Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 00:24   #16
BANNED

Re: DIY: Assembling your motorcycle clutch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
All great. Only, it's not really as easy as it looks........
Agreed there are changes between models but the basics remain the same. Because a clutch is a clutch is a clutch.

In the Pulsar's they actually are all the same with the exception of the first friction plate, the timing alignment should be maintained if you're removing the clutch basket as the counter balancer is linked to the clutch basket.

Hence you need to time the primary pinion and counter balancer before installing the clutch basket, something I've done but not mentioned in this DIY guide as its model specific, same goes for setting the scissor gear timing which again is model specific.

Plus this is about assembling the plates, hence there is no need to remove the basket, the only reason I did so was to have a closer look at it and also change my scissor gear.

As for Honda's and some other Japanese machines, the plates do come with notches on the friction plates, hence why the ideal means to do the job would be to remove one plate at a time and reinstall in the same order as removed, surprisingly even the workshop manuals don't mention anything about the notches yet we proactively do so.

The outermost plate would be off-set,

DIY: Assembling your motorcycle clutch!-img20191015wa0051.jpg

But that is pretty much visually evident from the basket design.

Hence you see why I find it really hard to mess things up, but yes there is always that one guy who misses a crucial step and ends up paying the price.

So I guess the only way about this would be to simply understand the What's, Why's and Where's before picking up the wrench.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 26th December 2019, 00:03   #17
BANNED

Re: DIY: Assembling your motorcycle clutch!

Changed friction plates on a friends Splendor, what better way to spend Christmas than to work on a motorcycle with like minded bikers eh?

DIY: Assembling your motorcycle clutch!-img20191225wa0037.jpg

DIY: Assembling your motorcycle clutch!-img20191225wa0034.jpg

Surprisingly even the clutch center nut had regular threads, on my Puslar only the centrifugal filter has regular threads, the clutch center nut is reverse thread.

You need different special tools to remove both nuts, the center one can be removed with the Puslar type but the centrifugal filter nut is of a different size, we removed it using a rift and a hammer, Indian style.

And you really need the clutch holder to remove the center nut, jugads simply failed. A nearby FNG was kind enough to lend us their tool being Christmas and all.

Friction plates from Bosch costs 100ish and OEM ones cost 300ish, we went for OEM ones.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks