Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 19:35   #1
BHPian

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan

Come end of December, there was a whole lot of discussion between the wife and I, as to what would be the best way to spend our time so that we could end 2019 on a high (maybe literally in terms of altitude) and begin the new one fresher and more satiated with our lives.

What better than our beloved 2 wheeler steed.

Some back story - Having previously owned a Bajaj Discover (125cc) and then a Bajaj Pulsar AS (200cc), I quickly realized that an upgrade was important if I was to take long distance riding with the wife, a bit more seriously.

The upgrade from Discover to Pulsar was primarily due to a boyish urge for more power and speed. The Pulsar AS is a beautiful machine. It is an excellent bike for city and touring (only if you're alone). It's got good punch but plenty of vibrations above 90kmph. The suspension is a bit harsh according to me, both front and rear. The reason for upgrade was primarily due to the suspension and want for a more comfortable bike for both, rider and pillion, while not losing on the power aspect.

Some pics of the Pulsar AS 200:

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20180726_214156_hht.jpg
Side angle from where I found it to look quite formidable.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20180726_214226_hht.jpg

I laid out 3 options that sounded feasible in terms of finance and seemed to tick some of the checkboxes:
1. RE Himalayan - BSIV had almost everything sorted though the power figures sounded ridiculously low for a 400cc bike, but torque figures seemed adequate. 200mm/180mm front/rear suspension respectively sounded sweet. At on-road 2 lakhs, it sounded like a good deal.
2. Bajaj Dominar - Bajaj have learnt to weave magic, especially for the Indian audience. They are the first to offer the latest features, but shockingly at such a low cost, that it just doesn't make sense. Not complaining. Enough and more online reviews of the Dominar will tell you that it has everything you need for long-distance touring. It all sounded too good to be true.
3. Mahindra Mojo - I always felt as though this bike was under-appreciated. Its looks maybe polarizing, but on paper, the specs look very appealing.

I test-rode the Dominar first. Going from the Pulsar's 23bhp to 35bhp, was a bit of a shock for me. I found myself an inadequate rider for that much power. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the test-ride. The apprehension was me as a rider, not the bike and what it was capable of doing. The bike seemed very heavy and manouvering it seemed like a task. I test rode the ABS model and attempted hard braking immediately and must say, it was more than impressive. On purpose, I went through a few potholes and therein lies the achilles heel of this bike. The shudder ran through till my shoulders and my body didn't take it too kindly. I parked my thoughts here and decided to test the others for comparison.

The Himalayan was tested with 2 up, rider and pillion. My wife was happy as hell and I couldn't but smile at the whole experience. My initial thought was that it was quite cumbersome to get onto the saddle (this I soon realized to be the best task of my day, as you'll read later). Apart from that, the ride itself was all-convincing. The seating posture, the pull it offered and well, just the way you sit IN the bike as opposed to sitting ON it, made me realize that this was going to end up being more of an emotional decision rather than a purely logical one. That exhaust note ain't half bad too (not a big fan of the thump).

I sat pillion on my friend's Mojo and realized that while I may absolutely love riding the bike, the pillion seat is too small and could offer discomfort over long periods, especially with luggage mounted.

By this time you'd have realized that I had my heart set on the RE. On-road price in Bangalore at the time was INR 2,06,000. The booking was done the next day for a token amount of 5k. The bike was ready within 2 weeks. At the time I booked it, the colors available were Snow (White), Granite (Black) and Sleet (Camo). I didn't have any preference but the wife was clear on white. The delivery experience itself was quite smooth. I was explained pretty much everything that I had already seen from Youtube videos.

From then to now, it's been a year and 3 months, and a decent 19000 kms. Primary usage has been within city, a daily total of 40kms up and down. The wife and I also took it for a journey of ~1000kms for a 3 day ride. Meanwhile, we covered Bhutan on a RE Thunderbird 350 as well, so we both were getting used to the concept of long distance riding.

Coming straight to the point, let me list out what I like and dislike about the RE Himalayan:

1. Rider triangle - Arms upright and wide, legs bent at the knee just enough and back straight as opposed to leaning forward.
2. Suspension - 200mm travel in the front offers amazing support for you to tread over potholes in the city.
3. Pillion support - My wife can vouch for this. The seat is not too wide and not too narrow that you've to keep adjusting. It's just right.
4. Fuel tank - With a mileage of 30kmpl on highway and 27kmpl in city, you can do 400+ kms easily until the next pitstop.
5. Torque - Feels just right for a beginner. Throttle control can be a bit tricky on a wet day since the rear wheel tends to slide if you apply too much acceleration, but one learns over time (not saying no to Traction control, but at this price point???)
6. VFM - Absolute value for money if you're looking at a vehicle that can take you anywhere, anytime. Simple mechanics keep it from ever bothering you in the remotest of places. Although I haven't faced any issues that can't be handled at a nearby mechanic, I have seen enough and more tutorials online that allow for a DIY approach.
7. Luggage mount placeholders - Plenty provided on the bike itself without extra fitments.
8. Looks - This one's subjective, and to me, it looks rugged and purposeful.

Dislikes:
1. Engine - This one's a buzzkill just because of the fact that statistically, you know you're riding a 400cc engine that churns out a meagre 24.3 bhp, that's less than a 200cc KTM Duke, while weighing a good ~50 kilos more. On more than one occasion have I felt that cruising at 120+kmph becomes quite a cumbersome task (waiting for an RE 650cc ADV, simply due to the fact that it will be more affordable/serviceable).
2. Braking - I'm not complaining of the fact that mine does not have ABS (mine was purchased 1 month prior to the release of the ABS model). The setup is off-road biased, I get that, but simply put, the front lacks bite and one needs to squeeze the lever quite hard before the bike starts to respond. Meanwhile, the rear loves to lock up the wheel, something which you get used to pretty quickly. I prefer the 80/20 braking rule in general.
3. Tube tyres - Yes yes, spoke wheels, off-roading, the usual. But own a bike with tube tyres and one quickly realizes the messiness of it all. I own a Resqtech Micro Tyre Inflator for this very reason, to get me out of trouble for at least a brief period of time, until I can reach a "panchar" repair shop.
4. Hard clutch - Acts as good exercise for forearms on good days and just plain headache on bad days.
5. Engine heating - This one is not a big downer, but shoes and pants are a must.
6. Mud splatter - A rear-tyre hugger would be nice to have. On rainy days, the shoes and pants take quite a hit, and that's the rider. The pillion, well, they get literally dragged in mud.
7. Gearshifts - It is not smooth by any standard. All my shoes either have black marks on them or are partially torn.

With that out of the way, let me proceed with the plan itself. A coastal trip along the west coast in Kerala sounded sweet. Initial thought was to ride all the way to Kasaragod from Bengaluru, which made for a ~400 kms journey. We instead decided to take it easy starting the trip so that we could easily settle in, as opposed to burning out early on.

Having carefully curated our luggage and safety setup over the past year, we had the following ready at hand, along with a few modifications on the bike:

1. Viaterra Fly Magnetic Tank Bag – good for 24l of storage and acts as a backpack when off the bike. My wife being a photographer, we used this bag for keeping the lenses and certain essentials such as a hydration bladder, pair of warm gloves, goggles, bike papers and Driving License.
2. Rynox Nomad Saddlebags – 50l unexpanded storage was enough for a trip lasting 10-11 days. Its semi-rigid frame helps keep it above the upswept exhaust of the Himalayan.
3. Clip on windshield extension – Being 5 feet 11 inches tall, the Himalayan’s windshield does not protect me from the wind buffeting to the face. The windshield extension helps with evading the windblast all together. Makes for a very comfortable ride.
4. ZANA Saddle Stays – comes with an additional removable shield, that protects the saddlebags from the upswept exhaust.
5. HDT Customs Handlebar Risers – to make a comfortable rider triangle, even more so.
6. Auxiliary lights – mounted onto the sides of the headlamps to assist in night riding.
7. Extra clutch cable – I highly recommend this to Himalayan owners, as I faced the issue of my clutch wire breaking previously. I’ve read online that the Classic 350’s cable is recommended due to its length, making the clutch a tad bit lighter to use.
8. Tyre change - I opted for the MRF Mogrip Meteor as opposed to the Ceat Grip XL. I read reviews online that suggested it as being better on road, whic was my primary usage anyway.
9. Resqtech Micro Tyre Inflator - This one's a must for tube tyres.
10. RE Jaisalmer Summer Mesh jacket - This was available at a 40% discount on purchase of the bike. Being a mesh jacket, it's quite comfortable even in summer, within city riding.
11. Mototech Urbane Short Carbon Gloves - They provide an extremely snug fit, the extra bit of leather on the little finger providing extra grip to help ease the pain on the pinky finger as well.
12. Scrambler Air Women's Motorcycle Jacket - For the wife. This is a sweet deal, consisting of a warm liner and a water-proof liner.

And so, on 21st December, we started, bags packed, luggage mounted.

Home to Kushalnagar: Our journey began at 1.30PM, the first destination being Kushalnagar, which made for a good 6-hour journey covering around 260kms. Mandatory pitstops were made at darshinis along with way for kaapi and dosa. We reached around 7PM. Having serviced the Himalayan on the previous day, I was especially content with butter smooth gearshifts and the refinement felt from the engine. And so, a pleasant ride along with pleasant December weather, ensured we got a good night’s sleep.

Kusalnagar to Bekal: This stretch of 140kms we did, without almost any pitstops, except for one that included chai and some samosa.
The day’s ride was quite entertaining as we went through Madikeri, and the roads narrowing down with more and more bends, as we ventured into Kerala. Bekal Fort was quite scenic, overlooking the ocean. It was quite sultry, so some ice cream and lemon soda were much needed, provided within the fort itself. From there, the beach, for some quick sunset shots, and then back to the homestay.

Bekal to Kozhikode: The next day promised to provide a one-of-a-kind experience, as you’ll see ahead. Kozhikode (Calicut for others), is a mere 170kms away, and Maps will tell you that it’s just a 4-hour ride. But hold on – there’s a Drive-in beach on the way. For the uninitiated, a drive-in beach, literally, is a beach on which one is permitted to ride/drive their vehicle and freak the hell out on the beach! And what more, there wasn’t just one on the way, but TWO! The first was Muzhuppilangad Drive-in Beach. We had a blast here, spending nearly 2 hours. My wife and I took turns in experiencing the Himalayan in its full glory on the wet sand. All the luggage was unmounted for this experiment. Some saddling as well for pics on the gram. It was tough saying goodbye to this beach, but we promised each other (me to the RE) that we’d come back here again.
It was our intention to ride to Thikkodi beach and view the sunset there. Turns out, that too was a drive-in beach. Pleasant surprise indeed. Not much time was spent here since we had started losing light by then and the roads, though not narrow, were filled with big trucks and buses on both sides, making the ride, a not-so-fun affair.

Kozhikode to Kochi: The plan was to hit Kochi, but via Athirapalli Waterfalls. Much of the drive was on butter smooth highways. The real fun was the twisties climbing up to Athirapalli. Any biker would enjoy that. Although I don’t know the recommended approach, I felt comfortable counter-steering up and down. I felt more in control of the amount of bike lean. In any case, to each his/her own. Once we reached down from Athirapalli, the ride to Kochi wasn’t noteworthy, until we reached a dead end. I had no idea that reaching Fort Kochi required us to take the ferry across. Pleasant surprise indeed.

Fort Kochi to Allapuzha: Barely 1.5 hours (55kms) away is Allapuzha (or Allapey as most know it) a backwater heaven. We took a shikara (small house boat) and spent a good 2.5 hours out on the backwaters, at what I felt was a nominal INR 1200.

Allapuzha to Varkala: With Allapey out of the way, our next destination was one, which has slowly become, one of the most favorite destinations for me. The drive to Varkala itself was not so noteworthy. It’s a 2-lane highway, and after a point you can see the ocean in front. The beauty of Varkala itself is the pathway that leads up to the cliff. On one side is the Arabian Sea and on the other, you will find Café’s, small shops and multiple resorts. It’s a fantastic experience to sit on a cushioned seat, sip on some coffee while soaking in the vista in front of you. One recommendation is to visit Kappil beach. A lake on one side and the beach on the other.

Varkala to Vagamon: Varkala to Vagamon is in my opinion, a slightly tedious journey. It’s only around 160kms, but it took us around 5 hours, with the heat beating down harshly too. The roads winding up to Vagamon itself were not so good. There were some harsh patches with deep potholes. It would be too harsh to compare it to the road to Khardungla, but I did get reminded of it in some places. Nonetheless, that’s the experience that lasts.

Vagamon to Munnar: This was barely 110kms journey. While the road got narrower, the grin on my face became wider. We crossed the large Idukki dam and multiple pitstops were made to capture the tea estates. We stayed a little away from Munnar itself, in Tulsi Village Retreat, which is a lovely spot in the middle of nature. Worth a visit.

Munnar to Valparai: On way we had a fall, none of us (humans and bike) being damaged in any way. It gave me an opportunity to pick up my vehicle using my feet, which I did successfully, making me realize how easy it is indeed.
Valparai – if you’re a biker, you have either already been here, heard about it, or are planning to ride up soon enough. The word Paradise falls short in describing the ride up to this insanely beautiful place. The ride up consists of 40 hairpin bends, each marked as X/40. Seeing 40/40 is a mixture of accomplishment and at the same time leaves you wanting more.

Valparai to Home: I honestly felt that 12 days out on the road would be exhausting for me since I’d never actually done it before. Strangely, it felt like we could go on. Alas, we rode back, which made for a good 420kms journey back home. Wife and I took turns on the highway. It was as pleasant as it could be, out on the open highway, up until the time we hit Hosur, where the mayhem began. It took a while to get re-acquainted to the concept of heavy traffic, but we did eventually make our way through it all and back home on a journey that we covered leisurely in 9 hours, with all pitstops in between.

My experience on the RE Himalayan so far:

Variant: RE Himalayan BSIV, 411cc, non-ABS.

Seat height: The bike appears tall and the seat height appears intimidating, but it's just 800mm. Anyone over 5ft 5in, should find it quite easy to touch both feet down at once.

Visibility & size of mirrors: The stock mirrors are just about the worst thing on the bike. I have never understood how so many Himalayans continue to ply with it. It was the first thing I changed. I attempted to procure the KTM mirrors but due to their unavailability, I went for the old Bajaj Pulsar mirrors. They offer a wide view of the road behind, and are quite adjustable to provide a good longitudinal view.

Headlamps: The stock headlamps have been adequate for me so far. Even though I have auxilliary lights installed, I rarely use them. If there's one complaint I have with them, it's the fact that the high beam literally points to the sky above.

Practicality: Seat removal is as practical as it gets. The key is used to remove the rear seat, which once removed, also allows for the rider seat to be removed without removal of any nuts/bolts. There is a small area of storage for papers, but I recommend that you store them in sealed plastic as water can get to that area. The rear master cylinder is left open, so I've installed one available online (Sample here: https://www.amazon.in/NexusGears-Mas.../dp/B07T173ZDN)

City experience: Although it gives the illusion of being a big bike, it is very easily manouverable within city. The handlebar allows for a very short turning radius. The engine does tend to heat up in start-stop traffic but I've never found it inconvenient. The one big headache comes from the gear shift between 1 and 2. The gear ratio does not allow for quick shifting to the 2nd gear (as a lot of us prefer). Shift anywhere before you touch 20kmph, and the engine might stall unless you allow for some clutch play. That can be irksome initially, but as always, one gets used to it over time. Find an open stretch, and you find yourself cruising at 80kmph in no time.

Highway experience: If you're looking at low RPM crusing at 130kmph out on the highway, this is not the bike for you. The RE takes time to reach 100kmph but once there, it'll settle in nicely and allow you to go all day long. Even a 120kmph if you push but I find that it's best suited at speeds upto a 100kmph. The top speed I have touched is 140kmph.

Vibrations: This is an RE that does not vibrate, in the sense that all bikes vibrate but this is no Bullet. You can go upwards of 100kmph without feeling any vibrations.

Exhaust note: The exhaust note is the right amount of throaty, but I personally don't pay too much attention to it. It is to me, quite satisfying.

NVH levels: At upwards of 100kmph, the engine does get loud. It is always recommended to wear ear plugs.

Part replacements: I have read that the cone set needs replacement from time to time. I can sense that mine is due now.

After-sales service: So far, I have found my service experience to be satisfactory. The service engineers are quick to identify parts that may need replacement if not immediately, then in the consequent service. Shockingly, with the exception of my 3rd service that cost me 2k, all my services have cost me less than 400 rupees. It's likely that I've not needed any major replacements yet.

Being a 411cc engine, one would expect at the very minimum 35bhp of power and more torque than 32Nm that it provides. This is quite easily the one thing that prevents this bike from being sold in larger numbers. Me personally, at this point in time, prefer the 100kmph cruising speed. I have not needed more power up until now, but given the fact that there are bikes being sold for a lot less and throwing bigger power/torque figures, it tends to be disappointing from time to time. And then I go out for a ride and I forget all about numbers. The RE's current engine may not have your grinning, but the overall riding experience certainly will. The one thing that I can say for certain about the RE is that it has great presence. If you're on one, you're sure to get quite a few glances when at a traffic light. From time to time, I also get stopped on the road and asked about my experience with it.
I'd like to end by saying one thing that stuck with me: Seldom do we ride solely for the destination - the journey always takes precedence in our hearts.

Attaching some pics of the bike and the trip:

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191228102156937_cover.jpg
Trying to get the bike out at aforementioned Kappil beach. Turned out to be a cool shot (me thinks).

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00100dportrait_00100_burst20191230153318185_cover.jpg
The twisties winding up to Valparai. An hour for 12kms.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191223_133318.jpg
Fisherman's wharf near Bekal Fort.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191223_144954.jpg
Muzhuppilangad Drive-in Beach. One of a kind experience.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191225_170410.jpg
A bit of art at Fort Kochi...and the painting behind of an old woman.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_112510.jpg
Rynox Nomad saddlebags.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_112619.jpg
The bike with its full setup somewhere near Munnar.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_112634.jpg
Viaterra Fly Magnetic.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_112643.jpg
The snug-fitting Mototech Urbane gloves.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_112701.jpg
Fego Float seat attached at the rear.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-psx_20191230_195640.jpg
A view of the hairpins descending down from Valparai, heading back home.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 5th April 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Review 3 - ending
shyamg28 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 08:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 09:31   #3
BHPian

Re: Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan

Lovely thread. Pretty detailed. You combined a travelogue with a ownership review. Nice. Riding in Kerala coast can be tedious. Though the terrain is beautiful but the coastal roads have super high traffic, zero road discipline by the locals and ribbon development on both sides of the road. So endless congestion. My Harley was running so hot and fingers went numb holding the clutch and brakes. The 190 odd kms from Calicut to Kochi took a good 7 plus hours. But the hills do compensate for it. Munnar on a bike is so beautiful. Doesn't feel like India. You are lucky you have a wife who not only joins you on the bike but rides as well. That's a rare combination. I am another person just waiting for the 650 Himalayan. That's the RE I palm to own. Enjoy and keep sharing the rides. Kudos.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 09:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb log. And great introductory review to the steed of choice! The Himalayan does make a great case for the price point it is stacked at.

I am pretty sure, considering the missus is a photographer, you have a ton more pictures to share. Do post them, we can't get enough of the hills, beaches, and the green. Ah, and the bike too!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:19   #5
BHPian

This happens to be the same day I picked up the bike from the showroom, i.e., my first day with the RE:

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20180806171039396_cover.jpg
Eagerly awaiting to get onto the saddle.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20180807_205846.jpg
Went for a short 20kms ride and on the way back, voila, my very first tyre puncture. Had to push the bike for 1.5kms before I could find a puncture repair shop. Tube tyres

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131659.jpg
Rear Master Cylinder Guard.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131716.jpg
Handlebar raisers. Well worth it for additional comfort. The arms go up by a few centimeters, makes it even better for cruising.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131721.jpg
Another shot of the handlebar raisers.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131730.jpg
The adjustable clip-on windshield. It's a boon for folks 5ft 9in and above. Zero wind buffeting. It is very sturdy, as hard as the visor on the RE and is adjustable too.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131739.jpg
Another angle of the clip on visor.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131758.jpg
Aux lights. I don't plan on keeping them on for too long. Not sure though. They're purchased from Amazon, not great quality, but they do the job for now.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131808.jpg
The additional clutch cable taped to the one in use. Must for folks that use the bike in city. I was stuck in a bad place unable to procure one for a couple of days when it broke. Best bet is to keep one additional. Replacing it easy-peasy [DIY].

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131836.jpg
Tread pattern on the MRF Metero-M Mogrip.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20200406_131857.jpg
Another angle of the rear tyre.

These are a few pics from the trip itself:

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191222160012295_cover.jpg
View of the sea from Bekal Fort.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191222_163919.jpg
Corn time at Bekal Fort.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191222_170108.jpg
Fisherman boats, sunset at Bekal.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191222_174228.jpg
A shot of the bike amidst the sunset.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191224_170916.jpg
Athirapalli falls in all its glory.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191225_144454.jpg
Chinese fishing nets at Fort Kochi.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191225_144730.jpg
Random musings.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191227_173315.jpg
Climbing up towards Varkala Cliff.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191228094946208_cover.jpg
Kappil's beach at Varkala - lake on one side and sea on another.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191228163219635_cover.jpg
Somewhere on Vagamon hills.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191228171927999_cover.jpg
Found an open patch somewhere in Vagamon. Small photo shoot a must no?

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191229_101201.jpg
Mandatory "tea-estates" photo.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20191230_120942.jpg
Another.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191230152526586_cover.jpg
View of the pristine reservoir climbing up towards Valparai.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191231100235081_cover.jpg
Half way up. Or was it half-way down? Who cares.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-00000img_00000_burst20191231101500309_cover.jpg
The hairpin bends at Valparai.

These are all I could find for now
shyamg28 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully laid out. Talk about it, my purchase was decided by the missus and she leaned towards the white one, and boy I see a doppleganger of the mods you've laid out too, especially the add on windshield, the neat rear pannier stays. Talk about it, let me add a photo of us. The bike was brand new and its first trip to Coorg.

Lovely thought of routing in the clutch spare cable, I did thought of the same while installing the mobile holder, but didn't have a cable by then. Thumbs up!

Me and Missus. She thoroughly enjoyed, the rain, the motorcycle. Not a single compliant about the comfort nor the bike. Guess what, women always love what they want, and even if they don't, they make sure to put a pretty face that masks everything well.

Mine genuinely did like the Himalayan. If it would have been on the R15, I would have been poisoned the moment I reached home. :lol

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20180607_125355.jpg

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Guess what, women always love what they want, and even if they don't, they make sure to put a pretty face that masks everything well.
I just wish we were treated the same

Seriously though, one of the primary reasons for the purchase was pillion comfort. And the Himalayan ticks that box off pretty well. I really do wish for an aftermarket rear tyre hugger though. Mud splatter to the pillion is quite disturbing.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 07:43   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
The additional clutch cable taped to the one in use. Must for folks that use the bike in city. I was stuck in a bad place unable to procure one for a couple of days when it broke. Best bet is to keep one additional. Replacing it easy-peasy [DIY].
The problem with having the ends of the control cable exposed is that it wears down the teflon coating and drastically reduces the cable life.

A more convenient means would be to keep a Vespa/Rickshaw Clutch Cable Inner and Lock under your seat along with your documents, OEM one from Bajaj RE costs about 50ish for the cable and about 10ish for the lock.

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-2b8fc949efdc5528ebba43ba82ab562f.jpg

Coastal Trip on a Royal Enfield Himalayan-sl400.jpg

This is universal and replacement takes a minute or two at best, simply pull out the old inner cable keeping the outer in place, insert the new inner and use the lock at the other end. Done.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
A more convenient means would be to keep a Vespa/Rickshaw Clutch Cable Inner and Lock under your seat along with your documents, OEM one from Bajaj RE costs about 50ish for the cable and about 10ish for the lock.
I was unaware of this option. Thank you. I'll be sure to check it out. It makes a lot more sense.
Old 4th August 2022, 22:39   #10
BHPian

Wait, the 2019 versions did not have ABS? Even single channel?
Old 16th September 2022, 05:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Wait, the 2019 versions did not have ABS? Even single channel?
I was unclear about it. It's a 2018 model. Purchased at the cusp of phasing out the BSIV non-ABS & introduction of the BSIV ABS. The trip was end of 2019.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I was unclear about it. It's a 2018 model. Purchased at the cusp of phasing out the BSIV non-ABS & introduction of the BSIV ABS. The trip was end of 2019.
It’s a dangerous proposition to ride a bike in India without a horn or ABS. Can’t say how much I felt the need for ABS on my earlier Vikrant V15. The rear tyre slid at 110 kmph when a dog decided to run for it all of a sudden from the middle of the road. Had to straighten the bike out purely physically and come to a safe stop.
Faced the same on my Himalayan ( the Kolar highway has a lot of nasty surprises) and came out unscathed. Horn is for the city racers who feel they’re Rossi or Vettel on the roads. Short right turns without looking ahead or in the mirror atleast. A 200 kg bike without strong brakes! 😔
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks