Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Converted my Honda Activa to an EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
Hello there!

Great job Looks like a very netly executed piece of work (from the short bit of the video showing the underside of the Activa). Do keep this forum updated with your ongoing work in this space.

Quick question - where have you placed the battery/batteries?

Cheers,
Praveen
Thanks a lot Praveen. The batteries are currently in the Boot, because we are conducting research. But we can definitely have them re arranged in the floor board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
looks like we are having our own in-house Tesla.
Appreciate if you could share some basic design's as it would give us EV Noobs some reason to try our hand on our old bikes
I appreciate your comment. What would you like me to include in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Interesting post. Can I request you to share the full BOM (all parts/components & accessories used) to build this solution?

In fact I was thinking of doing something similar to my old cycle and did see some kits online for the same, but did not go ahead with it (cost being one of the reasons). How about a cycle build next? :P
Well basically includes
BLDC Motor
Custom made shaft
Custom weights for cvt
Custom springs for cvt
Clutch replacement mechanism
Final drive gear pair
Controller
Battery pack
BMS
Wiring
Covering plates
Mounting adapter
Mounting for RH crank case
DC DC converter for 12V systems
Charger for charging
Brackets for battery and DC DC converter.
E-Throttle
A nice paint job
And a smile on the face while riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powershift View Post
Great work done here. Appreciate your enthusiasm.
Isn't the CVT prone to loss due to the slip between pulley and belt?
Also, the centrifugal clutch needs some rev up to start transferring the torque to the driven pulley. Thats shear loss of energy. How do you manage these losses?
A. The Centrifugal clutch has been eliminated.

B. The CVT has been re engineered with custom made weights and springs in order to operate in the Motor’s torque range.

C. No matter which EV you consider there will always be some sort of reduction between the motor and the wheel. And more or less the efficiency drop remains the same in all of them. In this case it’s the CVT. But barely any drop though.

D. The Advantages we have achieved with a well tuned CVT out weight the losses extraordinarily.

We actually have done with almost a 50% sized motor and battery thus reducing weight and cost too in my opinion for similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2B View Post
Hi StuntFreak,

Can you say, whether the same setup of Activa will work in an old Kinetic Honda?

Will it fit in the engine bay?
It should. But as of date my CVT redesign for the Activa / Dio / Pleasure is ready. We will have to work around the CVT of the Kinetic Honda. But yea it’s possible.

Last edited by stuntfreak : 3rd June 2020 at 02:25.
stuntfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:26   #17
BHPian

Can we convert Petrol Bike to Electric Bike?

Hello All,

One of my friend located in Bengaluru wants to know if he can convert his Hero Splendor bike to Electric bike? It's around 10 years old. I was surprised not find any article or thread in TBHP regarding the same. I did get a whatsapp video that showed someone converting their petrol bike to electric by replacing the petrol tank with batteries & EV kit.

I'm yet to reach out to local shops to check on the possibility. I do find some articles in Google but not sure of its authenticity / reliability.

I would like to know the following

1. How much would it cost to convert to electric?
2. Is it legal and any recognized company that already does it?
3. Is it safe? How long will this work without changing critical parts (EV Kit)?
4. How would the batteries get charged? Would it require a separate charging station / port to be installed at his place? (My friend lives in an apartment complex)

If this is possible, Can someone refer to any local company / place in Bengaluru where he can get his conversion done?

Thanks in Advance

Note: Moderators, Kindly request you to move it to the right thread as I could find any such thread. Sorry about it.
NvrGivUp is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th September 2021, 15:22   #18
BHPian

Re: Converted my Honda Activa to an EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
We have re engineered the CVT of the Activa with a lot of new components made in-house to maintain the motor’s performance at its max. This has enabled us to use a fairly smaller motor for the same performance of a stock Honda activa.

My range is limited to 42 kms on single seat and 35 kms on double seat but I’m happy with the same as I use this vehicle to go around the corner and buy small stuff or else send my boys to fetch some parts and all.
Hello Stuntfreak, saw your EV conversion projects. A big thumbs up to you. Unfortunately couldn't view the video you uploaded, can you re-upload it.

I have an Activa which is a 2003 model. Have spent around Rs.20k on it after it completed 15 years. The expense mainly was for repainting it and re-registering it after small engine maintenance. Even after doing engine reboring, the condition of engine isn't up to mark and engine oil gets burnt up every 500km. I am considering to convert it into an EV.

But I am skeptical whether the RTO would allow it to ply on road after conversion. Do you carry out conversion commercially/ Could you help convert my Activa to an EV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks