Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 13:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Kawasaki Versys 650 in today's time?

Hi all,

A quick shout out to everyone. I currently own 3 bikes (2 bullets and a Triumph Bonnie T100), I am on the lookout for an adventure/sports adventure bike.

Does a Versys 650 at almost 8 lacs on road have a case for itself?

The bike I am looking for will be for 8/10 day road trips (a mix of on road and offroad {by default - given the status of some of Indias roads} and my weekend rides.

For my weekend rides, I am more than happy with my Bonnie, but when I took the Bonnie for a Rajasthan trip, given the bumpy roads and poorly laid tarmac, she wasnt very happy in that situation and hence.

I ask this questions given the impending launch of the many adventure bikes.

My budget is to not go over 8 or 8.5 lacs. As I will have to spend around 70 K on accessories

Cheers,
Ac
ac 427 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 13:54   #2
BANNED

re: A Kawasaki Versys 650 in today's time?

Checkout yourself once specially those tiny wheels, non adjustable suspension and poor quality, without any refreance I took out Versys from my list few years ago when it came to Bangalore for the first time.
Used Triumph Tiger would be best suited for your need or even Suzuki V storm 650.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 13:59   #3

The Versys 650 is a very capable bike On and Off road.
But currently, with the entry of the KTM Adventure 390, I think that would be more suitable for your needs, and way within your budget. More money to travel.
Other than maintaining 100+ speeds on the Highway all day long, which I think the KTM will be able to do as well, I don't think you will need the 650.
It's just my 2 cents. Final decision rests with you and your preferences of riding posture, power delivery etc etc.
Hope this helps.
SkyWraith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:11   #4
BHPian

A lot of folks, including some forum members, have toured extensively on the Versys. A well maintained used example is worth a look.

There are many sparingly used superbikes on sale in the big cities. Negotiate well and you could land a good deal.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Checkout yourself once specially those tiny wheels, non adjustable suspension and poor quality, without any refreance I took out Versys from my list few years ago when it came to Bangalore for the first time.
Used Triumph Tiger would be best suited for your need or even Suzuki V storm 650.
1. Those wheels are for the street like your Ducati multistrada or the BMW s1000 XR. They carve up the mountains and your tiger won't even keep up.

2. Showa separate function forks are a game changer. Suspension is fully adjustable front and rear. Your tiger does not get it unless you fork out 14 lakhs or something. Not even an.option on the strom.

3. Poor quality? Uttering the words poor quality and a japanese marque together is an oxymoron. The euros are nowhere even in the same benchmark. I don't want to get into a forthcoming argument, but in my head japanese = bullet proof everything.

I will.never trust a ducati or a BMW at these price points. EVER.

However i agree that a vstrom is a better bet at that price point.

Dont beat me up when we meet on the roads sometime btw. We know each other but luckily you don't know me behind my handle

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th December 2019 at 11:42. Reason: Edited on request
Red Liner is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:23   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
However i agree that a vstrom is a better bet at that price point.
Dont beat me up when we meet on the roads sometime btw. We know each other but luckily you don't know me behind my handle
You answered it that why not versys with vstrom
Personally I didn't liked its overall build quality, fit n finish, it immediatly fallen in my, "I dont want to be seen with this bike catagory".
It is in the adv sports class but cant even think of comparing it to MTS or BMW XR.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th December 2019 at 11:43. Reason: Edited post within quotes on request
Old 13th December 2019, 14:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An Versys 650 in todays time?

Quote:
You answered it that why not versys with vstrom
Personally I didn't liked its overall build quality, fit n finish, it immediatly fallen in my, "I dont want to be seen with this bike catagory".
It is in the adv sports class but cant even think of comparing it to MTS or BMW XR.
A vstrom is better for me because its a bit more offroad friendly in a similar package. But loses out on sophisticated suspension and the engine is not as happy on the highway.

If predominantly onroad, versys will keep you smiling far more with that sprightly engine and butter smooth gearbox.

Comparing it to multi or xr is ridiculous because those cost twice almost of a new versys. I only said wheel config is the same.

Sire, you are definitely not the average joe
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 14:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
those tiny wheels....
Majority of sports bikes in the world are shod with 120/70/R17 at the front -- the same as Versys. The 17 inch wheel at the front is a good corner carver.
Tiger XR has 19 inch wheel and the XC 21-- which are much better for tackling bad roads than Versys but at the cost of handling.

If your need of bike for ‘off road capabilities’ is mainly to tackle bad roads, then Versys should suffice.

The category of Sports adv tourers available in India is limited. After Versys, the next set of tourers with R17 is 1200S/Capo/S1000XR and all these cost almost as much as a Versys and Tiger combined. This also explains the popularity of Ninja1000.
highlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 15:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think since you already have the Bonnie, you can look at the KTM adventure.

The Versys is one heavy and huge bike. The size is what will keep me away from this bike.

Even at 5'11, I felt the bike to be huge. (may be because I test drove the 390 and Versys back to back a few years back at the Indira Nagar Showroom)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 16:24   #10
BHPian

Re: A Versys 650 in todays time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Yes it does make an excellent case. So does the V-Strom 650 which is what I have. There are several detailed threads on both bikes in this forum (including mine) which I'm sure your have read. I had a Bonneville too which I sold when upgrading. There is also a real chance that the Bonnie will not be ridden once you get an ADV so do keep that in mind.

Honestly some of the finer discussion points like the suspension differences between the two or the 17" vs 19" rims or the alloys vs spoked wheel debate or the v-twin vs the parallel twin character can continue for a very long time. It all comes down to how you ride and what you want from the bike. The machine is largely incidental in this process.

Splitting the two is hard and will come down to personal preferences. Extensively test drive both and see what you like better. You will know.

I wouldn't consider a smaller bike given that you are used to the power delivery of a Bonnie. The 650s have that lovely midrange which is where all the fun lies. Best of luck with your purchase.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 13th December 2019 at 16:25.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:25   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sire, you are definitely not the average joe
Thank you, felt you definitely had a Versys 650 in past
Still I can't digest the kind of fuel tank design it had along with very weird overall appearance. Felt it is just stretched Ninja 650 fixed into bigger shocks. Trust me I don't justify the bike based on whether I had it in the past or not.

Take example of Baby GS, I gave a nightmare to BMW India along with our own local dealership, everyone is aware of the obvious reason and even though I was happy with its quality, I was not convinced with the power delivery.

End of the day the choices we make defines us, isn't it.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2019 at 10:15. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th December 2019, 11:25   #12
BHPian

Re: A Kawasaki Versys 650 in today's time?

Quote:
Hi all,

A quick shout out to everyone. I currently own 3 bikes (2 bullets and a Triumph Bonnie T100), I am on the lookout for an adventure/sports adventure bike.

The bike I am looking for will be for 8/10 day road trips (a mix of on road and offroad {by default - given the status of some of Indias roads} and my weekend rides.

For my weekend rides, I am more than happy with my Bonnie, but when I took the Bonnie for a Rajasthan trip, given the bumpy roads and poorly laid tarmac, she wasnt very happy in that situation and hence.

I ask this questions given the impending launch of the many adventure bikes.

My budget is to not go over 8 or 8.5 lacs. As I will have to spend around 70 K on accessories

Cheers,
Ac
I will say the answer to this question depends upon what speeds you wish to cruise at while on highways. If you are happy cruising at leissurely 100 kmph, ktm 390 adventure should be enough and it will be also very lightweight compared to bigger machines. But, if you wish to feel like riding a powerful machine, frequently doing 150 + kmph, versys 650 is the ideal bike within your budget. And if you want performance close to superbikes, versys 100 is the value for money choice at 13 L while Multistrada 1260 S and XR is the way to go if budget isnt a concern.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 11:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I will say the answer to this question depends upon what speeds you wish to cruise at while on highways. If you are happy cruising at leissurely 100 kmph, ktm 390 adventure should be enough and it will be also very lightweight compared to bigger machines. But, if you wish to feel like riding a powerful machine, frequently doing 150 + kmph, versys 650 is the ideal bike within your budget. And if you want performance close to superbikes, versys 100 is the value for money choice at 13 L while Multistrada 1260 S and XR is the way to go if budget isnt a concern.
Thanks much guys.

I ideally feel that in India for a 2 wheeler anything above 100 kmph is risky

Here's what I have decided. I will take a TD of the 390 adventure, and then take a call.

I abs love the Versys and its no-nonsense behavior, but the 390 at the price is very delicious (given the electronics).

Also the 390 is a proven mill.

Thanks & Cheers,
Ac
ac 427 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much guys.

I ideally feel that in India for a 2 wheeler anything above 100 kmph is risky

Here's what I have decided. I will take a TD of the 390 adventure, and then take a call.

I abs love the Versys and its no-nonsense behavior, but the 390 at the price is very delicious (given the electronics).

Also the 390 is a proven mill.

Thanks & Cheers,
Ac
I would say the Versys is a more proven mill to be honest.

The 390 is a high compression ratio single cylinder at the end of the day while the Versys is a twin cylinder. Heat management and overall engine life will any day be better on the Versys than the 390. I still won't discount the 373cc engine on the Duke of coolant-oil mixing issues which are a pain to diagnose.

For touring needs, the 390 adventure should fit the bill for the most part. Cruising speeds of 100-120 are a piece of cake for the 390.

Last edited by vishy76 : 24th December 2019 at 12:01.
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:13   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
For touring needs, the 390 adventure should fit the bill for the most part. Cruising speeds of 100-120 are a piece of cake for the 390.
Just adding a point of view that seems to have not been considered.

I've not ridden the ADV390 but with my experience on the Duke 390, I'd suggest that potential buyers need to factor in level of feedback as well, the KTM seems to pour in bucket loads of that, which might excite some but I'd simply keep away from it as it tends to wear one down prematurely and that is something you'd find hard to ignore on multiple day rides.

If nothing I'd suggest to at least take a long ride before putting down the dough.
ashwinprakas is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks