Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 20:19   #31
BHPian

My Suzuki Gixxer 250 : First impressions after 1500+ kms

I don't see much ownership experiences and impressions of Suzuki Gixxer 250 (naked) here so decided to post mine. I hope prospective buyers are going to find it quite helpful and informative for their buying decision.
Its been just over 3 months since I got this motorcycle and I've completed first service and have clocked over 1500kms on it. Previously I owned a TVS Apache RTR 180 and wanted a VFM upgrade. Why I went for this bike only? Because I never wanted to own a RE and also not a fan of fully faired motorcycles. I wanted a bike strictly under 2lac and this suited the best for me. So here's me sharing likes and dislikes of owning this bike:

-> Low profile or should I say no profile? This motorcycle is almost invisible on road. It is very compact and plus its colour makes it really hard to get noticed by others including cops. Perfect for an introvert like me.

-> 250cc engine churns out 26bhp which provides ample amount of power for start-stop city riding as well as for chilled out highway rides.

-> Handling and flickability is really good but turning radius should've been a bit less.

-> For the starting 100+kms I didn't like the seat as it was pushing me towards the tank. But now I know that it takes some time to adjust to your seating position and once the foam of the seat settles in, its super comfortable.

-> The mileage I am getting so far is 35+kmpl (city + highway combined) which I think is pretty good for a 250cc bike.

-> I've read several bad reviews about Suzuki after sales service but I am quite happy with it. I've been to 2 service centres and I was satisfied with their service. Maybe the bike is new, that's why they are being nice? I hope not.

Dislikes:
-> Horn is pathetic for a quarter litre motorcycle. My previous Apache had dual horns which are really needed for Indian traffic. Going to get another horn on 2nd service.

-> Digital display should have distance to empty instead of battery voltage. I mean, who ever wants to check the battery voltage of their motorcycle? Nobody.

-> Instead of that engine rpm led, it should have a side stand warning led. (I know it has engine auto cut off when side-stand is engaged but still.) Again, a much more useful feature ignored.

-> Also that dual exhaust plus its mediocre sound. Dear suzuki please stop using the same exhaust on every product. An exhaust sound gives the motorcycle its character, so try differentiating your products by at least giving different exhaust sound plus design to every product.

-> This is subjective but at least more color options. Or maybe a little bit more graphics to make it stand out. 99.99% of customers don't like to keep themselves low/no profile.

But overall, I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to cover so many more miles on it. Planning a long ride on it for upcoming month(s), will make sure to share tour report here.
Also, no teambhp post is complete without some photos so here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: My Suzuki Gixxer 250-img_20221002_181107001.jpg  

Review: My Suzuki Gixxer 250-img_20221002_181052942.jpg  

Review: My Suzuki Gixxer 250-img_20221002_181021111.jpg  

mad4nfs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:30   #32

Re: Review: My Suzuki Gixxer 250

Well congratulations on the new bike and wishing you wonderful miles ahead.

I too own Apache RTR 180 and looking for replacement. But I am looking for more of advs and considering VStorm 250 as a replacement. I still have time, so I will explore options and then decide.
Amty27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 21:44   #33
BANNED

Re: My Suzuki Gixxer 250 : First impressions after 1500+ kms

Great review, short and to the point. This is bike is a hidden gem in 250 segment.

The bike looks cool. The knuckle guards you have added looks great and elevates the look, subtle but striking. Are those from the V-Strom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4nfs View Post
-> This is subjective but at least more color options. Or maybe a little bit more graphics to make it stand out. 99.99% of customers don't like to keep themselves low/no profile.
True that, this is one of the main reasons for this bike being a sales dud. Who on earth launches their most premium offering with just 2 colours black and grey? Only Suzuki does, that too in India where people celebrate 'Holi'. Only the MotoGP colour was added later.

Yamaha always had dozens of colours for FZs and is constantly updating them with new graphics. That's why FZ is still the 150 segment leader. Suzuki should learn.

Quote:
-> Also that dual exhaust plus its mediocre sound. Dear suzuki please stop using the same exhaust on every product. An exhaust sound gives the motorcycle its character, so try differentiating your products by at least giving different exhaust sound plus design to every product.
Ha ha, the exhaust was a bit iconic back in the day (2015) when Gixxer 155 was launched and was selling well, now it has become dated. Thanks to Suzuki's non existent marketing, Gixxer is now a sales dud and almost forgotten and this exhaust is an eye sore.

They even put the same in my VStrom but they have tilted it upwards to increase clearance and it sounds throaty and thumpy at lower revs, which I like. But why? Seems like, they are following Maruti Suzuki which uses the same window switches for the last 2 decades, maybe they have too many exhausts made already?

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 6th January 2023 at 21:51.
tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 22:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
Great review, short and to the point. This is bike is a hidden gem in 250 segment.

The bike looks cool. The knuckle guards you have added looks great and elevates the look, subtle but striking. Are those from the V-Strom?

True that, this is one of the main reasons for this bike being a sales dud. Who on earth launches their most premium offering with just 2 colours black and grey? Only Suzuki does, that too in India where people celebrate 'Holi'. Only the MotoGP colour was added later.

Yamaha always had dozens of colours for FZs and is constantly updating them with new graphics. That's why FZ is still the 150 segment leader. Suzuki should learn.

Ha ha, the exhaust was a bit iconic back in the day (2015) when Gixxer 155 was launched and was selling well, now it has become dated. Thanks to Suzuki's non existent marketing, Gixxer is now a sales dud and almost forgotten and this exhaust is an eye sore.

They even put the same in my VStrom but they have tilted it upwards to increase clearance and it sounds throaty and thumpy at lower revs, which I like. But why? Seems like, they are following Maruti Suzuki which uses the same window switches for the last 2 decades, maybe they have too many exhausts made already?
The knuckle guards and usb charger are listed as official accessory for gixxer 250 and gixxer 250 sf so I got them. True, they do look good and also are really useful.

Agreed with FZ comparison. Its also kinda sad that we have to compare it with an underpowered bike. FZ sells really well because of the bling bling color and bulky big bike profile. This is where Suzuki messed up with Gixxer 250.

"maybe they have too many exhausts made already?" Might be true because if they can do it with cars, they can do it with motorcycles because same company i.e. Suzuki!
Old 8th January 2023, 06:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see much ownership experiences and impressions of Suzuki Gixxer 250 (naked) here so decided to post mine. I hope prospective buyers are going to find it quite helpful and informative for their buying decision.
Its been just over 3 months since I got this motorcycle and I've completed first service and have clocked over 1500kms on it. Previously I owned a TVS Apache RTR 180 and wanted a VFM upgrade. Why I went for this bike only? Because I never wanted to own a RE and also not a fan of fully faired motorcycles. I wanted a bike strictly under 2lac and this suited the best for me. So here's me sharing likes and dislikes of owning this bike:

-> Low profile or should I say no profile? This motorcycle is almost invisible on road. It is very compact and plus its colour makes it really hard to get noticed by others including cops. Perfect for an introvert like me.

-> 250cc engine churns out 26bhp which provides ample amount of power for start-stop city riding as well as for chilled out highway rides.

-> Handling and flickability is really good but turning radius should've been a bit less.

-> For the starting 100+kms I didn't like the seat as it was pushing me towards the tank. But now I know that it takes some time to adjust to your seating position and once the foam of the seat settles in, its super comfortable.

-> The mileage I am getting so far is 35+kmpl (city + highway combined) which I think is pretty good for a 250cc bike.

-> I've read several bad reviews about Suzuki after sales service but I am quite happy with it. I've been to 2 service centres and I was satisfied with their service. Maybe the bike is new, that's why they are being nice? I hope not.

Dislikes:
-> Horn is pathetic for a quarter litre motorcycle. My previous Apache had dual horns which are really needed for Indian traffic. Going to get another horn on 2nd service.

-> Digital display should have distance to empty instead of battery voltage. I mean, who ever wants to check the battery voltage of their motorcycle? Nobody.

-> Instead of that engine rpm led, it should have a side stand warning led. (I know it has engine auto cut off when side-stand is engaged but still.) Again, a much more useful feature ignored.

But overall, I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to cover so many more miles on it. Planning a long ride on it for upcoming month(s), will make sure to share tour report here.
Also, no teambhp post is complete without some photos so here they are:
Congratulations on your bike !! Happy riding
I test ride this machine in 2019 December before going for the CB300R in Feb 2020
The biggest issue for me was that I was sliding into the tank every time I jabbed onto the brakes and this was not okay for me and although you mentioned you 'settled in' i wasn't sure of this happening. Apart from the non led indicators, exhaust and some other bits of build quality leaving something to be desired
I too loved this gem of an engine and the handling
Cheers !!
tc89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 10:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc89 View Post
Congratulations on your bike !! Happy riding
I test ride this machine in 2019 December before going for the CB300R in Feb 2020
The biggest issue for me was that I was sliding into the tank every time I jabbed onto the brakes and this was not okay for me and although you mentioned you 'settled in' i wasn't sure of this happening. Apart from the non led indicators, exhaust and some other bits of build quality leaving something to be desired
I too loved this gem of an engine and the handling
Cheers !!
Thanks. And yes I was really worried about that sliding forward. I am mostly going to use it for long weekend rides/touring and such uncomfortable seat made me think I made a big mistake. I was thinking of aftermarket seat options but as the time passed, the seat became perfect for long rides.

Also when I was deciding for the upgrade, CB300R was a very strong contender but the price and small fuel tank made me pass on the Honda.
Old 9th January 2023, 00:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. And yes I was really worried about that sliding forward. I am mostly going to use it for long weekend rides/touring and such uncomfortable seat made me think I made a big mistake. I was thinking of aftermarket seat options but as the time passed, the seat became perfect for long rides.

Also when I was deciding for the upgrade, CB300R was a very strong contender but the price and small fuel tank made me pass on the Honda.
The price I've learnt is the price one pays for quality
Although with the 2022 CB300R one cannot justify the same, i got the last batch of the 2019 model which was a CKD and hence I was assured of some excellent quality of parts, maintaining this one has been quite light on the pocket. Let the opinion of journalists not cloud your own, the small tank of the CB is good for 400KM or more, depending on how you ride this machine it gives you a highway milage of at least 42 to 45, i leave the math and comparisons to wiser minds.
tc89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks