it come if it takes time.
Senior: Ok will take time, just reply on the what's app about the color change.

Insurance - Now we have always got the insurance done from outside the showroom, the initial quotes were 24k for 1 year zero dep and 3 yrs TP and 34k for 5 yrs zero dep. Got a few quotes from 2-3 insurance people I knew.
  • Guy 1 New India - 17k - 1yr 3yr TP
  • Guy 1 New India - 30k - 5yr zero dep (highest IDV)
  • Guy 2 - 20k - 1yr 3yr TP
  • Guy 2 - 47k - 5yr zero dep (this one was from reliance, God knows what all this included)
Went ahead with the 5 yr zero dep from guy 1, wanted chassis no and engine no with invoice to get the insurance done.

Payment - Had heard the pricing of the twins will be increasing by 5k in Sept 2019, sales rep called me informed for the same and asked me to get the payment done before 31st to avoid the price hike. Sales rep was sent home to collect check, they took a sign on a RE paper for helmet and few more for the bike ownership. Documents provided included passport and aadhar copy, for this the sales rep took photos in the phone itself. (Technology has become a boon in these scenarios) gave the check which had booking amount & insurance amount removed. Clicked a few photos of the check.
Got the chassis number & engine number on 3rd Sept but needed a proper invoice copy for insurance. Had to call sales rep several times for the invoice, finally, it was provided on 7th Sept. Sent the same to insurance guy, he sent me the link of payment with details. Checked the name, address, chassis number & engine number everything twice before making the payment.

Registration & Bike number - Everyone in India is aware of lucky numbers or specific numbers when purchasing cars or bikes. People pay a bomb when it comes to numbers, I know a relative who paid nearly 1 lakh for a number and the car was a humble Tata Nano. My dad asked me to get the same number as my car which was 5570 or get a total of 17. Now, this is what I conveyed the sales rep both on-call and what's app, he neither did ask me before registering about the number or give me any options. The number registered was 6681 which is my car number +1. I came to know my bike number through the RTO’s SMS on 13th September, and to my surprise, the amount charged was around 28K but on the invoice, the quote was 32K for registration.

Accessories & bike protection - RE has a nice variety of bike accessories that are available for the interceptor 650, which are functional as well as cosmetic ones. Decided on Sump guard & Chrome engine guard for the bike the most essential ones. The sump guard not only protects but keeps the belly clean too.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190701437038561_20191107_235908296.jpeg

To protect the bike took Radia bike cover from amazon, which fits perfectly. I already had casual gloves which I used for cycling, also bought a 2-liter manual sprayer and a 800 GSM microfiber towels to clean the bike. Have decided to wash and clean my bike on my own. Normally my watchman cleans my car and activa (he does a very good job) but for the Interceptor have decided to do things differently. Bought a proper fitting half faced helmet which matches the theme of the bike, will be buying a full-face closed helmet would like to have suggestions from you guys what should I go for.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190717888394288_20191107_235924747.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190698098169291_20191107_235904957.jpeg

The Delivery wait - Bike was registered on 13th September when I was on a vacation and was returning on 14th September. Now in the Hindu religion, there is a 16–lunar day period during which we pay homage to ancestors, especially through food offerings called Pitru Paksha. During this period we don’t buy new clothes, jewelry, cars or a property (many many things are there but these are related to this thread), this is done to pay respect to the people passed away and also to renounce any celebration during this time. And the Pitru Paksha was starting from 13th September, which meant I had a very long wait before I meet my crush. This was ending on 28th September, I decided to use this opportunity to get the delivery on the 1st Day of Navratri i.e 29th November.

The Delivery day - A day before taking the delivery called the sales rep, informed him I will be coming on the next day and get the accessories fitted. Next day went to Ishna Wheels, saw the bike in person. I was delighted that it was parked inside the showroom. I started the paperwork and on the other hand, the sales rep told someone to start cleaning the bike for delivery. Noticed the clutch cable was off the hooks, which caused it to stay in line with the radiator grill, some users had reported this caused the plastic coating to melt due to heat from the radiator. I checked this and saw the hook was present but was not lined or bolted, bolted it in the holes provided. Payment for the accessories was pending and the card machine wasn’t working so paid in cash and completed the paperwork. Till then the bike was covered and ready for delivery. Checked the helmet and wore it was 2 sizes larger than mine. Removed the satin cover and usual music & handling keys were done. Sales rep explained me do’s and don’ts. Everyone congratulated me now was time to ride the beauty.
Now, this was the 1st time I would be riding a bike, till now I was riding a gearless scooters and cars. In the past, I had short rounds of bikes, but this was 6-7 years of gap or more. Started the bike, wore helmet & checked mirrors and out I went from the showroom slowly by just releasing the clutch. I had a friend who accompanied me in case if I was not able to ride the bike. But till we reached the 1st signal I was at comfy on the bike, was able to handle and ride properly, just grouse was I was missing the 1st gear the bike was going to neutral. After seeing me ride the bike properly friend went home. Filled her up with petrol of Rs.500/- sales rep advised me not to fill the tank completely till I get the 1st service done. Reached home, called up mom & dad for the Puja. Had already got garland on the way back. While completing the Puja met friend's mom who told me my friend had gone to collect my other friends' bike, called him up he said he was in a nearby temple about to get his bike blessed by a pandit. I told him I too took the delivery of my bike and I will come let’s do the puja together. Went to the temple and our bikes were blessed. The friend bought a Pulsar NS. On the way back met my friends, everyone questioned me regarding switch from a car to a bike but were happy that I went with the interceptor.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190715472574497_20191107_235922332.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20190929_130604.jpg

While I was returning from the showroom to my place, I suddenly got a cramp in my right leg. The same thing happened while I was returning from the showroom. Maybe my 1st time with a bike caused this, my posture might not have been right as I am used to sitting comfortably in a car. Later in the evening went with my friends to buy a helmet for the friend who purchased a Pulsar NS, ended up covering 60kms on 1st day that too on such a powerful bike. This time I felt a lot more confident and did not get any cramps.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_626787176446885_20190930_000021340.jpeg
Picture posted on Instagram which was liked by RE official page and wanted to share story & photo with fans

Usage pattern - Currently using the bike as a commute to the office, which is 8kms return journey. Will be going to my farmhouse in Alibag which is 110kms from Mumbai, this will be once or twice a month. And few ride with my biker friends, most of my friends are bike guys, I was the only person who was left out but not for long anymore. I had thought the engine heat would be a problem but on the move or when I stop it doesn’t feel as problematic as I had initially thought.

Did a Marine Lines ride with my friends after a few days, filled her up with power this time. The bike felt slightly smoother, did not go above 3.5K RPM and maintained 60-80kmph during this ride. It was a fun night ride, clicked several pictures. I have friends who own Chrome 500 & Chrome GT 650 who accompanied us. Did not feel any back pain or leg pain, this was just a day before Diwali. Got to know the bike characteristics more clearly this time.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191027_021922.jpg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191027_021715.jpg

Performance - The bike just moves without the use of accelerator on 1st and 2nd too, loads of torque which makes riding a breeze. Till now I am just using 15-20% throttle rotation, once I am confident enough after the 1st service will use more of the throttle. Bike can cruise at 80kmph whole day long, yet go above 100kmph. 90kmph - 100kmph the bike feels stable on curvy smooth roads but the rear shocks feels bouncy with the uneven surfaces. Being 1st bike, I don't know how refined it is compared to others but the gear switch and the smoothness and less vibrations are very refined, tells you this is a well-engineered product. Proud an Indian Manufacture is competing with the big dogs, that too at an attractive price point.
Clutch action is not hard nor very light, 1st day I bought this bike home my palms and fingers had started paining. This was because it was my 1st geared bike, but right now more than a month of riding, my hands are used to and no longer pain.
Exhaust note is tingling and not like any other RE, many people have told me to start the engine and rev it to really hear the twin-cylinder exhaust note. At very low speeds and I mean very low speed without any accelerator input there is a slight hint that this is a RE, the typical RE thump is heard. You might have to concentrate to hear it.
Around 2K - 3K RPM the bike is not very loud but once you go beyond that the exhaust note is thrilling and exciting, people do notice you and give way.

One problem I and many owners faced is the clutch cable moving freely around the radiator. Advice to all of the Interceptor & GT owners get a U clip tied around this, the OEM clip which comes with the bike is too loose.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190676375138044_20191107_235843234.jpegDream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190719662211475_20191107_235926521.jpeg
How it comes out of the socket vs how it is supposed to be

Build Quality - When it comes to the bike build quality is very good, but not the best. The tank has the best finish, then the silencers which look great but are a pain to keep shiny. The engine case is the part that doesn't match the finishing of the entire bike, will be polishing and making it look shiny like the rest of the bike soon. There are tons of DIY videos on YouTube. The shiny handle adds the classic character which 80's bikes had and finishing is just great on this. The Switchgear and the instrument cluster are the things which look cheap and dated.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190699710163041_20191107_235906569.jpeg
The Royal Enfield Logo looks premium which the custom & chrome variants don't get.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190680899479710_20191107_235847758.jpegDream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190716111567205_20191107_235922971.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190721521000016_20191107_235928380.jpegDream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191107_17431501.jpeg
Day vs Night

Switches & MID - Controls are handy, the switches and MID do look dated, wished it looked a bit nicer but gets the job done. Everyone knows how the fuel meter reacts, but it shows proper fuel after 10-15 mins once the bike is on the move. One funny incident, my family asked me how much storage does the bike have (they compared it with the activa, can't blame them as they don't know much about bikes). I was like nothing, mom was telling me attach a metal storage bags like ones on the 80's-90's bikes had. Currently using a pouch and online on phone to store documents. I haven't tried to store the documents underneath the seat till now, might see if this option is feasible in the future.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190674978865128_20191107_235841838.jpegDream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190703098707832_20191107_235909958.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190692989916687_20191107_235859849.jpeg
The main key provided looks good but the second key doesn't have the RE logo.

Wheels & Brakes - Spoked wheels look damn good with this classic, add to the fat Pirelli tires the bike stands out but the rear tires do look puny. My only concern is the tube setup these tires have. Thinking about the tube solution which is filled in the tires which avoids sudden punctures, bhpian's can give me advice on this. Has anyone used this? Have heard Formula X is good and affordable.
Haven't encountered ABS kicking in, but the brakes do feel good. Was damn worried about disc brakes on a bike, how long will it take getting used to, on how to brake on a disc braked bike. But the 1st ride gave me the best confidence. Using front and rear brakes now. The heavy bike stops in time. Have came across few close encounters but felt safe and bike stopped on time.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190687479431272_20191107_235854338.jpegDream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191107_173611.jpg

Space & comfort - Comfortable riding position, I am 5’11 and the leg positioning while riding has been good. Not too sporty not too leaned back. Had a cramp on the 1st day while getting the bike home, but maybe it was just me as my 1st geared bike drive. Had a short ride with pillion, friend was 5’5 and she was comfortable. The ride was smooth and not too bumpy or unsettling her. Will have to check the seat and comfort after a long highway ride. Taller pillions are going to have a problem sitting. I will be adding a flat footpeg which protects the silencer which is an aftermarket product. People who sit on the bike for the 1st time tend to rest their feet on silencers. I went on a few longer rides, the seat is weird to me, some days it is awesome and on some days my a** starts paining very quickly. This is my first experience on bike rides so can't comment much on it.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190710207368768_20191107_235917066.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190684029944814_20191107_235850889.jpeg

Once the bike comes to a halt the fun part starts, the front footpeg positioning on the interceptor is weird, one has to move the bike like a duck to avoid getting hit by the peg positioning, I have got multiple scars on my legs when the bike was new. But right now I know how to move around with the bike.

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 12440
Size:  1.19 MB

Headlamp, Horn & Mirrors - The mirrors do add the classic character of the bike. I find them adequate and feel spot on if you adjust them properly. Headlamp throw is awesome, more than adequate. Right now the throw is on a higher side planning to get it a bit lower to focus more on the road. Only grouse is that during the day time the flasher is pretty useless, barely noticeable. Add to the Bs4 switch.
The Horn is very loud and glad that auto walas and small tempos give way once you honk at them.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190712510954184_20191107_235919370.jpeg

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190694873390645_20191107_235901732.jpg

Fuel Tank & Efficiency - Fuel tank is 13.7 Liters and Engine Oil is around 3.1 liters, Fuel efficiency for my 1st refill was 17-18 kmpl, but most of the riding was 1st gear and 2nd gear which also included a lot of idling. But this has increased to 20-22kmpl in city, haven’t yet gone on a proper long ride so can’t comment on this yet. Should see an increase in fuel efficiency once I get the 1st service done.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20191027_022044.jpg
Guards Admiring the beauty too

Warranty - Bike has 3yr warranty and RSA. I had asked the sales rep regarding the BS3 switch change, he suggested that don't do anything if you plan to keep this bike for a long time. RE service are serious when it comes to warranties, avoid aftermarket products if you want warranties.

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-lrm_export_190685844658876_20191107_235852704.jpeg
Office parking

Completed around 250kms when writing this. Waiting to complete 500kms for the 1st service. Won’t be going for any aftermarket parts, planning to keep the bike stock. Would be nice if all team-bhp interceptor & GT’s from Mumbai meet someday, I am not added to any interceptor group till now would be great if someone knows how this is done.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 8th November 2019 at 03:03.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 08:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on the beautiful machine. A keeper, IMHO as well!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 08:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Lovely writing about a beautiful bike.

I recently rode one of these and the lack of vibrations and noise was so amazing.

All the best and wish you many many miles.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 11:35   #4
BHPian

Conngratulations. The bike is a beauty. Suggest you look at a 10L magnetic tank bag to carry documents if there is no cubby under the seat.

Do get a bash plate and engine guard installed if you haven't done so already.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 16:11   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on this beautiful machine Amrut. The Interceptor is an amazing machine - have ridden it once and it doesn't feel like a normal Royal Enfield at all.

Please do post a review on the back seat comfort. Have heard a lot of negative reviews due to the high set footpegs.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 16:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the beautiful bike!! Well detailed review and nice pictures.

You said you are graduating from a scooter, that's a big jump from a 8 bhp AT two wheeler to a 45 bhp 6-geared motorcycle. I don't know your riding style, but all I would want you to know is that you need to take things slowly until you understand and communicate with the motorcycle completely. These bikes can do serious speeds (have ridden the INT650 ) without even you realising it, and those beautiful brakes inspire confidence. Please don't let this confidence fool you. I have been riding motorcycles for 2 decades now, and even now, if I have a large time period without riding and get on my RC390, it does take me aback when I rip it to its limits at how fast these machines can close gaps and how even their super effective brakes cannot help if we are a bit careless. Also, coming from scooters, the probability of lugging the engine is also high. I hope you don't have that habit.

Wishing you thousands of km of safe and happy riding !

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th November 2019 at 16:56.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on a lovely bike! Am glad to see the silver becoming more and more popular. According to me , this is the best colour on the interceptor and goes so well with its classy lines. Much better than the Miranda orange.
I myself am torn between the Thunderbird 500 and this. I know you can't compare the two, but I find the Thunderbird a bit more accommodating to my large frame than the Interceptor.
Sorry to hijack your thread but a quick question. Does it make sense to pick up the Thunderbird now with the new model around the corner? From the spyshots I hate the new look they giving it and love what's currently on sale. Will I regret it later? Also looking for pre owned ones.
Thanks and congrats again.
Hamza123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 17:28   #8
BHPian

Beautiful color, the silver makes this bike looks like the modern retro classic bike that is. All the best and wish you many miles of happy riding.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 21:04   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the lovely bike. Enjoyed reading the whole buying journey

In fact being a past owner of the original RD350 in late 80s, I also went thru the same emotions as yours to buy a used one or not and given the same issues as you pointed out, I finally settled for a pre-owned Bonneville SE since the RE650 was not introduced then. Anyways the spoke wheels give the best looks for retro bikes but the puncture fixing on the road is a real pain so I prefer alloys with tubeless. Anyways in your case that can be remedied with the preventive application of tire & tube sealants like Formula X etc. in advance

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable motoring on the 650.

P.S Btw, nice pics What camera did you click the pics. Mobile or DSLR

Last edited by Haroon : 9th November 2019 at 21:08.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 21:50   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on this wonderful machine!
Classic looks with great engine its a real keeper.
All the best and wish you many miles of happy riding.
Enjoy and Ride safe.
tejas2323 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:43   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Amrut,
Welcome to the 650 Twins club. Happy rides ahead.

2 things I would suggest on your 1st service.
1. Take it on a weekday and if possible take the day off. because,
2. Ask them to check and adjust the tappet, it is well known to have tappet issues from 600km. This alone would take 3 hours.

Try to get it done from a reputed service center, preferably RE owned. Most others try to change the oil and filter and say the service is done. because, adjusting tappets is time consuming and they are not suppose to charge for the same!

Happy mile munching ahead.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Conngratulations. The bike is a beauty. Suggest you look at a 10L magnetic tank bag to carry documents if there is no cubby under the seat.
Do get a bash plate and engine guard installed if you haven't done so already.
Thanks mate, currently using a sling-type to carry documents and stuff when going on a ride. I have got the bash plate & engine guards on the bike from day one they are a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congrats on this beautiful machine Amrut. The Interceptor is an amazing machine - have ridden it once and it doesn't feel like a normal Royal Enfield at all.

Please do post a review on the back seat comfort. Have heard a lot of negative reviews due to the high set footpegs.
Thank you, yet to go out with a proper well-built adult on the bike. Shall post this review soon. All the pillion riders sat were short in height

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congrats on the beautiful bike!! Well detailed review and nice pictures.

I don't know your riding style, but all I would want you to know is that you need to take things slowly until you understand and communicate with the motorcycle completely. These bikes can do serious speeds (have ridden the INT650 ) without even you realising it, and those beautiful brakes inspire confidence. Please don't let this confidence fool you. I have been riding motorcycles for 2 decades now, and even now, if I have a large time period without riding and get on my RC390, it does take me aback when I rip it to its limits at how fast these machines can close gaps and how even their super effective brakes cannot help if we are a bit careless. Also, coming from scooters, the probability of lugging the engine is also high. I hope you don't have that habit.
Wishing you thousands of km of safe and happy riding !
Thanks for your concern buddy, I was more scared about the same when I purchased the bike. Delivery day was the 1st day when I was going to ride a geared bike properly. But that 5-minute ride made me confident. I had gone to show a friend's brother the bike along with another friend who owned a GT 650. Friends brother also commented the same about the power, "Ride safe, aatang hai ye bikes"

Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20190929_221101.jpg

I am a very safe driver and now a rider, rather reach late than having troubles. I make sure to open the throttle only on open highways and not drive like a hooligan. I have been driving cars for many years now so know that lugging engine is the worst you can do to the machine. The first few days on the Interceptor were 1st and 2nd gear riding to understand the bike. One can literally ride the bike without any accelerator input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Congratulations on a lovely bike!
I myself am torn between the Thunderbird 500 and this. I know you can't compare the two, but I find the Thunderbird a bit more accommodating to my large frame than the Interceptor.
Sorry to hijack your thread but a quick question. Does it make sense to pick up the Thunderbird now with the new model around the corner? From the spyshots I hate the new look they giving it and love what's currently on sale. Will I regret it later? Also looking for pre owned ones.
Thanks and congrats again.
Thank you buddy, but trust me 2 of my friends booked the Interceptor after riding my bike and 1 is in a dilemma to let go his 350 for this. This is a good bike but with few drawbacks and the seat is not as good as other RE's. I would suggest wait for the updated one, and the older version should be available at discounts. This way you wouldn't regret anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats on the lovely bike. Enjoyed reading the whole buying journey

In fact being a past owner of the original RD350 in late 80s, I also went thru the same emotions as yours to buy a used one or not and given the same issues as you pointed out, I finally settled for a pre-owned Bonneville SE since the RE650 was not introduced then. Anyways the spoke wheels give the best looks for retro bikes but the puncture fixing on the road is a real pain so I prefer alloys with tubeless. Anyways in your case that can be remedied with the preventive application of tire & tube sealants like Formula X etc. in advance
Wish you many many miles of enjoyable motoring on the 650.

P.S Btw, nice pics What camera did you click the pics. Mobile or DSLR
Thanks mate, will be getting hold of Formula X soon and trying it out. All pictures are shot with smartphone camera, Huawei P30 Pro.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 00:12   #13
BHPian

Hi Amrut,

Congratulations on the Interceptor 650!
Great photographs too, I especially liked the first one with the Siddhivinayak temple in the background!

Taking the liberty to offer a couple of suggestions:

1. Get a full face helmet. I'm currently using a MT Thunder 3 SV and would highly recommend it. It's rated 4 stars by SHARP despite having an internal sun visor and is also certified by DOT & ECE. Do think about investing in proper riding gloves and a mesh jacket too, if you are going to frequent the highways.

Especially with the Metro construction happening all over Mumbai, incidents like this can occur:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Hello everyone,

So this happened on March 1st. I was on the way to my cousin's place from work and was stuck in traffic on Link Road in Goregaon due to ongoing Metro construction. Suddenly, l feel a thud on my full face helmet and look around to realise a gentleman on a scooter behind me, wearing an open face helmet is bleeding from his cheek. What happened was that a stone, from I don't know where, had hit my head, deflected off my helmet and landed on said gentleman's cheek. Had he been wearing a full face helmet he would have avoided the impact, just like I did.

I humbly request all Bhp-ians to not only wear helmets, but also to wear proper full face helmets even if you ride 'just a scooter' or 'only a short distance' or any other scenario where an open face helmet may be 'useful'.
2. Since you have graduated from a lightweight scooter to a 200+ kg Interceptor, not to mention the huge difference in performance, it would be a good idea to ride around Hill Road in Bandra early in the morning , especially the inclined winding road leading up to Mount Mary Church before you take it to the highway. This will give you an idea of how the bike will behave on winding ghat roads and boost your confidence. That's what I did, when I first got my Gixxer and I will repeat the same process with the CB300R next year!

I wish you many million miles of lasting memories on your Interceptor!
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:36   #14
BHPian

Congratulations!.

The bike is one hell of a looker and going by the umpteen reviews on media, it seems to have broken free from the usual drama of shoddy RE workmanship and moved up many a notch.
The only negative point, if any, as I see it is the puny rear tyres. I feel that a bike of this displacement should have had a beefier tyre to complete the look. Another addition if I may would have been to have spoked wheels running tubeless tyres, like in the V strom.

Welcome to the world of geared mobikes and wishing you miles of safe, enjoyable soul stirring rides.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:45   #15
BHPian

Congrats! Thats a nice write up and great pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
- Feels very heavy while moving around from standstill.
Will be easier to manage once you get used to the weight couple of months down the line.
Quote:
- Footpeg positioning is very odd both front and rear.
You are at an advantage here, since you are 5'11 you will soon find the front footpegs less bothersome than shorter riders who need more time.
Quote:
- Engine lacks the silky shine which rest of the bike has, needs waxing and polishing.
Engine case is polished metal and not chrome plated so the difference.
Quote:
- Tubed tire, not all mechanics know or have tools to fix this.
Yes. It takes skill to carefully remove the tyre from the wheel. I was lucky to find a puncture guy who knew what he was doing and charged Rs 300. The service center guy said some bikes ended up with bent rear disc due to inexperienced puncture walas.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks